Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ice in pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 13, 2011
Ice is definetly not unbeatable. Here are a few ways to destroy ice resist:
Infallible star spell: 15% armor pierce and accuracy, tc has 20
Unstoppable: I think its 30% accuracy and 15% armor pierce?
Elemental/Spirit Spear: like blades, except 9% pierce instead
Balancespear: 10% pierce

Congratulations, you pierced 49% of that ice wizards armor, bringing that 70% to a 21%. Problem solved.

Luke Icehammer, Level 67 Legendary Thaumaturge
Luke Shadowblade, Level 11 Initiate Sorcerer (pvp only)

Survivor
Jun 15, 2010
Warlord Maria on Oct 27, 2012 wrote:
I agree that Ice is a bit overpowered in pvp. The main reason for this is that their stats allow them to use several strategies that almost always work perfectly. This makes them very difficult to defeat because in pvp you cannot set up your deck to fight a specific opponent since you don't know who you are fighting.

Since there seems to be a lot of controversy on the subject on the power of ice I suggest more minor changes.

Maybe lower their health by 50 points on all ice gear which can bring them down a good 150-250 health points.
Make any maximum resist 70%.
Um, no. Sorry, but Ice isn't the only school that can train resist and health. It is just easier and better for Ice to do so. Also, although indirectly, you yourself just said it is not impossible to because you said, "This makes them VERY DIFFICULT to defeat....". Very difficult, but not impossible. And if it's not impossible, why complain?? All that this means is that you either a, don't know how to defeat an Ice wizard, or b, You want to nerf Ice just like many others banded together and nerfed Bolt and Guardian Spirit. Eventually, everyone will nerf everything because they don't know what to do about it. (Sacasm alert!!) Well, yeah! Let's nerf Efreet's Weakness because it slows me down! And what about Gnomes?? We can't forget to get rid of those Life dispels!! That makes us unable to heal!!!

~Luke Skywalker, Promethean Diviner

~Luke Moonshield, Legendary Thaumaturge

Survivor
Apr 17, 2012
Warlord Maria on Oct 27, 2012 wrote:
I agree that Ice is a bit overpowered in pvp. The main reason for this is that their stats allow them to use several strategies that almost always work perfectly. This makes them very difficult to defeat because in pvp you cannot set up your deck to fight a specific opponent since you don't know who you are fighting.

Since there seems to be a lot of controversy on the subject on the power of ice I suggest more minor changes.

Maybe lower their health by 50 points on all ice gear which can bring them down a good 150-250 health points.
Make any maximum resist 70%.
No way that would be unfair! You should go make your own ice char, ok cause that's completely unfair

Survivor
Jun 29, 2012
I started watching Ice vs Storm 1vs1 in ranked matches. I watched 20 duels out of those 20 different duels only one...ONE was won by a storm wizard. Ice has way too much life and way too much resist and to put the icing on the cake they have tower. This is just not fair at all. I decided to stop playing with my storm wizard and just create ice wizards and make them all warlords.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Archon01 on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
I started watching Ice vs Storm 1vs1 in ranked matches. I watched 20 duels out of those 20 different duels only one...ONE was won by a storm wizard. Ice has way too much life and way too much resist and to put the icing on the cake they have tower. This is just not fair at all. I decided to stop playing with my storm wizard and just create ice wizards and make them all warlords.
Ice is not OP; you have to LEARN how to beat them. It can be done. And nerfing any school because someone feels an optional part of the game is 'unfair' is completely unfair to that school.
FYI, this has been posted over and over and over again.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Once again can we just be done with these ice is too powerful threads? Please? We've been through them millions of times now it's not gonna change anything. This is ice's specialty if people can't learn how to adapt to the situation of facing an ice wizard then instead of taking the blame out of the school and start building some strategies. Also did you happen to also take note of the specific individuals themself? Crowns gear? Crafted gear? Ranking? Pvp experience? Battling style? All of tese are factors that greatly effect duels also. Also don't give up on your storm wizard just yet, storm can be extremely dangerous to pvp with if your careful with using their strengths. Good luck dueling out there.

Astrologist
Dec 16, 2009
RavenLady777 on Dec 13, 2012 wrote:
Ice is not OP; you have to LEARN how to beat them. It can be done. And nerfing any school because someone feels an optional part of the game is 'unfair' is completely unfair to that school.
FYI, this has been posted over and over and over again.
Posts like these really irritate me. Despite what it seems PvP players are not a small annoying segment of the community that presses the nerf button whenever a new spell, piece of gear etc comes out. We are a large community as evidenced by sites such as PvP Central.com and Duelist 101. com. We perform spell analysis, we discuss strategies, we help wizards around the spiral. We are not a nuisance that KI can just ignore and we WILL make our voices heard. If we see a spell as overpowered, it is not just a spur of the moment decision. It is an observation of multiple duels, careful analysis etc. We are interested in creating a balanced game that is enjoyable to all school. As such we will continue to post when we see issues in the current system. That being said just because a strategy can be beaten does not mean it is not Overpowered. I fail to see how a permanent shield to immunity to 2 schools is not an overpowering issue.

Survivor
Jun 07, 2012
I think you might be right. I do ranked matches and I keep losing because all the ice wizards I face they always use tower shields and ice wizards have a lot of health so now I think I'll just do 2vs2 matches so I can have a chance winning.

Geographer
Nov 26, 2011
It might be annoying but as much as i hate it, they DO have to deal with the ZF crafting quest and they need all the reagents to craft it.

Explorer
Jul 10, 2009
Storm is the most nerfed school in the game. Other schools only pay one thing in exchange for their specialty I.E. ice's high defense but low attack. Storm has low life AND low accuracy. Kingsisle makes it seem as if our rank 1 spell does 200 damage. Yes Ice is OP ever since that Celestia update..

Survivor
Dec 11, 2011
Although, Storm does fizzle a lot. That's probably why the Ice wizard wins more. The resisting, you can find that anywhere, what you wear.

Illuminator
Oct 22, 2011
I will say this again. Ice is not OP. No school is OP, so please stop trying to nerf schools. The affect it has in PvE is detrimental when something is nerfed. It makes it that much harder for a school to play the game, which is more important than PvP.

Champion
Feb 03, 2012
Nicholas SandRunne... on Dec 20, 2012 wrote:
Storm is the most nerfed school in the game. Other schools only pay one thing in exchange for their specialty I.E. ice's high defense but low attack. Storm has low life AND low accuracy. Kingsisle makes it seem as if our rank 1 spell does 200 damage. Yes Ice is OP ever since that Celestia update..
Well after you get through Celestia your accuracy is higher than all the other schools, I currently have a total of 106% accuracy.

Survivor
Aug 18, 2010
Yes! ice is overpowered in pvp.
Many people like to say no school is overpowered, but that's totally wrong.
It's like saying no job is better than the other. They just hope that no school is overpowered.

When I simply say "prove it"
these people can't prove anything.

All they can say is "There is a way" and it's called a strategy.
Yes! but this won't prove anything.

Believe or not Here is the fact.

1, If no school is overpowered all school should have about the same ratio of winning rate.
(20 matches, 19-1 ice-storm) This is not even close. There might be a way for storm to deal with ice, but anyone would conclude that storm school is just horrible school against ice.

2,People will keep complaining about ice wizard and KI won't do anything to change it soon.

So play Ice. Just like everyone else, and keep telling other school that Ice is not overpowered.
Don't forget to spam your TC. and when people get mad at you and swear, just report them.

This is how you should play and have fun. After all, you are not breaking any rules.
Why tring so hard to figure out your way with your storm? Throw out your storm and pick ice.
Make them fear and swear then report.

Survivor
Oct 27, 2012
I do have to say, ice is NOT the most powerful, but they have higher accuracy and health then any of the elements, so that is why they are hard to beat. But, they are not impossible. Load up with shields, traps and blades, and have one powerful spell, or perhaps poly morphs, and drain all their health at once. (The one thing i don't like about ice wizards is the spell absorb, for the whole pvp match, even with my most powerful spells, i hit zero, be sure to cast your spells when they don't have absorb on, and keep passing. Save up your pips until the absorb breaks. Then, let it rip .)

Survivor
Jun 04, 2009
I have to say Ice is quite difficult to beat in battle, but if they have tower shields constantly, thats why you summon minions. Don't use traps, put a blade and attack quickly. You will see there health drain quickly.

Hope I helped,
Matthew WillowWard

Survivor
Jul 14, 2010
garrett690 on Jul 18, 2012 wrote:
I agree, Ice is very overpowered, might as well call them immortal...
Ice really isn't as overpowered as they seem. I have an ice wizard but the only good things about it is her health and resistance. The other things are just normal and lower then most other schools. I usually stick with my ww gear but sometimes I change it. My current stats for my lvl 77 ice is

Health:4,435
Ice damage:46
Resistance:34
Ice critical:117
Block:68
Power Pips:67%

I only included some of my stats but I think you get the idea

Survivor
Jun 29, 2012
Kayla6857 on Jan 1, 2013 wrote:
Ice really isn't as overpowered as they seem. I have an ice wizard but the only good things about it is her health and resistance. The other things are just normal and lower then most other schools. I usually stick with my ww gear but sometimes I change it. My current stats for my lvl 77 ice is

Health:4,435
Ice damage:46
Resistance:34
Ice critical:117
Block:68
Power Pips:67%

I only included some of my stats but I think you get the idea
Really Katie11225? " I have an ice wizard but the only good things about it is her health and resistance" what else do you need to be overpowered? if you have immunity you can have the lowest boost possible and still kill your opponent. That's why is called 'IMMUNITY'. Some people just don't know what they are talking about.

Survivor
Mar 07, 2009
garrett690 on Jul 18, 2012 wrote:
I agree, Ice is very overpowered, might as well call them immortal...
well ice is hard to level up we dont get any good spells till grandmaster with frost giant, ice is just a tough school you just have to know your gear and know how to cast spells its quite easy i am still working on my stats trying to get it better

My stats:
health: 5,418
damage: 37
resist: 70 to storm and fire
57 to all other schools
critical: 20 to all and 122 to ice critical
critical block: 124 to all and 158 to storm and 225 to ice
power pip chance: 68%
healing in/out: 14%/0%
pet: spell proof, spell defy and spritely

Armiger
May 10, 2010
BrynnerOfReign on Jul 18, 2012 wrote:
My Archmage Ice is not theoretical. These are my current stats:

Health = 5352
Damage = 42% Death = 23%
Resist = 61% Fire, 57% Storm, 28% all others
Accuracy = 101% Death = 102%
Critical = 137
Crit Block = 132 universal
Power Pip = 90%
Healing In = 34%

My pet Wyvern has helped my stats with Power Pip, Damage, Spritely & Health

I kept my second school, Death, so I displayed the pertinent stats for it.

I generally keep 2-3 sets of gear in my backpack to switch out if I want. If I do switch, it changes my stats substantially, depending on whether I want to boost my defense or offense.

Gear currently being used:

Hat = Horned Helmet L76 (crafted)
Robe = Woodland Tribal Coat L74 (crafted)
Boots = Forest Hearth Boots L76 (crafted)
Wand = Sidhe Staff
Athame = Olyphant's Storied Scimtar
Amulet = Armigers Amulet of Aiming ( I do have a Death Amulet, if I need it)
Ring = Crystal Cave Rose

I am still farming for some of the Ice gear I have not received yet for the Athame and Ring. When I get these and I decide to include them, then my stats will change, hopefully for the better.

I chose to go for offense as well as defense. My offense still isn't that great compared to other schools, but for Ice, it's pretty decent. Sure, I could go for more resistance, however, my Health, Damage, Power Pip, Healing, and Critical Block will suffer.

Would I be deadly in PvP? I don't know, as my Ice has never played PvP. I am deadly in PvE, making short work of the mobs and bosses, and I am frequently called upon by my friends to help with bosses, Waterworks, etc.

People keep complaining about Ice's high resistance. So what? Ice is a defensive school. It's built like a tank. It's what we're good at. But, once again, if Ice has super high resistance, then OTHER STATS WILL SUFFER, especially offense capabilities.

Besides, any other school can also have high and super high resistance. It can be purchased in the Bazaar, some drops, and crafted gear for all schools. It's not just at the higher levels, I have seen gear for excellent resistance for mid-level players as well.
QueQueg is not lying or exaggerating her stats on her Ice, those are her stats. However, ask her if she will ever PVP me, the answer will be a flat out NO! lol

Ice is powerful, but can be defeated. If you are going to Ranked PVP, you are looking to challenge yourself and looking to get better and see how good you really are. So, why are you here complaining about how difficult a school is? You went looking for this challenge, so accept it and learn to defeat it.

It's not like Azteca, where you have to complete it to get new spells and make it to the next level cap and next world, PVP is purely optional.... So either accept the challenge or dont, but on the brighter side, I got cheese!

Defender
Jan 25, 2009
BrynnerOfReign on Jul 18, 2012 wrote:
My Archmage Ice is not theoretical. These are my current stats:

Health = 5352
Damage = 42% Death = 23%
Resist = 61% Fire, 57% Storm, 28% all others
Accuracy = 101% Death = 102%
Critical = 137
Crit Block = 132 universal
Power Pip = 90%
Healing In = 34%

My pet Wyvern has helped my stats with Power Pip, Damage, Spritely & Health

I kept my second school, Death, so I displayed the pertinent stats for it.

I generally keep 2-3 sets of gear in my backpack to switch out if I want. If I do switch, it changes my stats substantially, depending on whether I want to boost my defense or offense.

Gear currently being used:

Hat = Horned Helmet L76 (crafted)
Robe = Woodland Tribal Coat L74 (crafted)
Boots = Forest Hearth Boots L76 (crafted)
Wand = Sidhe Staff
Athame = Olyphant's Storied Scimtar
Amulet = Armigers Amulet of Aiming ( I do have a Death Amulet, if I need it)
Ring = Crystal Cave Rose

I am still farming for some of the Ice gear I have not received yet for the Athame and Ring. When I get these and I decide to include them, then my stats will change, hopefully for the better.

I chose to go for offense as well as defense. My offense still isn't that great compared to other schools, but for Ice, it's pretty decent. Sure, I could go for more resistance, however, my Health, Damage, Power Pip, Healing, and Critical Block will suffer.

Would I be deadly in PvP? I don't know, as my Ice has never played PvP. I am deadly in PvE, making short work of the mobs and bosses, and I am frequently called upon by my friends to help with bosses, Waterworks, etc.

People keep complaining about Ice's high resistance. So what? Ice is a defensive school. It's built like a tank. It's what we're good at. But, once again, if Ice has super high resistance, then OTHER STATS WILL SUFFER, especially offense capabilities.

Besides, any other school can also have high and super high resistance. It can be purchased in the Bazaar, some drops, and crafted gear for all schools. It's not just at the higher levels, I have seen gear for excellent resistance for mid-level players as well.
Cool stats! One problem though: your statement about ice being equal doesn't make a drop of water in a desert's worth of sense (didn't know what to come up with, lol). It's been said before somewhere in this post, and I don't quite remember who,but I'll quote it:

" If you have immunity you can have the lowest boost possible and still beat your opponent." <<< Right on!!

What you, and many ice wizards fail to realize is, you have immunity to a school, and not one little hindered stat could make up for it. Not even if you only have 1% strength to make up for it. Point is, the school you have immunity on can't lay a finger on you, and they have to go scuffling through their converts and what not, as you slowly and painfully lower down their health while they're too busy. THAT'S a problem. That's not fair. But it doesn't make sense to whine much,as i've realized that nothing much will be done to address the issue, so I'll have to put up with a 3-5 hour match against an ice wizard with fire immunity, if it means beating them.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
KorekuEternal on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
Cool stats! One problem though: your statement about ice being equal doesn't make a drop of water in a desert's worth of sense (didn't know what to come up with, lol). It's been said before somewhere in this post, and I don't quite remember who,but I'll quote it:

" If you have immunity you can have the lowest boost possible and still beat your opponent." <<< Right on!!

What you, and many ice wizards fail to realize is, you have immunity to a school, and not one little hindered stat could make up for it. Not even if you only have 1% strength to make up for it. Point is, the school you have immunity on can't lay a finger on you, and they have to go scuffling through their converts and what not, as you slowly and painfully lower down their health while they're too busy. THAT'S a problem. That's not fair. But it doesn't make sense to whine much,as i've realized that nothing much will be done to address the issue, so I'll have to put up with a 3-5 hour match against an ice wizard with fire immunity, if it means beating them.
Immunity means 100% or more resistance to a school.

If anyone uses any type of Armor piercing, it lowers that resistance.

Converts also change from 1 school type to another.

There are ways around immunity, the problem is, that most people lack the patience and will to be ready for anything when they enter PVP. They want it all, they want it now. They expect that every battle should be an easy win for them.

That is not PVP, PvP is set to be a challenge!

Survivor
Oct 24, 2012
you need to take off immunity you need to pick if the should have high health or high resist it is not fair to us other wizards out there and you need to take off spamming it is so overpowered and so hard for us to get leveled up in pvp

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Darth JT on Jan 4, 2013 wrote:
Immunity means 100% or more resistance to a school.

If anyone uses any type of Armor piercing, it lowers that resistance.

Converts also change from 1 school type to another.

There are ways around immunity, the problem is, that most people lack the patience and will to be ready for anything when they enter PVP. They want it all, they want it now. They expect that every battle should be an easy win for them.

That is not PVP, PvP is set to be a challenge!
Wait until the elemental and spirit schools get a spell/item card that allows a convert into another school besides the "opposing school."

Also, Armor Piercing will only grow over time so immunity is not exclusive.

Additional options and scenarios will create anarchy and the PvP forums will be set ablaze!! Cheese stocks and availabilty will decrease!!!

Finally, did you sorta quote Queen in your post???? Because that song is stuck in my head.

Explorer
Jan 04, 2011
Severe lack of logic in many of these arguements...

"While the Ice Wizard's damage might seen lower than other schools, it can still be boosted with A, B and C."

That is an invalid arguement. Everyone can be boosted with A, B and C and thus when everyone is full boosted, Ice still end up doing less damage. So it IS a trade-off. There is zero doubt that Ice's universal resist is being off-set by its lower damage potential. So the key question is "Is it being off-set enough to keep Ice Wizard in check?"

Universal Resist is more important than Pip Chance or Critical Rating, this is evident in the fact that every serious PvPer has a Pet with Spell-Proof and Spell-Defy (+ Spritely and maybe Unicorn or Fairy). The only other stats that comes close to Universal resist is Damage. Ice needs to have significantly less damage output to off-set the Resist. Why? Because Resist and Heal can be combined to multiply the effect. If I have 50% resist, then my 100 Life Healing Spell is essentially healing me for 200 Life (because it will take you 200 damage to get my life back down). This concept is known as effective Life vs actual Life. Ice already have the highest Life, this combined with High Resist and the efficiency of healing means that it will take a very good PvPer to take down a Ice Wizard.

Of course, I am not saying that Ice is "overpowered" because I rather face them any day than against a Myth (I have 3 Warlords, Balance, Life, Myth). While Ice is not "overpowered" in competitive PvP, it is "overpowered" in low-skill PvP because it has natural advantages that can be easily exploited. Other schools also have advantages, but they are harder to exploit than Ice Wizard, that's why Ice is seemingly Overpowered at low-skill PvP.