Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Returning to Waterworks in different realm

AuthorMessage
Defender
Aug 06, 2010
Hello -

I died while fighting the first big boss in Waterworks. Instead of taking pips and waiting to be healed by others I said BRB. I fled and ended up in the commons as expected. I took a potion and went to my marked place outside Waterworks. I went back in solo... my progress was saved, but I was alone...

I fled again and went back to my marked area. I found that I was in a different realm because it wasn't crowded outside the dungeon. So I switched to the realm I was before, and entered alone again. Wow I was able to rejoin my group!

So...

1 - when I fled, how come I ended in a different realm?
2 - is this a bug?
3 - have dungeons always been this way? Maybe I never noticed before, but I didn't think it mattered what realm you were... never had this happen in MB grandmaster tower...

Anyone else experience this? :?

Thanks!
Nora RavenSong lvl 60 Balance
Ellie NightWeaver lvl 60 Death
Nora SeaStone lvl 60 Storm
Ellie WinterBane lvl 28 (?) Ice

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
ellielee wrote:

2 - is this a bug?
3 - have dungeons always been this way? Maybe I never noticed before, but I didn't think it mattered what realm you were... never had this happen in MB grandmaster tower...

e

1.) You ended up in a different realm, because throughout the day the realm population fluctuates. The realm you started on got a little more crowded than the realm it sent you too. This prevents servers from becoming too crowded and slowing down server response time. If you play a crowded server, often times by the end of the week, you will have switched to another server. If you play on a consistent low population server, this server switch rarely happens.

2.) No.

3.) This activity is not tied to dungeons, but rather "zoning" in general. It could happen while you are going to and from your house, as well. But most people only notice it when looking for or doing activities with friends who are not on their friends list. Also, your right about the realm not mattering, except when trying to meet up with specific people. This is why the friends list is so important, because when you port to your friend you are also sometimes changing realms.

Defender
Aug 06, 2010
kingurz wrote:
ellielee wrote:

2 - is this a bug?

e

1.) You ended up in a different realm, because throughout the day the realm population fluctuates. The realm you started on got a little more crowded than the realm it sent you too. This prevents servers from becoming too crowded and slowing down server response time. If you play a crowded server, often times by the end of the week, you will have switched to another server. If you play on a consistent low population server, this server switch rarely happens.

2.) No.

3.) This activity is not tied to dungeons, but rather "zoning" in general. It could happen while you are going to and from your house, as well. But most people only notice it when looking for or doing activities with friends who are not on their friends list. Also, your right about the realm not mattering, except when trying to meet up with specific people. This is why the friends list is so important, because when you port to your friend you are also sometimes changing realms.

I know it happens all the time and throughout - I didn't think it happened mid-dungeon activity.

TY!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Yeah, but now here is the kicker, lets say you were not on a boss, but went in alone. They finished the battle and for some unknown reason, you decide to pull the lever to activate the bosses in your realm. It will activate the bosses in their realm, but they wont have bosses, only you will. They will all have to flee and find your realm to be able to fight the bosses.

No, this is a problem that needs to be addressed!

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
ellielee wrote:

I know it happens all the time and throughout - I didn't think it happened mid-dungeon activity.

TY!

I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen during mid-dungeon activity, but likely happened when you fled and arrived in a "crowded" commons. It probably dropped you off in a less crowded commons.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Yeah, but now here is the kicker, lets say you were not on a boss, but went in alone. They finished the battle and for some unknown reason, you decide to pull the lever to activate the bosses in your realm. It will activate the bosses in their realm, but they wont have bosses, only you will. They will all have to flee and find your realm to be able to fight the bosses.

No, this is a problem that needs to be addressed!

That scenario is the true bug. I believe that happened to someone recently too. Was that you Darthjt?

When Ellielee fled, the computer assumed the fight/dungeon was over. So splitting up the group shouldn't be a problem, right? However, it seems wizards are increasingly using the "return via sigil" method to continue non-port dungeons. Having a current/former group member affect your dungeon instance cross-realm like that should be considered a bug.

I personally believe the Group function should keep wizards together on the same realm, until they break from the group. Then it could scatter wizards across the realms to even out populations. Or move the entire group to another realm if need be.