Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Lesser of Two Evils?

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I've been playing on my Theurgist, who when I left him was well into Dragonspyre. Playing through Dragonspyre, I realized that although the drop rates for the most part are pretty good, the battles are irritating. The monsters know their unique skills and abuse them to no end; for example, Ice monsters use Tower Shields and Life Monsters use Absorb almost every other turn. They even abuse spells borrowed from other schools; all monsters for the most part spam themselves with the opposite school's shield and give out Weakness like it's gonna rot (I don't even know why monster have Weakness in the first place, but that's another story). It didn't hinder my progress mind you, just annoyed me to no end.

When I finished Dragonspyre, I breathed a quick sigh of relief and entered Celestia. When I did Celestia with my Sorcerer, I don't remember having any real problems with it. The only thing that annoyed me were the Balance monsters; that was probably the only time I wished I had a Balance Prism. This time around I was completely stunned. The first battle gave the most startling wake-up call I've ever received as a wizard. These monsters that start with just as many or more pips than we do, have any card they desire at their disposal, and hardly ever fizzle. As many others in this Forum have mentioned the drop rates are atrocious, so we're forced to fight these supercreatures over and over and over again until we finally finish our quest. It's very hard for a Theurgist to do that.

My question, as the title suggests, is if all monsters from Celestia on were either gonna follow annoying, monotonous Dragonspyre-style combat, or brutal, relentless Celestia-style combat, which would you pick? Which do you think is the lesser of two evils? Me, I’m really missing Dragonspyre right about now.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I've been playing on my Theurgist, who when I left him was well into Dragonspyre. Playing through Dragonspyre, I realized that although the drop rates for the most part are pretty good, the battles are irritating. The monsters know their unique skills and abuse them to no end; for example, Ice monsters use Tower Shields and Life Monsters use Absorb almost every other turn. They even abuse spells borrowed from other schools; all monsters for the most part spam themselves with the opposite school's shield and give out Weakness like it's gonna rot (I don't even know why monster have Weakness in the first place, but that's another story). It didn't hinder my progress mind you, just annoyed me to no end.

When I finished Dragonspyre, I breathed a quick sigh of relief and entered Celestia. When I did Celestia with my Sorcerer, I don't remember having any real problems with it. The only thing that annoyed me were the Balance monsters; that was probably the only time I wished I had a Balance Prism. This time around I was completely stunned. The first battle gave the most startling wake-up call I've ever received as a wizard. These monsters that start with just as many or more pips than we do, have any card they desire at their disposal, and hardly ever fizzle. As many others in this Forum have mentioned the drop rates are atrocious, so we're forced to fight these supercreatures over and over and over again until we finally finish our quest. It's very hard for a Theurgist to do that.

My question, as the title suggests, is if all monsters from Celestia on were either gonna follow annoying, monotonous Dragonspyre-style combat, or brutal, relentless Celestia-style combat, which would you pick? Which do you think is the lesser of two evils? Me, I’m really missing Dragonspyre right about now.

Those horrid Celestian Wake-Up calls are really annoying. On Tempus Stormfist, I was greeted by a Critical Storm Lord, then his minion chewed away at my health while constantly being hit by Wild Bolts. Yeah, Dragonspyre is kind of my cup of tea, even though the Towers can get annoying.

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
I would pick the insanely powered monsters in Celestia over the shield and weakness spamming mobs in DS any day.

DS was nothing but frustration to me due to the weaknesses, the opposite shielding, and the over abundance of enemies using out of schools spells. At least in CL, I know when I am fighting fire enemies, I only need to put fire shields in deck.

So far, I have taken Life, Myth, Ice, and Balance through Celestia. I found Balance to be the easiest by far. When fighting the Balance enemies, I simply used spectral blast or hydra and loaded up on elemental and tower shields.

Hannah Lifebringer level 60 Life

Defender
May 12, 2009
Definitely ds. As for the tower shields and weaknesses, if you have an untrapped guys, you can use a wand spell. I thought of Cl exactly the same way, like HOW DO THESE MONSTERS DO THAT?!?! I am at least able to solo ds whereas I always hit dead points when i have no friends on in cl. Trust me, if a ds fight takes a long time, losing thirty times if trying to solo in cl takes much longer.

Defender
May 12, 2009
Anyone notice how pretty much every elemental cl monster has it's own version of kraken, and ice uses it as much as storm?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Ok, first let me start of by saying, this is an online multiplayer game...

Now, they have made DS, so easy, anyone can solo it...

Then we move on to Celestia, where they get more pips and more powerful spells... They hardly shield, except for ice and life, which spam tower and death shields.. Oh, balance puts up a few shields every now and then...

However, I like the fact, that the mobs are finally sticking to their schools... Also that it is a bit more challenging... I am sorry, but this is a multiplayer game, not every aspect should be a solo act...

Some are good enough to solo even Celestia, some are not, however, if you are having troubles, this is a computer, no reason to be shy, people don't know you or see you... Ask for help... Make freinds... Communicate a little...

It is not that hard and it is not rocket science...

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
I prefer celestia. i carry with my characters each amulet that gives 3 shields (for fire, storm, and ice) and switched between them while going through knowing i would never be disappointed when using them. plus, in dragonspyre, i want to scream whenever weakness spells are cast on me. -eli, corwin, and crew

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
I'll take the "supercreatures" with gear that sells for good gold but bad quest item drops over getting spammed with weakness any day. That's why it's hard for me to go back to my myth wizard and get her out of mooshu and quickly through DS and (all of :( ) GH and into celestia and winter tusk.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
The Weakness spamming and shields in DS are probably the low point of the game for me, especially when you have to battle over and over again trying to collect something from them that they never want to give.
I like Celestia for the most part, with the exception of endless battles in stormriven and maybe half the science center.

Survivor
Mar 12, 2011
I played as a myth wizard who did the entirety of DS with my ice partner. And it was crazy easy and fun. Overall we both enjoyed it to no end. We were super excited to move on to Celestia, to find that the game had jumped in hardness by 30 points. We struggle massively in some parts. I would take DS over Celestia every day of the week and twice on weekends.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Ok, first let me start of by saying, this is an online multiplayer game...

Now, they have made DS, so easy, anyone can solo it...

Then we move on to Celestia, where they get more pips and more powerful spells... They hardly shield, except for ice and life, which spam tower and death shields.. Oh, balance puts up a few shields every now and then...

However, I like the fact, that the mobs are finally sticking to their schools... Also that it is a bit more challenging... I am sorry, but this is a multiplayer game, not every aspect should be a solo act...

Some are good enough to solo even Celestia, some are not, however, if you are having troubles, this is a computer, no reason to be shy, people don't know you or see you... Ask for help... Make freinds... Communicate a little...

It is not that hard and it is not rocket science...

I had to make a rebuttal: I understand and agree that this is an multiplayer game for a reason. However, there has to be a medium between making combat so easy it begs a wizard to fly solo, and making combat so hard it's downright impossible to do alone. A game should gently nudge its players into considering teamwork as the better choice, not give them a swift kick them in the pants to make them realize teamwork is the only way to survive this world. Although I do like the fact that the monsters in Celestia stick with their school's spells, they do kinda cheat when they cast spells from other schools in that have been converted into their school of magic. Lastly, if you haven't noticed, there aren't always wizards in the area you're in period, never mind wizards who'd be more than happy to help you with your quests. I get told on a daily basis, "Don't join," or, "I'm busy." Believe me, I know communicating isn't "rocket science" and I'm not too proud to ask for help, but who am I supposed to ask for assistance in situations like that? Casper?

PS: As a friend, please never say, "It is not that hard and it is not rocket science" ever again. This kind of redundance should be illegal; either be honest or be sarcastic. Being both just sounds awkward.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
ROFL, ok I will make an effort...

Well, I still have characters that need to go through Celestia, they all might be Legendary, but that does not mean they have completed Celestia...

The message boards is a good place to ask for help... Lots of good people and some who really know what they are doing!!!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
A game should gently nudge its players into considering teamwork as the better choice, not give them a swift kick them in the pants to make them realize teamwork is the only way to survive this world.

While I understand your point here, I have some food for thought. Finding a spot in the game which gently nudges its players into considering teamwork is extremely difficult when each wizard may be at such different extremes of skill in this game. Some wizards make it through almost every battle the first time solo without dying more than a handful of times. Other wizards can't get out of krokotopia without help. Personally, I thrive on the challenge of doing it solo, though I am often inclined to do the longer dungeons with friends for the social aspect of it. My point is that it just might not be possible to hit the line you speak of with such a large selection of wizards here.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
While I understand your point here, I have some food for thought. Finding a spot in the game which gently nudges its players into considering teamwork is extremely difficult when each wizard may be at such different extremes of skill in this game. Some wizards make it through almost every battle the first time solo without dying more than a handful of times. Other wizards can't get out of krokotopia without help. Personally, I thrive on the challenge of doing it solo, though I am often inclined to do the longer dungeons with friends for the social aspect of it. My point is that it just might not be possible to hit the line you speak of with such a large selection of wizards here.

You make a good point, and I honestly would be okay with the fact that these monsters have such an upper hand if it wasn't for the fact that 3/4 of Celestia quests are drop quests. As I said, I'm doing this with my Theurgist. The only legitimately effective attack I have is Centaur and I don't get an attack AOE until Lvl. 58, yet I'm forced to fight mobs of monsters for these quests.

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

You make a good point, and I honestly would be okay with the fact that these monsters have such an upper hand if it wasn't for the fact that 3/4 of Celestia quests are drop quests. As I said, I'm doing this with my Theurgist. The only legitimately effective attack I have is Centaur and I don't get an attack AOE until Lvl. 58, yet I'm forced to fight mobs of monsters for these quests.

Can you craft your level 56 winter tusk gear yet? Between the hat, robe, and boots and a spell proof pet, you should get an attack boost into or better than the 50% area. And with a spell proof pet, you'll l have resist all in the mid 20%. With one of the crafted athames and school only level 56 ring with health, mana, power pip, critical resist and attack boost should make even a seraph WT and CL deadly ...

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Lastly, if you haven't noticed, there aren't always wizards in the area you're in period, never mind wizards who'd be more than happy to help you with your quests. I get told on a daily basis, "Don't join," or, "I'm busy." Believe me, I know communicating isn't "rocket science" and I'm not too proud to ask for help, but who am I supposed to ask for assistance in situations like that?

I've seen other MMOs decrease the difficulty of enemies or increase a player's power on old content where the areas are pretty vacant. Since, as you pointed out it is hard to find groups after a certain time period. Their goal was to get players up and into the newer content for grouping. These are MMOs after all, where the idea is to design group encounters to have players work together to solve their puzzles and strategies. KI is no stranger to decreasing the difficulty on content, so they may opt for that option in the future.

Explorer
Jan 17, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
gtarhannon wrote:

First off i have a life i would like to mention and Ice i think is a close 2nd(plus Balance(main/first by questions), fire, myth, death)

I c I c....Well every school has its high points and life is actually very powerful. You say that Centuar is your only 'Legimate' attack...in meaning you dont use others? Seraph is one that is actually very useful. I would even say Imp is useful. As a life of course your main power is heal...Lifes are expected to wittle at the monsters little by little. When your in a position you 'can't' fact the enemies it comes in handy there are Realms.

I would suggest to any life you have options. Life monsters are your only weakness and you can CRUSH them easily. First Convert them....if you have Death spells great....If not get a wand. Place anything you want then smack them with your attacks. Your goal would be to get rid of one of 2 enemies as fast as possible....Buy Life Prisms. I buy prisms myself cause sometimes I may need it and dont want to fight with decks that sometimes Bury them.

You say you have a balance....I got a Death Master Ammy from the Balance boss in Legend. Trade it. Make your life a Dreadful Healer XD. My balance is a Gloom Equalizer. (i have tried to come up with names for schools using the wizard you are as a 2nd word in a 2 word phrase Just not using their school names)

Survivor
May 22, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I cant tell you how much i agree with you ( well maybe i can). i just started cl and i am only level 49 :(, which means i am getting beaten by the easiest regular monsters!

Hobey Ho!

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
BAF1 wrote:
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:

I cant tell you how much i agree with you ( well maybe i can). i just started cl and i am only level 49 :(, which means i am getting beaten by the easiest regular monsters!

Hobey Ho!

Someone joined the club. Yeah, I too experienced that... morely because my best attack spell was Centaur... yeah, sad.