Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Dragon Rider Pack Problem

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Jul 21, 2009
I have two opinions about the dragon rider pack. One is it's EPIC and it has good stuff in all but here is my second opinion. You have to get lucky in order to get certain items. to me this seems like gambling . I do not like this. in stead of having it as a pack, put each dragon rider item for regular crowns sale. This way kids won't get frustrated and this pack wont be setting such a bad example. Thank you for reading this post.

A+ Student
Dec 11, 2010
ROM999 wrote:
I have two opinions about the dragon rider pack. One is it's EPIC and it has good stuff in all but here is my second opinion. You have to get lucky in order to get certain items. to me this seems like gambling . I do not like this. in stead of having it as a pack, put each dragon rider item for regular crowns sale. This way kids won't get frustrated and this pack wont be setting such a bad example. Thank you for reading this post.

these items are to epic to be sold not in a pack.
to you it may seem like gambling but to others its a trading card pack.
if ya have something rare ya show it off and heres a hint to help ya get it .

keep buying and someday you will get it if one pack failed another may not, keep trying

Survivor
Apr 16, 2011
I dont see a problem in it.

When you go to the store and buy a pack of baseball cards there is a chance you are going to get a special card in there that is very rare. You know going in its a risk buying the pack of cards.

Same as here - there is a chance you will get lucky and pull a rare card. If you have problem with it then you also must have a problem with trading cards in general.

What wizard should have is a disclaimer of some sort that says when there percentage is of pulling a super rare card like all trading cards have now a days.

Geographer
Dec 14, 2009
Its not gambling. It is in no way different than buying baseball cards,or any other collectible card. If you put the items for regular crown sell,you take away the prestige and rarity for those were lucky enough to get a ultra-rare or epic item.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
I managed to get a set of level 50 hat/robe/shoes/sword/wings in less than 15 packs (6000 crowns, under the sale that ended yesterday, that is $6)....the value is very good, and it would actually cost a lot more if we bought each item at the crown shop by itself.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
I've managed to get a sea dragon out of the pack too as well as a variety dragons.

Think of them as a second chance chest that you don't need to beat a boss to have access to ;)

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
ROM999 wrote:
You have to get lucky in order to get certain items. to me this seems like gambling

Gambling is specifically paying money to win MONEY. Real world money, not game funds and not non monetary prizes of any kind.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
ROM999 wrote:
You have to get lucky in order to get certain items. to me this seems like gambling

Gambling is specifically paying money to win MONEY. Real world money, not game funds and not non monetary prizes of any kind.

Gambling is not specific to money. It is simply risking one thing of value (crowns) in the hopes of winning something of greater value (skeletal dragon mount). You risk your crowns and then watch as what you won is revealed in a fashion clearly taken from a slot machine or a scatch off lottery ticket. The jackpot of course is the mount and the low price per a chance makes it very tempting. It is clearly gambling. For adults this is fine but for children is very very shady.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
I wonder if I am the only one to have spent over 50 000 Crowns and not have gotten the Bone Mount that so many players got when purchasing just a few packs! I know it's all luck but I cannot possibly be this unlucky! All I wanted was that Bone mount and got so much other stuff I don't even like and it didn't sell for good amount of gold! I am so sad, upset and frustrated! This is the first time in over a year playing this game that I am so upset with KI and not sure if I want to keep playing this game!

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I dont get how you got gambling out of that its like when you were younger and you played pokemon or whats the other one yu gi oh and you bought a pack of cards and when you opened it you could either get something really nice or nothing really at all.... I dont see gambling in it.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
Survivor
Dec 10, 2008
Egypte wrote:
I wonder if I am the only one to have spent over 50 000 Crowns and not have gotten the Bone Mount that so many players got when purchasing just a few packs! I know it's all luck but I cannot possibly be this unlucky! All I wanted was that Bone mount and got so much other stuff I don't even like and it didn't sell for good amount of gold! I am so sad, upset and frustrated! This is the first time in over a year playing this game that I am so upset with KI and not sure if I want to keep playing this game!

I totally agree I am in the same situation as you buying like 70+ packs and not even getting the mount, I have gotten plenty multiples of the other items buy not even one bone dragon mount. There is no way you can be this unlucky.

Survivor
Apr 19, 2011
I wanted to buy more but I don't like how the gear is limited to your character's level. I would rather get the better gear that I have to save and use when I'm a few levels higher than only have the chance to get the level 40 gear now that I will only use for a few more days.

I wish they would make all of the gear available to all levels.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
TheBigBad wrote:
ROM999 wrote:

Gambling is not specific to money. It is simply risking one thing of value (crowns) in the hopes of winning something of greater value (skeletal dragon mount). You risk your crowns and then watch as what you won is revealed in a fashion clearly taken from a slot machine or a scatch off lottery ticket. The jackpot of course is the mount and the low price per a chance makes it very tempting. It is clearly gambling. For adults this is fine but for children is very very shady.

Well let's see. When you buy that lottery ticket or use that slot machine what do you have? An empty wallet and NOTHING to show for it. A real life example of gambling.

Contrast that to the Dragon Rider Pack, you spend your crowns and you get stuff. Now it becomes sour grapes because you did not get that ULTRA RARE mount. The fact you don't like the stuff you received doesn't change the fact you got stuff. A real life example of chance or luck.

This is a good lesson many people need to learn that we don't always get what we want. We need to learn self control and when the risk outweighs the benefit. I was taught those principles when I was a very young child and I have taught them to my kids.

The gambling argument makes me shake my head in disbelief. It is such a stretch I can't believe it. If you apply that same standard to everything in life it is just one big gamble.

Megan

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I have found I am addicted to buying the packs. They seem so innocent and cheap at 399 crowns.... I cant wait till the next crown sale so I can get more.......

Hello My name is Ellie and I am addicted to buying dragon rider packs.....

ellie

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
Me as a fan and gamer of Yugioh for.....what is it now....close to a decade?....forget XD(english only) I like the idea of the Dragon's Hoard pack. Its fun and i will just say it.....

I spent roughly 20k crowns on the packs and when i first bought it i had no idea what was in it....I didnt click on the link cause as far as i know it wasnt advertised yet....I bought one just to c what it was. I gathered in only 20k i would say over 200k crowns in goods......thats over 200 bucks if you spend money on the 60k's when they full price. As much as 400 bucks easy. And all that for only 40! Would you waste 15k crowns on one mount when like some i know and myself i got more plus in the Dragon's Hoard update in Ravenwood Commons i mentioned there are lots of things......

I do not find it as a bad example really.....in life everything is a gamble. Why do you thing game companies half the time change things? I mean KI alone has changed lots of bosses cause too many complained.....It was a gamble. I still find none of the bosses hard.....and worse sence lots are weaker. I personally want Switches put in every building that was suppose to be harder to give us an option, Something that would 'Push' our decks to the limit. Players gamble in PVP all the time....they enter fights and so on and so forth everytime they log in....

I hope they release another one 'soon' for actual LEGENDS. It pays their bills after all.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
Yes this is a form of gambling but then isn't going out on the street?

Good example TheBigBad, in that gambling IS giving something of known value for the CHANCE at something of greater value.

The reason it is bad is cause people have no restraint and "waste" all their crowns trying to get the epic! If people had restraint and could say well I am only going to spend 3990 crowns in attempt and that is all they spent in attempts it would not be a BAD thing.

The light at the end is that you can sell everything you loot from your investments for coins. I gained about 80k from the stuff I sold. Not a bad return on investment if you ask me.

Survivor
Jan 10, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
TheBigBad wrote:
ROM999 wrote:

Well let's see. When you buy that lottery ticket or use that slot machine what do you have? An empty wallet and NOTHING to show for it. A real life example of gambling.

Contrast that to the Dragon Rider Pack, you spend your crowns and you get stuff. Now it becomes sour grapes because you did not get that ULTRA RARE mount. The fact you don't like the stuff you received doesn't change the fact you got stuff. A real life example of chance or luck.

This is a good lesson many people need to learn that we don't always get what we want. We need to learn self control and when the risk outweighs the benefit. I was taught those principles when I was a very young child and I have taught them to my kids.

The gambling argument makes me shake my head in disbelief. It is such a stretch I can't believe it. If you apply that same standard to everything in life it is just one big gamble.

Megan

Its not a gambling augument is gambling by every logical sense of the word. It is gambling in fact. The question is, are you ok with the way it is deliberately designed to seperate children from their crowns/money. Its really very smart you sell the big item you can win, you create a low price point so kids take chance after chance and have no idea how much they spent until it is all gone. You also get stuff that at the start seems to hold some value, until you have 20 of the same item and see that thousands of other kids are already selling them at the bazaar. When dealing with adults one can simply say they should know better. When dealing with children it just comes of as predatory and very shady.

Also to address those who compare it baseball cards or pokemon cards this does not hold water. If you but a pack of cards you get a pack of cards. Some may hold more value than others but at the end of the day you know you are getting cards. The dragon pack gives you what? Well you do not know until you risk your money to find out.

All one has to do is read what children are posting or just observe they way they are repsonding to this thing to know that it is a very underhanded way of taking childrens money. Its really kind of discusting when you think about it.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
TheBigBad wrote:
ROM999 wrote:

Your definition also applies to baseball or pokemon cards, very shady business to kids as well.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Also to address those who compare it baseball cards or pokemon cards this does not hold water. If you but a pack of cards you get a pack of cards. Some may hold more value than others but at the end of the day you know you are getting cards. The dragon pack gives you what? Well you do not know until you risk your money to find out.
</div>
</blockquote>

Huh? You buy the Dragon Hoard pack you get a pack of dragon related cards (seven to be exact). The bone dragon mount has more value than a crafting item, the EXACT same concept. No different than a pack of baseball cards with the possibility of an ultra-rare Rookie card.

Baseball card pack = seven cards of random players, some better than others

Dragon Hoard pack = seven cards of random dragon related items, some better than others

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
TheBigBad wrote:

All one has to do is read what children are posting or just observe they way they are repsonding to this thing to know that it is a very underhanded way of taking childrens money. Its really kind of discusting when you think about it.

How are they "taking" children's money? Doesn't the parents have to load the crowns into their account? Or the kids by the game cards themselves? If this is a risk versus reward issue, then Wizard 101 promotes parents and kids playing the game together. Probably a good time to have that talk with their children about cost advantage decisions and not just buying the new, flashy thing out there. Might save them even more money down the road with real life clothing, cars and homes.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2009
May I suggest that you look in a dictionary for the definition of gambling ? I play other games where "pack sales" are a way of life. I find it interesting that companies can do this legally in the USA but are banned on other countries' servers as it's seen as a form of "gambling" which is illegal and not allowed.

I remember that KI promised the players, some 10 months ago now, that cash shop items would also be available as drops. I wonder how that's going these days? Possibly a new corporate decision and direction?

Also, I thought that a game had to be rated as "Teen" to include simulated gambling. Possibly a rep from KI would care to comment?

Semper Fi,

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
sedcmd7379 wrote:
I dont see a problem in it.

When you go to the store and buy a pack of baseball cards there is a chance you are going to get a special card in there that is very rare. You know going in its a risk buying the pack of cards.

Same as here - there is a chance you will get lucky and pull a rare card. If you have problem with it then you also must have a problem with trading cards in general.

What wizard should have is a disclaimer of some sort that says when there percentage is of pulling a super rare card like all trading cards have now a days.
You have a good point, but I also understand ROM999's opinion. I mean, I guess it's fair, but also annoying at the same time. You don't want to waste your crowns, trying to get the one special item you want. It's a waste of money, and time. But still, it is fun to try to get the item, but may irratate you at the same time.
melcookie925
I love these emoticons, don't you?

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
I have more to say!
For me I'm some how in luck, considering I got the bone dragon mount on my seventh try. But still like I said before, it's still fun trying to earn the most rarest item (which I think is the bone dragon) because you get awesome items on the way. For me, great treasure cards, cool house items, clothes, etc. So I guess it's not a waste of crowns. But it is a little annoying when you get the same thing twice!
melcookie925

Mastermind
Apr 24, 2010
After trying like 40 times, getting pet snacks, teasure cards, clothes, the dragon wing mount twice ( ) and the bone dragon, I HAVE NOT GOTTEN THE SWORD ONCE! I have been trying FOREVER! Sorry to post a lot of this in all caps but I'm just so annoyed! I mean it's fair, but I have wasted an avrege of 8,000 crowns and I think I'm done! Did this happen to anyone else?
melcookie925