Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Insane bolt?!

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
Are there any other storm wizards out there, who, when casting this insane spell and get hit by it, do you get hit for 16 and a half thousand damage? Or am I the only poor soul this is happening to?

Administrator
We have updated the Update notes to point out known issues, including this one.

Insane Bolt Spell currently states that you can do 1000 damage to the target or 1000 damage to yourself. It SHOULD display that it does 1000 damage to the target or 10,000 damage to yourself. While the spell is functioning as intended the text displayed on the spell card is incorrect.

community@wizard101.com
Squire
Aug 12, 2009
atrapos wrote:
Are there any other storm wizards out there, who, when casting this insane spell and get hit by it, do you get hit for 16 and a half thousand damage? Or am I the only poor soul this is happening to?

you must have a 65% Storm Damage boost from your gear. When my storm hits himself, he gets hit for 18,500 (85% Damage boost).

Survivor
Dec 27, 2010
Oh, its 1000 damage to enemy or 10,000 to self? Wow, that is insane! Aptly named!!!

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
atrapos wrote:
Oh, its 1000 damage to enemy or 10,000 to self? Wow, that is insane! Aptly named!!!

It should be called Useless Bolt. What a disappointment to find out this was the new Storm spell. Why would you want a spell that kills you? I have seen it used twice and both times the caster died. I haven't used it myself because it is so dumb. (I can do up to 800+ with Bats and a Gargantuan so what is the benefit of a bolt that does 1000 - but only if it doesn't kill you.)
It has no practical use; just a waste of a spell. You can't even boost it with storm buffs or protect yourself with a Storm shield.
Too bad we couldn't get a useful spell, especially after the equally useless Super charge spell. I mean really, I am going to waste 4 pips on a blade when I already have 3 blades that cost zero pips (I crafted a hat that gives a 35% storm blade and I got a necklace that gives a 30% balance blade card) and a blance blade that cost only 1 pip?
Just stupid. 10% per pip is too much to give up and it uses all your pips so if you don't use it first turn it is really a waste. I can buy another zero pip Storm Blade treasure card at the Bazaar if I need a forth Blade.
Two useless Storm spells, what a disappointment.

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
Last I saw, insane bolt still reads as back firing for 1000 damage rather than 10,000 damage on the crafted necklace card.

I've been using insane bolt in the arena and it takes two uses to kill someone from it. I'll use it because I figure if it kills me someone will likely heal me and I'll be able to get such attacks off with with whatever pips I have after being brought back to life. Because it is moon school rather than storm school, my storm is able to bypass storm shields with it, which is very benificial to my storm. I wish the backfire damage were more around 1000 or 2000 rather than 10,000. As a storm player, insane bolt gives me back the older feel of being a storm player.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
hp1055cm wrote:
atrapos wrote:

It should be called Useless Bolt. What a disappointment to find out this was the new Storm spell. Why would you want a spell that kills you? I have seen it used twice and both times the caster died. I haven't used it myself because it is so dumb. (I can do up to 800+ with Bats and a Gargantuan so what is the benefit of a bolt that does 1000 - but only if it doesn't kill you.)
It has no practical use; just a waste of a spell. You can't even boost it with storm buffs or protect yourself with a Storm shield.
Too bad we couldn't get a useful spell, especially after the equally useless Super charge spell. I mean really, I am going to waste 4 pips on a blade when I already have 3 blades that cost zero pips (I crafted a hat that gives a 35% storm blade and I got a necklace that gives a 30% balance blade card) and a blance blade that cost only 1 pip?
Just stupid. 10% per pip is too much to give up and it uses all your pips so if you don't use it first turn it is really a waste. I can buy another zero pip Storm Blade treasure card at the Bazaar if I need a forth Blade.

One use is that is does 1000 moon damage, which to my knowledge is unresistable. What use to be a bonus for Balance with Judgment has now been given to Storm with Insane Bolt. It's your choice on whether it is worth it to ensure the enemy is hit with 1000 damage (kill shot) or chance killing yourself. Probably not a good solo spell, but will make PvP interesting.

Survivor
Dec 30, 2008
One thing I need to say...

The Insane Bolt is for a resort! so you only use it when your about to die if you want to use it. So its not meant to be used as a regular spell. That's why its 2 pips and is 100%.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
flora567 wrote:

The Insane Bolt is for a resort! so you only use it when your about to die if you want to use it. So its not meant to be used as a regular spell. That's why its 2 pips and is 100%.

So basically they've updated Useless Bolt to Last Resort Bolt (I think that's what you meant)? That makes sense. KI needs to get their stuff together and think of something because this is not acceptable.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2010
atrapos wrote:

After turning our awesome wild bolt into a piece of garbage, they give us another two completely useless spells. All that effort to get insane bolt and triage only to find that they are both WORTHLESS. Why doesn't KI just give us back our original wild bolt and throw these new HORRIBLE spells back at the person who was stupid enough to create them? And, I truly believed you had genius at work there. Well I changed my mind after this fiasco. KI I am willing to bet that if you ask storm characters if they would rather have the original wild bolt back or these two new ones, I know the answer would be to give us back our original Wild Bolt and to stuff these where the sun don't shine.

Survivor
Feb 25, 2010
atrapos wrote:

I and many others never got over it when you made our original wild bolt a worthless spell, and now you add insult to injury giving us two more worthless spells. I am fuming mad.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Charyl wrote:
atrapos wrote:

I and many others never got over it when you made our original wild bolt a worthless spell, and now you add insult to injury giving us two more worthless spells. I am fuming mad.

WildBolt is only worthless if you can't figure out how to put a gargantuan on it, get 150 critical rating, and can't cast vengeance! Now, if you can do those things, then Wildbolt is not as worthless as you think!

as for the two spells we got in Wintertusk, they are far from useless! I am sorry if you can't figure out a way to use them!

Defender
May 30, 2009
flora567 wrote:

When I first got Insane Bolt, I went to Unicorn Way to try it out... I'm sure the lower-level who joined my battle just before I used it was a little shocked when my own spell hit me doing 16,000 damage (lol). I think it would be best used as a last resort spell in pvp. It's just not practical for pve, though. By the time most Diviners get to level 58 they have excellent gear and a decent amount of health, so there really isn't a need for a "last resort spell" in regular game play. Personally, I'd rather shield up and save up my pips to use Leviathan/Storm Lord and have a near guaranteed hit than risk killing myself when fighting a npc.

-Jessica

Astrologist
Aug 21, 2009
If you are playing with someone who heals it is playable. I really kind of enjoy the spell, but at upper levels when everyone has so much health it isn't quite powerfull enough in terms of attack when it can instantly kill you. In play you lose your spot and have to run all the way back if playing alone. Perhaps instead of the damage it does now it should be modified to doing 60% damage regardless of whom it hits and how much health they have. If someone is down to 100 health it would then do 60 points of damage, but if someone has 3000 health it would do 1800 damage. It would not kill you if it backfires but would leave you vulnerable to attack. A better alternative would be to make it do 50% damage plus 80 per pip.

I don't mind the backfiring cause I enjoy being a bit scared upon casting (the orginal wild bolt was always a bit of a gamble and scary whether it will work or not, since accuracy is so high now having it backfire builds a bit of self-fear and just feels more like storm).

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
Just so you know... the Insane Bolt does Moon damage, so you cannot use stormshield to protect. That's a weird twist KI. I think you guys are getting a bit wild on this spell...

Delver
Feb 15, 2009
The reason why they did it is just to make it fair without getting zapped in the face for 1000 damage so they added 10,000 damage just to be fair.

Survivor
Oct 15, 2009
I agree with allot of people out there, insane bolt is not worth the chance of killing yourself. Every time I tried it, it killed me, so it no longer is in my deck. It's a wasted spell, the old bolt was the best bolt, even with the fiz percent.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
hp1055cm wrote:
atrapos wrote:

On bosses with really high health, for example squid boss in waterworks, I can either use a single supercharge, or a balance blade, elemental blade, treasure blade, etc etc.

I don't carry around all those blades and items, so having a supercharge to replace them all makes perfect sense. For those with more patience, having all those blades AND a supercharge ontop of it will produce even more powerful damage.

I was really surprised that the level 35 spell was supercharge. That spell should have been level 55.

Champion
Feb 14, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:

On bosses with really high health, for example squid boss in waterworks, I can either use a single supercharge, or a balance blade, elemental blade, treasure blade, etc etc.

I don't carry around all those blades and items, so having a supercharge to replace them all makes perfect sense. For those with more patience, having all those blades AND a supercharge ontop of it will produce even more powerful damage.

I was really surprised that the level 35 spell was supercharge. That spell should have been level 55.

To each his/her own, and that's fine if you like and use the spell but I think you are focused on the benefits of the spell without examining the costs.

My primary point about supercharge is that it is not worth the cost in pips to use; the trade off of 1 pip for a 10% boost to damage is not worth it.
What you call patience I call a delay in attacking; a delay that in my experience usually means the battle is over before you get to attack.
I can attack twice as often as you if you use Supercharge, and each attack I could use a Gargantuan and my zero pip 30% storm blade...

*The squid at waterworks is an anomaly, and I agree in that once instance it may be beneficial.

Survivor
Oct 14, 2009
I have been hit by my own insane bolt so many times, but i can never hit the enemy. can we lower the chances of ourselves getting hit? I also been getting boosted damage by this attack!

Survivor
Jan 12, 2010
well here is what i think. I think that Ki is trying to be as fair as possible with everyone else in this, because storm is already very powerful. Anyways I still think they should lower the self destruct points or at least make it to where its storm damage self destruct that way we at least have a blocking chance and I am a great fan of storm I have 3 characters, a myth a storm and a balance, I like all schools but storm is my favorite. Well back to the subject, if Kingsisle doesn't want to change insane bolt, I understand but at least give us back the old wild bolt with low accuracy and high attack many would love that please take this post serious cause i have been playing this game for a long time and i like spells like leviathan but insane bolt is just to much and they should fix the accuracy problem cause they stated it only hit the caster 20% of the time but the sad truth is maybe double or triple that and its a death you cant stop so its pretty much useless in pvp well thats all i have to say :-) :-) :-D

Defender
May 05, 2010
I'm not a Storm but why do 10,000 damage to self or 1,000 Damage to Target, while you can hit with 1,000 or 100 or 10 Damage without backfire?
and also you can Buff too!

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I did not even bother questing Insane Bolt.

Wild bolt, before it was changed, was too overpowered. I heard that all kinds of accuracy boosts and accuracy enchantments made this card simply too powerful to use.

Explorer
Jun 16, 2011
~ Hello fellow young wizard ~ well i been looking on youtube and i found out that theres been over three millon damage :x

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
mythmaster1523 wrote:
I'm not a Storm but why do 10,000 damage to self or 1,000 Damage to Target, while you can hit with 1,000 or 100 or 10 Damage without backfire?
and also you can Buff too!

Because you only have a 1/3 chance to do 1,000 damage with Wild Bolt.

You have a 4/5 chance to do 1,000 damage with Insane Bolt (but the 1/5 backfire is much worse that Wild Bolt).