Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How long for membership to activate in game?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
I've been playing on free for about a week or so, and I just purchased a 1 month membership using the pay-by-mobile method. This was about an hour ago.

Everything went fine and I got the email that said my purchase status "succeeded", and my account panel says it's been paid.

However in-game there is no effect as of yet. I cannot access streets such as Firecat Alley and/or Cyclops Lane (nor access to other lands for that matter, even though I have gotten far enough in the game to get a quest to Krokotopia), my backpack has not expanded, etc.

I just wanted to ask here first: does the membership take effect immediately or is there a window period such as a 24-hour day before it activates?

I just want to be clear if this is normal or if I should contact support for further help.

Administrator
Well since only Members can post on the message boards I can confirm that your pre-paid Membership is active.

The reason you may be unable to access those areas is that you haven't progressed far enough in the game to be given permission to enter.

Much like reading a chapter book, Wizard101 is sequential game play (before you move to level 2 you must complete level 1).  Even if you have purchased a Membership you must first complete all of the quests in one world to be able to move on to the next.  The same thing goes for Access to some of the streets or areas within a world.  For instance, when you've successfully completed the quests for Wizard City you will be given a quest to enter into the next world, Krokotopia.  Once you have your own access there, as long as you have a Membership or have purchased the Preimium area with Crowns, you will be able to enter that world freely. 

community@wizard101.com
Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
RobertRaventhorn wrote:
my backpack has not expanded, etc.

Is it at 120? Carrying 120 items in your backpack is the member bonus.

Also, like Prof. Greyrose indicated you have to earn your way into those areas yourself. However, now that you are a member you CAN go to those places, but a friend has to let you port to them. You cannot go on your own. As Free-to-play, you cannot visit your friends in non-free areas unless you are a member or purchased the area with crowns.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
Thank you for the response.

But wouldn't my character at least have the expanded backpack slots? Or be able to participate in pet derbies? etc.
Both of which are still not enabled for my character. I don't have the 120 slot backpack.

I just find it strange that there's literally no sign of my membership when IN game. I understand that my account here on the website is activated for membership but it just hasn't seemed to be translated in the actual game (and this the following day now, so I'd imagine there was time for it to register if necessary).

I won't press the land/street access issue, because if I truly haven't reached that next level then I just have to continue to play. However I beg to differ because I have about 4 quests (from NPC's in Wizard City) on standby that require me to venture into Firecat Alley/Cyclops Lane. When I try to, I get the "premium area" message. Would that still show up if it acknowledged my membership? Wouldn't I get a message about it not being ready yet or something?

Also, wouldn't the "Upgrade Now" button on the top left corner of my screen disappear?

I'm just saying, there is literally nothing on my IN GAME account that indicates I am a member.

Any suggestions?
Should I proceed to contact support?

Survivor
Jun 12, 2010
Yes but I was given the quest for Krokotopia and I have just bought my membership, why is that I can't enter the world?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
superjewjosh wrote:
Yes but I was given the quest for Krokotopia and I have just bought my membership, why is that I can't enter the world?

No matter how many quests you are given for Krokotopia, until the Headmaster (Merle Ambrose) sends you there with his quest you can't access that world on your own.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
RobertRaventhorn wrote:
Any suggestions? Should I proceed to contact support?

Absolutely. If you are a member, the upgrade now icon is suppose to go away and the backpack, cooldown timers, energy refill bonuses, etc take effect immediately.

The pet derby is different, however. You can only participate in Pet Derby if you have a pet that is at least level Teen.

If you've already talked to the guard in Old Town, you should have access to Firecat Alley, Cyclops Lane and Triton Avenue now that you are a member.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2010
kingurz wrote:
superjewjosh wrote:

No matter how many quests you are given for Krokotopia, until the Headmaster (Merle Ambrose) sends you there with his quest you can't access that world on your own.

Merle Ambrose gave me the quest to go to the Big tree in Ravenwood(Spiral Portal) and I tried entering but I was not able to because I wasn't a member/had enough crowns. I bought the memebership just yesterday and it still did not let me. It was a succeeded purchase according to the email.

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
kingurz wrote:
RobertRaventhorn wrote:
Any suggestions? Should I proceed to contact support?

Absolutely. If you are a member, the upgrade now icon is suppose to go away and the backpack, cooldown timers, energy refill bonuses, etc take effect immediately.

The pet derby is different, however. You can only participate in Pet Derby if you have a pet that is at least level Teen.

If you've already talked to the guard in Old Town, you should have access to Firecat Alley, Cyclops Lane and Triton Avenue now that you are a member.

Okay thanks for the info. I did submit a support ticket yesterday evening, since I still haven't seen any change on my account , so hopefully it'll be worked out a.s.a.p.

Just have to wait I guess.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
RobertRaventhorn wrote:

But wouldn't my character at least have the expanded backpack slots? Or be able to participate in pet derbies? etc.
Both of which are still not enabled for my character. I don't have the 120 slot backpack.

That depends. Its my understanding that a continuing membership, such as one purchased on a credit card that renews automatically, is necessary for some of these features. Did you purchase crowns to unlock areas, or did you actually purchase a subscription?

Survivor
Jul 05, 2011
I just wanted to post that everything is working fine now after contacting support. :) They fixed it for me. So thank you Wizard101 Support and thank you everyone who posted trying to help me figure out the issue.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
RobertRaventhorn wrote:

That depends. Its my understanding that a continuing membership, such as one purchased on a credit card that renews automatically, is necessary for some of these features. Did you purchase crowns to unlock areas, or did you actually purchase a subscription?

Gtarhannon,

Because Robert is posting to the forums, they are a subscriber. Players who opt to purchase areas by crowns cannot post to the forums.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
Gtarhannon,

Because Robert is posting to the forums, they are a subscriber. Players who opt to purchase areas by crowns cannot post to the forums.

Ah... I see. Clearly I have never purchased in any way other than a subscription. :D