Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

I am not a tree

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
Okay, I don't want to get into a big thing about filtered chat--basically I like it, although it could be tweaked in several ways without harming the game or the younger players in my opinion. And I'm not the kind of person who thinks more policing will solve everything. But since we can't say numbers, or "stalker" or "grape," or hundreds of other things, how about getting rid of "birch." I can't tell you how many times I've been called this. I'm female, of course, and it's a gender-specific thing. But "heal me, birch," which was hurled at me like six times in one battle yesterday...well, it just makes the game un-fun. I can't call this guy a jerk, or any other names, and I don't want to. But I'm tired of being called a birch. I know, another word will replace it. But guys, can you please vent in some other way? I'm a person, and that's hurtful. Yes, I can report him...but I'm not a reporter, either. I guess I may end up reporting people eventually, but so far I've avoided it. It would be nice if people would just vent their frustrations without making these sexist slurs. Or any slurs. But this one is really making things less fun for me, and probably other girls/women, too.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
While I myself am not a girl and or lady.

However this is how I do stuff with people that are rude when playing. I don't ever report people, or ignore anyone. But what I will do is I just won't do anything for them.

I remember in a group at the waterworks. I was the first player so I had to start doing damage. I myself am ice so not hitting very well and one of the guys was really annoying and just calling me stupid and slow. And I was going at a decent pace no one else minded. So he attacks and what do you know skeletal dragon kills him.

He said to me heal me stupid!. So I just told him I wouldnt heal him or anything until he apologized and asked in the appropriate way. He didn't which I expected but it was kind of funny because I don't heal at all on my ice. But he left and to find a new group and restart so, My advice is give them what they deserve lol.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I don't think that they'll do anything about that word,but i'm sorry that you've been called that so many times.I completely know how you feel.
I remember when two boys were cursing at me in the arena to heal them.
I didn't report them,but instead I just left the fight and watched them lose.But if they keep doing it then you should report them,flee,or if you really want revenge, don't heal them at all.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I am not afraid to abandon someone if they are rude to me. I have never reported anyone myself, but i would say 'heal yourself. good luck.' and flee the battle on them if they were insulting me. Although i like what you did, too, thorvon. -eli and crew

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I deal with rude people in several different ways. All of them enjoyable for me.

1) Tell them it is really not wise to irritate the one person who can decide if they live or die.

2) Keep telling them you have your attack deck equipped and your few heals are not showing

and my favorite...

3) pretend you are disconnected and just sit back to watch the conversation between the other players. If one of the other players is a friend and polite, you can easily whisper to tell them what you are doing. Most of my friends usually just laugh and play along.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
first of all what a jerk! i have heard that 100000000000000000000000 times i bet. the thing is dont get hurt by it just say " it takes one to know one" that means it takes a birch to no one thats my advice knock some sense into those kind of people

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
First, I gotta give it up to you women. The stuff you have to endure in this game...Back when I had five characters, I wanted to create a Pyromancer. Since all the male names ending in '-an' (that's what all my wizards' names end in) were boring and unoriginal, I just decided to make a female character for the sole purpose of being able to name her Iridian. The harassment and foolery I've witnessed playing Iridian is ridiculous and disgusting in every sense of the word. It's not even the guys that are the main problem; it's other girls! They're the ones with the filthy mouths. Anyway, that's beside the point.

On one hand, yes they should remove 'birch' since the only way people seem to use it is as a profanity substitute. There aren't any birch trees in the Spiral as far as I know, and if there are, KI should consider changing the name. It really annoys me when KI decides to include random, useless words like 'birch' into the filtered chat vocabulary, but words that I use for description, like 'meticulous' (sorry for the lame example), aren't included for whatever reason. On the other hand, first KI had to remove 'beach', then 'bench', and now 'birch'? KI may exclude 'birch' from the filtered chat vocabulary, but people who want to curse in the game because they're immature will find another way. It stinks, but that's the way some people are.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
I really don't understand why you don't report the person and/or use the ignore feature since it obviously had an affect on you from your comments.
I also don't get what you mean by "I'm not a reporter..."? Why not? It comes accross as if you are implying there is a stigma attached to reporting bad behavior. There is really no excuse for the behavior you described and it is likely that it will be repeated by that player unless it is reported. Reporting someone else does not necessarily mean that they will be banned or even muted, but it does give the KI staff a chance to review the dialogue and decide whether any action is warranted.

IMO people should have common courtesy and common sense when it comes to open chat or else be prepared to suffer the consequences.

Survivor
Nov 08, 2010
I have been called this like a thousand times and I say "I didn't know you weren't smart enough to tell a tree apart form a wizard."
They are normally completely dumbstruck after that

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
Yes, I can report him...but I'm not a reporter, either. I guess I may end up reporting people eventually, but so far I've avoided it. It would be nice if people would just vent their frustrations without making these sexist slurs. Or any slurs. But this one is really making things less fun for me, and probably other girls/women, too.

@tabby714,

You MUST report whomever uses gender or racial slurs you encounter in the game, because that's the only way to make such barbarians GO AWAY. You don't want them in the game, neither do I, and KI wants to keep them out.

Calling a wizard a "birch" is a gender slur, you are right. As a lady wizard, I agree that being called such a nasty euphemism for a female dog would be deeply insulting. Fortunately, there is a Code of Conduct in Wizard 101, which all players tacitly agree to follow. That code of good behavior clearly states that such abuses of chat privileges will result in serious repercussions for the offending wizard. But KI can't take action if you don't report the cretin who called you a "birch".

An added benefit is that when you report the jerk, you can then wait around for the text log to record his lovely reaction to being put in his sexist, filter abusing place.

I do hope KI will read the chat log of your history in-game for the last month, and that the offending wizard is muted for 10 years.

Iridian/Scarlet/Moira/qbb

Champion
May 03, 2011
hp1055cm wrote:
I really don't understand why you don't report the person and/or use the ignore feature since it obviously had an affect on you from your comments.
I also don't get what you mean by "I'm not a reporter..."? Why not? It comes accross as if you are implying there is a stigma attached to reporting bad behavior. There is really no excuse for the behavior you described and it is likely that it will be repeated by that player unless it is reported. Reporting someone else does not necessarily mean that they will be banned or even muted, but it does give the KI staff a chance to review the dialogue and decide whether any action is warranted.

IMO people should have common courtesy and common sense when it comes to open chat or else be prepared to suffer the consequences.

First, I don't have open chat, I have text chat. And it seems to me that the "common courtesy" you refer to should rightly be the courtesy to not call people names. How is not reporting people being discourteous? Odd interpretation. So, why don't I report--well, I've only been playing for a couple of months, first. Second, I try not to run to authority figures every time something upsets me. The police, the government, your parents, KI--whatever--can't and shouldn't have to solve all your problems. I know some people are "report crazy" around here, and I don't want to be like that. And I know that if they take "birch" off the chat, something else will replace it. I guess my comment was just to say that this is a hurtful word, so maybe people could think a minute before using it. I'm old enough to deal, but I hate to think of younger girls--say, between 10 and 15, who may have text chat--having to hear it.

Oh, and re: "meticulous" and other higher-level vocab-I find that frustrating, too! I like to use precise words when I can. And it could be educational for younger kids who are trying to raise their reading level, too, if more multi-syllabic words were allowed. I guess maybe it's a programming issue or something. But I would like to see more adverbs, more adjectives, etc that reflect a higher reading/comprehension level. It would be good for the game and the players.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
hp1055cm wrote:

First, I don't have open chat, I have text chat. And it seems to me that the "common courtesy" you refer to should rightly be the courtesy to not call people names. How is not reporting people being discourteous? Odd interpretation. So, why don't I report--well, I've only been playing for a couple of months, first. Second, I try not to run to authority figures every time something upsets me. The police, the government, your parents, KI--whatever--can't and shouldn't have to solve all your problems. I know some people are "report crazy" around here, and I don't want to be like that.

I apologise if it came accross like I was calling you out with my opinion on chat - I wasn't. In fact I do empathise with your situation.
My quote above was directed at the players who harassed you by using birch and other like them, so let me clarify it. I meant that players who behave this way by being rude or obnoxious and do not use common courtesy or common sense should be prepared for the consequence of being reported and any subsequent disciplinary action.

Reporting people for legitimate harassment is the responsible thing to do.

Champion
May 03, 2011
@hp1055cm--sorry for the misunderstanding, and thanks for your input. After reading everyone's comments, I've decided I need to rethink my "no reporting" thing, at least when these kinds of words are at issue. Because it's true that this person is probably going around calling other girls names even as I type. If I had reported him, he might think twice about it. So I'll reconsider. And I just want to say that mostly I find everyone really cool in this game! This kind of behavior is happily not the norm at all.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
Okay, I don't want to get into a big thing about filtered chat--basically I like it, although it could be tweaked in several ways without harming the game or the younger players in my opinion. And I'm not the kind of person who thinks more policing will solve everything. But since we can't say numbers, or "stalker" or "grape," or hundreds of other things, how about getting rid of "birch." I can't tell you how many times I've been called this. I'm female, of course, and it's a gender-specific thing. But "heal me, birch," which was hurled at me like six times in one battle yesterday...well, it just makes the game un-fun. I can't call this guy a jerk, or any other names, and I don't want to. But I'm tired of being called a birch. I know, another word will replace it. But guys, can you please vent in some other way? I'm a person, and that's hurtful. Yes, I can report him...but I'm not a reporter, either. I guess I may end up reporting people eventually, but so far I've avoided it. It would be nice if people would just vent their frustrations without making these sexist slurs. Or any slurs. But this one is really making things less fun for me, and probably other girls/women, too.
I am not much of a reporter either, but sometimes there is a time to report (ex: when that guy kept calling you a "birch"). When they do this time and again, I eventually tell them they have to stop and if they don't I report simply because they are aggravating me. Also, you can add them to your ignore list.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Tabby,

On your comment about wizards coming up with other substitute words, your right, they will move on to other words. You won't win the war there, but by reporting you will at least notify KI that it is being used incorrectly and will hopefully stop that particular wizard from coming up with any substitute words for the next 10 years.

Survivor
Jun 12, 2010
Yes birch is not a nice word you could just say back off! or did you just call me a tree? or report them or just remove them that way they are lost in the spiral.