Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

1vs.1 arena strageties

AuthorMessage
Survivor
May 24, 2009
I want your ideas of some arena strategies for battling 1 vs. 1 because my rating is 385 and i am level 59.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
dwarr123 wrote:
I want your ideas of some arena strategies for battling 1 vs. 1

Don't use any "damage all enemies" spells. Okay, bad joke. Seriously though, maximize auras. If using Amplify, make sure you have enough pips/turns to use more than one attack. You are wasting Amplify if you are only anticipating one upcoming attack. Also, go for the fake sometimes. Don't become a pattern, where you attack immediately after casting Amplify. Shake things up with casting Fortify one turn then Amplify second, or two Amplify's in a row. However, make sure you can survive the shake and bake though. You can't play games like that if your opponent is going in for the quick strike (hello storm wizards).

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
A lot of it depends on what your school is but here are the common sense suggestions that apply to all:

* Break your own weaknesses with cheap wands.
* Weakness and/or tower only when your opponent is over three pips and has committed to a hit with at least a blade on his/her head.
* Breaking an infection early with a sprite even if you are at full health might be a good idea if you carry sprites as well as pixies.
* Don't field bubble until after the rest of your set-up is complete, that is after your traps, feints and blade are in place (unless your bubble is a defensive move before a higher level).
* While facing a fire or a myth or a heavily frostbiting ice, think heals before shields. Otherwise shield before heal.
* When fighting an opponent with significantly more health than you or a death/life wizard, infect before striking.
* Don't tower shield if your opponent is at low pips, wait till he has enough pips to strike.
* If you are playing from first turn, spread out your shields - dont need to put a tower on top of a storm shield if you are playing from first turn.
* When fighting schools that do damage over time, you seriously want to control the field bubble.
* Double stacking weaknesses on myths or balances is especially important.
* Most minions need to be killed on sight with the possible exception of the useless water minion unless you are an elemental wizard or if you are a storm wizard allowing your water minion to control the opposing minion thru taunt.
* Requeue after two minutes. Don't stand in queue longer than that.
* Unequip your pet, run twice around the arena, equip your pet, run twice around the arena. This is believed to reset your pets 'may cast' abilities. (I have no proof. I just do it).
* Use a pet with spritely, proof and two other talents appropiate to your school. For example:
Life-paingiver, may cast life blade
Death-paingiver, defy
Ice - iceblade, pips
Storm - sharp shot, health gift
Myth - paingiver, defy
Fire - defy, pips
* Some people belive using lowest resolution video settings allows you to load into the arena faster and potentially gain first turn faster (I doubt it but it's a rumor).
* Use the best gear available to you. This usually entails crowns. Nightshade necklace is very popular in the arena.
* Make sure you have trained infection and reshuffle at the hidden store in Colussus Boulevard. You only need to load one reshuffle.
* Make sure your treasure deck is full and that it makes sense according to your school. Many wizards create montrous attacks on Unicorn Way. If you dont know what this means, ask somebody.
* Make sure your secondary school(s) makes sense for you. There are build-ups in the forums.
* Unless you are storm, use a wand different from your own school.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
All Depends on your school.

I'm ice and my whole strategy in 1v1 is to build a bunch of towers, and let the pips build up and when I feel I have enough towers i start blading and I like to use this combo, Frostbite, Freeze, And then collosus.

The initial frostbite will take out the shields. Then you stun so you can have a good opening for a collosus and I hit. And it never fails me.

Survivor
May 25, 2011
This is really great and thanks for the info. I'm going to make changes and add a cheap wand as i thought of that too! Here's my biggest problem which has taken me from almost veteran, to nobody.

Pips Spells - It's happened where someone survived a few rounds, and then destroys me with their heck hound, judgement, etc, Regardless of what defenses I have in place. How do I counteract this? I can't seem to kill them quick enough and if i go an equal amount of rounds and then set up an absorb shield, I can't seem to get going after that attack. Ideas? And thanks!

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Zempath wrote:
This is really great and thanks for the info. I'm going to make changes and add a cheap wand as i thought of that too! Here's my biggest problem which has taken me from almost veteran, to nobody.

Pips Spells - It's happened where someone survived a few rounds, and then destroys me with their heck hound, judgement, etc, Regardless of what defenses I have in place. How do I counteract this? I can't seem to kill them quick enough and if i go an equal amount of rounds and then set up an absorb shield, I can't seem to get going after that attack. Ideas? And thanks!

Any think can help really. Like for 1v1 even though weakness looks bad because it is like oh it is only -25% any thing helps. I don't usually encourage absorbs because there are so many more defenses that don't cost you any pips which allows you to focus your pips more on damage. If you just keep trying to use absorb or heals why your opponent keeps attacking you, you will end up getting into a rut and you will never be able to mount an offensive. Use tower shields, weakness, In 1v1 if i know the school i'm fighting is better at just a single attack i'll even stack my tower with a legion shield. For heck hound weakness is a must, weakness is very efficient at taking out DoT spells because it will take damage off every round, and just try to stack your shields, and try to be more dependant on defenses that don't cost pips. Because reliance on absorb shields can lead to ruts in which you will just try to stall the inevidable defeat.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
Zempath wrote:

These pip spells going to get so easy to survive once you get resist. Stack as much resist as you possibly can through crown gear (before you buy Diego arena gear) and hatching a good resist pet (with spritely too!)

Control the field bubble. You dont want to be standing on a fire bubble unless you are fire.

Dont cast your tower shields and weakness when they are at low pips. They'll just wand it off and it will be wasted.

You just basically cast weakness and tower shields when you see the hit coming. These spells can be stacked.

There is a pet tower shield, trained tower shield, treasure tower shield, legion shield --- all of these stack.

Trained weakness, necklace weakness (Nightshade Amulet), treasure weakness, plague, virulent plague - all of these stack.

lock them down using spells above they wont be able to one spell kill you.

Survivor
May 24, 2009