Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

ice in pvp

AuthorMessage
A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
watsupdog111 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
Daviato wrote:
Up to 69% to 71% resistance, 4400 of health or even more, and on top of they can hit as high storm with few blades.

Elemental blades surly ones to blame for giving ice so much high damage...

Their minion is 3 times better than storm minion, yet we storm wizards have ask for a better minion, but nothing.The only school that got their minion improve was Ice.

Ice have obtain power, high critical and huge resistance. Imagine if the game goes level 90, how more unbalance and over rated Ice will be?

My point is not to complain just about Ice but take a look at how few things have gotten the game unbalanced.

If at the beginning of the game, every school had been giving the same amount of damage, health, resistance, and pip ration. Player wouldn't had been complaining about how stronger other schools have become.

Another factor to blame are enchanted cards, enchanted cards had really boosted cards damage way to high which exploits its main original damage.

Well what will be the point if every school had the same damage cards, health ext? The answer is simple, every school has its own element, instead of differencing schools by damage or health, KI should have done difference between mastering it's school element.

Therefor, the game would have been more balance and less complaining about other schools becoming "overpowered". Hopefully KI's next game they don't make they same mistake...

Ice isn't an "immortal" school. Dude, Ice's new Wooly Mammoth only did 213 damage when I got hit and I only had an Elemental Shield. If I didn't, it would have hit 426 damage. Ice has gone weak in damage, but high resist. And also, the 70% resist and such ISN'T universal! Converts are the easiest way to take out Ice if you're Fire/Storm. No problem!
You must have high resist then because wooly mammoth's damage is 800-900 plus a stun so i don't think you got the picture.

No, I have the basic waterworks gear.

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
watsupdog111 wrote:
joujou11cool wrote:
Daviato wrote:
Up to 69% to 71% resistance, 4400 of health or even more, and on top of they can hit as high storm with few blades.

Elemental blades surly ones to blame for giving ice so much high damage...

Their minion is 3 times better than storm minion, yet we storm wizards have ask for a better minion, but nothing.The only school that got their minion improve was Ice.

Ice have obtain power, high critical and huge resistance. Imagine if the game goes level 90, how more unbalance and over rated Ice will be?

My point is not to complain just about Ice but take a look at how few things have gotten the game unbalanced.

If at the beginning of the game, every school had been giving the same amount of damage, health, resistance, and pip ration. Player wouldn't had been complaining about how stronger other schools have become.

Another factor to blame are enchanted cards, enchanted cards had really boosted cards damage way to high which exploits its main original damage.

Well what will be the point if every school had the same damage cards, health ext? The answer is simple, every school has its own element, instead of differencing schools by damage or health, KI should have done difference between mastering it's school element.

Therefor, the game would have been more balance and less complaining about other schools becoming "overpowered". Hopefully KI's next game they don't make they same mistake...

Ice isn't an "immortal" school. Dude, Ice's new Wooly Mammoth only did 213 damage when I got hit and I only had an Elemental Shield. If I didn't, it would have hit 426 damage. Ice has gone weak in damage, but high resist. And also, the 70% resist and such ISN'T universal! Converts are the easiest way to take out Ice if you're Fire/Storm. No problem!
You must have high resist then because wooly mammoth's damage is 800-900 plus a stun so i don't think you got the picture.

No, I have the basic waterworks gear.
Anyways that's its real damage either the ice dude didnt blade or he has low or no damage boosts.

Defender
Jul 06, 2011
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Uhhh, you forgot a few things, like Storm can use shatter,,,,, storm can use Storm Elf,,,,, Storm can use Infallible and the other accurcacy Spell for a minus (-30) to Ice's internal resist.
Also, when Ice's resist goes up on Fire and Storm, it goes down on all other schools, not a great trade off imo. Plus I won't even go into how long it take to craft these new clothes. Why it is not a good trade off, because of Myth, who also extremely strong spells. Life who now spams Life Dispells with -50% heals (infection) over and over. Lots of things you are missing in your comparison.
Plus Death is getting real good at using the upgrade Doom and Gloom, with the -50 heals (infections) stacked on top. Last, you got Balance with the Feint, TC Feint, Pet Feint, Hex, BB, and TC Blade for a huge hit, that even Ice cannot live past (but I have a thread going on that already).
Yes, Ice is hard to pull down and get into the kill range, but with the super heals now, so is every other wizard.

Just my thoughts,
Joe.

Delver
Aug 13, 2010
Well my Ice has 50 Ice Damage, 41 resist, and 4493 health. It seems quite hard right? But shatter can take shields off, and it'll take quite a while to blade up for Ice. But in my highest opinion, Ice is a bit overpowered.

Champion
Jul 30, 2010
Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Uhhh, you forgot a few things, like Storm can use shatter,,,,, storm can use Storm Elf,,,,, Storm can use Infallible and the other accurcacy Spell for a minus (-30) to Ice's internal resist.
Also, when Ice's resist goes up on Fire and Storm, it goes down on all other schools, not a great trade off imo. Plus I won't even go into how long it take to craft these new clothes. Why it is not a good trade off, because of Myth, who also extremely strong spells. Life who now spams Life Dispells with -50% heals (infection) over and over. Lots of things you are missing in your comparison.
Plus Death is getting real good at using the upgrade Doom and Gloom, with the -50 heals (infections) stacked on top. Last, you got Balance with the Feint, TC Feint, Pet Feint, Hex, BB, and TC Blade for a huge hit, that even Ice cannot live past (but I have a thread going on that already).
Yes, Ice is hard to pull down and get into the kill range, but with the super heals now, so is every other wizard.

Just my thoughts,
Joe.

All true.

But the unarguable fact is that storm is barely fourth ranking in the arena.

Are you implying that people don't play storm correctly?
Are you saying that they don't build their decks correctly and put the correct cards in their side board?
Are there too few storm players hence such a poor showing in the arena?

If none of the above are true, then has storm always been the ugly duckling?

If not, when did this change?
What happened at the time of this change?
What are the ramifications of this change?

If storm can't get into the rankings I propose there IS an imbalance. What needs to happen to restore balance?

While I agree that ice is NOT immortal. I personally feel that the reoccurring thread of ice's epic resistance (often times by storm players) is a symptom of the disease, but not the disease itself.

Survivor
Jul 12, 2009
peachesdude wrote:
Think of the storm the most powerful school and ice the most highest health school

Ice can simply put 5 tower shields into his deck if he is level 60 so there he can use many tower shields WHILE there blades are giving them lots of power the storm wizard at level 60 has a shield for fire and ice but its more difficult because the ice has snow angel plus they can simply power up easily and use there wooly mammoth at level 70 this is not good the tower shield is ruining it for the storm wizards so is there resistance plus there spells such as frost giant stun but do low damage at the same time that card is so effective when it criticals simply the storm wizards are powerful and can pwn the ice but not possible with there resistance about 65% and the tower shield making the resistance 80% so then the critical for the leviathan or storm lord will only help it up to 50% while that 20% goes to the ice that 20% should be for the storm
Are you storm wizard? Well you don't always win now. It's just a lesson. Ice is simply grasping what is rightfully theirs. Resist and health. Storm has strength. Life has healing etc. Simple as that. I'm a a transcended thaumaturge.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2010
Think of the storm the most powerful school and ice the most highest health school

Ice can simply put 5 tower shields into his deck if he is level 60 so there he can use many tower shields WHILE there blades are giving them lots of power the storm wizard at level 60 has a shield for fire and ice but its more difficult because the ice has snow angel plus they can simply power up easily and use there wooly mammoth at level 70 this is not good the tower shield is ruining it for the storm wizards so is there resistance plus there spells such as frost giant stun but do low damage at the same time that card is so effective when it criticals simply the storm wizards are powerful and can pwn the ice but not possible with there resistance about 65% and the tower shield making the resistance 80% so then the critical for the leviathan or storm lord will only help it up to 50% while that 20% goes to the ice that 20% should be for the storm

Your just jealous of Thaumaturges (ice wizard). Face it, we are better!

Elizabeth Winterthief
Level 26
Thaumaturge

Survivor
Feb 02, 2011
This has got to be a joke thread. First, any wizard can train ice to get tower shield. Second, storm can bolt through tower shield pretty effectively. In fact, if ice just towers and storm just bolts, ice is dead in about five rounds.

Resists don't affect insane bolt either, and Ice can't blade if he's shielding.

Shatter blah blah blah.

I have about 175 ranked pvp matches under my belt as an ice wizard all at level 60+ (no one cares about lowbie pvp) and spamming tower shields will only beat noobs.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
JoshuaWilliam1 wrote:
This has got to be a joke thread. First, any wizard can train ice to get tower shield. Second, storm can bolt through tower shield pretty effectively. In fact, if ice just towers and storm just bolts, ice is dead in about five rounds.

Resists don't affect insane bolt either, and Ice can't blade if he's shielding.

Shatter blah blah blah.

I have about 175 ranked pvp matches under my belt as an ice wizard all at level 60+ (no one cares about lowbie pvp) and spamming tower shields will only beat noobs.

A joke thread? Or a joke of a response?

Storm can Bolt through tower shield pretty effectively?

Let's examine this. Wild Bolt 10, 100, or 1000 damage for 2 pips.
Now, let's make a bunch of them on unicorn way for the sake of arguement, by enchanting them with Gargantuan.

Wild Bolt 260, 350, or 1250 damage for 2 pips. Now we add in Storms boost of 84% being realistic for PvP sake.

So we got 478, 644, or 2300 damage for 2 pips. Without Critical.

Ok, take 1/2 off for tower shield 239, 322, 1150 for 2 pips.

Ok now Ice with just a spell proof pet has a resistance of 61% to storm attacks. 93, 126, or 449 for 2 pips.

Now yes, you can double that IF storm hits critical and IF ice does not block. So at maximum of 186, 252, or 898. All for 2 pips, which Storm does not have 100% power pip chance.

Now, if you go the route of Insane Bolt. 1275 with Colossal enchantment.
Someone said that storm boost is now included, I have not verified this, but for argument sake, we will add it. 2346 Damage

Now half that with tower shield is 1173.

Ice has 41% global resistance or more, with just a spell proof pet.

692 damage with a 20% chance of a backfire with Ice having 4300 Health or more. So, what 7 hit's are required to defeat Ice, if Ice does not heal.

Yes, Storm may critical and double the damage to 1384 if Ice fails to Block.

Yet, at any time, this is still a game of chance where if this spell backfires, there is NO way for storm to survive, it is instant defeat.

Survivor
Oct 10, 2010
JoshuaWilliam1 wrote:

That really depends on the levels involved. At the early levels storm has a clear advantage since Ice has yet to scrape together any meaningful resistance from it's gear, while a bladed and trapped Kraken will ruin Ice players day.

Since you are talking bolts though I will assume you are referring to the highest levels of characters.

While at the highest levels Ice is running 60+ resistance to storm plus lots of shields and can afford to throw up a weak ice armor now and then. Then coupled with their high health it is storm that looses.

If ice has 60% resistance to storm (easily done) and casts a tower shield every turn against storm. Then storm has 65% damage boost (easily done) and puts a colossal on each insane bolt he casts then storm is looking at doing an average of 212 a hit. When ice has 5000 health, it sure is going to take a lot more than five hits to chip that away.

If you were talking insane bolt. The chances of pulling of five of those in a row before one back fire kills the caster is so small it isn't worth figuring out.

Please don't exaggerate, you will only lead new players to false assumptions and wrong ideas.

JoshuaWilliam1 wrote:

Resists don't affect insane bolt either

That is incorrect. General resistance and tower shield (as well as weakness) will all reduce the damage insane bolt delivers.

Survivor
Feb 02, 2011
It's curious how the ice wizards are assumed to have top of the line gear including crafted gear from Zafaria, and perfect pets. So ok, now that we assume we are fighting top geared and perfect pet ice wizards against run of the mill storm (cause run of the mill storm owns just fine) now the example makes sense, not really.

Do you realize how much storm criticals and how rarely wild bolt hits for the lowest damage possible? It sure seems like a lot of the criticals are unblocked...ice doesn't have high critical block nor does it have high critical compared to other classes.

In both of your scenario's ice has done nothing offensively. It has shielded and used pips for "ice armor" why storm continues the offensive. AT what point does ice run out of shields? At what point is ice bladding, trapping, putting down it's circle of ice, and ripping off a 8 pip angel or 9 pip mammoth? Lord knows we are healing our butts off just to stay alive, and if we can't find a shield and you crit on a 2 pip spell it's not good for ice or any class (it's not like everyone complains about bolts because they are ineffective and not used).

It seems like if another elemental class can't kill someone in 4 minutes, then the other class must be overpowered.

Anyways storm is going to crit on 2 or 3 of the 5 bolts and will kill an ice wizard if he just shields for 5 turns.

I'm about 25 hatches into my perfect pet and I'm still hatching.

Explorer
Sep 03, 2009
Guys please! Ice isn't anywhere close to being immortal!

Ice's strength is they have a pretty decent defense and a ton of health

Ice's con is that, one their defenses can be broken with a quick inflalible, and two they have a bad attack rating,

now if you still think their unfair, you can't really do anything except just not to pvp till the level 70 gear comes out, pve or craft stuff, get new furniture, W101 isn't a game revolved around pvp

Mastermind
Jul 25, 2010
Survivor
Aug 24, 2009
In my opinion, health is one of the only things Ice has (next to resist). Anybody can become a Warlord in PVP. (it just takes patience and practice) If you take away the health, and the resist, Ice would be the worst school in Wizard101. Ice's spells are the weakest, and have average accuracy.

Community Leader
Ice is the most frustrating school to PVP now because shields mean so little any more and our health is down and every other school has greater crit and tough not to mention all have more powerful spells.

Ice can only win in PVP now if the opponent is not geared up or is a lower level.

Hero
Jun 08, 2009
Valerians School wrote:
Ice is the most frustrating school to PVP now because shields mean so little any more and our health is down and every other school has greater crit and tough not to mention all have more powerful spells.

Ice can only win in PVP now if the opponent is not geared up or is a lower level.
Ice has the strongest natural defense. And when fighting high damage schools, shields save lives. If you are an Ice playing offense, change tactics. I remain neutral in the Ice versus Storm war, however. Even though I am Storm, I enjoy the balance of the Arena as is.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
Ok, I clearly now HATE ranked pvp! Whenever I join, I always end up facing an Ice wizard with 55% universal resist! I'm good at pvp yes, but the Ice wizard also had 5000 something health and a Life Mastery Amulet. Also, the Ice wizard had a pet with the Spritely ability. I almost took the Ice wizard out, but then, the obvious! A Satyr! I used Reshuffle, almost taking out the Ice wizard again. Then, another Satyr! I soon enough ran out of Reshuffles (Yes, I did survive that long) and then I got defeated when all I had left was a Judgement, Balanceblade, Hex, Bladestorm, and a Pixie. I had 2000 health left (I heal BIG TIME for a Balance wizard with no healing boost, but I seemed to critical them all the time) and then the Woolly Mammoth came in, obviously hitting low damage. I got stunned (as usual) and then a couple of 40% Iceblades came in. Then, the bomb. A 4 times bladed Snow Angel (Iceblade, Iceblade TC, Elemental Blade and Elemental Blade TC) and dealt big damage. Ice is super hard to defeat now, and if the Ice wizard had the Heartsteel athame, I have no idea how any Fire or Storm wizard could defeat her. A HUGE amount of resist to Fire and Storm! And an Ice Shield spammer! (Surprisingly not Tower Shield). Ice is overpowered, and I think if they practically cut the damage less then half, it's like having a critical block even if you didn't critical, so I think their critical block should be 0 with the Zafarian gear! They can still get a whole lot from their wands, rings and athames. So I take this as fair, or at least PLEASE drop the resist BIG TIME! I'm quitting ranked pvp until then, don't want to lose my rank that bad.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
joujou11cool wrote:
Ok, I clearly now HATE ranked pvp! Whenever I join, I always end up facing an Ice wizard with 55% universal resist! I'm good at pvp yes, but the Ice wizard also had 5000 something health and a Life Mastery amulet...Then, the bomb. A 4 times bladed Snow Angel... and dealt big damage. Ice is super hard to defeat now... Ice is overpowered, and I think if they practically cut the damage less then half, it's like having a critical block even if you didn't critical, so I think their critical block should be 0 with the Zafarian gear! They can still get a whole lot from their wands, rings and athames. So I take this as fair, or at least PLEASE drop the resist BIG TIME! I'm quitting ranked pvp until then, don't want to lose my rank that bad.

sry about the pvp, but I disagree with you on all your points. Ice is not overpowered, nor does it have too much resist. It may have 55% universal, but all schools have universal resist & Ice should have the highest, it is their specialty. My storm has 25% without her good pet and that is without the ww gear. My fire has 30% without her good pet. Both my fire & storm achieve pp much faster, hit critical more often, and without using more than 2 blades and some traps they can hit 4000+ damage in one shot. For my ice to achieve that she needs to blade and blade and trap and trap, basically my fire & storm can hit her twice before she is ready to hit once! As far as 0 resist to critical from Zafaria gear? really? I think thats a little sour grapes there. ALL the schools have some critical resist and other schools get a much higher critical boost than ice does. Each school has their specialty, Ice is resist. Wizards like you need to just change your tactics rather than trying to get a whole school changed just to make it easier for you to beat them. If they do what you want they might as well make all the gear equal for all schools in all stats, oh and let's just make all the spells the same too.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Joujou11cool,

Now think how Ice felt when Wintertusk came out, and crushed their only good two spells, Ice Angel and Frostbit.
I have and Ice (70) and my Balance (70) has faced Ice in pvp, and the 4000 plus health and 48 plus resist is hard to bring down.

First, your a Balance, how could you run out of reshuffles. Second, you have the Balance dispel, so you could stop him from Reshuffling. Plus, Availing hands, your heals are better. Balance can heal with the best of them, and should be hard to bring down... availing hands is Balance's best spell.

The first thing I do is test them with a boosted Hydra, to see their resist to Fire and Storm. If it's real high, I drop Spectral Blast and Hydra out the door and move to plan "B".
Why, because we are the only school that can do that on the fly, without an issue at all. Why try to drive into a solid wall of defense, it's a waste of time.

Chimera does 340 per head, for a total of 1020 plus a 50% boost or so. Much better than the Wooly and a plus 35% boost. The chimera spell can start a good Combo, and works well. Granted it has no after effect, and this does cause problems, but there are some ways around that (with a little luck).
Pound on the Weakness, keep the Aura down with the Myth Aura, keep dropping on the Infection, and you start to get Ice under control.
Blend in the Infection with the Death, Life, Myth Dispel, and you start to generate a few problems for them.
What's the killer for ice, is Earthquake, and I use it on a regular basis.
As soon as they start stacking the Blades, Earthquake starts knocking them off. (yes, I have the Myth Amulet).

This is just a few of the things I like to do when facing Ice, but you need more than what I have listed above to beat them. You can beat them, it just takes a long time. On the other hand, if you end up with a really smart and skilled Ice, any Balance is in for a long, long, hard fight.

I would like to add this, I really see few Balance play Balance even close to the way they could. Balance has a ton of options, but I normally see Judge being used over and over. I see few combos being played, when Balance has some great Combos to use.
What a waste of a Balance Wizard, when all you need to do is add the Myth amulet, and make a very good blend of spells.

Just my thoughts,
Joe.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
What? Wait a minute, I know I read on several posts that you had no problem with Ice and defeated them easily with your all powerful Balance Wizard.

What happened? You did not believe me and the stats for an Ice Wizard?

Granted, when Ice uses this Mega Resist gear, their Power is seriously reduced, which is why Ice needs so many blades. Question is, as you are balance, why you did not have a Myth Mastery Amulet and earthquake all those blades away? Or, why you did not have Triage in your side deck to take away that massive DoT spell?

These are the things that you and many others have clearly said make Ice and Ice spells weak!

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
darthjt wrote:
What? Wait a minute, I know I read on several posts that you had no problem with Ice and defeated them easily with your all powerful Balance Wizard.

Granted, when Ice uses this Mega Resist gear, their Power is seriously reduced, which is why Ice needs so many blades. Question is, as you are balance, why you did not have a Myth Mastery Amulet and earthquake all those blades away? Or, why you did not have Triage in your side deck to take away that massive DoT spell?

These are the things that you and many others have clearly said make Ice and Ice spells weak!

Yes, I agree. Ice may last a bit longer in the arena, but are not impossible to put down. I see it all the time and their serious lack of power makes it hard for ice to take others down unless the ice has serious pvp skill.

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
darthjt wrote:

I haven't logged in a while thanks to homework and such, but Ice takes a while to defeat, I still defeat them now. I don't have much time to type (the typical, homework) but Ice gets 55% resist, that's all I see. I'm not a spirit user, as I've said before, and Ice wizards get around 40% damage boost, some at 50. I'll pvp later with Ice transcendeds when I'm done my homework, and I'll see if I can prove myself wrong

A+ Student
Mar 02, 2010
I'm changing my style in PvP, I switched for 2 weeks and have died a whole lot easier in 4v4, now I'm going big bomb. :D
I mean by all around stats.