Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

For “Plants” Sake – Increase Backpack Size

AuthorMessage
Delver
Feb 16, 2010
This topic keeps coming up as a need in the community, but hasn’t been mentioned recently. I think it needs to be brought up again while KI is in the development stage for their next release. Hope you all will add your voices on this. So here goes….

KI, we seriously need to increase the capacity of our backpacks for both members and non-members or come up with a different way to manage our seed inventory. Picture the following scenario:

A non-member with capacity of 80 items in his backpack wants to start a new garden patch using small plants. He can fit approximately 60 plants in this plot using the large treatment spells and he is a high rank gardener so he has the spells to manage this. But this wizard is also experienced in PVP and PVE so he often has in his backpack multiple sets of gear for fighting the different types of bosses or being ready for the call to PVP. Perhaps he has multiple pets, one for questing, one for PVP, one or two that he is hatching and training. So we have at least 60 seeds that we want to plant, plus at least one other full set of separate gear (6 items), 4 decks, perhaps a set of gear to boost energy while gardening and pet training (4 items), and 4 pets puts us at 78 items. Let’s hope we don’t need to buy pots for those 60 seeds, or we would never make it. Not to mention you’ve been at the bazaar buying some of those seeds and all of a sudden you find a great deal on some special items you’ve been looking for. But you can’t get them because you have already got those 60 seeds. Oh and did I mention you have quite a few other seeds and other great gear or housing items you won while earning gold for this new project? Seeds that are too good to sell that you want to save for your next garden project or items that you can’t get to your bank and put away yet? Too bad, you are out of room again.

So KI please increase the backpack capacity or alternately have seeds be managed similar to reagents, perhaps with smaller storage capacity. I can’t say it would be a good idea to be able to stockpile 999 seeds of each type. But it would be nice if they didn’t take up backpack space and you could store maybe 100 of each type.

And yes, I’m aware that KI needs the revenue from the backpack size increase incentive for membership. However, even 120 items in the above scenario, if you add the need for pots, is problematic. I don’t begrudge KI wanting to encourage membership at all. I understand that having a steady membership base is needed to fund the new content and hardware updates as the game continues to grow and gain popularity. But an increase in backpack capacity of both by another 40-60 will still maintain that incentive.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
Every house has an attic that can hold 100 items. Everyone has a bank that can hold 100 items and a Shared Bank that can hold 100 items. That is plenty of space to hold seeds.

Now, you are saying you want to plant those sixty seeds all at once. Unless you buy an energy refill that is impossible. It takes 2 energy to plant each seed. That would mean you can only plant 35 seeds. That is taking in account that you already have your plots dug if you plant outside.

I am not sure how you can fit 60 plants within one large area spell. It may be possible if you only use plants that take small plots or pots. I will admit I never counted how many plants i had in my gardens, which always fit in one large spell.

Some plants drop A LOT of seeds. You only need to keep the amount you plan on replanting in your bank. The rest you can sell for a profit.

IMO, there is no need to increase backpack space just because of seeds.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
i would like to see the house size increased to double its current load.

250 items is not big enough when you wild running mounts and pets

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I think a bigger backpack is a great idea. I think all storage for the items should be increased I mean does it make sense that your bank holds less than you back pack? Plus there is stuff like for me personally i always like to have in my backpack, i have crowns gear and a ton of different pets. I think it would be fair to at least raise the back pack capacity to 150.

Hero
Aug 23, 2009
Size/amount limits on housing, bank, backpack, and attic space needs to be increased, backpack would be nice addition as well. I ran into a problem of trying to sell a house so I could get another and when I picked up the items stored there so I could sell it, I ended up spending an hour+ either selling some items or having to dump stuff in other another house because the amount that I picked up exceeded the storage amount and it wouldn't let me sell the house until I got the amount down to allowed levels. Since I was planning on putting most of the items from the old house into the new it was beyond frustrating; to have to dump and then reorganize just to SELL an old house in order to be able to get a new one.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
superluther wrote:
Every house has an attic that can hold 100 items. Everyone has a bank that can hold 100 items and a Shared Bank that can hold 100 items. That is plenty of space to hold seeds.

Now, you are saying you want to plant those sixty seeds all at once. Unless you buy an energy refill that is impossible. It takes 2 energy to plant each seed. That would mean you can only plant 35 seeds. That is taking in account that you already have your plots dug if you plant outside.

I am not sure how you can fit 60 plants within one large area spell. It may be possible if you only use plants that take small plots or pots. I will admit I never counted how many plants i had in my gardens, which always fit in one large spell.

Some plants drop A LOT of seeds. You only need to keep the amount you plan on replanting in your bank. The rest you can sell for a profit.

IMO, there is no need to increase backpack space just because of seeds.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

You are absolutely correct, an elixir would be needed to plant that many at once. The new energy boosting gear can help alot, but still won't get you to 120. I have yet to try this particular gardening task, so I can't say definitively that you can plant 60 (small) plants within one large area spell, but I've seen pictures of it done. I do prefer to plant all my seeds of a particualr type at once so that they mature at relatively the same time. Maturation rates have become much more random, so this is a bit more difficult.

However, the quantity of seeds we carry in our backpacks is still an issue I think. Yes we have banks and shared banks that hold 100 items. However with 6 wizards on one account and all nearly at max on gold, I often have to save items I might otherwise sell. I am often also holding gear for lower level wizards to grow into.

When I hatch a new pet, or buy crafting recipes and reagents the first thing I do is go get some stuff to sell. Just as Professor Greyrose advised, I try to do some spring cleaning on my banks. Often it is snacks and seeds from my prickly bears or high level gear from Wintertusk or Celestia. The gold is great and I love having a ready supply for gold refills. But there is only so much stuff I can buy at the bazaar or the furniture vendors that I can put in my houses. Do I start buying expensive items just to spend gold and then resell them later at a loss just to provide room for items that I really wanted? Do I buy treasure cards that I don't really need and clutter up those areas, only to sell later because of lack of room or the excess lag it causes? That just doesn't make sense to me, a waste of effort.

I understand that size limitations are needed on backpacks, housing contents and most things involved in the game in order for KI's servers to be able to handle the load from their successful and expanding game. It is a continuing issue that I know KI is working to deal with. Increasing backpack size a bit is really a short term fix. I think in the long run, handling seeds like reagents makes more sense. But that's why I posted this. I wanted to remind KI of the issue and invite others to come up with suggestions.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010

so many walls of text.
I garden a bit. mostly maelstrom snapdragons. I have many pink dandelions and king parsley, I keep most of them in my attic. My attic has not filled up yet. You might as well sell the regular versions of plants to the bazaar. If you still have storage problems shove some furnature into another character's attic. That is extra storage space. If it is in your back pack you aren't using it anyway. I would think you know which plants you want to grow next, so attic the rest.