Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

False Reporting Threat (Greyrose Please Read)

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 02, 2009
Dear Professor Greyrose,
Yesterday I was at someones house, and he told me to get out or he will report me, so I did. And then he reported me anyway! I was very mad because I was reported for no reason. And then his friend ported to me and told me he would report me for false reporting if I reported his friend that reported me for false reporting! And I didn't want my acount banned, so I didn't report him. What should I have done in this situation??

Administrator
When you report someone, or you are reported, a message is sent directly to Mr Lincoln that includes the chat logs of everything that was said before and after that report.

Mr Lincoln then reads the log and assess the situation. He determines how bad the offense was, looks up prior offenses for the reported individual, and based on that assessment he issues sanctions such as muting or banning and sends an email to the offending account explaining the violation and the sanctions.

If the report was falsely made, that is determined as well, and the player who made the false report is investigated as to whether or not they have made previous false reports. False reports are just a egregious as valid ones, and similar sanctions can be levied against repeat offenders of false reporting.

Everything that a player enters into the chat window is logged. These larger chat logs are also routinely checked for those infractions that are not reported.

What is Considered a Reportable Offense?
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior. We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use. The old story of “the kid that cried wolf” has a lot of bearing in this situation and we trust that all reports received by players are valid and require support intervention.

What is NOT considered a Reportable Offense?
Because false reporting can be construed and/or used as harassment of other players, we’d like to take a moment to ensure you are aware of what does NOT fall under the category of a reportable offense:

“S/he falsely reported me” or reporting someone for false reporting (2 wrongs don’t make a right)

“Won’t leave my house” (pick your friends wisely and avail yourself of the non-porting option)

“Being rude” (We’re sorry, we can’t enforce good manners. Use the ignore button liberally &/or change realms. It’s wholly up to you to choose to stay around someone that’s not nice to you.)

“Chain Stunning” (admittedly, it’s not much fun for the receiving team, but it’s not a violation of the game rules).

“Scamming” (KingsIsle will NEVER ask for treasure card(s) in exchange for a code. Trading “cards for codes” is done at the players’ own risk. Codes are either fully public or one time use)

“Spamming” (Although the Terms of Use mention spamming, it’s related to email/web posts. Yeah, it’s annoying in game and never of profound statement. Refer to “Being Rude”).

Players who repeatedly false report can have their reporting privileges revoked.

community@wizard101.com
Delver
Aug 14, 2009
Don't worry, false reports only get the person who false reported in trouble.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
So, Professor Greyrose, you're saying that there's nothing we can do about a false report?!! Some people just sit in the commons and do nothing but file false reports and usually they say "Ha ha I reported you" or that sort of thing.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
Wait another minute. We can report people for cursing around the filters but not for false reporting or sexual usage of the filters? But we can't report for false reporting? I'd say more than fifty reports are filed every day, due to the basis of fighting between wizards all across the Spiral. And with little over three hundred employees, you can cover every single report filed, and determine false reports, and on top of all that, you read our chat logs? Like 10 Million wizards. Wow. Nicely done, KI!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
bome1 wrote:
So, Professor Greyrose, you're saying that there's nothing we can do about a false report?!! Some people just sit in the commons and do nothing but file false reports and usually they say "Ha ha I reported you" or that sort of thing.

It has nothing to do about can you do something, there is nothing you NEED to do with false reports. Filing another report to say you got false reported is just clogging the system up. When Mr. Lincoln sees the chat log from the person who reported you (even though it was false) he will see that the whole report is a shame and will either ban them (for multiple offenses) or log them as a false reporter in case they do it again (to find repeat offenders).

If you did nothing wrong, continue on your wizarding ways and ignore them. If you get caught up in retaliation (cursing, creating your own false report, etc), then YOU will be punished too.

Just like sports, the last person is just as guilty as the person who started it.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
Honestly, kingurz, if a message still comes up when we've been falsley accused, I don't believe for a second that the report didn't go through because it simply did. We may not be punished in the long term, but my friend had his chat priveleges temporarily revoked because he was "overstaying his welcome" in a house. This message is not meant to offend anyone, it is just my opinion. I know this probably won't go up, soooo maybe I'll retype it next time if it doesn't.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
bome1 wrote:
Honestly, kingurz, if a message still comes up when we've been falsley accused, I don't believe for a second that the report didn't go through because it simply did. We may not be punished in the long term, but my friend had his chat priveleges temporarily revoked because he was "overstaying his welcome" in a house. This message is not meant to offend anyone, it is just my opinion. I know this probably won't go up, soooo maybe I'll retype it next time if it doesn't.

I'm not saying the report doesn't go through. Of course it goes through. I'm suggesting that if you truly did nothing wrong, then you have nothing to worry about. There's no reason to explain you have been falsely reported, Mr. Lincoln already has more information (chat logs, actions, etc) than you can possibly give him.

However, if you have been ACTUALLY muted or sanctioned and truly believe you did nothing wrong that is different. You can appeal, just not on the forums. I assume KI makes mistakes too.

Finally, don't go simply by what your friends say. All friends NEVER do anything wrong. 9 times out of ten, when someone asks someone else to leave their house, it's not pretty. Maybe your friend was muted unnecessarily, but usually someone is going to say something not nice in those types of chats/arguments.

Again, you can 50 reports levied against you, but if you have done nothing wrong, you have nothing to worry about.