Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Buying your way to the top

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Sep 20, 2009
I have noticed with more and more new updates that the line between Higher lvls and lower lvls is fading away. For anybody who justs pays some cash they can get to the top. For ex: with just a few crowns somebody can buy a million henchmen and not have to fight all the way through the spiral. Or they could bribe somebody to go to cl. With some mega snacks they could get a awesome pet that does cl spells. I'm just saying that stuff should have more level caps (like the epic bundle gear.)

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Well, there has always been a crown shop as long as I have been playing...
Yes there are ways to help you advance faster or help you in a tough battle but there are many other ways to get ahead in the game. People who have crown items still have to do the quests like everyone else.
Most crown items have a comparable non-crown equivalent in the game and usually are only useful for a portion of the game before they become less useful by leveling up to a higher level.

Players that have multiple wizards can share items and gold through their shared bank. Players that have "friends" can port to a higher world and level up faster by doing dungeons.

None of this really impacts the game in a negative way for anyone that doesn't want to buy from the crown shop or use little cheats to strengthen their wizards.
My first wizard was Ice and he reached Grandmaster the hard way without any Crown gear or cheat leveling, but since then I have helped out my other wizards in many ways as they progressed through the spiral.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
ambybob wrote:
I have noticed with more and more new updates that the line between Higher lvls and lower lvls is fading away. For anybody who justs pays some cash they can get to the top. For ex: with just a few crowns somebody can buy a million henchmen and not have to fight all the way through the spiral. Or they could bribe somebody to go to cl. With some mega snacks they could get a awesome pet that does cl spells. I'm just saying that stuff should have more level caps (like the epic bundle gear.)

You make some great points. One can buy a Storm 60 henchman and take out every boss in WC in thirty minutes. It's just crazy.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
ambybob wrote:
For anybody who justs pays some cash they can get to the top. For ex: with just a few crowns somebody can buy a million henchmen and not have to fight all the way through the spiral.

Buying a million henchmen is around 12,000 U.S. dollars. If someone is willing to spend that on Wizard 101, I say let them get to the top. I'll take the cheap and more enjoyable way.

ambybob wrote:
Or they could bribe somebody to go to cl.

Even if they bribe their way to Celestia, so what? They can't do anything there, but look around and bother actual questing wizards. They can't receive any of the main quests and they can't go back there on their own (they are actually wasting valuable leveling time doing that).

Even if someone leeches off all the dungeon experience in the entire game, that will only get them to about level 25-27. They still have to get the rest of the 30 some levels on their own, like everyone else. The exception is that it will be a much boring ride for them, since going back and doing Wizard City at level 25 and that could only be described as torture.

Survivor
Sep 14, 2009

You make some great points. One can buy a Storm 60 henchman and take out every boss in WC in thirty minutes. It's just crazy.

Just a note, but a henchman is only good for one battle per purchase. I would also suggest that the Life lvl 50 henchman isn't a good healer and the lvl 60 healer is 50-50 as to whether you get a good healer or one that fails to notice you have 10% of your health left and goes on the attack, heals someone with 100% health or both. They're a gamble as to whether they work well when playing with wizards of the same level. Plus, unless they die, you can't replace them during a battle once purchased.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
The only thing is I have noticed they are making all of our school minions stink now- so if you need help the school minions are so bad now that you have to buy the crown minions if you want to live. The school minions used to be so great you never needed to spend money on the crown ones. NOT NOW.

Historian
Aug 10, 2009
I love the fact we can buy henchmen. I solo a lot of the time and in a pinch they really come in handy.

ellie

Survivor
Apr 01, 2011
I say Life Hechmen Have saved my skin in a few battles. I buy them when i have low health then boom they cast satyr and boom i got health or these use guided light then regenerate and i am back in business.

Wolf ThunderBlade
Master Diviner

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Tbh i think the game has actually taken this arguement before and shows that they are trying to limit the power of crowns like when they got rid of that amazing 35+ beta crowns gear it was insane. Plus universal resistance used to be reserved only for ice, and crowns gear. Now any school can get universal resistance. And since crowns gear actually has a chance at dropping its nice. But I like the crowns system it basically doesnt make it any easier i think it just makes it faster. The henchman speed up the battles for me and my newer characters, plus the mounts make everything go faster. Experience elxirs and all that. But the thing is they still have to go through everything someone who didnt use crowns at all had to go through. While it may be faster because of the crowns they dont have any less quests or any less fights than others have to do.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
1 - Henchman and Crown items are a way to Circumvent the Time Sink factor of the game.

2 - Crown items that don't circumvent the time sink (gear) are available as drops.

3 - Mega Snacks can be obtained through Gardening and Waterworks.