Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Muted for ten years

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Feb 15, 2009
(P.S. (Pre-note, not Post-note)Before I start, I think I should say, I know it should be a new topic, but I think it fits here.)
Well, what happens if, like, twenty people false-report you, and they all say you were being inappropriate? Could you talk to KI and sort out it's a "misunderstanding"? (*Cough, cough*, lie, *cough, gag*) Me and my friend have been false-reported a lot of times, and I feel like we're wlking on thin ice now.
(P.S. (Post-note this time) I would really like a moderator to answer in stead of a player, but a player would still be okay.)

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
When I say "parents" I mean that they are keeping players in line when the parents aren't.. If the parents were monitoring their childs language that have open chat- this wouldn't happen and it is. I see all kinds of kids with open chat that aren't 18.. It happens all the time.

Yep, this is true.

It IS KI's responsibility to maintain a safe play space for the children who are its audience. The game is a family game, thus the company has marketed to children and their parents. Responsible parents will not allow their children to go to open websites and talk to whomever is on the other side of the screen. It's not safe. `

If KI abdicated their safety obligation, there wouldn't be a Wizard 101. Parents would cancel those 15 million subscriptions pretty quickly. I certainly would, including my own. If I want to go to the wild, wild west of the web, I'll go to WoW. This is NOT WoW, and chat security is one of the major differences.

Crystalwizard et al, KI is using standard security measures that have been adopted by ALL child-safe online playspaces on the Internet. Just like National Geographic Kids, ClubPenguin, AdventureQuest, Roblox, etc, KI has created a safe playspace by limiting chat to multi-levels and filtered language. LOLZ, KI knows their audience, and they know kids, obviously, so they also know that kids sometimes don't behave very well on their own. They know very well what they are doing, for whom they are doing it, and what such limitations do to increase the safety of children who pay to play their game.

See, security in chat is actually a service we PAY to receive in this game. LOL, even the characters' behaviors are limited to protect children from potential predators. Ever wonder why we can't sit or lay down, hug, or hold hands? It's because this is a game for children and their families, and KI is serious about keeping their players safe.

Thanks, KI for keeping the Great Spiral (mostly) clean and safe for us all!

qbb, mothering Legendary (x3) wizard

Administrator
gatorjaw wrote:
(P.S. (Pre-note, not Post-note)Before I start, I think I should say, I know it should be a new topic, but I think it fits here.)
Well, what happens if, like, twenty people false-report you, and they all say you were being inappropriate? Could you talk to KI and sort out it's a "misunderstanding"? (*Cough, cough*, lie, *cough, gag*) Me and my friend have been false-reported a lot of times, and I feel like we're wlking on thin ice now.
(P.S. (Post-note this time) I would really like a moderator to answer in stead of a player, but a player would still be okay.)

If you're not breaking the rules, you have no need to worry.
Please read the post about what happens when you're reported:
https://www.wizard101.com/posts/list/28843.ftl

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Oct 04, 2009
kwlchik10 wrote:
Ok i get that i did stuff that was really bad but i mean 10 years seriously ? Half the time i spend on that game is talking to other players. There is no reason to keep playing the game if i was muted for that long it would also be a huge waste of money. In conclusion i think 10 years is way to long to mute someone its the same as being banned.

when you do something so bad you are muted for ten years well i think you should be fealing a bit sry for it if all you mostly do is talking to people i am shore there is a game for you out there

Survivor
Dec 21, 2009
How many reports does it take for someone to be muted? I am so tired of these kids with open chat cursing like its the coolest thing on earth and bragging about how they've already been reported over 30 times for it. I mean I thought after maybe 5 reports the players would be muted for like an hour or so, but this is obviously not the case.

Saffron IronThorn,
Legendary Pyromancers

Survivor
Jul 14, 2010
See, I see allot of people use innapropriate language allot but i am afraid to report them because i might get in trouble and be banned or muted.

Anthony Ghostward
Magus Pyromancer

(Look for me in the spiral! :-D)

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Yea I can say that language on the game is becoming a growing problem. But my thinking on this is that we are trying to stop them from using these words by Deterence and not actually showing them why it is morally wrong and why its just a bad practice. You know trying to scare people in to not doing it by saying "oh you will get in trouble if you do this" doesnt actually point out the wrong in it. What i thought it may be a little on the "iffy side" but you know like in school instead of punishing you with like a detention or something some teachers would make you write an essay on why what you did is bad and why you would get punished in the first place. You know why dont we make it so if said player does commit an offense they can repeall it with a letter of apology and like you know a short so to say "essay" on why what they did was bad. And you know they can just send it in an email it does seem different but other games have done it, and its shown results, just some people dont see to learn.

Just something to think about.

Explorer
Apr 09, 2011
kwlchik10 wrote:
Ok i get that i did stuff that was really bad but i mean 10 years seriously ? Half the time i spend on that game is talking to other players. There is no reason to keep playing the game if i was muted for that long it would also be a huge waste of money. In conclusion i think 10 years is way to long to mute someone its the same as being banned.
learn to be nice to others or suffer the consicencies

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
I think muted for 10 years is a little drastic. My defense is a very resolute and solid quote from the bible

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone"

We all will make mistakes and learn from them so why single only a few out to be punished.

Administrator
We do not permanently mute lightly - prior sanctions and warning emails are often sent notifying the player of their inappropriate conduct and the consequences of continuing those actions.

In cases where the first offense is truly egregious, we will sanction on first offense for good reason.

This is our policy and we will not relax it.

community@wizard101.com
Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
thorvon65 wrote:
I think muted for 10 years is a little drastic. My defense is a very resolute and solid quote from the bible

"Let he who is without sin throw the first stone"

We all will make mistakes and learn from them so why single only a few out to be punished.

When we sign up to play we all agree to TOS. If we read them we understand there are punishments if we break them. TOS is our wizardly 10 Commandments. From reading fan sites KI steps up the punishment if people keep breaking the rules. There are times though where one gets a ban right away if the offense is serious enough.

KI used to ban people rather than mute them. They changed that to a 10 year mute for the most part. At least with a mute you can still play.

People need to watch their conduct in game. They also need to read the FAQ so they understand what they can get in trouble for doing.

This is a valuable lesson in actions have consequences.

Megan

Squire
Aug 04, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
We do not permanently mute lightly - prior sanctions and warning emails are often sent notifying the player of their inappropriate conduct and the consequences of continuing those actions.

In cases where the first offense is truly egregious, we will sanction on first offense for good reason.

This is our policy and we will not relax it.

Oh thats different i didnt know about the emails and stuff well if they given a fair amount of good warning than i guess it can be justified.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
KingsIsle can pull up everything and anything that has been said in chat.
No need to get nervous about false reporting or of that sort. KingIsle is directly able to investigate what had been said in the chat log.

Defender
May 12, 2009
Thanks so much! I used to play a really fun game that i had to leave because of the chat. I can feel I am in a safe environment when I am here. Thanks Prof!

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
enough of the excuses from the guilty. and the comment make good points.
i think it is time ti close this thread but keep near the top as a warning.

you did the crime now do the time.

man up and stop whining about it.
play the game and learn from your mistake.

thats my 2 cents

Defender
May 21, 2009
Good Job KingsIsle ! I'm glad when justice is served, espically on a video game. Also I am glad that a video game company would love the keep things appropriate for the whole family, i'd guess that most other companies would let it slip. Well anyways thnx for making Wizard101 a better place.

Survivor
Apr 25, 2010
Thumbs are up in our household for KI taking care of the inappropriate language. Understood it is happening on such a grand scale that repercussions are bound to be sometimes delayed or overlooked altogether. I have also been told on more than one occasion that the foul mouthed player had a "Cheat Engine" that would make the bad language look like I was the one that said it. No E-Mails yet from KI accusing me of the profane language I had reported,thank goodness. An occasional look see by a language monitor, in the Commons area and Ravenwood, especially late at night, I am sure would eliminate a lot of these foul mouthed players. When a friend admitted that she often ran through these areas with her eyes closed to avoid the vulgar language, KI's response was to just turn off her Open Chat option if it offended her. Not so sure that should be the solution to this problem.
Sign me,
Happy Mom, Liz Dreamweaver, Rider, Breaker, Bringer, Finder & Catcher

Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
LittleMeParie wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:
When I say "parents" I mean that they are keeping players in line when the parents aren't.. If the parents were monitoring their childs language that have open chat- this wouldn't happen and it is. I see all kinds of kids with open chat that aren't 18.. It happens all the time.

A lot of parents feel that their child is mature and responsible enough to have open chat and not abuse the privilege. Keep in mind that not everyone is immature and uses bad language.
Precisely,
IMO if wizards really must use bad language to communicate, though I dont condone it!, I suggest let it be with your friends that accept it, chat to them privately or use the group function, and spare yourselves from the ridcule of open chat.
This would save alot of trouble for everyone, less people would get reported, KI would have more time to focus on real problems instead of having to remove chat from accounts, and no one would be the wiser.
Of course the best option would be to refrain from bad language all together, ..I only offer thee alternative for mature users and adult sailors. =p

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Necromancia wrote:
LittleMeParie wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:

A lot of parents feel that their child is mature and responsible enough to have open chat and not abuse the privilege. Keep in mind that not everyone is immature and uses bad language.
Precisely,
IMO if wizards really must use bad language to communicate, though I dont condone it!, I suggest let it be with your friends that accept it, chat to them privately or use the group function, and spare yourselves from the ridcule of open chat.
This would save alot of trouble for everyone, less people would get reported, KI would have more time to focus on real problems instead of having to remove chat from accounts, and no one would be the wiser.
Of course the best option would be to refrain from bad language all together, ..I only offer thee alternative for mature users and adult sailors. =p

Even Private Chat (direct message) and Group Chat are Logged and are scanned by KingsIsle for such flagrant violations that miss the Observer's Reporting eye. If you must swear, keep it to external means of communication that do not involve Wizard101.

Explorer
May 23, 2009
kwlchik10 wrote:

I agree! most players like me have spent HUNDREDS of dollars on this game. Getting muted is almost like stealing in my opinion

For those of you who are upset about being permanently muted, we can offer you the other option instead, which is a complete ban from playing the game.

Just contact our customer support team and let them know that you'd rather be banned from the game completely (this includes your current and any future accounts), than be muted. They can facilitate that request immediately.

As Professor Greyrose stated, this is our policy and we will not relax it.

If you want the prize, you have to build the ladder rung by rung. There are no shortcuts.
Hero
Jul 27, 2009

Thank you Zeke. thank you Professor Greyrose

for the clarity of the rules.
can you please lock this and sticky this thread,
so other will have the chance
to learn of the fate that awaits them
if they break the rules.?

Illuminator
Feb 24, 2009
I got an even better idea than muted for 10 years, send messages to their parents >:) o my gosh, lol just imagine the consequences for the child! suppose i was to swear, (dont worry i dont lol) and my parents found out, o man, things wouldnt be very good. XD i would lose subscription and my parents wouldnt let me play video games for about 1 month i would rather be muted for 10 years than having my parents know that. btw 10 years is a little to much. maybe cut it down to 5, when they have a chance of still playing and being scared of it happening again =P
Also, for the ppl who are 18yr+ in age, they could be limited down to text chat and put on probation, and would then get 10 years if it happened again.
Wait, epic failure idea right now, maybe you could instead of anything, make them pay a loan of 150,000? It would gain interest, and gain 10% every month. this would make it 165,000 if it wasnt payed first month, and then 181,500 2nd month if nothing wasnt payed. This would affect there money by not allowing them to buy a single item until the entire debt was payed off.they could sell, but the money would be taken away immediately, to pay off debt. also, money from fights and quests would just be used for paying the debt. So potentionally, someone could end up paying 570,604 after 1 year if nothing was payed. I wouldnt wanna pay that! They could tell how much money they had by looking at there money which would be in negative by how much debt they still have. hehe enjoy that :P
See ya in the spiral
Nicholas Rubyshard, legendary pyromancer

Survivor
May 22, 2010
kwlchik10 wrote:

Proffeser Greyrose is right (although ten years is an awful long time) that there are punishments to things you do wrong.

Hobey Ho!