Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Wintertusk in not Fun

AuthorMessage
Defender
Dec 21, 2010
The scenery is very pretty. The music is FAB. The storyline is mint. But the battles are way too hard. Thulkir - Try to solo with 8 high level ice spells thrown at you. Forget it. Can't fight the goblins without four other people. Forget it. Why did you bother to make a land that was so tough. For the gamers? Not a family game anymore. KingsIsle you blew it with this one!!! Half the people left while I was trying to play. Hint Hint. Make it easier and more family oriented or you guys are going to lose valued customers.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
So far, my brother and I have had no problem, in Wintertusk. It's hard, but it wouldn't be any fun if it wasn't. You just need a few friends, and this is a breeze to play. So much so, that I have my Ice trying to do it solo.
Yeah, he's been beat several times now, but I just go back in with the Deck set up differently and have fun.
If you don't have friends that play, you always have the Henchmen to help.
A level 50 or 60 against an Ice PvE and you are all set to win.
If I'm in a dungeon and am losing, then it's time for the Life Henchmen, so I can live longer to get the pips I need.
Btw, Henchmen are cheap, imo, only a few cents to play.

I guess my point is, I like as it is, and wouldn't want to see it changed.
I would like to see the Higher levels try to team up more with the Lower level players. This would make it easier for the lower level players, and make it easier for everyone in the game.

Joe.

Defender
Dec 21, 2010
Just commenting that I heard a lot of frustration. And hench cost crowns, some people don't have that kind of cash on hand. That's why I suggest a Random Group button, so people with the same tasks can get together, make the game easier, and even make friends.

Historian
May 01, 2010
i actually soloed up to nordrilund (i stopped after nordrilund exposure, jsut wanted phoenix) help only in one or two battles, nothing major, i was surprised with myself, and i am saying wt is actually pretty easy but thats jsut my opinion, i am fire, so i boosted almost every boss XD

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
With it being new, there are loads of people there to help. the first battle i got into, when i saw the enemies had health like mid celestia level, i thought i wouldn't stand a chance. after a close first battle, i tweaked my deck just a little, then had no problems. the only reason i didn't stay long was the graphics issues making me unable to see where i was going half the time. as for the challenge level, i see it as being on par compared to the xp amounts. even though i get zero xp anyway, this was mainly just from an observational perspective. i'll have to see how my grandmaster fares, though. -eli and crew

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
For those without experience in Celestia, and those who lack strategy of any sort, Wintertusk will not be 'fun' and will be very much a Challenge. For soloing, it is supposed to be a challenge. Even running 2 wizards, I ran into areas where I might have been challenged, if I had not had a Life and Storm team :)

The bosses for the Spell Quest and Pet Quest can be annoying, but at least they don't Cheat.

Survivor
Jan 29, 2011
I completed all wintertusk solo, without even using shields. I am to the trunk of the tree dungeon to use the golden seals. I would be through it solo too but i got disconnected halfway through it. Third time i been going through a dungeon and get disconnected.

Mastermind
Aug 01, 2009
Wintertusk is NOT that hard if you concentrate.. I did the whole thing ALONE in 3 days, and the last battle against the 4 brothers I had 1 other person helping me, and we did fine.. I'm not sure what school you are in, but I'm a death wizard and had no problem doing it alone.

Mastermind
Oct 11, 2009
Hero
Jul 27, 2009
gee if you are level 58 or higher
then WT should be a breeze
that is if you have learn
how to use your magic

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Wintertusk is wonderfully challenging! My legendary pyromancer is having a great time soloing everything, and only has one area left to complete Wintertusk. I don't find the bosses impossible, they just take some time and strategy.

Looking forward to soloing with my Theurgist next!

Scarlet/Iridian/Moira

Historian
Jun 14, 2009
I don't agree with you. I am soloing with my myth and WT is much easier than CL.

I am enjoying it very much.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
I've just run my Ice wizard through Wintertusk. I did it at the minimum level of 40.

It was quite challenging, and very good. I thoroughly enjoyed running it without my healer. I'm considering doing it that way again!

Survivor
Aug 29, 2010
i know it's too hard in nastrond on one quest you have to defeat 4 bosses at the same time even harder than ofan stormfather and the other members of the coven

Explorer
Nov 17, 2010
i soloed it, it was cake.

i even got to the last battle by myself before needing help. i used maybe 2 life henchman cause my heal cards wernt coming up.

gotta love balance!

Delver
Jul 21, 2009
mare62 wrote:
The scenery is very pretty. The music is FAB. The storyline is mint. But the battles are way too hard. Thulkir - Try to solo with 8 high level ice spells thrown at you. Forget it. Can't fight the goblins without four other people. Forget it. Why did you bother to make a land that was so tough. For the gamers? Not a family game anymore. KingsIsle you blew it with this one!!! Half the people left while I was trying to play. Hint Hint. Make it easier and more family oriented or you guys are going to lose valued customers.

clearly you need better gear it's fine i solo the whole thing but the last part were you need at lest 2 but clearly is you, look at the lvl of the monsters there not meant for low lvls KingsIsle did not blow it on this if anything they did a WELL job on it and it is made for family fun. If and if people are leaven maybe they were done and are just farming it thats all i do there now. look at your gear and change a few things around. use shields when needed and you will be fine :) cheers

Survivor
Jan 04, 2011
I wouldn't say is hard, but challenging yes. It's all about strategy when fighting ice bring some ice and tower shields. It'll you need and like all bosses defenses come down over the course of battle just be patient and be ready for power attack when is clean.

Explorer
Jan 07, 2010
mare62 wrote:

Oh plz......what a bunch of whiners, wintertusk is not too hard! some of us wizards like a challenge, if you dont like it than go do briskbreeze or malistaire! I mean malistaire is ajoke now. We need some challenges in this game for those of us who are experienced and want some hard bosses to fight. I fought the most of these bosses solo with my legendary ice and some with my fire friend who is level 42. My legend ice and his level 40 fire beat the final 4 bosses, so yes it is hard, but can be done. If you dont want to fight challenging bosses than go fight easier ones. This game needs a few challenges.

Survivor
Apr 27, 2009
it was easy and its my favorite world the new spells are a little lame but i still love it KI keep up the good work

matt firemancer LV 57 fire

Defender
Jan 09, 2011
First of all i wanted to say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA?!?!

I have had the most fun ever in wintertusk good boss drops sells for 3,000 gold with all the money having 5 outta 6 castles cool boss designs you are CRAZY!

Hunter Deathcaster King of skulls
Wolf Drakethief level 25 Diviner " the myth of storm"
Matthew Windcaster "The life of ice will die alive"

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
mare62 wrote:

That's your opinion, though... I love Wintertusk, but I hate the music, but I still love the scenery too, kudos to KI for that, and gathering hype from getting Nick Jonas for the job, great job again KI.

Delver
Feb 15, 2009
Mr. Lincoln said that Wintertusk is DANGEROUS and HARD. Don't you understand. The difficulty was meant to be hard as Celestia and then harder than Celestia for the fun of it. So far, I soloed 1 boss and that was that green raven in Vestrilund in Vestri's Hall and almost got killed with 7 hp left.

You just need an awesome strategy like spam buffs and defenses and also know which cards should be good for the battle. Sine Thulkir is ice and if you're ice, bring a ice prism.

Just imagine you're own strategy. I told this to my sister when she was stumped in W101 and she suceeds.

A+ Student
Dec 24, 2009
But the battles are way too hard. Thulkir - Try to solo with 8 high level ice spells thrown at you. Forget it. Can't fight the goblins without four other people. Forget it. Why did you bother to make a land that was so tough.

Both my Storm and Fire wizards soloed Wintertusk (except for Nastrond). I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was for them. But, they both have high Ice resistance from their gear--that could have played a part in their relatively easy experience. Also, both Storm and Fire boosted high on the Ice enemies in Wintertusk--again something that made it easier for them.

My Life wizard is having a much harder time, partly because she doesn't have Forest Lord yet.

I don't know when you started, but Dragonspyre used to be MUCH harder than it is now. It was made quite a bit easier in preparation for Celestia (and now Wintertusk). Furthermore, the challenge in Dragonspyre was to go the distance like running a marathon, rather than one fast-and-furious sprint that starts off with a bang!

The point being, you've gone through a Dragonspyre that was constructed differently and was challenging in a different way than both Celestia and Wintertusk. In Dragonspyre, the bosses are high health, but the spells they use against you are relatively weak and the challenge was often in getting through gauntlets with battle-after-battle to reach the main boss. Dragonspyre is about endurance, taking many smaller hits over time. Celestia & Wintertusk are about defense, taking huge hits right at the start. Part of the initial shock of these worlds is adjusting to the different dynamic of defense vs. endurance.

Celestia and Wintertusk enemies feature higher damage spells, and the "advantage" that enemies start out with MORE power pips than you. Also, some bosses cheat, but they do give hints to the rules you have to follow.

So ... here is what you need to know.

The first few rounds of a battle are key to your survival. While you are charging pips, your enemies have a backlog of power pips that they will each use to send at least 2 big damage spells your way. That means you can expect up to four intense hits within the first 2-5 rounds of battle. You can best defend yourself by first, USING SHIELDS, especially Ice and Tower; second, try to use clothing with high general or Ice resistance; third, try to use gear that increases your Critical block; fourth, boost your incoming healing as much as you can with your equipment; and fifth, pack along plenty of healing spells. Having just a few Pixies in your spell deck won't help you nearly enough. If you can, get some Polymorph Treant treasure cards at the very least, or train for it if you're a high enough level.

After about round four or five, the enemies will have used up their stock of power pips and you will be on a more even level from that point on.

While enduring the first few rounds, the way to survive is to hit them fast and take them out ASAP. Don't spend much time setting up an elaborate hit with multiple traps and blades---instead, use those rounds to shield, charge pips, and just use one or two blades at most. Unless your attack-everyone spell is powerful enough to one-shot-kill at least one enemy, you might take a page from Myth and Death's book---focus on killing one guy, as fast as you can, so you reduce the total amount of damage you take each round. If you do decide to go after one at a time, you should take down the weakest enemy first using your highest single-hit spell.

Also, I found I had much easier time with a smaller spell deck (like 30 cards or less) and a Reshuffle. With huge spell decks, you may urgently need something but can't find it in time. With a small deck, you often have all the cards you need right there, right when you need them.

Hopefully some of these tips can help you get through Wintertusk. It is an adjustment, because both Celestia and Wintertusk are quite different from Dragonspyre and Ravenscar.

Good luck!

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
i dont find it that hard but thats because i am a legendary. anyways i like challenges and like how hard KI makes some things like waterworks for us. but if you still cant beat wt then i would suggest lvling up a little more in celestia.

Delver
Oct 08, 2010
Johnist wrote:
For those without experience in Celestia, and those who lack strategy of any sort, Wintertusk will not be 'fun' and will be very much a Challenge. For soloing, it is supposed to be a challenge. Even running 2 wizards, I ran into areas where I might have been challenged, if I had not had a Life and Storm team :)

The bosses for the Spell Quest and Pet Quest can be annoying, but at least they don't Cheat.

Hope you remember to put in dispels for those pet and spell quests. (just a reminder)