Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Another Failed Pet at Epic

AuthorMessage
Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Points needed from baby to Ancient = 125 + 250 + 500 = 875
Points needed from Ancient to Epic = 1000

If that isn't bad enough the training energy cost goes up to 8 from 2 at baby. Now lets look at how many games you need to play to go from Ancient to Epic, if you use sixth point foods and never mess up that is 100 games. Toss in the cost for food and a week or whatever time it takes to go from Ancient to Epic only to get a talent that you in no way even want on your pet and do this around ten or twenty times always with the same failing results and you get some very depressed players.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
True, this actually happened to me a few days ago when i had all the talents i wanted through ancient but ended up getting a talent i didnt want instead of spritely at epic. Still lowering how long it takes would just make hatching easier, and i like a challenge.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Omg, I know, I had the PERFECT pet... Until I got Storm Shield at epic....

-Storm Giver
-Pain Giver
-Spritely
-Storm Shield

With a total of +97% bonus damage, I have everything I could want. Except Spell Proof, Storm Shot, or Power Pip. Go figure. As it stands now, however, I won't *DARE* train another pet, for I have a feeling I will never get that lucky with damage talents again.

Survivor
Feb 10, 2010
I was so excited when I started training my Storm Cat! He got Spritely as a teen! Super nice and got other good talents but after all the DIFFICULT labor to get to Epic level, he got a ridiculous pet racing talent! I could not believe my eyes! After ALL the hard work to get a pet to become Epic and get a really really bad talent just blew my mind!
Now whenever I start training a pet I believe is worth training all the way to Epic I check to make sure both parents have very good talents and NO pet racing talents at all!
Good luck!

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
Let see, I've an inferno colossus that got spritely, spell defy, spell proof in that order and I was hopping for pain giver at epic but I got pierce monger instead. I also have a night walker with a death minotaur card, it got spritely, spirited, and pain giver with a chance at spell proof, but instead it got disarmament at epic.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Egypte wrote:
I was so excited when I started training my Storm Cat! He got Spritely as a teen! Super nice and got other good talents but after all the DIFFICULT labor to get to Epic level, he got a ridiculous pet racing talent! I could not believe my eyes! After ALL the hard work to get a pet to become Epic and get a really really bad talent just blew my mind!
Now whenever I start training a pet I believe is worth training all the way to Epic I check to make sure both parents have very good talents and NO pet racing talents at all!
Good luck!

I quite assure you even that is far from being full proof as my pets repeatedly mess up at epic and quite often mess up with a talent that neither parent pet had as learned.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Yeah i have been disappointed more than a few times after training a pet to Epic. Sometimes it is worth it, like my most recent pet Ice Wyvern got Ice Shot at Epic which I was thrilled about. :)
I have trained dozens of pets but most of the time I stop at Adult unless they have 2 good talents. Once they reach Ancient I have be satisfied with those 3 pet talents alone to continue training another 400 points (where most talents max out) or continue all the way to Epic.

Defender
Jun 30, 2009
i feel all of you guys most of the pets i train get a pet derby talent at either ancient or epic or both and i am think that it is not fair there was potential but it just did not happen now i got a inferno beast that comes with the enraged forest lord card at baby learned power pip life blade fire giver and spritily so i think it pretty good but i would trade out life blade talent for fire accuracy or fire blade or fire trap may cast or even health i am a pyromancer with a life mastery amulet but i use it for heals but i do not use attacks so the only thing life blade good for is enraged forest lord no to complain just saying what i would prefer

Survivor
May 19, 2011
ikr well i have a pet adult cyclops all power (most powerful) and he wont cast spells but then i went to battle with my freind he was at like 23 heath then his pet heals him (pet:baby pig) then i look at it its a baby i am like wow

Survivor
Jul 16, 2010
my ice wyvern pet was doing great he had health gift, mana gift and may cast ice trap. so all was well i was very excited for him to be epic to get spritely but then he go to epic and instead got an ice resist boost and i demand something be done because now i have to train another pet to epic to get it and i was so excited to get spritely but noooooooooo i got a resist even though i did not need it

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
seasnake wrote:
Points needed from baby to Ancient = 125 + 250 + 500 = 875
Points needed from Ancient to Epic = 1000

If that isn't bad enough the training energy cost goes up to 8 from 2 at baby. Now lets look at how many games you need to play to go from Ancient to Epic, if you use sixth point foods and never mess up that is 100 games. Toss in the cost for food and a week or whatever time it takes to go from Ancient to Epic only to get a talent that you in no way even want on your pet and do this around ten or twenty times always with the same failing results and you get some very depressed players.

Seasnake,

I would be happy if they would just show you what talents you will get at Ancient, after you get to Epic.
The four Talents (ignore the pet talents) are predetermined at the time of hatch. As as the 10 hidden talents on the left side of the screen.
So, after we get to Epic, it would be nice if we could go to the Hatchery, and see what Talent we would get, if we decided to go to Epic.
It would be better if they showed the last two once you got to Adult, but any option like this would really be a great improvement.

I have a army of Colossus's and an army of other pets, that I got to adult and Ancient, that took a lot of Mega Snack packs and other cards.
This does make you mad when you spend all of that time, and get a worthless talent you don't need.
It would be very nice, if KI would change this, or lock in on certain talents at Ancient that everyone wants. Anything would be an improvement over the random way it is now.

Joe.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
My suggestion, a new skill set, such as crafting and gardening:

Pet Trainer
At level 3 you get one extra training point per game.
At level 5 you can see the talents that will manifest.
At level 7 you reduce the energy cost by one.
At level 10 you can select the talents.

You would use the same experience levels as gardening, and gain Trainer XP equal to the energy expended per race (full if you are level 7+).

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
after weeks of training up pets and not getting a single pet that was better than the mediocre pets I began with, I've finally given up on hatching and trying for new pets with talents that I actually want (twinty or so failed pets in a row, many of which failed at epic, I am out of gold, out of a desire to train any more, and out of anything I actually want to do anymore in the game, I don't see any improvement no pay off in terms of time and effort and see myself as being no better off taking the time to play than not taking the time to play, actually if I hadn't of taken the time to play I'd be loaded up on both pet snacks and gold as opposed to having my banks full of failed pets)

Defender
May 06, 2009
seasnake wrote:
after weeks of training up pets and not getting a single pet that was better than the mediocre pets I began with, I've finally given up on hatching and trying for new pets with talents that I actually want (twinty or so failed pets in a row, many of which failed at epic, I am out of gold, out of a desire to train any more, and out of anything I actually want to do anymore in the game, I don't see any improvement no pay off in terms of time and effort and see myself as being no better off taking the time to play than not taking the time to play, actually if I hadn't of taken the time to play I'd be loaded up on both pet snacks and gold as opposed to having my banks full of failed pets)

I understand the feeling. When I came back to the game many things were added one of them being fancy pets. SO i did some research on the boards to see what it was to see about them. While I see that there is the potiential to get a really awsome pet it all rolls down to the dice. Since I've played many a game that has many a lotto/gambling/etc involved in it I decided to set my sights very simple. Get A pet that has spritly everything else is just a nice to have. I also went with another persons advice when looking for spritly if it doesn't have it by adult try again.

My life wizard's epic pet has accuracy, spritly, fire trap and something else I forget. My death wizard the 2nd time i got the squid pet from celestial lucked out and had spritly, it is now ancient and also has deathblade, and health gift. I am curious what the finial talent will be at epic but since it has spritly I am not overly worried about it. Overall my life wizard payed alot of gold to finially end up with spritly, and my death wizard just lucked out. I am so not looking forward to this "fun"(tm) again for my balance wizard. lol

Defender
Jun 12, 2009
yeah i think the talent at epic should be the best not the worst i worked my feirce hound to epic and guess what it got death shot (+6% death accuracy)
when i am not even death! and anyway if i was death and it got that i would still consider that a horrible talent and i would like to insert something that will make all players happy you get to choose what kind of stats your pet gets like if its base is a death type (like my feirce hound) i get to choose instead of death stats it will get myth stats and also i have a topaz kraken it says its myth but it gives storm stats (but the storm shield is pretty uselful )

Explorer
Nov 17, 2010
I kinda hate training pets, but i dont really complain cause there is no way around it as of right now.

but, it doesnt take as long as you think if you train it twice a day. if you are a member and are a ledge, to get 70 points it takes 7 1/2 hours. fix a schedule so you can do it once in the morning and in the afternoon or so.

make sure you buy the perfect snack for the pet that gives you maximum points or at least 6 points, so you get 10+ each game.

with that it takes about 1 week from baby to epic.

i should say that i'm a legend balance with 70 energy points. with the good snacks, i can take a pet from baby to adult in one fill of energy. thats half the work right there.

you also just have to focus on the training, dont garden while you train. train your pet before you level up, so when you level up, your energy also fills back up, giving you the opportunity to train some more.

is not as bad as you think.

Survivor
Sep 18, 2009
I am not complaining, but the same thing happened with my fire snake. First 3 talents where great. Fire Accuracy, fire defense, and mana gift, but the Epic talent was selfish (Spirited)

Solution. Hatch with a sea dragon for a chance at better talents. Better Pedigree = better talents. So take your pedigree 53+ pet, offer a sea dragon owner a gift to hatch with and just maybe, your new pet will have better talents.

I was able to hatch my forest lord pet (Pedigree 59) with a sea dragon (Pedigree 72) and my new Forest Lord has a pedigree of 70.
Talents - May cast 'Life shield'
Life giver - 6%
Pain giver - 6%
May cast 'Pierce' spell

Good luck.

Explorer
Apr 29, 2009
I understand the issues here. I have them all too. However, I am willing to be pleasantly surprised or horribly disappointed by what talent a pet gets or don't if only it wasn't a bore, headache, and at times, a totally loss of time, gold, snacks, and maybe crowns to train them.
I'd love to mix, mix, and mix some more different pets to try to make the right combo of talents for certain wizard but that'll never happen with the current pet training platform. The training needs to be shortened epically (no pun intended). The way to train needs to be put back to the drawing board. KI has done some extremely things with Wiz 101...they have to be equally creative in making pet training more entertaining or least less painful to do.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
Bedard101 wrote:
I am not complaining, but the same thing happened with my fire snake. First 3 talents where great. Fire Accuracy, fire defense, and mana gift, but the Epic talent was selfish (Spirited)

Solution. Hatch with a sea dragon for a chance at better talents. Better Pedigree = better talents. So take your pedigree 53+ pet, offer a sea dragon owner a gift to hatch with and just maybe, your new pet will have better talents.

I was able to hatch my forest lord pet (Pedigree 59) with a sea dragon (Pedigree 72) and my new Forest Lord has a pedigree of 70.
Talents - May cast 'Life shield'
Life giver - 6%
Pain giver - 6%
May cast 'Pierce' spell

Good luck.

I agree but at same time Your Implying Pedigree means Higher Equals More Useful....Sure in general it seems fitting....but considering A 60 could actually be better than a 70 you have to wonder

That would be if all the derby stats are Common worth 1 point each...Talants are all Epic worth 5 each.

Granted out there but yeah...I understand the issue.....I have pets I have.....Disposed of myself.... Most pets I consider abandoning at Teen XD...but give it enough hatches you may have 2 pets that are nearly Identical giving you a .....hopefully better chance.....I know i hope it but mine dont care for me either XD

Gl all