Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Muted for ten years

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 23, 2009
Ok i get that i did stuff that was really bad but i mean 10 years seriously ? Half the time i spend on that game is talking to other players. There is no reason to keep playing the game if i was muted for that long it would also be a huge waste of money. In conclusion i think 10 years is way to long to mute someone its the same as being banned.

Administrator
You have proven to us that you cannot interact with other players in a safe way, and we have chosen to remove your chat privileges instead of permanently banning you from playing Wizard101 at all.

Your actions have consequences, both in real life and in online life. This is a valuable lesson for you - you knew you were breaking the rules, and now you're paying the price.

I'm sorry you feel this is unfair, however due to the egregiousness of your inappropriate chat, we felt it was necessary to remove your ability to chat to protect our other players. You are welcome to continue playing, but you have proven you cannot be trusted with chat privileges.

community@wizard101.com
Survivor
Dec 26, 2010
Professor Greyrose:
I want to thank you and KI for making sure that players who abuse the chats are held accountable and are muted. I am a mom of 2 girls and my husband and I play with them on Wizard often! We love this game! I report everyone that uses inappropriate language and/or content. When this happens do emails also go to the parent email account on file? Thanks again for all the safety measures taken to allow this to be a great family game!

Sidney Raingem
Level 47

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
kwlchik10 wrote:
Ok i get that i did stuff that was really bad but i mean 10 years seriously ? Half the time i spend on that game is talking to other players. There is no reason to keep playing the game if i was muted for that long it would also be a huge waste of money. In conclusion i think 10 years is way to long to mute someone its the same as being banned.

Don't cry about it; accept it.

I mean, you can always end that subscription and restart a new one. Be kind to other people on that possible new character and you won't be punished.

Always accept the consequenses of your actions.

Defender
Jan 28, 2010
Well this should be a leason to everyone. If you have to go around a filter to say it. You shouldnt say it. Also if it's something that you wouldnt say in front of mom and/or dad you shouldnt say it. Although I do feel 10 years is harsh. It's likely that anyone who is playing this game today, will not be playing this game 10 years down the road. Nothing you can do about that though. Just keep in mind watch your language.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
I too say a big "thank you" to KI.
As an adult, I am tired of seeing the rudeness and filter work-arounds people have adopted.
As for not being able to play without chat... that's absurd. You can easily play the game; the younger kids do it every day and don't seem to suffer.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
A big thanks to KI from this wizarding mom for vigilance and follow through with penalties for reportable offenses.

To the OP, maybe this is a valuable lesson in public comportment. There's no truly private environment in the cyberlands of the Internet. Just like IRL, there are rules of behavior that everyone is simply expected to follow. Learning those rules is part of becoming a mature human being.

Again, thanks KI,

qbb

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009
You did deserve but they ought to tell you thst you are muted forever if they mute you for 10 years in my opinion.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Thanks KI for being "parents" as well as friends!! Making the game fun for everyone, and not excepting bad behavior.. You guys will always have my business.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Congrats to KingsIsle for this! Hopefully if they register any other accounts, those accounts also fall under this blanket of Muteness to keep them from just making new accounts to continue spewing vileness in the Spiral.

If it's PVP nonsense, scream it out loud IRL, don't type it out if you feel it. Once again, Congrats and Thanks to KingsIsle! They deserve a round of Asgardian Ale!

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
jakehjk3 wrote:
Thanks KI for being "parents".

It would be a lot better if KI stopped trying to be "parents" and put real parental control into the hands of the actual parents.

A much better way would be to create a configurable chat filter than the parents had complete control over, including the ability to decide what words their kids and themselves could say and could not say, and what words they could hear and could not hear.

Baby sitting is not the job of the company, it's the job of the parents of the kids playing in the game.

Then it wouldn't matter what people did, the parents would have only themselves to blame if their child participated in something they didn't want them to participate in.

Adherent
Mar 12, 2010
kwlchik10 wrote:

Muting isn't the same as being banned. At least you can still play the game, but without the things that you weren't supposed to be doing or saying. Have fun playing the game. :-D

Survivor
May 31, 2010
crystalwizard12345... wrote:
jakehjk3 wrote:
Thanks KI for being "parents".

It would be a lot better if KI stopped trying to be "parents" and put real parental control into the hands of the actual parents.

A much better way would be to create a configurable chat filter than the parents had complete control over, including the ability to decide what words their kids and themselves could say and could not say, and what words they could hear and could not hear.

Baby sitting is not the job of the company, it's the job of the parents of the kids playing in the game.

Then it wouldn't matter what people did, the parents would have only themselves to blame if their child participated in something they didn't want them to participate in.

KI isn't attempting to "be parents." They are staying true to keeping the game family-oriented. Parents come here to enjoying playing with their children not to micromanage. This perfect world where parents design all of their own rules & kick themselves for not being better at their job already exists: it's called real life . I think KI understands that we may be parents but we like to relax and have fun as much as the next guy.

Some conversations I've seen in open chat already make your idea an impossibility--vulgarity that has no place in a kids playground. We already have options on what type of chat our kids use.

One of the times that I witnessed a crass conversation, explicit in nature, my child was standing right next to me in the commons. I was speechless and very relieved that on her screen she only saw "...".

As a parent I don't see an issue in making sure your children understand the rules and abide by them. Knowing there is a rigid penalty for flagrant violations (e.g. being obscene, etc.,) is part of that understanding. In life the things you do matter. Doing something bad enough to earn this penalty is a conscious choice. The message is clear: if you don't want the punishment then play by the rules.

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
Maya Goldenheart wrote:

As a parent I don't see an issue in making sure your children understand the rules and abide by them.

That isn't the issue. The issue is that the parents should have the control over what words and phrases are allowed or not allowed. Currently they don't. The only control they have is to either enable or disable the filter itself.

The burden of protecting the kids should rest on the parents shoulders, not the shoulders of a company trying to be those parents.

There are also legal ramifications. As long as KI takes the responsibility for protecting, they are open to lawsuits from parents claiming they didn't protect enough. And there are plenty of people out there who would set up a situation just to be able take KI to court and try to get money out of them. If KI stops trying to police the game and makes it the parent's sole responsibility to do so instead, that problem goes away.

The current solution of a chat filter combined with banning and muting isn't working. People find creative ways to spell their way around the filter and there's nothing that prevents a banned or muted player from making a new account and continuing their actions.

By creating a filter that that parents can control instead, everyone will be a lot more protected.

Even the adults would benefit. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of adults with open chat who would like to be able to have a list of words or phrases they never want to hear, and would like to be able to set that list up themselves and maintain it rather than depending on the game to do so.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Maya Goldenheart wrote:

As a parent I don't see an issue in making sure your children understand the rules and abide by them.

There are also legal ramifications. As long as KI takes the responsibility for protecting, they are open to lawsuits from parents claiming they didn't protect enough. And there are plenty of people out there who would set up a situation just to be able take KI to court and try to get money out of them. If KI stops trying to police the game and makes it the parent's sole responsibility to do so instead, that problem goes away.

There aren't any legal ramifications, provided that KingsIsle makes a reasonable effort and issues the appropriate disclaimers. You're welcome to list court decisions to the contrary, subject to those two stipulations.

On the other note: is there some reason that you feel that the game and/or chat should be wide-open, as your two posts in the thread imply?

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Mastermind
Feb 07, 2010
I too am glad you encourage apropriate language. I realy hate potty mouths and after a long day of listening to peoplle who's vocabulary consists mostly of cuss (swear) words, I'm glad to go onto a part of the internet that keeps everyones mouths clean.

Mastermind
Jun 23, 2010
Maya Goldenheart wrote:

That isn't the issue. The issue is that the parents should have the control over what words and phrases are allowed or not allowed. Currently they don't. The only control they have is to either enable or disable the filter itself.

The burden of protecting the kids should rest on the parents shoulders, not the shoulders of a company trying to be those parents.

By creating a filter that that parents can control instead, everyone will be a lot more protected.

Even the adults would benefit. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of adults with open chat who would like to be able to have a list of words or phrases they never want to hear, and would like to be able to set that list up themselves and maintain it rather than depending on the game to do so.

The major problem with your idea is many parents would not set up a custom filter. I say this because of the number of abuses currently happening. Then what? It would be worse than it is now. The best thing IMO is exactly what KI has now. Is it perfect? No. But it does cut down on stuff quite a bit.

Megan

Geographer
Nov 22, 2010
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:

The major problem with your idea is many parents would not set up a custom filter. I say this because of the number of abuses currently happening. Then what? It would be worse than it is now. The best thing IMO is exactly what KI has now. Is it perfect? No. But it does cut down on stuff quite a bit.

Megan

You're forgetting that there would be a default chat filter set up.

People that chose not to configure the filter would function with the default.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
As in the real world, actions have consequences. A body can't go around doing whatever in the world they want without it catching up to them at some point. Consider it a lesson learned and take it with you for future reference.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
kwlchik10 wrote:

I think that Professor Greyrose is right. When you did really bad stuff, you should be BANNED. KI was just MERCIFUL to you, so if I were you, I'd show a little more gratitude.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
When I say "parents" I mean that they are keeping players in line when the parents aren't.. If the parents were monitoring their childs language that have open chat- this wouldn't happen and it is. I see all kinds of kids with open chat that aren't 18.. It happens all the time.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
mom2mykidzcrcj wrote:
Maya Goldenheart wrote:

Megan

Awesome KI! Great work. Keep it up.
I hear enough of this junk in everyday life and I enjoy playing this game because of the rules of conduct that you have set in place.

Go for it Megan. You are quite correct. I have myself reported a few for use of bad language and will continue to do so when I see it being used. As a matter of fact, one of the people posting in this forum, I reported a few weeks ago.

Crystalwizard12345, KI does have chat filters in place that can be activated by the parents. But it seems that many parents aren't paying attention and don't set the filters or don't care what their kids do online. Unfortunately, it is not just or all kids. There are a lot of adults that think it is just fine to say what they want regardless. The adults should be the ones setting examples instead of breaking the rules of the game.

Explorer
Feb 03, 2011
Go KI! I have been called a few names and been insulted quite a few times. It's not that i have done anything wrong; the people that are rude just do it to be mean. I love the filtered chat; i use the typing chat and never say anything mean or rude. So pretty much if you said something mean or inappropriate then I believe that you should be muted. It isn't fun for the victim. Go KI!
Thanks for making this game a safe and fun game! :D

Survivor
Mar 12, 2009
jakehjk3 wrote:
When I say "parents" I mean that they are keeping players in line when the parents aren't.. If the parents were monitoring their childs language that have open chat- this wouldn't happen and it is. I see all kinds of kids with open chat that aren't 18.. It happens all the time.

A lot of parents feel that their child is mature and responsible enough to have open chat and not abuse the privilege. Keep in mind that not everyone is immature and uses bad language.