Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Snow Angel side affect useless?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 17, 2009
Does anyone else feel the side affect of Snow Angel is useless? I think it would be better if, instead of taunting, it gave a shield to the user, or if it just stunned the enemy. Anyone else like this idea?

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthmaul1 wrote:
Does anyone else feel the side affect of Snow Angel is useless? I think it would be better if, instead of taunting, it gave a shield to the user, or if it just stunned the enemy. Anyone else like this idea?

No ice wizard has ever liked the taunt and we have all complained about it since it was first introduced on test. It isn't going to change at this point. It isn't entirely useless, just almost. :D

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
darthmaul1 wrote:
No the Taunt is actually useful. In pvp 'only' it wouldnt be but the spell is still very dangerous.

I use it alot in places I dont want my friends to get hurt so bad being I have an even 50% resist. I can take hits and keep on smacking kinda thing. Normal taunts are useless yes....but The taunt on SA is very useful

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
BLSKis1 wrote:
I use it alot in places I dont want my friends to get hurt so bad being I have an even 50% resist. I can take hits and keep on smacking kinda thing. Normal taunts are useless yes....but The taunt on SA is very useful

I'm sorry, but that's largely an illusion. If you use blizzard right off the bat, or hit them with frost giant, it will accomplish the same thing. Any attacks or healing alter your "threat rating" for the AI routines controlling the enemies. Yes, the taunt does increase it some as well but the only thing it does on snow angel is to increase it on the initial strike instead of waiting for the "over time" damage to ramp it up. If you are "tanking" for your friends, you are better off to cast blizzard on the first or second round anyway to draw attention to you as soon as possible thereby giving your teammates more time to buff and prep their spells.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Yea like gtar said no one really likes the taunt. I mean tbh i dont look at snow angel as using or needing a second effect.

Tbh i think it makes the spell cooler when you watch it cast. Because you hit and then it makes the evil laugh while you hear the peagasus, thats only reason i like it.

I just don't like it because it just emphasizes that Ice is really just meant to take damage in groups.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
BLSKis1 wrote:

I'm sorry, but that's largely an illusion. If you use blizzard right off the bat, or hit them with frost giant, it will accomplish the same thing. Any attacks or healing alter your "threat rating" for the AI routines controlling the enemies. Yes, the taunt does increase it some as well but the only thing it does on snow angel is to increase it on the initial strike instead of waiting for the "over time" damage to ramp it up. If you are "tanking" for your friends, you are better off to cast blizzard on the first or second round anyway to draw attention to you as soon as possible thereby giving your teammates more time to buff and prep their spells.

I actually prefer Distract over Blizzard. It's only two pips instead of Blizzard's four.

Defender
May 27, 2010
Finally!
I have been saying this Taunt has been useless since I first saw this Spell, KI no offense but what were you thinking when you made this Spell? I personally think a better effect would have been a Tower Shield to Team instead of Taunt

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
BLSKis1 wrote:

I dont know about you but the illusion here is that you contridict me when i am actually right... First off its not just one taunt its 2. Plus what the person wanted was to make a Hell spell. Stun or shield would be great but they would be too much. The spell is already Rank 1 by power. Why do i say that you ask? Cause its the only spell I DONT prepare for and really cant. Makes sence right? Vs storm, fire, myth, or death that is the far more dangerous. I wait for it to hit then I heal. Shielding it is useless in general. Why would KI make it stronger?

Blizzard is normally my spell of prefer but there is a difference between taunt and a weak spell... I have used spells that didnt distract enemies on quite a few occations. Not cause someone else healed or hit right after me. it was cause I didnt do much to them. the Taunt of Snow Angel helps greatly. Also a reason i would normally use blizzard anyways is cause my friends arent weak. In PVP is where the only place the taunt is useless so dont go telling me what i already know to be 'right'.

I dont even see why anyone would have an issue with the Taunt anyways....what hate how long the spell takes to finish? Sounds like 'Another' group spell to me which for your information....they all are long in general....only a tiny few are short

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
kingurz wrote:
I actually prefer Distract over Blizzard. It's only two pips instead of Blizzard's four.

It sounds from your post that we are on the same page though I assume you meant taunt because distract is 0 pips and targets only one enemy. However, I used blizzard simply because it illustrates that a low damage spell will capture the attention of enemies without having taunt on it. Therefore, if you're "tanking" which would be the role for which snow angel is useful, its completely unnecessary. I have rarely been able to re-capture attention, snow angel or not, once my teammates begin attacking. Truly, the best chance I have to keep enemies focused on me alone is to use mega-taunt when I have a lot of pips. However, that's lame for a LOT of reasons.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
I just don't like it because it just emphasizes that Ice is really just meant to take damage in groups.

I don't even mind the emphasis. Defense is, after all, our focus. I just can't abide near pointless. I mean, if it was equivalent to an 8 pip mega-taunt, then yeah... maybe. I would still prefer that it gave a tower shield to myself or possible everyone on my side, but if I could at least practically guarantee that I would shift focus back to me when I cast it then I wouldn't be as agitated about the whole thing since it would serve a real purpose. However, that isn't what happens if your team has been hitting them.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
BLSKis1 wrote:
I dont know about you but the illusion here is that you contridict me when i am actually right... First off its not just one taunt its 2. Plus what the person wanted was to make a Hell spell. Stun or shield would be great but they would be too much. The spell is already Rank 1 by power. Why do i say that you ask? Cause its the only spell I DONT prepare for and really cant. Makes sence right? Vs storm, fire, myth, or death that is the far more dangerous. I wait for it to hit then I heal. Shielding it is useless in general. Why would KI make it stronger?

I'm sorry, but I'm just not really following this whole paragraph. What seems clear to me is that I offended you and I apologize. It wasn't my intention. I thought that I acknowledged that taunt on snow angel does something but my point is that it is so negligible that it may as well not be there.

BLSKis1 wrote:
Blizzard is normally my spell of prefer but there is a difference between taunt and a weak spell... I have used spells that didnt distract enemies on quite a few occations. Not cause someone else healed or hit right after me. it was cause I didnt do much to them. the Taunt of Snow Angel helps greatly. Also a reason i would normally use blizzard anyways is cause my friends arent weak. In PVP is where the only place the taunt is useless so dont go telling me what i already know to be 'right'.

I stand corrected. I have now met one ice wizard that seems happy with the taunt on Snow Angel. I completely disagree, but you're entitled to your opinion.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
kingurz wrote:

It sounds from your post that we are on the same page though I assume you meant taunt because distract is 0 pips and targets only one enemy. However, I used blizzard simply because it illustrates that a low damage spell will capture the attention of enemies without having taunt on it. Therefore, if you're "tanking" which would be the role for which snow angel is useful, its completely unnecessary. I have rarely been able to re-capture attention, snow angel or not, once my teammates begin attacking. Truly, the best chance I have to keep enemies focused on me alone is to use mega-taunt when I have a lot of pips. However, that's lame for a LOT of reasons.

Yup, I use both during the course of fights so I sometimes get the names crossed. I meant Taunt.