Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Minions what are they good for....?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Sep 22, 2010
I know being a Myth wizard my minion is useless all he does is cast 50% shields on him self and cast the lowest spells possible he wont heal me...he wont attack when he should if his point are down he'll heal him self but thats it i believe the minions are suspose to help there masters right help in hte battle...KI please revamp the minions i mean really make them more usefull other then just standing there wasing you DIE....

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
dragonpower333 wrote:
I know being a Myth wizard my minion is useless all he does is cast 50% shields on him self and cast the lowest spells possible he wont heal me...he wont attack when he should if his point are down he'll heal him self but thats it i believe the minions are suspose to help there masters right help in hte battle...KI please revamp the minions i mean really make them more usefull other then just standing there wasing you DIE....

Maybe you're not feeding him right ;)

Seriously, you're using him wrong. Turn him into a target so you can build pips. Try this:

I cast a myth minion the second I can, (so they're usually pretty weak) then I stand there and heal and shield myself. He'll stand there, casting boosts, shields, whatever.

Eventually he'll attack.

As long as I don't attack any more the game will hit me a couple more times then it'll start attacking him as soon as he attacks with anything. Soon as it starts attacking him I start passing and building pips for heavy attacks.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Use the Cyclops minion instead of the Minotaur if you need help in battle.

Also, you can get your minions to help more by casting blades on them, shields, etc. The more you 'interact' with the minion, the more it actually helps.

My minotaur minion regularly casts a tower shield on me, occasionally will send a sprite my way and sadly, only casts the troll spell.

However, Cyclops is a more 'working' minion and will cast spells, blades, charms, sprites, the occasional spirit shield and sprite.

The best minion is available as a treasure card until you get him at level 58 - Talos. He doesn't help you life-wise, but has a bigger array of larger damage spells like the minotaur.

Don't give up on the minions...just work with them. :)

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Were you using the minotaur minion? cause pretty much all he does -like storm's minion- is try to draw the enemy's attacks away from you and keep himself alive. if you want a minion that will help attack, use cyclops minion or even the wooden construct (the zero pip one). the cyclops minion will also heal you sometimes. -elijah darkthorn, legendary conjurer

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Out of the six wizards I have only four of them actually have their minions. I use them all.
My life minion is great, heals me and whoever else I am fighting.
My death minion I don't use a lot unless I need to.
My myth has not gotten her mintaur minion yet but I use the cyclops and living puppet the most.
My balance I use once in a while if I need too.

Survivor
May 08, 2011
I am a Balance Wizard and my Minion (A Mander) is not very good, even though he does cast shields on me. :P

The thing is, it won't heal me in my time of, like, I really need healing. So, i'm with you on that. And mine also casts the lowest spells possible, accept for Scorpion. xD

Scarlet SparkleHeart
Level 21

Champion
Jan 23, 2009
really life and mander minions are my fav

they can be a bit messy but they do two things they either allow me to set up my blades while the mobs beat them into dust or they heal either way they are just a distraction a smoke and mirror trick you cast when your boss is one of those hit you every round bosses the minions will give them another target i will even shield for more lasting affect.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Sojourna wrote:
really life and mander minions are my fav

they can be a bit messy but they do two things they either allow me to set up my blades while the mobs beat them into dust or they heal either way they are just a distraction a smoke and mirror trick you cast when your boss is one of those hit you every round bosses the minions will give them another target i will even shield for more lasting affect.

I agree with Sojourna. They are the only 100% shields in the game.

Survivor
Apr 04, 2011
i use an ice minion and it is very useful in a fight. Their are times it does more damage than me in a fight.

Explorer
May 21, 2011
kittycat1910 wrote:
I am a Balance Wizard and my Minion (A Mander) is not very good, even though he does cast shields on me. :P

The thing is, it won't heal me in my time of, like, I really need healing. So, i'm with you on that. And mine also casts the lowest spells possible, accept for Scorpion. xD

Scarlet SparkleHeart
Level 21

you LIAR! mander minion is AWESOME. first, it does a bunch of 0 pip spells on you, such as balanceblade, and may even do some traps on enemies. it gains lots of pips, then it casts a powerful spell. in my opinion mander minion is the best minion there is. (mainly cause its the only minion i have. :-) :-) )

Delver
Aug 12, 2009
As a Lengendary Myth myself, I can recommend that you skip minions entirely. While the idea behind them is solid, in practice you are much better off summoning frogs and Minotaur.

Devin Darksong – lvl 60 Death
Digby Darksong – lvl 60 Life
Duncan Darksong –lvl 60 balance
Dylan Darksong –lvl 60 Storm
Dustan Darksong –lvl 60 Myth
Dolan Darksong –lvl 60 Ice

Illuminator
May 22, 2009
If you could cast a 0 pip spell that did 60 - 120 damage per round for 1 - 9 rounds would you use it? As myth you get this spell at the beginning of the game. It is the wooden puppet minion. Even as a legendary I use this minion. The trick to using minions is to work WITH them not AGAINST them. It does take a little bit more strategy but in the end the minions will be extremely helpful.

Hannah Lifebringer Level 60 Life
Hannah Legendstalker Level 60 Myth

Survivor
Jun 24, 2009
As another Legendary Myth wizard I can tell you that the wooden construct minion is awesome! He's zero pips to cast, ALWAYS attacks, and if you're up against Ice or Storm he knocks those Tower and Myth shields down for you quite nicely. Either your opponents will ignore him and they'll constantly take some damage from him all the time, or they will turn on him, in which case they will waste their pips and an attack that would have harmed you on taking him down. Both results are well worth zero pips on your part! Myself, I just put a bunch of them in my hand and if they kill him I just cast another.

Of course this assumes that you aren't using traps, as he has Myth Bat that will ruin those (I never bother to use traps myself, just blades). Also, I never use him when fighting other Myth, as he'll use up any conversions I cast too. So he's not perfect, but again, still well worth zero pips.

Survivor
Mar 05, 2011
To bring up a previous post of mine, we need a minion control panel. Somewhere that we can tell the minion what we expect of him. Attack my target, attack a different target, don't attack, buff minion, buff me, buff allies, etc. Something to give us a little more control over what is currently a haphazard and somewhat foolish minion.

Survivor
Jul 07, 2009
my fire minion is like the best minion EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!it shields,attacks, heals everthing.the only problems are that it only has 400 health . but overall AWESOME. : :D

Survivor
Jan 09, 2011
you know i have noticed that the minions seem to lvl up with u just keep using it maybe right now it is just 2 low of a lvl :D you'll get the hang of it

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
Minions are the life and essence of early-game battles. The Minion can attack at the same level that you can (if not higher). Then, as the quests take you further into the game, minions become occasional blade-givers and trap-placers and weak attackers that are sometimes not even worth the pips they cost to cast, and they become less and less worth the time. Eventually they fade from your deck and replaced by other spells.

That is most likely the view point for everyone.

However, the savvy wizard knows best:

PvE Minion Tactics

Myth: The only minion that you should be using is Golem Minion. For a 0 pip cost, this little thing can bring the attention of enemies preparing for a big hit to attack it instead of you. How does this pitiful thing do it? Well, it attacks with a spell every round. No passing, no buffing, just plain solid attacks. This thing can finish an enemy when you need to heal. It's great.

Fire: The Elemental's Links and Fire Elves are a constant DoT and great for battles against Ice enemies. While the minion hits it with Links and Elves, you can blade yourself for a big hit without the pesky risk of a shield. Not to mention, it can cast Sprite to heal!

Storm: Liked this minion from the get-go. It's been improved now that it does more then taunts and shields, it will now shield you AND cast Spirit Armor and Sprite, along with the occasional Storm Shark. Nice.

Death: Necromancers receive the spell Animate which summons a minion based on their pips. The Highest minion you can get is a Wraith with 2,000 health. That's nice to have on your side, and the minions that you can possibly get have Tower Shields and Sprites. That's also pretty cool.

Balance: I believe minions for this school have been seriously neglected now. I have not seen a minion for this school been casted in a very long time. :( The two minions for this class is: Mander Minion and Spectral Minion. Mander Minion is a blade-giver and trap-placer and also a Locust Swarm and even a Sandstorm if it reaches 4 pips. Spectral Minion gives you three chances for a minion: Fire, Storm or Ice (Note that the Storm minion is now fixed so that it acts like the Water Elemental)

Ice: This minion is a must in heavy duty boss battles. For all those Ice wizards below Level 38 or who haven't completed the quest for Iceblade and do not have a pet that has the "May Cast" ability, this is your minion. It casts Iceblade, Ice Trap, Ice Bats, and Snow Shark. This minion can take a big chunk out of bosses easily. Once, a Iceblade+Ice Trap+Snow Shark did over a 1,000 damage. If you know Feint, you can easily accomplish that without any other boosts. One of the best minions. Not too shabby on Health, either.

Last, but not least:

Life: Healing is a tough job, and it takes up a LOT of rounds to heal and set back up for damage. It's usually when Mooshu arrives when this minion comes into play. In Marleybone, with the right gear, I can Lifeblade, Tower Shield and then occasionally Life Trap, I can use Seraph and kill an enemy in one hit without healing. Forest Sprite, instead of casting Lifebane, will now cast Spirit Armor. The highest attack spell it can use is Imp or Leprechaun, not entirely sure. :? The highest healing spell it can use is (are you ready? ) Satyr. Yes, if you can keep it alive for that long, it will most likely cast Satyr. I discovered this in a battle in DS with a Gurtok boss in the Great Spyre. The only bad thing about this minion is that it is Fairy-happy and usually casts on itself when it uses it.

That's all the minions and hopefully a re-introduction for minions into spell decks.

*If you want, I will post the PvP guide to minions.*

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
tiryea wrote:
Minions are the life and essence of early-game battles. The Minion can attack at the same level that you can (if not higher). Then, as the quests take you further into the game, minions become occasional blade-givers and trap-placers and weak attackers that are sometimes not even worth the pips they cost to cast, and they become less and less worth the time. Eventually they fade from your deck and replaced by other spells.

That is most likely the view point for everyone.

However, the savvy wizard knows best:

PvE Minion Tactics

Myth: The only minion that you should be using is Golem Minion. For a 0 pip cost, this little thing can bring the attention of enemies preparing for a big hit to attack it instead of you. How does this pitiful thing do it? Well, it attacks with a spell every round. No passing, no buffing, just plain solid attacks. This thing can finish an enemy when you need to heal. It's great.

Fire: The Elemental's Links and Fire Elves are a constant DoT and great for battles against Ice enemies. While the minion hits it with Links and Elves, you can blade yourself for a big hit without the pesky risk of a shield. Not to mention, it can cast Sprite to heal!

Storm: Liked this minion from the get-go. It's been improved now that it does more then taunts and shields, it will now shield you AND cast Spirit Armor and Sprite, along with the occasional Storm Shark. Nice.

Death: Necromancers receive the spell Animate which summons a minion based on their pips. The Highest minion you can get is a Wraith with 2,000 health. That's nice to have on your side, and the minions that you can possibly get have Tower Shields and Sprites. That's also pretty cool.

Balance: I believe minions for this school have been seriously neglected now. I have not seen a minion for this school been casted in a very long time. :( The two minions for this class is: Mander Minion and Spectral Minion. Mander Minion is a blade-giver and trap-placer and also a Locust Swarm and even a Sandstorm if it reaches 4 pips. Spectral Minion gives you three chances for a minion: Fire, Storm or Ice (Note that the Storm minion is now fixed so that it acts like the Water Elemental)

Ice: This minion is a must in heavy duty boss battles. For all those Ice wizards below Level 38 or who haven't completed the quest for Iceblade and do not have a pet that has the "May Cast" ability, this is your minion. It casts Iceblade, Ice Trap, Ice Bats, and Snow Shark. This minion can take a big chunk out of bosses easily. Once, a Iceblade+Ice Trap+Snow Shark did over a 1,000 damage. If you know Feint, you can easily accomplish that without any other boosts. One of the best minions. Not too shabby on Health, either.

Last, but not least:

Life: Healing is a tough job, and it takes up a LOT of rounds to heal and set back up for damage. It's usually when Mooshu arrives when this minion comes into play. In Marleybone, with the right gear, I can Lifeblade, Tower Shield and then occasionally Life Trap, I can use Seraph and kill an enemy in one hit without healing. Forest Sprite, instead of casting Lifebane, will now cast Spirit Armor. The highest attack spell it can use is Imp or Leprechaun, not entirely sure. :? The highest healing spell it can use is (are you ready? ) Satyr. Yes, if you can keep it alive for that long, it will most likely cast Satyr. I discovered this in a battle in DS with a Gurtok boss in the Great Spyre. The only bad thing about this minion is that it is Fairy-happy and usually casts on itself when it uses it.

That's all the minions and hopefully a re-introduction for minions into spell decks.

*If you want, I will post the PvP guide to minions.*

You have an excellent post, but most wizards will never truly take advantage of their minions since they want the minions to do certain things and not use them in how they were intended.

I also agree that some minions have become less useful. The water elemental is a good example. That minion is ALWAYS in my solo deck. However, that minion no longer withstands attacks like it use to in Marleybone with the new zones of Wintertusk and Celestia. While the last minion overhaul in October was a great addition, I believe a different approach is needed. Minions should operate how they do now between levels 5-50. Just like how our new Wintertusk spells improved old and obsolete spells, so should new minion spells. In a future expansion it would be great to complete a quest that offers a card to "mutate" my water elemental into one that has mega-taunt and more health than the current one.

Explorer
Jul 29, 2009
Thanks, and you're probably right, lol. I agree with the Storm Elemental; it saved me lots of times in KT. Now, Storm has strangely been hard to kill with a good bit of resistance. If you don't shoot down a Storm in 2 turns, you're in BIG trouble. One Triton could probably critical you and kill you in one hit. Bad stuff for the opponent, but great for the diviner!

-tiryea

Tyler Storm

Legendary Diviner

Waterworks Warrior

Survivor
Dec 01, 2010
I am most advanced as a balance wizard, a firmly maintain that the mander is more useful in some battle than i am. (which probably speaks more to my playing ability but oh well) It shields me, attacks, gives me pips, and occasionally heals me. Whenever I bring it into battle it is way useful, even though it is easy to kill (300 life). However, I only use it when I'm fighting bosses or in a dungeon. Otherwise it's too many pips that I am saving for different spells.

Andrea Frostwhisper
Level 32

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Vice56 wrote:
I am most advanced as a balance wizard, a firmly maintain that the mander is more useful in some battle than i am. (which probably speaks more to my playing ability but oh well) It shields me, attacks, gives me pips, and occasionally heals me. Whenever I bring it into battle it is way useful, even though it is easy to kill (300 life). However, I only use it when I'm fighting bosses or in a dungeon. Otherwise it's too many pips that I am saving for different spells.

Andrea Frostwhisper
Level 32

Yup, agreed on this one too. The spectral minion is really only useful in certain situations, but since you can't pick which minion you get it gets really frustrating. I don't know how many times I got an Ice minion fighting an Ice boss!!! However, the mander minion is good for all fights, even some against Balance enemies since that minion spends most of it's spells giving you something beneficial. Very little attacking from it.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2011
Well I have to say that the storm minion is the absolute worst! All he does is put up a bunch of shields, then heals himself with a sprite/pixie thing, and then uses more shields.......really, what is the point with summoning minions?

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
HAKIUS wrote:
Well I have to say that the storm minion is the absolute worst! All he does is put up a bunch of shields, then heals himself with a sprite/pixie thing, and then uses more shields.......really, what is the point with summoning minions?

Your right, it really doesn't offer a lot in the way of Balance wizards, but the original version for Storm wizards is actually quite valuable in solo play when used correctly.

Survivor
May 08, 2011
Ohnoswords wrote:
kittycat1910 wrote:

Scarlet SparkleHeart
Level 21

you LIAR! mander minion is AWESOME. first, it does a bunch of 0 pip spells on you, such as balanceblade, and may even do some traps on enemies. it gains lots of pips, then it casts a powerful spell. in my opinion mander minion is the best minion there is. (mainly cause its the only minion i have. :-) :-) )

Yours must be different than mine! :P