Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

critical and critical blocks

AuthorMessage
Defender
Feb 09, 2009
when i start wizard101 and i get into fights, my criticals and critical blocks are not working. it takes a while before these kick in. why? is it just me?

if i have 100% plus critical rating, why doesn't that mean i go critical 100% of the time? the same with critical block, i may not have 100%, but you would expect to block at least 30% of the time if you had 30% critical block.

my myth's critical rating of 84 which is made up of,
+3% horned helm of the mighty
+6% jolting jellywand
+7% chief's garb of might
my math says 16% critical rating, where did the 84 come from? so does that mean i should expect my critical hits 16% of the time. instead of whatever the 84 stands for.
confused

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
greco55 wrote:
when i start wizard101 and i get into fights, my criticals and critical blocks are not working. it takes a while before these kick in. why? is it just me?

if i have 100% plus critical rating, why doesn't that mean i go critical 100% of the time? the same with critical block, i may not have 100%, but you would expect to block at least 30% of the time if you had 30% critical block.

+6% jolting jellywand
my math says 16% critical rating, where did the 84 come from? so does that mean i should expect my critical hits 16% of the time. instead of whatever the 84 stands for.
confused

The critical system is points based instead of percentage based like the rest of the game. KI says the system is very complicated as thus far I haven't seen them come out with a detailed explanation of how it works... However, through reverse engineering the numbers, it appears that the critical is based on 500 possible points, and that critical block is based on 400. When you hover over each item's critical score, it gives you a percentage estimate for each item. The best idea of the score, however, is to take the total number of points (84 in your case?) and divide by 500... so approximately 16.8% percent chance. For the block, you would take 30 (your score?) and divide by 400 for a 7.5% chance of block. Hope this helps.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
The Critical and Block are showing up the way they are to make it feel like you are getting more % than you are. 100% Critical is around 500, 100% Block is around 450.

They did it this way to make it so that Legendary Wizards 'Feel' more powerful than they actually are.

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Well because that is rating not actual percent those percents add up to the actual percent idk how the system works out myself. But you know the most common percents for it is in the 20s meaning like 20% - 30% idk if anyone has gotten 30% yet i wouldnt be surprised but thats as high as i have seen it. So you figure that you have a 1 out of 5 percent chance of getting a critical or block so of course people will have times that it just wont happen because all of it is luck and chance.

Survivor
Feb 27, 2011
This may not be fully true but, I have friends with about 124 critical rate and they don't always have critical. I think it is a 50/50 (Something like that) chance then it is the higher the critical rate the more damage. This is a guess I am not a expert sorry if I gave false info.

Allan Stargem
Level 44
Master Necromancer

Survivor
Aug 18, 2009
greco55 wrote:

+6% jolting jellywand
confused

Actually i have seen that the critical is still not perfect accuracy when at 100% because i think it would be really cheap to get a critical on every spell. especially in pvp!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Johnist wrote:

They did it this way to make it so that Legendary Wizards 'Feel' more powerful than they actually are.

No, it's because the code isn't working quite like they expect it to, they don't know why, and they're not about to hand out the details in the first place.

You might want it just so you can see how to calculate your stats. other people want it so they can steal it for their own games.

Survivor
Oct 18, 2010
My wizard kyle has like 120% critical what would that mean like 18% time i would get one or not?

Critical and Block Rating System displays as a numeric value and not a percentage.

Equipment will have values of "+14 Block Rating" as opposed to the "+1% Block" style of statistic you are accustomed to seeing.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.