Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

pvp storm

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 26, 2010
This is my first post. I am not sure that it will accomplish anything but I am willing to try. This is about playing pvp against a storm 1v1. I say that because I have not encounter this problem when playing pvp 4v4, or other team duels. I, personally, no longer enjoy dueling storm in 1v1 pvp because they do not pvp. They just keep using wild bolt and insane bolt until you are defeated and even with shields this is usualy around five hits or less depending what damage the wild bolts inflicted. I could defend against wild bolt if that was all there was. But, they finish with insane bolt and there is no defense to 10k damage, especially when you are at a third health. You cannot attack because you spend your turns either healing or shielding. This is not pvp this is whole sale slaughter and KI has given the storm wizards the spells that allow storm to defeat any other shool in five hits or less. I enjoyed pitting my strategy against other players but using wild bolt and insane bolt exclusively is not strategy. It is an easy win but the better player probably did not win because the other player couldn,t even attack, and if the storm happens to go first the other player may not even get a chance if the storm leads with insane bolt. I guess my point is that KI has made pvp miserable if you are against a storm who uses this method and most (90%) of storm do now, thanks to the release of insane bolt. So, I have decided that since ranked 1v1 pvp is no longer enjoyable, I just won't play ranked pvp unless KI does something to make storm playable and defeatable again. I have come up against more than twenty storm using this same tactic, wild bolt & insane bolt combo, and after the amount of defeats that occurred in five hits or less, I decided to post my complaint. I am unsure if anyone else has addressed this issue and I apologize if this is a duplicate thread. I just felt the need to verbalize my complaint about the situation. :( :(

Defender
Jun 14, 2010
If you really want the game to be changed like that, get more posts, which gives a person more power on these message boards, get a lot of people to agree with you, post something that actually needs to be fixed with no way around it, and hint about it in every message you post or reply to, as it is technically not spamming. I have seen darthjt and seasnake act like this, and really, it might work some day.
So, your problem: constant Wildbolt and Insane Bolt.

Solution to Insane Bolt: You're right. It does do 10k damage. 10k damage to the user twenty percent of the time. It only does one thousand damage to the enemy, and it's a moon spell, so storm really can't boost it with anything except for Feint and maybe Dragonblade, if their pet gives it to them. Really though, not that many Storm wizards have pets that give Dragonblade, as most Storm wizards favor pets with talents like "spell-proof" and Spritely. Like most people. Plus, Insane Bolt isn't the most accurate spell. Also, if this is really a problem, use Fortify, Tower Shield, combine it with the universal resists from waterworks gear and be done with it.

Solution to Wildbolt: Okay. Wildbolt used to do one thousand damage for two pips. The only downside: ten percent accuracy. It was meant as a last-ditch effort to kill something. Like Insane Bolt is now. But, Storm wizards abused accuracy boosts just so they could use Wildbolt and end a match fast. They later on fixed Wildbolt to do 10, 100 or 1,000 damage, with 1,000 damage happening maybe ten percent of the time. Storm wizards mainly use Wildbolt to break shields now. Wildbolt is not the problem. And I highly doubt that you had twenty consecutive matches against storm wizards and lost at each one just because they got lucky with Wildbolt or Insane Bolt. Twenty matches. That's maybe five more storm wizards then I've faced in all my times PvPing, which is a little over 200. The majority seems to be balance and ice wizards.
and really, not playing PvP hardly affects Kingsisle. What would affect them more would be if several people stopped playing the game and giving Kingsisle money for a subscription. Then, they'd probably fix an issue fast.

Explorer
May 12, 2010
Well, considering most people spam storm shields and tower shields, some storm characters feel limited on what they can do and use.

Now, if they use Wildbolt, they have a chance of doing only 10, 100, or 1000 damage for 2 pips. Now, you put up a shield and that can take anywhere from 50% for tower, to 70% all the way to 90% for storm shields. Now, even if wildbolt hits for 1000 and you have used a 90% storm shield, it will only hit for 100 damage!

So, that leads to Insane bolt, which only tower shield will protect. It does only 1000 damage, not 10000 like you exaggerated! Also, every time storm uses this spell, they have a chance of killing themself, with no possible saving grace.

So, I am sorry, you feel that storm is just too powerful for you, but the spells they use are because of the spells and shields used against them. You have to take everything into account, not just the things you want.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Well, that doesn't sound like too much fun and I can honestly not comment on legend PvP.

What I CAN tell you is that PvP between zero and 35 is very enjoyable if you want to make a new wizard. :)

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Sometimes a short break from PvP can be really good after a discouraging time in ranked PvP. But don't quit because of it.

Get your shields up. Dealing with storm now a days simple towers won't cut it. You need to get trained in a volcanic shield, or even storm shield. For me I prefer the noob necklace that gives you 3 -85% storm shields because it works very effective I also try to use all volcanic shields I can..

It really isn't strategy, it is luck. And remember that trying to win with luck, you don't always win, they obviously just had a successful run fighting you. But insane bolt has 20% chance of killing casters. And wild Bolt doesn't always hit 1000. So my advice is get the necklace. Or maybe get a bunch of really cheap -90% treasure storm shields. I know it is kind of cheap but they aren't playing fair and sometimes you got to beat them at their own game.

But definitely don't quit because of it. In games and life things may be unfair or to hard. That doesnt mean you quit you have to go at them better than you were before. You know get some shields up and even if you don't win make that storm work for their win shield up and don't go down easy..

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
just try to outlast them. wild bolt doesnt work as well but if they keep using insane they will eventually kill themselves. i am a storm and i find this as a bad example of our school. i usually only use insane bolt as a last resort if im dying

Survivor
May 26, 2010
Just want clarify.

I am playing pvp with a legendary fire wizard.

I have both storm shield combos and tower shields. I put them up.

Maybe insane bolt is buggy because the last 1v1 pvp I played against a storm using the wild bolt/insane bolt combo the insane bolt did 17734 damage with full health, 3150, and thermic shield, plus 28% resist to storm and that has happened at least 3 other times. So, I argue, that 17734 is more than 1k damage. I, also have only encounter 1 storm who tried insane bolt as a last resort (he was barely alive) and it struck him instead of me. So far insane bolt hits more often the it backfires on wizard casting it. I still pplay practice team pvp but will not play ranked pvp until this issue is no longer a promblem. I have been playing pvp for a long time and am not clueless as to how to navigate a match. But when a match last 5 - 6 hits with no chance to attack by the opposing wizard that is not fun nor do you learn anything from it because wild bolt and insane bolt hits all deal with chance in the amount of damage the inflict.

Apparently, I seem to have irrated the gods of chance :x , some how because I almost always receive the highest damage possible from wild bolt and always, except for that 1 instance, receive the damage from insane bolt. :(

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
mystified8892 wrote:
Just want clarify.

I am playing pvp with a legendary fire wizard.

I have both storm shield combos and tower shields. I put them up.

Maybe insane bolt is buggy because the last 1v1 pvp I played against a storm using the wild bolt/insane bolt combo the insane bolt did 17734 damage with full health, 3150, and thermic shield, plus 28% resist to storm and that has happened at least 3 other times. So, I argue, that 17734 is more than 1k damage. I, also have only encounter 1 storm who tried insane bolt as a last resort (he was barely alive) and it struck him instead of me. So far insane bolt hits more often the it backfires on wizard casting it. I still pplay practice team pvp but will not play ranked pvp until this issue is no longer a promblem. I have been playing pvp for a long time and am not clueless as to how to navigate a match. But when a match last 5 - 6 hits with no chance to attack by the opposing wizard that is not fun nor do you learn anything from it because wild bolt and insane bolt hits all deal with chance in the amount of damage the inflict.

Apparently, I seem to have irrated the gods of chance :x , some how because I almost always receive the highest damage possible from wild bolt and always, except for that 1 instance, receive the damage from insane bolt. :(

Well Insane Bolt itself only has a 20% chance of hitting the caster. It isn't even because no one would use it, if it was 50-50. Because they have an 80% chance of hitting you. And then a 20% chance of hitting themselves. So using fractions the ratio is that out of 5 insane bolts they will hit themselves 1 time( Thats just the fraction ratio, not saying that is completely accurate its just ratio).

Knowing now that you are fire I think you should attack a storm's accuracy. Use smokescreen. And try some DoTs, and try to efreet often. Shields are nice but nothing can be more effective than that -90% weakness.

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010
ya once I was playing against a storm wizard and his spell killed him. At the time I had no idea what had happened so we laughed about it. I thought it was a bug. My advice would be to start playing 1v1 PRACTICE pvp against storm wizards so that you don't lose anything and you will learn a strategy to go against them. Maybe go out and buy another deck so that you can easily see before the match if they are storm and then, instead of quickly adding and changing spells, just equip your other deck. Let me know if this works.
~Laura Skywalker

Survivor
Apr 07, 2010

Knowing now that you are fire I think you should attack a storm's accuracy. Use smokescreen. And try some DoTs, and try to efreet often. Shields are nice but nothing can be more effective than that -90% weakness.

Ok so I saw this and the part about efreet is very true. I am a lvl 60 Balance Wizard and Efreet is like my biggest weakness. I just hate it. Sometimes I use shields but I hate that -90%. So I would say use Efreet because it is pretty effective. (I guess it just discourages me, but I don't like playing against fire very much because they can heal and attack at the same time)
~Laura Skywalker

Survivor
Jun 20, 2009
laurawatersong wrote:
Well, that doesn't sound like too much fun and I can honestly not comment on legend PvP.

What I CAN tell you is that PvP between zero and 35 is very enjoyable if you want to make a new wizard. :)

To the starter of this thread:
If you go second, I totally agree with you, storm is nearly unstoppable going second. However if you go first, they are relatively easy, just strategic shielding.

To the person I quoted:
I Agree with you completely, if pvp is too hard, make a new wizard between zero and 35. It is really fun! I had a life legendary and pvp was stressful and hard, but I now have a level 10 death, and I think it is great, he happens to be a warlord.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
mystified8892 wrote:
Maybe insane bolt is buggy because the last 1v1 pvp I played against a storm using the wild bolt/insane bolt combo the insane bolt did 17734 damage with full health, 3150, and thermic shield, plus 28% resist to storm and that has happened at least 3 other times. So, I argue, that 17734 is more than 1k damage. from insane bolt. :(

Insane Bolt can do more than 1000 damage if the caster has on universal damage boost gear. That's the gear with the fists with no school icon in front of them.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
The other day when I was farming the waterworks someone doing it with me admitted that they have a "clan" of diviners that spam tempest to do high hits with little or no pips. I find this very unfair and something should be done. Even in 1v1 storm people have a huge advantage they have leviathan, stormlord, triton, wild and insane bolt, and supercharge to buff themselves all of these are near impossible to beat even as a level 60 sorcerer.

Survivor
May 26, 2010

Apparently you are unaware Efreet is 8 pips, even with power pips that is 4 turns, and if I have not healed at all, which would put at nearly dead if I was lucky enough to survive this long, then one hit of Efreet will not suffice as all they have to do is still wild or insane bolt as those are only 2 pips, smokescreen is 2 pips and does no damage only delays dieing. So I still argue with new spells and gear storm is too powerful in 1v1 pvp.

Explorer
May 12, 2010
Well, there are many versions and types of storm shields! There is tower shield and treasure tower shield, there is also pet tower shields.

Also, every time that storm uses insane bolt, they do have a chance to kill themself without any chance of survival.

So, plan, think ahead, the best defense is sometimes the best offense!

Storm is not as powerful as you believe, you just can't be intimidated by them!

Also, hit them quickly if you want, helephant can do massive damage and if you critical it, storm can be dead, they don't have that much health.