Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Baldur, you let me down.

AuthorMessage
Champion
May 03, 2011
After I fought Kenedy the Claw in mb for a mostly useless stun spell, I was skeptical about the Grizzleheim level 35 quest, which involved fighting three hard bad guys with no help allowed. But I like Baldur Goldpaws, and figured he wouldn't send me on a wild goose chase. Surely there would be a cool spell at the end of this! So I got the spell, "Shatter," which as I understand it was supposed to shatter blades. Cool! I rushed off on my little broom to try it at once! I encountered some Howlers in Mirkholm Keep, and immediately applied the Shatter spell on a storm blade. Then I sat back and waited for the magic to happen. Alas, it was not to be. The blade turned kind of dark, and I thought, okay, maybe Shatter was an exaggeration. Then, the Howler cast his storm spell, and got the full benefit of his blade! Baldur, I trusted you!

Seriously, does anyone know something about this Shatter spell I'm missing? Because I will put it in the drawer with Stun, Pierce, and Cleanse otherwise. Any advice or helpful comment would be appreciated. I'd really like to get my friendship with Baldur back on track.
Tabitha Mythrider, Master Conjurer

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
tabby714 wrote:
After I fought Kenedy the Claw in mb for a mostly useless stun spell, I was skeptical about the Grizzleheim level 35 quest, which involved fighting three hard bad guys with no help allowed. But I like Baldur Goldpaws, and figured he wouldn't send me on a wild goose chase. Surely there would be a cool spell at the end of this! So I got the spell, "Shatter," which as I understand it was supposed to shatter blades. Cool! I rushed off on my little broom to try it at once! I encountered some Howlers in Mirkholm Keep, and immediately applied the Shatter spell on a storm blade. Then I sat back and waited for the magic to happen. Alas, it was not to be. The blade turned kind of dark, and I thought, okay, maybe Shatter was an exaggeration. Then, the Howler cast his storm spell, and got the full benefit of his blade! Baldur, I trusted you!

Seriously, does anyone know something about this Shatter spell I'm missing? Because I will put it in the drawer with Stun, Pierce, and Cleanse otherwise. Any advice or helpful comment would be appreciated. I'd really like to get my friendship with Baldur back on track.
Tabitha Mythrider, Master Conjurer

Shatter is an awesome spell. It removes all positive wards from the target. In other words, it drops all their shields but leaves your traps (such as myth trap and feint) intact.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Shatter only removes positive shields on the enemy. And it is a very effective spell. It gets rid of all shields even if people are stacking shields it is a very effective PvP spell, and it is a good against ice enemies through out the spiral. I don't see the problem in it, alas i have not even started Grizzlehiem on my myth i'm trying to work on it but i can't wait till i get this spell as it is amazing.

Champion
May 03, 2011
I think I may have figured it out--it removes those negative shields, like -80% ones. Not blades. To be honest I find the use of "positive" and "negative" confusing in the game. Because a -80% myth shield would be, logically, a "negative" shield, wouldn't it? Oh well.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
This happened to me too, but then I looked closely at the description.

Removes all Positive Wards From Target

Wards are shields. It removes all of them for a cost of 3 pips.

Blades are charms. Shatter doesn't say it removes charms in the description.

Lol, it's a common mistake. :)

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
tabby714 wrote:
I think I may have figured it out--it removes those negative shields, like -80% ones. Not blades. To be honest I find the use of "positive" and "negative" confusing in the game. Because a -80% myth shield would be, logically, a "negative" shield, wouldn't it? Oh well.

When they say "positive" and "negative," I think they mean that it is positive or negative from the perspective of the one being equipped with that charm or ward.

Champion
May 03, 2011
Thanks for the helpful replies. I confess I've only been playing for a couple of months and I'm still sorting out some of the terminology. I didn't really know the difference between wards and charms, for example--so thanks for clarifying. It turns out the Shatter spell is really quite useful, as everyone said! So now I will go buy Baldur a tankard of (Root-) Mead and apologize :).