Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Alas, Wizarding Woes

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 17, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Moribund wrote:
You are not alone in the wizarding woes,

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Yes, I've come to realize from reading all of these wonderful words of encouragement and advice that you are right, Moribund.

Based on the feedback everyone has given me, here's my plan for beating the wizarding woes this summer:

Project 1: Redecorate Life (tree house) and Myth (castle) homes.

1) Purchase and craft furniture recipes from around the Great Spiral
I finally get to press the "pick up all items" button.

Project 2: Breed and train pets, and garden/craft snack recipes

1) Purchase and craft good pet snack recipes from Mooshu and Dragonspyre
2) Make astral judgement and a nightmare pets. I'm using the Pet genome Project wiki : http://petnome.pbworks.com/w/page/27388686/Home
3) Train pets to epic
4) Grow relevant plants for harvest of snacks and reagents.

Project 3: Help Others

1) Help my dh to level his storm noob and my son's grand pyromancer to finish Celestia and Wintertusk.
2) Help friends to finish quests they skipped as they rushed through the worlds frantically trying to level up their wizards.
3) Helping total strangers I meet on random cruises through the streets of Wizard City.

Project 4: Wizard School

1) Learn the level 42 death spell with Moira Shadowmancer
2) Finish Wintertusk with Rowan Earthsong

I already went to the library.

Ah, I feel better already :D

Many thanks,

qbb and wizards

You really should write or at least think about writing, because I love to read and write and yours is like nothing I have ever read. I love your beautiful use of the written word.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Joseph Dragontamer, Level 60 Thaumaturge

Explorer
May 09, 2011
Yeah, this happens sometime, but I myself am only a Level 45 Master Necromancer, who still has a few things to do in the game, but I already know what to do once I hit Level 60, there's more to the game, decorate your house, garden, craft, earn badges, and get good ranks in PVP! If you have already done this, just help out your friends become as good as you are, and if not, take a short break! You need a little break and stay with your friends/family, they are best! Then, come back, and the game will have it's 'magical feeling' once again, Wizard101 is one of the best MMO's I have ever played, and don't worry, we all know sometime new worlds/areas/levels/equipment/pets, and much much more will be released to the spiral, and you can venture into your Wizard101 journey from there! :) Besides, you have a baby wizard too, and some magus/adept wizards who you can level up! But, I know if I quit someday, it will be in a LONG LONG time, I myself LOVE Wizard101! It's fun, and entertaining! Good Luck, my fellow wizard! :)

-Mason D. -Level 45 Necromancer-

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
(Some snippage) Having friends that burn through content quickly can engage one's competitive nature. However, unless your focus is PvP, I find that it tends to ruin the "immersive storyline" aspect of the game. Therefore, I try to keep my drive with regards to competition in check.

My final note is this... I'm not a kid anymore. I dabble in PvP and I can see how to win, however, I'm an adult with real life responsibilities. The amount of time it takes to collect gear, pet train, craft items, etc. (all of which are "push through" tasks for me) in order to be highly competitive in the arena leaves me with a certain amount of angst. I find that I'm not relaxing (which is the point of playing after all) and I end up feeling like I've wasted a tremendous amount of time that could have been spent taking care of family business or earning real money. I mean for heaven's sake, if I'm going to "feel" like I'm working during my leisure time, shouldn't I get the benefits of that work? lol

Anyway, those are just a few points from my perspective. I hope they help in some way.

@gtarhannon,

You address a surprising lesson I've learned from playing Wizard 101, which is that I am extremely competitive. LOL, I've lived many years and worn many hats, and never really understood that I have this trait, but it does explain a lot about my existence :)

My emerging competitive streak is a driving factor in how I play the game, and has contributed to my burn-out, since I have been unconsciously striving to beat (myself?) some arbitrary timeline for completing the storyline(s) with each of my wizards. Friends who play 24/7 taught me some bad lessons in game play from the start, and I've had to unlearn those habits.

Regarding PvP, I was initially taken aback by how fierce I felt in 1v1 matches, and how hard I took defeat. That was no fun, and it really was too much work for down-time, so I took the path of least resistance and gave up :) I didn't give up on PvP, I gave up on expecting to win every single match and then berating myself/wizard for the inevitable occasional loss. Weird how human emotion is such an intimate factor in how we play, isn't it?

I too am an adult, and I have limited time to play due family and professional responsibilities. Spending more time on crafting, pet training, and helping others is a wonderful tonic for this ailing wizard :) Conversations in this forum have been inspiring and encouraging, and the wisdom of my fellow wizards has helped me to find a new and relaxing path to travel in the Great Spiral. Thanks for your contribution!

Iridian/Moira/Scarlet/qbb

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
skobafreckles1 wrote:
You really should write or at least think about writing, because I love to read and write and yours is like nothing I have ever read. I love your beautiful use of the written word.

Thanks for the inspiration,
Joseph Dragontamer, Level 60 Thaumaturge

@skobafreckles1,

I don't know what to say *blush*

Thanks so much for your compliment. I probably won't take up writing as a profession, because that can drive a wizard mad as an enraged kraken. But I have started a blog that I hope to develop into a "diary of a wizard" sort of thing. I love to write with the voices of my wizards, and to explore their personalities as I get to know them. LOL, or is it getting to know more facets of myself? 'Tis a magical mystery, what happens in the alchemy crucible of words and wizards!

Thanks again,

Iridian/Scarlet/Moira/qbb

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Queenlybluebean-
I am so glad you are feeling better! :D

I am also getting my Death thru Ravenscar to get her to Wintertusk. My poor friend and son will be asked to help me some in Wintertusk. I hope to get my Death to Legendary in Wintertusk rather than Celestia.

Megan

Megan,

Again, thanks for your kindnesses.

I am using the same strategy to level up my Death girl, Moira Shadowmancer. She's just starting Ravenscar and Dragonspyre this week. Iridian crafted Moira's level 44 Death/Ice hat, robe, and boots yesterday. She looks fabulous, and her stats are impressive. I'm really looking forward to taking my time in DS, as I admit to having been rushed through all of the content there the first 3 times. In my case, 4th time is a charm! I love the idea of holding off on CL until my wizards are Legendary. That will make Celestia fun from the start :)

I am really happy with my new, leisurely, approach to playing Wizard 101. No more burn out, no pressure to go!, go!, go! all the time. I've spent more time just looking around the Great Spiral lately, and it's an amazingly beautiful place. I love the feeling of freedom to just explore the environment. Maybe I'll even find all of those pesky Yardbirds this time around!

May our paths cross the same realm and same location in the Great Spiral soon,

Moira/Iridian/qbb

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Just reading this and other posts by queenly.

I just want to commend you for answering everyone's reply I think that is an essential trait of a great poster.

I really respect that you do that.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:

I just want to commend you for answering everyone's reply I think that is an essential trait of a great poster.

Why, thank you, thorvon65. I enjoy communicating in these forums. This particular thread is my first well-attended conversation here, and it's been wonderful. I'm thrilled to know that there are such thoughtful people in the wizarding community willing to help one another through a rough patch or to solve a strategy problem.

I guess I just instinctively feedback to people who respond to my posts because of my personal and professional place(s) in life. It's just what I do. But you are right, it's important to respond, even briefly, to the people who take the time to answer a question or offer a few words of comfort. A little simple respect and gratitude go a long way in this world, real or cyber.

Anyway, thanks again for YOUR comments and suggestions. I'm well along the way to achieving balance in game play, and I look forward to another year or two of relaxing, rewarding adventures in the Great Spiral.

Your Woe-less Wizarding Friend,

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
thorvon65 wrote:

Why, thank you, thorvon65. I enjoy communicating in these forums. This particular thread is my first well-attended conversation here, and it's been wonderful. I'm thrilled to know that there are such thoughtful people in the wizarding community willing to help one another through a rough patch or to solve a strategy problem.

I guess I just instinctively feedback to people who respond to my posts because of my personal and professional place(s) in life. It's just what I do. But you are right, it's important to respond, even briefly, to the people who take the time to answer a question or offer a few words of comfort. A little simple respect and gratitude go a long way in this world, real or cyber.

Anyway, thanks again for YOUR comments and suggestions. I'm well along the way to achieving balance in game play, and I look forward to another year or two of relaxing, rewarding adventures in the Great Spiral.

Your Woe-less Wizarding Friend,

Good to hear xD

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I'd also like to say that i appreciate your replies to replies. I guess sometimes i feel like i'm just writing to have my posts just get skipped over anyway (for good reason). And i know i'm weird, but when reading through replies i saw '@etherchaos' and i was like 'Hey, that's me!' as if i'd just seen myself on TV or something. anyway, keep posting and have fun! -etherchaos (hey, that's me!)

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
etherchaos wrote:
I'd also like to say that i appreciate your replies to replies. I guess sometimes i feel like i'm just writing to have my posts just get skipped over anyway (for good reason). And i know i'm weird, but when reading through replies i saw '@etherchaos' and i was like 'Hey, that's me!' as if i'd just seen myself on TV or something. anyway, keep posting and have fun! -etherchaos (hey, that's me!)

Ikr just livens up the mood lol

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
etherchaos wrote:

:) :) :)

@etherchaos,

You're not weird. All wizards need a little recognition from time to time. It's communication of this sort that tethers us together in the vast web of human consciousness.

Uh oh, I'm going off on a metaphysical tangent. Reigning it in...

Thanks for being so attentive to my earlier woes, and for helping me to continue to enjoy my travels in the Great Spiral.

May our paths cross along the way,

qbb/Moira/Iridian/Scarlet

Defender
May 30, 2009
I have certainly been there... and I took a 3 or so month break. Once I got back, some new stuff had been added (legendary gear and Wintertusk) and I got back into my wizarding ways :D! Although I love the game, I do get bored with it after awhile and I find that taking a few weeks or even months off from playing helps tremendously.

-Jessica

Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Well, this wizard is certainly over her woes and having a great time in the Spiral these days!

I have followed my original plan to do other activities than questing, and have made some excellent progress:

Crafting: I have crafted many items for my tree house, and am in progress with redecorating my Mooshu cottage.

Gardening: I am busy gardening, with a focus on special plants for rare reagents. My Fickly Pickle cracks me up! I love it when he yields a golden pearl

Helping Others: This is great fun! I've been spending time helping my DH and son get through Wizard City. We're going to sync up for Krokotopia, so watch for our Myth/Storm/Life trio. I've also met some wonderful new friends in Wintertusk and Dragonspyre.

An especially loud WOOT to Megan Frostriver and crew :-) I'm so happy we could meet in game.

Questing: My Master Necromancer just earned Scarecrow, and she will be questing in Dragonspyre and Wintertusk at the same time. Her arrival in Celestia will hopefully have her at close to level 56, so it should be an absolute blast from the start.

Thanks again to all of you kind wizards who helped me through my first rough patch in my first video game. I really appreciate the suggestions and strategies that have led me to this new path of pleasure in Wizard 101.

Kindest Regards from Your Wizarding Friend,

Iridian/Moira/Scarlet/queenlybluebean

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I haven't finished the game so I can't say. I can say that you are extremely masterful with vocabulary and have astonishing grammar!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
eggywig wrote:
I haven't finished the game so I can't say. I can say that you are extremely masterful with vocabulary and have astonishing grammar!

LOLZ, thank you very much.

I hope I'm a good writer, it's the basis for my professional life :)

qbb

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Woot back Queenly! I am behind in my reading here. LOL Real life has become frightfully busy. Summer hit and so did all the driving around going here and there things.

I am absolutely thrilled we met up. :D Let me know if you need any help in DS. My Storm is languishing in The Crucible I think. OH my, it has been so long since I played her I have forgotten where she is.

I am Crafting furniture and having a blast doing that and decorating. I must admit to becoming an avid Crafter. Doing my togs from WT and an Aquarium really got me fired up. I also am Gardening Prickly Bear Cactus for snacks. My son gifted me two pets that I now how to train up. LOL

I have taken since the 4th off from questing for the most part. It has been nice. I am starting to feel the need to Quest again. I have 6 wizards and only one is Legendary, my Megan Frostriver. LOL Too many irons in the fire it seems.

Megan

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
(snip)
I am absolutely thrilled we met up. :-D Let me know if you need any help in DS. My Storm is languishing in The Crucible I think. OH my, it has been so long since I played her I have forgotten where she is.
(snip)
I have taken since the 4th off from questing for the most part. It has been nice. I am starting to feel the need to Quest again. I have 6 wizards and only one is Legendary, my Megan Frostriver. LOL Too many irons in the fire it seems.

Megan

Megan,

I advise watching for burn out symptoms. You're stretched thin with so many wizards, as was I not to long ago. I had to let it be OK that I wasn't questing all the time, working, working, working toward Legendary. It's much more fun on this leisurely path I've found. Perhaps I can share it with you!

Speaking of wizards who languish in The Crucible, Moira is there now. She's going to stay in DS until she is powerful enough to beat some monsters in Wintertusk solo. It's just too hard to rely on friends for progress there; I'm a soloist at heart. Anyway, want to sync up your fragile storm girl with my sturdy death girl? We could make rapid progress, I think, and the company would be superb, IMHO :-) LOL, I'll even share reagents nicely, like a good wizard should.

I think you have Moira on your Death, Life, and Storm. If not, it's easily remedied next time we cross paths in the Spiral.

Warmest Regards from your wizarding friend,

queenlybluebean/Moira/Iridian/Scarlet, et al.

Survivor
May 30, 2009
The problem you have is one I used to: You're spreading yourself too thin. I recommend taking 5 of your wizards, putting everything they have in the shared bank, and delete them, then try out some new combinations of schools, try an new fighting style, live the game like a Cha! Cha! Cha! Then you can gradually explore everything! I have a level 51 my/balance, so I created a Storm/Fire, And I must admit, it's been exhilirating.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Queenly--We will definitely get your Death and my Storm paired up! I don't have soloing Storm in me. She would deeply appreciate a nice sturdy Death to quest with. Yes we could thrash DS together! ROTFL I really like questing with a good partner/friend. I was very fortunate to meet the nicest Fire wizard. My son (also a Fire guy), my friend and I blazed through Wintertusk! It was a treat to quest with two excellent Pyros. My Life had a blast watching them and occasionally healing or hitting. That friend and I started to "little" guys together. We have blazed through level appropriate GH and are currently in MB. Death and Balance make an awesome team. I am taking a nice break. I must admit to working whatever Wizard I feel like when I feel like it. Gave up on getting them to X by this date a while back. It is a treat to work this way and enjoy the game again. It has brought back the feeling of the first time through.

Sacalemaster--I deleted 3 wizards. LOL Finally settled on the schools I like. I have 2 Life Wizards, a Death, a Fire, a Storm and a Balance. My problem has been finding folks to quest with. The friends I started many of those gals with no longer play. Then I went to trying to Solo. LOL I kept switching when I got frustrated and then did burn out. Finding the above mentioned friend and helping my kids brought back the fun. Now with Queenly I see lots of entertainment in my future. I also finding Crafting and Gardening re-invigorate me. I will now simply enjoy the time spent on each wizard. They will get to whatever level whenever. Thanks for your help and suggestions. :D I think I have finally found my waay back to FUN and EXCITEMENT.

Megan

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Queenly--We will definitely get your Death and my Storm paired up! I don't have soloing Storm in me. She would deeply appreciate a nice sturdy Death to quest with. Yes we could thrash DS together! ROTFL (snip)

Megan

That's great news, Megan! I'm ready to deal with that pesky Dean of Admissions whenever you are. Perhaps we can even venture into Wintertusk together. Moira is almost finished with Vestrilund, but Rowan (Balance Legendary) just started in Hrundle Fjord yesterday. Needless to say, she finds it a great deal of fun. Critical Ra, anyone? So, I have two sturdy wizards with whom to enjoy your company in the Spiral.

Let's make a plan soon.

This IS the way to beat those wizarding woes! Good friends, good company, good questing :)

Hope to see you in the Spiral soon,

qbb/Moira/Rowan/Iridian