Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balancing PvP!

AuthorMessage
Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, for starters, there is the Pip Method:

For 4v4 matches, you start with 1 pip, not a power pip, just a pip.

For 3v3 matches, you start with a pip, power pip chance included!

For 2v2 Matches, you start with A power pip and a pip!

for 1v1 Matches, you start as normal, with 1 power pip and power pip chance!

This would make the matches longer, yes, but also take away the first round kills!

Now, for my second idea:

All players start with a tower shield in place...

Now, you can enhance that, if you like, a tower shield will remain in place for entire 1st round, kinda like the cheating bosses... Where even though they are attacked, another shield appears... This only happens during 1st round!

After first round, the tower shield can be removed by any attack and will remain gone... This just prohibits 1st round kills and gives everyone a chance to shield...

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
The tower shield first turn idea is one I can support, the reduced pip idea I still think hinders the healing and defensive capabilities of some of the schools such as death and life too much defeating the purpose of lower pips upon start and I think a lot of players will be complaining about such a pip reduction.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I think it is a good idea, my only problem is it would be one or the other i dont think we should use both at the same time...

Much stronger for the pip idea than the tower shield idea though

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
this may cause a decrease in the current first turn kill complaints for a little while, but Fortunately people would find something new to complain about in pvp for me to read while i'm bored. -eli and crew

Explorer
Jul 31, 2009
Personally, I have never been killed on the first turn, I am not even sure if that is possible. Also, like seasnake said, pips are used for more then just attacking, they are used for healing as well. All that reducing the first pips would do is give players 1 or 2 turns to blade or shield. That happens all the time in 1v1, after both players have attacked and used all of their pips. The tower shield idea i just dont understand. Even if pips were kept the same, the only school you would be hindering would be storm, how just attack and attack and attack, no matter how many pips they have. I just dont see how this would balance pvp

Armiger
May 10, 2010
alexmf2 wrote:
Personally, I have never been killed on the first turn, I am not even sure if that is possible. Also, like seasnake said, pips are used for more then just attacking, they are used for healing as well. All that reducing the first pips would do is give players 1 or 2 turns to blade or shield. That happens all the time in 1v1, after both players have attacked and used all of their pips. The tower shield idea i just dont understand. Even if pips were kept the same, the only school you would be hindering would be storm, how just attack and attack and attack, no matter how many pips they have. I just dont see how this would balance pvp

I know what happens in 1v1 Alex, which is why I stated the different pip ratios for each level of pvp...

The problem people are having, and this is a lot of IFs! But people whine and complain about this anyway... IS:
If a team has 4 storms, If the 4 Storms go First, If they all cast Tempest with Gargantuan Boost, If one or 2 critical, and If you fail the block, it Can Kill an entire team...

Now, that is definitely a lot of If's, but this is what is being said on the message boards...

People want a solution... lol like changing order to where second teams goes twice in one round, once to shield, then once to attack or shield again... LOL

Well, I am trying to give, actual, reasonable, well thought out ideas of how to fix this, big IF problem...

Another Solution, is, to change Temepest, to:

10 + 90x3 damage to all enemies... Yes, this does boost the Damage by temepest by 20, however, it splits up the damage over 3 rounds and gives Storm a long overdue DOT attack...

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
I think something needs to be done with criticals as well. Just played many games in PvP and fire hit critical about every single time and storm hit slightly less while all the other schools rarely saw criticals (kind of frustrating considering that my balance and death have as much critical as they can get but still hardly ever see it). Of all the fire and storm critical hits very rarely was there a single block.

I'd like to see critical hits do something around 50% more damage than 100%. Without them defeating life teams would be hard, but I think 50% extra damage is a lot more fair than 100% especially when fire and storm hit it more often than they don't.

Defender
Apr 01, 2011
hmm! I really like the tower shield idea, but just for those who get the SECOND turn. Yes, this idea certainly deserves to be in the compendium of good ideas to improve PvP, if only that thread still existed -.- Maybe a new one can be started.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
seasnake wrote:
I think something needs to be done with criticals as well. Just played many games in PvP and fire hit critical about every single time and storm hit slightly less while all the other schools rarely saw criticals (kind of frustrating considering that my balance and death have as much critical as they can get but still hardly ever see it). Of all the fire and storm critical hits very rarely was there a single block.

I'd like to see critical hits do something around 50% more damage than 100%. Without them defeating life teams would be hard, but I think 50% extra damage is a lot more fair than 100% especially when fire and storm hit it more often than they don't.

Nothing is Wrong with Critical SeaSnake! How many more ways do you want KI to make to give you Critical Block? You can get critical block from your robe, boots, ring, athame, and wand... you can get 64 critical block points just on the ring, athame, and wand... So, if you have a problem with criticals, quit complaining and do something about it... Laziness is not an excuse!

Survivor
May 10, 2009
k so maybe i am crazy. I have played this game over two years, and I remember when they took away our ability to trade made cards cause of bolts. Then I remember how they changed bolt so that it was just as likely to do less than a wand for 2 power pips. Now they introduced this insane bolt, which in truth on my storm seemed not worth the use either because it could do far more damage to you with critical-even with a few shields-than it was worth. On my storm, with critical, I can do almost as much with a bat no danger necessary.

Here i am on a level 27 fire, playing a level 34 life that is just about to die from a hound, despite my going second and lower level (cause i like to think i am just that good) when all of a sudden I am immediately dead despite almost full health cause this dude has a treasure card insane bolt from a friend. keep in mind I cant even trade gargantuans at this level, so how is it he is able to get some crazy insane bolt despite all these changes and win the match?

It seems this insane bolt, though almost useless to a legendary storm is very good for noob players in much the same ways as when they attempted to rid the unfair use of bolts in pvp earlier. for real, why not just make regular bolts that at least fizzled most times tradeable and all? then rid storm of the insane bolt (a not better version at all btw for storm) and give them some kind of over round spell that every other school in the game has! just some thoughts here from someone who now has two accounts, and plays every school in the game. It seems very unbalanced right now.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
allbet wrote:
k so maybe i am crazy. I have played this game over two years, and I remember when they took away our ability to trade made cards cause of bolts. Then I remember how they changed bolt so that it was just as likely to do less than a wand for 2 power pips. Now they introduced this insane bolt, which in truth on my storm seemed not worth the use either because it could do far more damage to you with critical-even with a few shields-than it was worth. On my storm, with critical, I can do almost as much with a bat no danger necessary.

Here i am on a level 27 fire, playing a level 34 life that is just about to die from a hound, despite my going second and lower level (cause i like to think i am just that good) when all of a sudden I am immediately dead despite almost full health cause this dude has a treasure card insane bolt from a friend. keep in mind I cant even trade gargantuans at this level, so how is it he is able to get some crazy insane bolt despite all these changes and win the match?

It seems this insane bolt, though almost useless to a legendary storm is very good for noob players in much the same ways as when they attempted to rid the unfair use of bolts in pvp earlier. for real, why not just make regular bolts that at least fizzled most times tradeable and all? then rid storm of the insane bolt (a not better version at all btw for storm) and give them some kind of over round spell that every other school in the game has! just some thoughts here from someone who now has two accounts, and plays every school in the game. It seems very unbalanced right now.

Uh that should probably be a separate post, doesnt seem to do anything with the subject... But i think most storms love insane bolt, it criticals and can do well over 3k damage, it only has a 20% chance of hitting you so unless your just spamming it you should be able to land good hits.. Thats all i'm saying on this because like i said it is really off topic lol.