Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Leveling Up off the Beaten Path?

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Hi All,

My question is for Ravenwood Professors and/or any wizard who has encountered my current dilemma:

I'm a level 46 Necromancer who has the Wintertusk quests. I have barely started the Atheneum in Dragonspyre, but I finished Grizzleheim yesterday.

Although it would be extremely difficult, I could quest in Wintertusk to reach Grandmaster Necromancer. However, I'm worried about getting my level 48 spell, Scarecrow. Will I be able to gain my level 48 spell if I do not follow the traditional path from Mooshu to Dragonspyre? Has anyone done this yet? Is it wise to continue forward in Wintertusk, or should I go back to Dragonspyre and level up there?

I will admit to being very surprised that I am able to quest in Wintertusk at such a low level. Is it the intent of KI that wizards may take this alternate route to leveling up? Or have I stumbled onto an unintentional path down which I should not travel?

Please reply, as I don't want to keep going if my course is unwise,

Moira Shadowmancer, Master Necromancer & Artisan, GM Gardener

PS- No noob-bashing, please. It isn't my fault that I have this dilemma, I haven't ported to people in places I shouldn't go, nor have I skipped any quests whatsoever 8)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I may not be a professor here, but, I may help with what I say.

Put all thoughts and indecisions aside, and finish Dragonspyre. Once you finish Dragonspyre, the "traditional" path would lead you to Celestia.

I have read a few posts in the past arguing whether Celestia or Wintertusk was easier. Celestia follows the story line. Wintertusk is much like Grizzleheim, does not really follow the main story, but is more or less a sequel to the Grizzleheim story.

So, I suppose, you could do either. At level 55, Wintertusk area is required for your spell. At level 58, Wintertusk area is required for you to obtain your pet. At level 58, Celestia area is required to receive your final spell.

I hear the pet quest at 58 pretty much requires you to complete all of Wintertusk. So, perhaps, start with Wintertusk, so you can obtain your 55 spell, then your 58 pet. Once Wintertusk is completed, you could start with Celestia.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Hi Queenly!
My two cents worth is the level 48 spell is just that a spell granted when we reach level 48. It comes directly from your teacher not someone in whatever place we are questing. LOL I may be wrong but, don't think I am.

Would you be open to trying to set up a meet and greet? If the Professors would indulge our naming a time and place here no the boards.

Megan

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Hi All,

My question is for Ravenwood Professors and/or any wizard who has encountered my current dilemma:

I'm a level 46 Necromancer who has the Wintertusk quests. I have barely started the Atheneum in Dragonspyre, but I finished Grizzleheim yesterday.

Although it would be extremely difficult, I could quest in Wintertusk to reach Grandmaster Necromancer. However, I'm worried about getting my level 48 spell, Scarecrow. Will I be able to gain my level 48 spell if I do not follow the traditional path from Mooshu to Dragonspyre? Has anyone done this yet? Is it wise to continue forward in Wintertusk, or should I go back to Dragonspyre and level up there?

I will admit to being very surprised that I am able to quest in Wintertusk at such a low level. Is it the intent of KI that wizards may take this alternate route to leveling up? Or have I stumbled onto an unintentional path down which I should not travel?

PS- No noob-bashing, please. It isn't my fault that I have this dilemma, I haven't ported to people in places I shouldn't go, nor have I skipped any quests whatsoever 8)

I'm reasonably certain that you will get the level 48 quest from your teacher when you become a level 48. However, depending on your school... You may not be able to complete that quest until you have finished various parts of dragonsyre. Myth, for instance, requires access to the Labyrinth to complete the orthrus quest.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Queenly,

Keep doing what your doing. Your level 48 spell does not require anything from Dragonspyre, only some places in Wizard City. Also, make sure you have completed all your death school quested spells up to 48. I believe those are a prerequiste too.

I misspoke, you have one requirement to talk to Dimitri in the Labriynth.

http://www.wizard101central.com/wiki/Quest:Rain_on_the_Scarecrow

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Darth Posted something like this. And to me it makes more sense to go through DS. Because when you get your 48 spell your probably going to need to go to DS for part of the quest. And then you have to get a friend to let you port their and everything. Plus the same problem will come with celestia you will need to do that to get the 58 spell. Plus Celestia will give you a bunch of extra talent points for sun, star, and moon spells.

But it shouldn't be a problem for you queenly I know you can power through worlds xD

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Hi Queenly!
My two cents worth is the level 48 spell is just that a spell granted when we reach level 48. It comes directly from your teacher not someone in whatever place we are questing. LOL I may be wrong but, don't think I am.

Would you be open to trying to set up a meet and greet? If the Professors would indulge our naming a time and place here no the boards.

Megan

Thanks Megan,

I would love to set a time and place to meet and greet!

Would a professor or moderator please let us know if this is permissible? If so, how should we go about it?

In the meantime, I have returned to Dragonspyre for some questing and am almost at level 48. I really want to try doing Wintertusk and DS at the same time, and then go to Celestia at around level 55-56. That should eliminate the massive learning curve up to Floating Land that so many of us moan and wail about. I hope to alleviate the shock of it all by being ready with extra power, pips, and critical abilities :)

Hope we can meet up soon!

qbb/Moira

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010
i would get to the necropolis because you need to use something there. that is the farthest you need to get according to wizard101 central.

also, do you want to work on the atheneum together?

maybe july 3

9:00 a.m. eastern time
realm ambrose

devin ravenmask level 41 myth

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
bobert1111 wrote:

maybe july 3

realm ambrose

OK! That sounds like a plan, Devin, but I may be a wee bit later than 9:00 am est. Is closer to 10:00 am OK with you?

Ambrose

Sunday, July 3

Meet at the Basilica? I'm Moira Shadowmancer, level 47.

Megan,

Can you make it?

Thorvon65 and everyone else, you're welcome to join as well, if you like :)

What fun

Moira/qbb

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
thorvon65 wrote:
Darth Posted something like this. And to me it makes more sense to go through DS. Because when you get your 48 spell your probably going to need to go to DS for part of the quest. And then you have to get a friend to let you port their and everything. Plus the same problem will come with celestia you will need to do that to get the 58 spell. Plus Celestia will give you a bunch of extra talent points for sun, star, and moon spells.

But it shouldn't be a problem for you queenly I know you can power through worlds xD

The Necromancer 48 quest has nothing to do with DS.

Disregard this post. I was incorrect too. There is a small requirement with Dimitri.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
The others are right and I gave bad advice! I forgot many of the level 48 spells require access to different areas of DS. So sorry!

I think we can name a time, realm and place and meet. Here again, Professors please tell me if I am wrong about that.

I will try to post something after the 4th. Real life is hectic right now. We are finally out of our 9 months of cold, dreary weather. LOL

*edit here* Queenly- I will try to make it. At least long enough to friend up. My family is still active then. It is 8 AM for me. I live in Mountain Time Zone. I am usually on more 12-12:30 PM EST. LOL Playing Wizard is my "me" time.

I will try for new time. Family is home so not sure I will even be home then. LOL Don't wait around more that 5 minutes for me.

I will be Megan Frostriver. Legendary Theurgist

Megan

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
I doubt that this will post before 10:00 am EST, but at least it will be here later:

Devin and all,

Ambrose is full as of 9:35 am EST Sunday, July 3.

I will be on Lincoln realm, in the Basilica, at 10:00 am EST. I'm relatively sure it won't be full.

Hope we get to meet,

Moira/qbb

Survivor
Dec 18, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
bobert1111 wrote:

maybe july 3

realm ambrose

OK! That sounds like a plan, Devin, but I may be a wee bit later than 9:00 am est. Is closer to 10:00 am OK with you?

Ambrose

Sunday, July 3

Meet at the Basilica? I'm Moira Shadowmancer, level 47.

Megan,

Can you make it?

Thorvon65 and everyone else, you're welcome to join as well, if you like :)

What fun

Moira/qbb

sorry, ambrose is full :(
how about 6:00 p.m. eastern
realm blossom
sorry i couldn't make it :(

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
bobert1111 wrote:

sorry, ambrose is full :(
how about 6:00 p.m. eastern
realm blossom
sorry i couldn't make it :(

No problem. I will pop into the Basilica at 6:00 pm. If Blossom is full, I'll go to Lincoln.

Moira Shadowmancer, Level 47 Necromancer

Survivor
Sep 05, 2008
Here is what I did: I finished Dragonspyre around level 49. I finished Grizzleheim (I was already in Ravenscar, didn't have much to do there), and then went to Wintertusk. I completed the first quest that involved battling and I leveled up. Wintertusk battles that dont include bosses might be a little difficult for a Necromancer, because they spam Myth Imps (gives a life and death dispel). But Wintertusk is by far easier than Celestia, and necessary to gain your level 58 pet. So finish Dragonspyre, then move on to Wintertusk!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Got a little off thread there, didn't we?

I wanted to follow up with an update on Moira's dual progress in Dragonspyre and Wintertusk. It seems that it's a good strategy, so far. Here's what I've learned:

Level 46 is far too low for a wizard to quest in Wintertusk. There may be other, more skillful, wizards who can do it easily, but Moira required heavy assistance from kind wizards from the first street battle onward. There's no way she could have soloed the first or second boss in Hrundle Fjord. Wraith is a fantastic spell, but it was impossible for Moira to set up blades and traps fast enough not to die before she could cast the spell. Then, of course, there are those tower shields to fend off. In short, it was not fun, even with help.The plus to early questing in Wintertusk is that Moira did gain a level almost immediately, and was more quickly able to gain Scarecrow.

Speaking of Scarecrow, I accidentally timed it perfectly, so that the Scarecrow quest coincided with the Labyrinth quest :) One big benefit is that she now has a damage-to-all-enemies spell that will make Dragonspyre pretty breezy to solo. The only downside I see to my pathway/progress is that Moira is level 48 and hasn't finished the Necropolis yet. IMHO, that's a level status issue, so I'm not terribly concerned about it. It matters not to me what level I arrive at any given area, as long as I can move along without undue stress.

Since Moira will quest in Dragonspyre and Wintertusk at the same time, she will also benefit from arriving at Celestia around level 56. It will be good to have good critical block and damage ratings at the beginning :) I can imagine that questing in the Science Center or Floating Land with Bone Dragon will be great fun!

Overall, I think that it's a viable strategy to work in DS until level 48 and then to go to Wintertusk as well. I'll report back when I get a bit farther along my lightly trodden path.

Thanks so much for all of the advice!

See you in the Spiral,

Your Wizarding Friend, Moira Shadowmancer, Master Necromancer

Explorer
Sep 14, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Hi All,

Hey I am the complete opposite. I am level 46 Pyromancer and I just started the Grand Chasm in DS, and I haven't beaten Jotun yet in Nidavellir. I've found it better to keep going through, then I figured I would go back and beat Jotun and eventually get to Wintertusk.

Madison Silverblade, Level 46 Pyromancer

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
you can get crow just need a friend to take you to the necropolis
and tree of life i did it before wt and was at death oni at same time but my 2 legendary friends helped me

GOOD LUCK!

Defender
Feb 24, 2009
I would highly advise you to stay with ds because, though I'm not a necromancer, I do know that they need the labrynth for the scarecrow quest. you will level up by the time you get there, so when you do level up do as much of the quest as you can or teleport to someone who's unlocked it.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
Long as you're in DragonSpyre, you can get your spell, but it may be hard seeing as you don't have acsess to some areas.