Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Alas, Wizarding Woes

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Dear Fellow Wizards,

I need your advice and comfort. As the proud user of 6 wizards, I have enjoyed over a year of avid play and good society among my friends in the Great Spiral. I have mastered Theurgy, Sorcery, and Pyromancy, and am well along the way toward mastering Necromancy. I have a Conjurer at level 20, and a baby Theuregist at level 6. I have beautiful homes, gorgeous robes, hats, and boots, a plethora of pets and mounts, and pretty much every item of gear an aspiring Legendary could every desire. My 3 Legendary wizards are grandmaster artisans and gardeners, and respectably ranked in PvP. In short, my wizards enjoy every advantage the game has to offer.

But I am a little tired, frazzled, worn out. I have completed all of the worlds of the Great Spiral, including Wintertusk, 2 times now. As I contemplate beginning Wintertusk with my sorceress, finishing Mooshu with my Necromancer, starting Krokotopia with my Conjurer , and starting Cyclops Lane with my baby Theurgist, I feel, eh, less than excited. I want to play, but I don't want to play at the same time.

What is this malaise, dear wizarding community? Has anyone felt this way?

Please advise your confused and woeful comrade,

Iridian/Scarlet/Rowan/Moira, Alexandria/Taryn

Delver
Mar 08, 2009
I feel the same way at times. Sometimes things in Wizard101 doesn't excite me anymore but I will still play it and will always have a subscription. I have been playing other games until something new was in Wizard101. Kinda like moving to a summer home from your old home and experiencing new games can help. Since I have nothing to do in Wizard101 I decided to spend time with my family and friends. I hope you will still play wizard101 and have fun while playing it. And good luck to your other two wizards too.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Dear Fellow Wizards,

I need your advice and comfort. As the proud user of 6 wizards, I have enjoyed over a year of avid play and good society among my friends in the Great Spiral. I have mastered Theurgy, Sorcery, and Pyromancy, and am well along the way toward mastering Necromancy. I have a Conjurer at level 20, and a baby Theuregist at level 6. I have beautiful homes, gorgeous robes, hats, and boots, a plethora of pets and mounts, and pretty much every item of gear an aspiring Legendary could every desire. My 3 Legendary wizards are grandmaster artisans and gardeners, and respectably ranked in PvP. In short, my wizards enjoy every advantage the game has to offer.

But I am a little tired, frazzled, worn out. I have completed all of the worlds of the Great Spiral, including Wintertusk, 2 times now. As I contemplate beginning Wintertusk with my sorceress, finishing Mooshu with my Necromancer, starting Krokotopia with my Conjurer , and starting Cyclops Lane with my baby Theurgist, I feel, eh, less than excited. I want to play, but I don't want to play at the same time.

dont quit now sure your insanely powerful and is helping your other wizards but there is still more you can do like get every mount,pet,badge that ya can also there are always new people starting, go to a low area like cyclops lane
and go help some lower levels.
never give up there is always new stuff to try and do please dont quit think of your fellow wizards that ya have helped in your jorney

well i hope ya read this very carefully because every word i said is true

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
It happens in every MMO, since you can never really beat an MMO. They just keep going. My advice would be to take a break for awhile and come back when something peaks your interest (like new worlds or holiday events). You may even get that renewed energy to level up the Theurgist!!

I really wish KingsIsle would announce their second project they are working on. It would be great to switch to their other games in times like these.

http://www.kingsisle.com/products

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
I feel ya. I'm going to be taking the summer off I think.. We can always come back when something is added :)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Many thanks for all of the kind words of encouragement. It's good to know that I just need a break to refresh my mind and take a new look from a different perspective. I promise not to quit the game.

@kingurz, I think you explained it well; there's the lingering knowledge that the game won't end, that my wizards will continue a never ending cycle of leveling up and striving in new worlds. Is this what is known as "the grind"?

LOL, Wizard 101 is my VERY FIRST video game, ever, and I am mystified by it all most of the time. As an adult, I am very surprised to learn that I am avid to this extent about a video game, and I want to continue to enjoy it.

If anyone has other suggestions for me, please share them.

Regards from your woeful wizarding friend(s),

Iridian/Scarlet/Rowan/Moira/Alexandria/Taryn

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I began the game back in 2008, and had subscribed ever since.

After getting my Storm wizard to 47 or so (never ever reached 50), I had quit for a few moaths. After I had gotten my death wizard to 29, and my myth wizard to 29, I quit for over half a year. I deleted all characters I had, and continued onwards with Myth. By that time, Dragonspyre had been released, and played right up to Dragonspyre.

After quitting for another few months, I played Myth through Dragonspyre, and the newly released Celestia. Then I started a new storm wizard. I played that storm wizard on and off and crawled rather rapidly to Celestia. Having then quit for another month or so, I happen to log back into the game on the day Wintertusk was released. I am now with a legendary Storm wizard with all the bells and whistles.

Point is, as you may have guessed, I had plenty of breaks. Now that the initial hype of getting a complete legendary has subsided, I only play casually when I want to pass time.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
As kingruz says every MMO has its down period. I think it's because your probably like me who as soon as something comes out i just go into power mode and just blast through the worlds and get leveled up.. But MMOs will leave those up for a time so more players can get caught up so to say, and because wizard as such a big amount of players and a lot of them are kids and younger people who can't always play the video game, so i'm guessing they have a bigger time period so people can get caught up.

I myself am actually mad at the game a bit i think they should use these down times to fix a lot of bugs and just general problems. My biggest complaint is balance in the schools.

If you want something that is really challenging, i'm trying to make the perfect pet and that is a huge challenge lol. I want my pet with spritely, spellproof, Pain giver, and that minor resistance talent i can't remeber whats it is called so i'm working on that and thats a challenge.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I've been feeling something similar and haven't even been playing as long as you have. the past couple of days i've been playing with the intent of helping others with low level areas- but with a twist. i stitched a weaker set of gear onto a set of what looks exactly like the stuff you begin the game wearing. then i fill my deck with death spells (on my myth legendary) and run through wizard city acting like i'm a noob till someone asks for help. it amuses me, at least, but then i'm a bit of a goofball. :) -elijah darkthorn, incognito as a novice necromancer (don't forget to change your badge if you ever decide to try this)

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
I take breaks all the time. Sometimes real life needs my attention, sometimes I just need a break.

I find gardening, pet leveling and crafting to be great breaks. I just crafted The Wintertusk Level 54 gear for my Legendary Life. It was a fun challenge of a different sort.

I also go back and help my kids. It has been so much fun playing with them and seeing how differently we all battle. Recently, I have made a couple of great new friends. That has added some fun and excitement back to the game.

I have wizards all over the Spiral. So I switch around. It is fun to play them all and use the different style of battle they provide.

I hope this helps you know you are not alone.

Maybe we will meet up day. That would be a pleasure for sure.

Megan

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Dear Fellow Wizards,

A few times, I too felt the game lost its challenge. The first time was before the release of Celestia. Four of my wizards had completed every quest there was in the game. They had the most powerful equipment. Their houses were decorated to look almost like mansions. As sort of a challenge, I decided to craft every furniture item in the spiral. I started with Wizard City and worked my way down the worlds listed on the world gate. I had completed almost all but four recipes in DS before Celestia was released. Even after Celestia's release I continued on my personal challenge. (This challenge was even harder then because there was no shared bank for reagents). Now, I just have to craft the violin and stand in GH before moving on to Celestia.

Before the release of WT I again begin to feel the lack of a challenge. Since I play a lot during the night when very few people are on, finding help becomes a problem. So, to set another challenge, and help myself, I started a new account. Now that was a challenge. I couldn't go to shared bank to grab a mount, reagents, snacks, or the best equipment for that level. I did trade her some treasure cards to sell, but decided not to use them buying equipment at bazaar. When this new account gets high enough level, can use it to help my other account.

What I discovered playing a new account was a slew of new challenges.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Dear Fellow Wizards,

I know what you feel. I did the samething after finishing my Life legend doing WT as well and going on my way to finish my Myth. Really, take your time, relax and do some other things! Get some cool hybrids! Right now on my life I'm even training my cloud beast to learn certain talents which takes quite some work! I did it before new pets and going for it again! Get some cool things go to waterworks for your level 60 gear. Relax, craft, do some other things. Then after about a month and you get all the stuff you want with your other characters. Go back to questing! Though I do often get bored questing alone, I don't mind if i have entertainment or help!

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I know exactly how you feel. I feel the same way. I was getting to the point where I was sick of seeing my life/storm wizard's spells. That's when I decided to make a new wizard.
Take a break for a while. Play different games. I also would love to see what KingsIsle's next project is.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Wow! Just reading all of your ideas and thoughts is making me feel better. Having read your suggestions, I have learned something significant: An MMO is a lot like real life in several ways, and as a player I have to adapt myself to the situation.

@superluther, I love the idea of backing off of questing for a while and crafting all the gear in the Spiral :) I've been meaning to redecorate anyway...

@thorvon54, I DO power through the new stuff too fast, especially with my Pyromancer. I feel like I need to keep up with my friends, one of whom seems to play all of the time. I have a couple of hours at a time, once or twice a day maybe, so I feel pushed to move fast. Maybe not such a good strategy for me? I mean, obviously I've made good progress, but I'm learning that that's not the point, especially since there will always be a new world on the horizon.

Pet training is a newer interest of mine, but I am a little overwhelmed by the Pet Genome stuff. I'll have to learn more about it and train some of my adult pets to epic, and then play Dr. Moreau (with a nicer intention).

@etherchaos, LOL, I'm going incognito with my Legendary Theurgist and Pyromancer, immediately! I won't forget to change my badge :) Now I just have to convince my husband to play his noob so I can cast critical Sprites on him over and over

@turtleboy, I spent yesterday afternoon in the Waterworks with my Balance Legendary. Needed boots, got boots :) plus a few mega snacks that will go nicely with some pet training.

@Megan, I'd love to meet another mothering wizard. You and I have crossed paths on these forums numerous times, and I feel kinda like I know you a little already :)

Thank you, friend wizards, for such kindness to this less woeful wizard.

Iridian/Scarlet/Rowan/Moira/Alexandria/Taryn

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Cinder234 wrote:
Kinda like moving to a summer home from your old home and experiencing new games can help.

Thank you so much, Cinder234, for your encouraging post. I love the metaphor of changing locale for a little while, taking a vacation from my second world is just what I need. I think I'll move to my summer home in the local library :-)

I also plan to take the advice of several other kind wizards and explore further crafting, pet breeding, and helping projects for the summer. Maybe a change in routine and a cessation of questing activity will give me an enthusiasm perk, and free up some extra down time for reading. I hope to spend some time with my family in-game, helping them with their quests. Look for the legendary Theurgist disguised as a baby Sorceress running about with 3 crazy boy wizards :-)

I've been reading about the work we do in mmorog's recently. Who knew all of this questing is really hard work in disguise There are some good bloggers from the gaming world who address the subject. @kingurz was spot on with his comments about mmo fatigue. As a new player, I have been running in urgent leveling up mode, without thinking about the fact that there is no need to rush. I've exhausted myself trying to get all 6 wizards in the game, and then pushing hard to level them up fast. Time to chill, methinks.

Thanks again, everyone, for lending this ailing wizard your Helping Hands :-D

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
I frequently feel the same as you.

I have done nearly everything in the game. I have legendary Death, Life, Myth, Balance, Storm, and Ice mages. All have done Celestia and only one (Ice) is currently working on Wintertusk. The crafted gear is done, houses are done, gardening is done. What is left?

When I log in, I wander around helping people. I enjoy this. The sad thing is, most of my time is spent trying to find these people. I wish it was easier for them to find ME.

Yet each time I get near deciding to end my stay here in the Spiral, KI comes out with some awesome new content which I must then complete with all six of my mages.

When I tire of wandering aimlessly and in-between content updates, I usually find myself leveling on Runescape, while waiting for someone to ask for help. My suggestion as stated in the posts above is simply to take a break. Come back at Wizard101 fresh and ready to sling spells.

You are not alone in the wizarding woes,

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Moribund wrote:
You are not alone in the wizarding woes,

Yes, I've come to realize from reading all of these wonderful words of encouragement and advice that you are right, Moribund.

Based on the feedback everyone has given me, here's my plan for beating the wizarding woes this summer:

Project 1: Redecorate Life (tree house) and Myth (castle) homes.

1) Purchase and craft furniture recipes from around the Great Spiral
I finally get to press the "pick up all items" button.

Project 2: Breed and train pets, and garden/craft snack recipes

1) Purchase and craft good pet snack recipes from Mooshu and Dragonspyre
2) Make astral judgement and a nightmare pets. I'm using the Pet genome Project wiki : http://petnome.pbworks.com/w/page/27388686/Home
3) Train pets to epic
4) Grow relevant plants for harvest of snacks and reagents.

Project 3: Help Others

1) Help my dh to level his storm noob and my son's grand pyromancer to finish Celestia and Wintertusk.
2) Help friends to finish quests they skipped as they rushed through the worlds frantically trying to level up their wizards.
3) Helping total strangers I meet on random cruises through the streets of Wizard City.

Project 4: Wizard School

1) Learn the level 42 death spell with Moira Shadowmancer
2) Finish Wintertusk with Rowan Earthsong

I already went to the library.

Ah, I feel better already :D

Many thanks,

qbb and wizards

Explorer
Oct 16, 2009
remember, there will always be something new in the spiral that the marleybonian dogs haven't discovered yet.

besides, i heard that there will be a new game from KI soon :D

if your looking for a temporary switch, try roblox, or maybe maplestory

-------------------------------------------------
whatever it is, it wasn't me--probably

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Queenlybluebean-
I am so glad you are feeling better! :-D

I took a break and crafted the Aquarium a while back. That gave me good incentive to get my Fire to a higher craft level. On my Life I crafted some marvelous Wintertusk gear and my son, a great friend and I beat Wintertusk! I LOVE Wintertusk. I hope KI makes more worlds like it. I got the ever so cool Wookie Pet. I have been training pets like a mad woman. lol

The above mentioned friend and I started two new wizards we are leveling together. We are having a blast.

I am also getting my Death thru Ravenscar to get her to Wintertusk. My poor friend and son will be asked to help me some in Wintertusk. I hope to get my Death to Legendary in Wintertusk rather than Celestia.

Megan

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
queenlybluebean wrote:
Dear Fellow Wizards,

I would say you should probably get rid of your paid sub, or wait until it runs out, then keep watching for new worlds or things to do, and alas, maybe you should try another MMOG. I think you might want to drop into the game every once in a while and garden, chat with friends, and what not.

Survivor
Feb 13, 2011
Ah the way your write...

You'd make an excellent novelist my friend!

(Or are you already one?)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
caferreri11 wrote:
Ah the way your write...

You'd make an excellent novelist my friend!

(Or are you already one?)

Me?

LOL, I actually DO make my way in the real world with words, but not as a novelist. My focus is more, ah, pragmatic and educationally oriented.

Thanks for the compliment, caferreri11.

Update on the Wizarding Woes:

Iridian is enjoying all of the wonderful furniture crafting, and her house is looking good! Her friends are grateful for her awesome healing talents, as well as her Disco Wookie skills.

Moira is rocking her level 42 Wraith spell, and is poised to begin her travails in Dragonspyre and Ravenscar. She's such a powerful Necromancer 8)

Scarlet is thinking about getting back into the PvP fray, but this time 3v3 or 4v4 instead of 1v1. Wanna be a warlord!

Taryn, Rowan, and Alexandria are patiently awaiting their turns to adventure in the Great Spiral once again. But that may be a while, because I am having way too much fun puttering about and rescuing people to work that hard. It's good to be in charge :)

Friends, this wizard is free from the woes, and ready for more fun in the Great Spiral. Rebirth, anyone?

Iridian/Scarlet/Moira/qbb

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
With the adition of the Waterworks, I have been spending less time wandering and more time helping people complete this dungeon over and over again. The snackage reward is well worth the effort.

Players always want me to use my Storm or Balance mages. The spellbooks of my other wizards are starting to get rather dusty. :-/

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Moribund wrote:
With the adition of the Waterworks, I have been spending less time wandering and more time helping people complete this dungeon over and over again. The snackage reward is well worth the effort.

LOL, Waterworks is an obsession with many of my wizarding friends. In fact, one insane Conjurer I know likes to solo the place. Crazy, crazy, but it can be done.

I've been going in to help people, too, as a means to fund my crafting and gardening efforts, and to get that elusive legendary gear. Oh, for a pair of boots or two!

Hope we cross paths, er, currents, one day soon!

Iridian/Scarlet/Moira/qbb

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:

You're not alone. I think we all feel it from time to time. Personally, when I feel that way I re-evaluate what I'm doing in the game. What I mean by that is there are aspects of the game I really enjoy, then there are ones I just "push through" because they get me to something I do enjoy. I find that when I feel this way, I have generally allowed myself to become mired in the "push through" tasks and need to turn loose of them for a while and go back to the things I enjoy. Having friends that burn through content quickly can engage one's competitive nature. However, unless your focus is PvP, I find that it tends to ruin the "immersive storyline" aspect of the game. Therefore, I try to keep my drive with regards to competition in check.

My final note is this... I'm not a kid anymore. I dabble in PvP and I can see how to win, however, I'm an adult with real life responsibilities. The amount of time it takes to collect gear, pet train, craft items, etc. (all of which are "push through" tasks for me) in order to be highly competitive in the arena leaves me with a certain amount of angst. I find that I'm not relaxing (which is the point of playing after all) and I end up feeling like I've wasted a tremendous amount of time that could have been spent taking care of family business or earning real money. I mean for heaven's sake, if I'm going to "feel" like I'm working during my leisure time, shouldn't I get the benefits of that work? lol

Anyway, those are just a few points from my perspective. I hope they help in some way.