Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Under levels going to Dragonspyre

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 12, 2008
Don't you hate it when you type out a really long response and the forum "forgets" that you logged in?
ccourter wrote:
The problem there wasn't the low level, it was the level 30+ (I think he's higher, about 37 or 38) who fled.

Those are the people who cause problems. They port to you then flee after another mob has added. Up through Mooshu it wasn't a huge problem, but I can see it being a huge problem in Dragonspyre. And in that case, level limits won't have a single effect.

Thank you. This is what I've been trying to say all along. The problems being discussed in this thread have nothing to do with level and have everything to do with skill and common courtesy.

If someone on your list is causing you problems, remove them from your list. If a random person on the streets is causing you problems, change realms or log out for a bit.

I'll continue to occasionally take lower level characters of mine into areas they haven't reached yet. I never jump into anyone's battle without asking and I would never dream of joining a battle that I couldn't feasibly win alone if necessary. My personal opinion is that as long as I'm not ruining someone else's gameplay, I can play how I want, especially since 99% of the time I'm playing alone. It's the people that ruin someone else's gameplay that are the problem and it has absolutely nothing to do with level. You will encounter this in any MMO.

NeoStar wrote:
8)
Ok, maybe I wasn't clear enough : I was saying ANY Quest, not just Side. If you are high enough to get a Quest, then you should be tough enough to hold your own against somebody. I myself have a Fire Wizard who got into Krokotopia around 12th or 13th level, a couple of levels shy of the Foulgaze Quest that lets you access the Spiral. I was able to do a couple of simple "Run and Retrieve" style of Quests, which raised my level and allowed me to do the Main Quests sooner

That's all I was saying : If you're not tough enough to do a Quest in a world, you really have no reason to be there yet except impatience....

And I respect your viewpoint in any case ... thanx for yours...

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 35, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")
8)

I thank you for clearing up my misunderstanding, Scarlet. I mistakenly thought you meant you should be able to access ALL quests in an area. I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand.

As a side note: They must have changed the Krokotopia requirements. I have a character that got the Foulgaze quest at level 9 and the completion of that quest bumped me over to enter the spiral for Krokotopia at level 10.

Survivor
Dec 24, 2008
I would have to both agree and disagree. Due to being a low level wizard it is natural that they have no idea what's going on. based on experience i think that you state a very valid point.I have just recently been fighting very hard bosses and had to leave them because people kept coming into them even when i said not to.

Although i have also asked many friends to help me on bosses or help me kill other creatures. They have done a wonderful job in helping me defeat them.

Personally, i think they should earn their way up to these worlds and leave them to the higher levels to deal with the fights.

Sincerely,
Nicholas Iceflower

-45 Ice/Life

Survivor
Sep 14, 2008
I'm with you the dead eye except My levels are different
Krok 15
MB 26
MS 38
DS 45
that is what i think because if a level 3 teleports to you facing the big bad himself he would die in one shot :( :( :( :(

Survivor
Dec 12, 2008
uune wrote:
How about making it impossible to teleport to a friend in an area you haven't gained access to? This would make people have to work hard to get to good places. I was actually once in a combat where I was fighting two monsters, and a friend teleported in, a monster joined, and they fled. And I only prepare my deck for two monsters unless I know I will need to face more (I do have trasure cards just in case, but it was annoying).

if you do this then your finds can't help when you need them. When you get to the higher levels not all of your friends are still around as much, especially if they beat Malistare already. I agree with the post earlier, just cull your friends list or lay out some ground rules.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Really, there's no way to put a 100% guaranteed stop to this kind of thing. Perhaps instead of a level requirement, it could be based off of worlds. To clarify, once you UNLOCK MooShu, you gain the ability to port to friends in Dragonspyre. But that still might leave out some capable duelists.

I still liked my level requirements I posted in a similar topic
Krok: 5
Marleybone: 15
MooShu: 25
Dragonspyre: 35

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Okay so I am sure that no one that is FOR limits ...you NEVER jumped ahead to view a world you hadn't made it to?

No one here has convinced me...I am against limits.

Explorer
Dec 16, 2008
LordAnubis wrote:
Admittedly, I was slightly annoyed at seeing level 20's running around dragonspyre because they were asking me to help them fight things they really shouldn't be fighting. Similarly I had someone world jumping ask me to get them to Mooshu. His level was high enough to be able to beat Big Ben on his own, but his reason was was "I don't know."

Might just be the elitest in me peeking out to speak, but it would be nice to have level mins on levels, just to put some kind of buffer on the people coming into the areas. I occasionally do my community service stint of going back and helping low level wizards with quests they are having a rough time on, but afterwards I have people showing up just before a fight and doubling the number of minions I have to fight and they aren't up to pulling their weight.

I've since removed all the people who were doing that, but when your nearing the end of a long instance level, or you have been working on grinding a boss to get an item drop, it'd be nice not to have to start over because someone wasn't considerate.

Again, quiet possibly the elitest in me wanting to tell them to actually earn access to the level.

I know how you feel, I'm level 29 pyromancer in MB and people from
WC are asking me to help them beat Lady Blackhope :x

Explorer
Dec 22, 2008
Cynical wrote:
Okay so I am sure that no one that is FOR limits ...you NEVER jumped ahead to view a world you hadn't made it to?

Actually, I have NEVER jumpled ahead to view a world seeing as I solo'd the entire game (except for Malistaire).

As a matter of fact, since I like to solo, I play mostly in the wee hours and on almost deserted servers. My prime hours are usually at 3am (I love when KI has to take the game down at this time! )

Made it quite difficult when I got to Malistaire, but luckily there are some great people out there who gave me a hand when I needed it.

Do I want to see limits? Don't know, as it has never really effected me. In my opinion, if you don't want people just jumping in, maybe you need to take a look at your friends list? or have a conversation with those that do...

Just my opinion, means nothing to anyone but myself!

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
I don't really think I ever jumped ahead. I was a little curious about what the new worlds would hold, but you know what? It just motivated me to UNLOCK THE PLACE! Porting to a friend to get a sneak peek, fair enough. But people who just want to play all the time in worlds they haven't unlocked sicken me.

People that say to take a look at your friends list if you have a problem with it are thinking too short term. These people don't just disappear after being removed from a friends list, they look for a new taxi person, using badges they don't really deserve to have unlocked as covers for their levels.

When you cut people off from getting to a world prematurely, you force them to work for it. If you want to taxi your way through the game at level 5, you shouldn't be playing because you'll probably never appreciate the worlds the same way as anyone else that actually WORKED to unlock it.

The fact of the matter is that these people that teleport ahead aren't really going to be stopped by being removed from someone's friends list. People asking for warnings may not have tried teleporting to friends recently, it tells you where your friend that you are telporting to actually is in the game.

For those of you that don't think it's fair to the other players that behave, YOU'RE RIGHT! But, you know what, it only takes a few people to ruin it for the whole. It happens everywhere, schools, military, etc. In my schools, and I'm sure most other schools, gum is not allowed. Why? A few students couldn't be responsible with the privilege, and it was taken away.

I spent a short time in the military and we'd have policy changes left and right based off of what people were doing to break the rules. All in all, we'd be told it was probably 5% of the people that were ruining things for the other 95% of us.

So, teleporting to your friends is a privilege. If people are going to abuse it, expect it to go away. Responsibility and consequence seem to be on their way towards things of the past. If the faculty wants to actually set a model for kids, I recommend implementing the level requirements and explaining why it was done. This way, everyone gets a lesson in responsibility and has a chance to really learn the value of working towards getting what you want.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
Cynical wrote:

You obviously haven't had the unpleasure of someone jumping in at the last minute unannounced to where you get defeated because they popped in, brought more enemies into the fight, got defeated and fled, or you yourself were defeated because of the additions.

I will however admit that I too did this to some and realizing how unfair and unjust it is to those in that higher level to have to pick up were I was defeated when I didn't even ask to join in the first place. Is that fair? Is that right?

I think not....

Hunter SilverHeart

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
Other than my comment to Cynical, I'd also like to put on here that I agree with the comments about "weeding" through your friends list. I am a HUGE helper of others meaning I make it a point to help others in their quests BUT they all know that they have to ask before charging in or I WILL delete them. All of my friends understand and I give the same respect to where I ask them before I come charging in. This is a game of starting from the bottom and working your way up the ladder to the end. It is YOUR responsibility to make it through your OWN quests. Not to go and pop in on others uninvited and mess up what they are trying to accomplish. It is also not fair to those lower levels that have not had the pleasure of meeting someone who can get to the upper worlds to where they can get nice prizes (Drops) for battling with an upper level person.

I very much agree with the Level restrictions and beg the Professors to PLEASE put this in to stop this madness....

Thanks,
Hunter SilverHeart

Survivor
Feb 17, 2009
Cynical wrote:

I never jumped ahead to view a world I hadn't made it to. Part of the fun of the game is the reward for completing the quests and unlocking new areas. Why play, if you are going to bypass that accomplishment?

A lot of these people that skip content just want everything handed to them. When I was in Mooshu, a young wizard joined in on the ghost boss fight in Village of Sorrows, which I had already solo'd earlier, not knowing who he was before I had the quest. He was too low level to be there, perhaps in his late teens, I believe. Seemed an ok kid for that bit. He of course sent a friend invite, which I accidently accepted because I was typing and hit Enter. I went ahead and left him on my friends list, however.

About half an hour later, he sent me a text that said "HELP ME." Then before I could respond, he sent another that said "I helped you, so now you have to help me!" After I explained to him how being rude was not the way to ask for help, he apologized, and I went to teleport to him, only to find that he was in Dragonspire. I had not been there yet, and explained that to him, and he got rude again, because I would have had to wait to download the area. He is no longer on my friends list.

This is the type of person that just wants everything handed to him, without having to actually work for it himself. He is the very reason that there needs to be level limits to worlds. As ShadowTwisted stated - and I am ex-military myself - a few bad apples ruin it for the whole bunch.

Survivor
Jan 04, 2009
Ok, I totally agree. I am tired of newbies in Dragonspyre. And I see people posting about removing them from your friend list. But the problem is that not always are the ones you have in your friend list, ITS SOMEONE ELSE WHO TELL THEM TO PORT TO DRAGONSPYRE. So lets say you have to complete a quest where you have to defeat Draconians. Everyone knows they are strong. Lets say you are a Diviner Wizard. Ok you have to Draconians and you defeat one of them, but the battle its long because either they use shields to protect or you fizzle. Now when you defeat one of the Draconians you have low health. Now here comes this NEWBIE and join your battle making another Draconian in. And then he goes and flee because he finds the Draconians to hard but not before destroying the traps you put on the Draconian. Now you are in the situation of where you have low health and to Draconians in front of you. So yeah I really think really really REALLY THINK! They should put a STOP to that. If they are not level enough to get to Dragonspyre they should not be there making other Wizards life harder as it is.

Signed: Angel

Explorer
Sep 11, 2008
I dont think porting to other place when you're a low lvl is bad. They probably are just having a hard time lvling up. If KI makes a special place for specific lvls with the same rank as the wizard with more xp then people would be happier or if someone is porting to you a message should say something like this to you when they are porting at the top of your screen: " (friend's name, and lvl) would like to port to you. Do you accept? "

Then at the bottom of the message it says " Yes or No " so people won't have to be sooooooo mad about this.

Destiny MistGem

Destiny MistFist

Survivor
Nov 13, 2008
you now what i think they could come because an appentece came to help me with one boss and he didn't flee so i don't care if under levels come or not it's just rude to tell them to not come and even if there under lvled they can still help you.

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Dorrisa wrote:
if someone is porting to you a message should say something like this to you when they are porting at the top of your screen: " (friend's name, and lvl) would like to port to you. Do you accept? "

Then at the bottom of the message it says " Yes or No " so people won't have to be sooooooo mad about this.

You aren't the first person to suggest this mechanic, but there's a flaw to it. Other people in Dragonspyre who aren't friends with the person still have no control over that lower level player getting in. The other day I had to practically carry a lower level through a fight and TWICE he had a low level friend port in that immediately fled, two different people by the way. Now, the lower level is NOT my friend, he jumped into my street battle which means someone else brought him along. He was a terrible duelist and I at one point outright said that I was going to flee and leave him for dead. Only reason I didn't is I needed to beat the guys to complete a quest. Probably the single most agitating thing the kid did was chose to use a ghoul right after I put up a death prism. My attack that I had planned would have killed the enemy in one hit and I only carry two prisms in my deck. So, I ended up using one of my cache` of Reshuffle treasure cards to be able to finish the fight. All said and done, I killed 3 of the 4 and did close to half the damage on the last one. The only positive note on his spells was that he was kind enough to put a tower shield on me. He only got attacked once during the whole battle and used a pixie immediately after, even though it was only a ghoul he got hit with.

I understand wanting to brag about accomplishments, but some lower levels put an unbearable strain on the people that actually earned their passage. I understand that not all lower level players are bad at strategy and can handle themselves well. After all, I think I give a reasonable window for the level caps I suggested, 35 for dragonspyre. I have a friend who I helped out with a few of the Sunbrand quests who was still in Marleybone, but she handled herself well in battle and I found that it was easy to get through the boss fights we went through. I think she was still a few levels lower than the limit I suggested, but I would help her get them in a heartbeat.

Defender
Oct 19, 2008
There should actually be a limit on levels going to those lands, because you don't want someone that is level 15 in marleybone, it just does'nt work.

Wizard City- none

Krokotopia- 10 or 15

Marleybone 15 or 20 or 25

Mooshu- 25 or 30

Dragonspyre- 35 or 40

Eventually... Celestia- 40 or 45

these are my best guesses

Explorer
Nov 02, 2008
TheDeadEye wrote:
A minimum level would stop power levelers and sight-seers cold. Sounds good to me.

Krok 10
Marleybone 15
MooSoo 25
Dragonspyre 30

Anyone lower than this would have no business going past the first area in each world.

To tell you the truth, that doesn't seem right to me. I am 100% with you on the level cap for Krokotopia. But I think the cap for Marleybone is a little off. I was at least LV. 26 or LV. 25 when I made it to MB. but seiriously. But anyway, Mooshu should be LV. 32, so they will be prepared for Rank 5's superior spells. And finally, DragonSpyre should be like, LV 42, so they should be prepared for the hardest enemies and they can use a spell such as Wraith,
or Hydra. But that's just me.

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
For the record: I have died in battle when some little wizard either jumped in (don't know HOW he got to Mooshu) or when a little wizard I had friended some time ago just decided to port.

Bottom line is I have children and grandchildren who play and I know how curious they are. They aren't mean...they just want to see. I let them see then tell them to go work their way there. They work harder on the quests then so they can join me.

What is the worst that can happen? You die. Only you don't really DIE, it might hurt your feelings or ego...but really...it doesn't cause you real physical pain.

Funny I don't hear the kids complaining about the grown-ups!

Explorer
Mar 03, 2009
Well, the saying goes, "patience is a virtue". Adults are generally better at keeping their self discipline in check while trying to reach their goals. Children, on the other hand, are often more impulsive with the "but I want it NOW!" sort of attitude. They also don't have as solid a concept of consequences, which is where the problems come in. I respect that the little kids wanna jump ahead, but I feel the level gap would be like a more solid "No, after you eat your vegetables" sort of thing.

As far as dying, it's a setback. You get teleported to the Commons and you start with a generous 1 hp. If you were solo in an instance, expect to start over.

Survivor
Jan 24, 2009
I hate to be a constant downer, but i have to agree. I'm constantly getting attacked in ports by lvl 20s and 30s in Dragonspyre. It gets me really annoyed when people port when i'm right on the edge of killing the last minion about to die and boom, someone ports and leaves me with another minion.

I think lvl 40 should be the lowest if so for Dragonspyre.

Even so I think they should just ask before they port. It really gets annoying.

~ Olivia GhostCatcher lvl 50 Necromancer

Survivor
Jul 23, 2008
Maybe the developers could add a option that doesn't allow friends to teleport to you. So if you're battling in a public street you can stop your friends at least. And if you're in a instance, BOOM, no more annoying friends porting to you and then their friends porting too.(IF you're soloing)

Defender
Aug 19, 2008
Actually my son had a great idea:

A toggle switch on the make a friends selection: that you could change from "any port" to "ask before port"

What do you think about that?

Mastermind
Sep 20, 2008
Cynical wrote:
Actually my son had a great idea:

A toggle switch on the make a friends selection: that you could change from "any port" to "ask before port"

What do you think about that?

I have been a fan of something like for a long time, since it eliminates headaches later on for you and the one who thinks they know what they are doing.

One time (a memory I curse whenever it comes up), a low-level Ice Wizard Ported into a battle I was involved with on Krokotopia, and then instantly ran after drawing in a third monster.

They are no longer on my Friend List, and my current List is much smaller than it use to be....

Scarlet SkullHammer (Death 39, Black Cat Pet, "Shadow")

Survivor
Mar 28, 2009
I think you should send a request in order for someone to teleport or they send you one for you to approve that way if you dont want lower levels to join you in a high ranked battle they wont bother you unless you aprve