Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Myth minion manual

AuthorMessage
Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Talos down below!

Living puppet;
This puppet cost no pips
attacks: Blood bat(myth) Thunder snake(storm) fire cat(fire) frost beetle

Behavior: This minion is very aggressive. It has very poor health, a laughable 45 points. Think of this minion as a never ending DoT spell. It constantly fires off an attack every single turn from the list of spells above.
Ever since WinterTusk update there have been some noticeable behavioral changes with Wood. He now casts blood bat much more frequently. So much so that in the last four times I summoned it, blood bat was the most used spell. This is a plus in that Blood bat will pick away the myth shields with greater frequency for you. And if time of legend is up, Blood bat can hit with the force of a fire cat and thunder snake against enemies with no resistance. Also frost beetle has been reinserted into this minions spell set. So expect an even softer hit from this minion when it casts frost beetle. Looks nice though.

Also, all other spells are cast with more variety so the spell choices kind of balance out with the exception of blood bat which now sits at the top of most cast spell from puppet.

Final word/suggestion on living puppet: Use it to pick away at health and shields be sensible on how many of these you have in your deck. This little guy will eat your opponents shields and be a pest until the enemy decides to do something about it. Very very handy. Keep one close and become friends with this puppet!

Troll minion:
This minion is an X pip spell to cast with the max pip cost being 3.
At 3 pips troll has 450 health

Spells: blood bat(again?), myth trap, troll(myth) 170-210, cyclops(myth) 265-325, sprite

This minion has also had its natural attack removed! What's going on here? o.o

Behavior:
He loves to trap! remove your myth traps and just use your troll for traps. There is no need to carry traps after time of legend anyway. They take up useful space. Troll traps all the time and you will need him to do so when you want to cast minotaur/orthrus.
Given that he only attacks with myth spells, he does a great job of eating away your opponents myth shields. This is a bonus for you.
He tends to trap then troll, or sometimes trap, pass then cyclops. This I've seen him do often throughout my play time with him. And occasionally he will double trap!
It is rare but he does sprite you. It is more likely that he will sprite himself when his health is low. He is an independent fighter.

Final word on troll:
He is just as aggressive as wooden puppet but with a bigger punch to his hits. The thing is, he passes sometimes and you might not want him to do so in some situations. But that's ok. Work with this minion for sure! But know that you have to have a deck set up so you wont conflict with your minions spells. unlike the wooden puppet, this isn't a minion that you just cast and forget. Its effectiveness will increase if you work with the minion and remember that he is your partner. Don't summon and forget. You can't do that with this minion. Use him to speed up your buffs. If you see him casting a trap, put on a blade in the same turn. This way you shorten the set up time to hit big. If you cant attack but have a blade. Give it to the minion when it is going to hit.

Try to have a deck set up that will allow you to hit hard alongside your troll:
Lets say you have 4 pips, troll casts first trap round one. Put up a blade. In round two you have enough pips for minotaur or ninja pig. If you see him casting another trap, pass or shield. Maybe you will get a power pip for even orthrus. Then when you see him going to hit with either troll or cyclops, your opponent with two traps on them and you are buffed with a myth blade. Hit now. Use up the traps to boost your hit and let troll add on to the damage of your big strike.

Cyclops minion:
Another X pip minion, that costs at most 4 pips and comes with a very nice 700 health at 4 pips.

Spell set:
Blood bat!(lol someone is messing with us...), troll, cyclops, donate pips (balance 3 pips donated to target) sprite, myth blade, myth trap, spirit shield(balance, a life myth and death shield all in one) Ghoul(death)

Behavior:
This guy is tricky because he has a very large spell set. He can sometimes act slow and clumsy. His natural attack hass only 75% accuracy. He seems to be a much more supportive minion unlike the previous two. He will sprite you, give you pips, and give you a blade, which he does a good amount of. He will even shield you. There have been many times where he will pass twice in a row. So this minion will require some patience.
He will blade you a bit much and thats always helpful. His ghoul is great because it allows him to heal himself a little when he takes damage.
This is definitely a minion you want to practice with. The worst thing you can do is conflict with this minions spell choices so pay attention to what he does!
Remember that your minions effectiveness will depend on how you get along with it. So do what you can to complement their choices with different spells that will help the two of you.
If he is casting a blade, put up time of legend, or give him a buff minion spell. Little things like this will make a huge difference.

Final word on this minion: He takes some understanding. his passing can be a liability. But be patient. Once this minion gets going he can be pretty helpful.

Minotaur Minion
Cost: 3 pips
health: 700
Spells: Blood bat(what is it with all of myths minions and blood bat? o.o), troll, tower shield, sprite, taunt, myth trap, natural attack(105 damage)

Behavior:
This minion is your sponge. He is your shock absorber, your decoy. He will usually taunt once reaching 2 pips. This is meant to call the attention of your enemies. His first turn is usually a tower shield on himself. He does this so he can take the big hits. He will sometimes give you a tower shield but that is rare. He will sprite himself when his health is low then tower himself then go back to taunting to draw the enemies attention. Sometimes he will trap and attack. But don't rely on this minion for offense. Rely on this minion to take damage.

Final words:
Sometimes taunt will not affect the enemies. This could be because you may have hit with a frog or earth or whatever on the same turn as taunt. This could be an issue if you are ready to hit and do not wish to wait another turn or two, or if you overlook your minions decision and hit with frog, your minion just ends up wasting 2 pips. Try to focus on setting up and shielding while the minion calls the enemies attention.
Once the enemies have used up their pips, then try to go on the offensive.

Talos
Costs 5 pips
1000 health
Spells:
Natural attack: 2 pips, 200 damage! 80% accuracy
Hex: 30% universal trap
Humungofrog
Minotaur
Stun!
Myth blade
Earthquake

Weaknesses: (Unfortunately, it does seem a little too good to be true, so it was given a weakness. Storm attacks have been granted a boost to talos :-( )
Resists: Is very resistant to other myth attacks. I'm gonna say the resist is 40%? Maybe 35%

Behavior:
he reminds me very much of a balance between the troll minion and cyclops.
There was a frequent cast of hex traps and stuns with the occasional frog or minotaur. This is really nice indeed. But be warned, if you use medusa hoping for the double stun, if talos stuns your enemy before you then you will lose that chance.
He also gets power pips!
Yes that's right, power pips!
Note that this minion is costly, so summon with caution when in a really fast paced battle. Earthquake is a very rare cast but Talos does have it!!

Hopefully this guide will be of some use to people. If there are any problems somewhere, go ahead and address them and I will edit.

(Thanks mods for letting this one thread continue on, just trying my best to give accurate useful information for myth wizards, I hope it doesn't become a bother.)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Minotaur has now been added. Talos will come soon.
If anyone can do other school minions, try one. It would be nice to see how other elements function with their minion(s)

Can anyone take on Deaths minions?

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
Life school minion
Sprite Guardian
Cost 4 pips
Spells: sprite, pixie, life trap, imp, leprechaun and now spirit shield.

Behavior: She will normally trap and cast either leprechaun or imp and heal you when needed. Pretty aggressive but passes fairly often even when she has 2 pips.

Historian
May 01, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
Minotaur has now been added. Talos will come soon.
If anyone can do other school minions, try one. It would be nice to see how other elements function with their minion(s)

Can anyone take on Deaths minions?

you want them on this topic or start another one? i am willing to do the fire minion, and the life minion.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Thanks people. Hold on though! Each school should have their own thread so they can be easier to find! So leave this one for myth only, I got that covered. Other wizards, do other schools for minions there. Leave Death to its own thread as they have a bunch of minions as well.

Historian
May 01, 2010
Tragamite wrote:
Life school minion
Sprite Guardian
Cost 4 pips

Behavior: She will normally trap and cast either leprechaun or imp and heal you when needed. Pretty aggressive but passes fairly often even when she has 2 pips.

forgot satyr

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
slammer111 wrote:
Tragamite wrote:
Life school minion
Sprite Guardian
Cost 4 pips

forgot satyr

Oh she has that ve never seen mine cast that!

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Wooden puppet has been updated based on my own close observations since wintertusks release. A surprise to me, frost beetle has been reinserted into the deck. See first post for more info

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
I just managed to get my own mythical hands on Talos through the quest, and here is what I noticed after one round of battle.

Minion: Talos
Appearence : Earth-type elemental
Cost: 5 pips
HP: 1000
Spells noticed in battle: Mythblade, Stun (two round single target version), Hex (!), Humungafrog.

Behavior: He seems to be a more aggressive-style minion, attempting to get aggro as much as possible without using an actual taunt spell. Only downside is his intelligence seems a bit low, in that he cast mythblade like four times on himself, when it seems he could have been casting something else. Or perhaps this is just efficient pip-building behavior, I don't know.

That's the basic Talos. If I find anything really crazy or cool about it, I'll report it, otherwise others can fill in more details.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
HooVooLoo wrote:
I just managed to get my own mythical hands on Talos through the quest, and here is what I noticed after one round of battle.

Spells noticed in battle: Mythblade, Stun (two round single target version), Hex (!), Humungafrog.

Behavior: He seems to be a more aggressive-style minion, attempting to get aggro as much as possible without using an actual taunt spell. Only downside is his intelligence seems a bit low, in that he cast mythblade like four times on himself, when it seems he could have been casting something else. Or perhaps this is just efficient pip-building behavior, I don't know.

That's the basic Talos. If I find anything really crazy or cool about it, I'll report it, otherwise others can fill in more details.

Thanks for the pick up, membership ended(briefly XD). But I did buy a bunch of talos treasures at bazaar and have been studying it. I'll get to the post right away. So as usual, see first post for details and blah blah
Oh yes, it is official, no more natural attack for living golem :(

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
Update:

Did a couple of more battles with Talos. No new spells noticed, but I believe I have to correct myself. He has been casting "Stun", the plain old single target stun for one round, not two rounds as I originally reported.

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
Delver
Mar 13, 2011
CorbinW wrote:
Really, if you can afford it, just completely replace the cyclops minion and max out with Talos!!

As an aside, I disagree with this statement in a converse way. When I got the minotaur minion, he helped me solo from that point all the way through Celestia with one exception.

The Medusa spell quest fight. On that fight, I dropped back down to cyclops minion for his extra damage ability over the mino. Aside from that, I used the mino in all fights up until I stopped questing in Celestia/WT because of the level cap.

Folks, don't discount the mino minion! His shielding and taunting abilities are really great for the fights you encounter. Just because a minion is not doing damage does not mean it is not valuable in a fight. Mino's taunting ability is just so uber when compared to what a clops might do as you are prepping your traps on an enemy. ;-)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
HooVooLoo wrote:
CorbinW wrote:
Really, if you can afford it, just completely replace the cyclops minion and max out with Talos!!

As an aside, I disagree with this statement in a converse way. When I got the minotaur minion, he helped me solo from that point all the way through Celestia with one exception.

The Medusa spell quest fight. On that fight, I dropped back down to cyclops minion for his extra damage ability over the mino. Aside from that, I used the mino in all fights up until I stopped questing in Celestia/WT because of the level cap.

Folks, don't discount the mino minion! His shielding and taunting abilities are really great for the fights you encounter. Just because a minion is not doing damage does not mean it is valuable in a fight. Mino's taunting ability is just so uber when compared to what a clops might do as you are prepping your traps on an enemy. ;-)

I've noticed the minotaur has been pretty effective in celestia when it came to taking big damage off of you. And it has been what made soloing celestia a little easier. Only a little though, haha. Yes the minotaur is an effective minion to have for Celestia.

It's funny, while you used the cyclops for the medusa quest, I used the troll minion. While it took all the traps that were activated by his traps, I just put up time of legend and fought it bare handed.

Survivor
Feb 08, 2011
Just a note, I've several times seen my Minotaur minion casting Spirit Armor on himself. Occasionally, I've even been the recipient, which was quite nice.

Re: Taunt not always working, my idea of it is like this. NPCs have a kind of "threat" counter for each of their enemies, that increases as that enemy does damage to them. Taunt increases the "threat level" of the caster in the targetted NPC's eyes as if the caster did some significant amount of damage. It's not an automatic "Get that guy NOW!" no matter what the situation was prior, but it does make the Taunt caster much more threatening than a regular attack of the same pip cost.

If I've hit an enemy for 2000+ points with a well-buffed Orthrus, it can take multiple Taunts from the Minotaur before the enemy decides the minotaur is a bigger threat and switches its attacks back to the Minotaur.

So, if you're relatively even with the Minotaur threat-wise (such as at the beginning of a battle before anyone's done any/much damage) then a Taunt will likely cause all the enemies to go after the Minotaur starting in the following round. If you've fired off several Frogs and Earthquakes, don't expect a single Taunt from the Minotaur to make the NPCs forget about you.

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
TerionKai wrote:
If you've fired off several Frogs and Earthquakes, don't expect a single Taunt from the Minotaur to make the NPCs forget about you.

Yes, taunting is simple to understand if you can wrap your noodle around the concept of what the MMORPG genre has labeled "aggro". Aggro is like a "hate list", with a number. Each spell you hit a mob with has an "aggro number" attached to it. Whichever player has the highest number on the aggro list will be attacked in the following round.

For example, if three rounds have circled before anyone has cast any spell on am on a mob, that mob's aggro is still going to be on the first person in the battle circle. (There are exceptions, of course, such as healing another player.)

Now, let's say that the player has first turn in a battle round. If the mino casts taunt, the mobs are still going to attack you in that round, because battle rules are set when the round begins. If in that round you cast a damage spell, you may still have aggro when the next battle round begins because the minotaur's taunt may have been "overwritten" by your attack spell. But most likely, in that next battle round, the mob you did not attack will be aggro on the minotaur, because only his taunt spell had landed on him.

Aggro&taunt is worthy of another thread, and has most likely already been disseminated/dissected/analyzed. Alas.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
HooVooLoo wrote:

This is a great guide. I am currently working on a Myth wizard, and am level 45. At what point is the quest for the Talos minion?
I was able to pick one up in the Bazaar, but he hasn't come up in battle yet. Can't wait! :-)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Can we have some discussion around the cyclops minion? It feels like this minion has um...suffered since the update. It has two one pip attacks now, natural attack and blood bat. In one fight, it passed twice before it gave me a blade then decided to hit. In such time, any strong computer or other player could have taken it out. Making the cast null. I've touched upon it's favorite activity, standing and flexing on the battlefield. As a support minion, it can really be quite clumsy. And it hardly ever casts sprite to help you when you are taking big hits one after the other.

The best things this minion does is donate pips or blade you. Other than such, it doesn't help much. It doesn't even shield as much as before. This is the 4 pip cyclops I'm referring to. Has anyone else found this minion being worse than before since the update? What's going on with it?

Delver
Mar 13, 2011
RavenLady777 wrote:
...At what point is the quest for the Talos minion?
I was able to pick one up in the Bazaar, but he hasn't come up in battle yet. Can't wait! :-)

Taken from Greyrose's post pinned at the top of the Commons...

Level 55 Spell Quests Requirements and Info
There are 3 requirements to meet to be able to accept the starting spell quest from Baldur Goldpaws in Olde Town, “The Spell Trade.”
1. Being level 55
2. Having completed the quest “Su Su Sudrilund” in Sudrilund in Wintertusk, which is given by Grandmother Raven in Hrundle Fjord.
3. Having completed the quest “Thief of Spells” from Erik Wyrdrune in Northguard.

---------------------

Number one and three are straightforward, easy-to-follow quests.

The tricky part is number two. Granny Raven won't give you the Sudrilund quest until you progress a bit through other WT regions, and you can't finish the Sudrilund quest until you progress through even other WT regions, hehe. I don't have the quest tree listed, since I didn't write it down, but if you try to follow the storyline you can get straight to the spell with minimal side quest distractions.

I guessstimate you can get it after about 30% of Wintertusk has been completed.

Archon
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks, HooVooLoo! I didn't realize this was my level 55 spell. It'll be some time before I get that one (I'm currently at level 45), but I'll keep this in mind. :-D

Survivor
Jul 03, 2009
I really like using Talos. He is crazy good at putting traps on the enemy for you. :D I personally like the death minions more, because they depend on how many pips you have, and a 10 pip minion is a 1,500 health Grim Reaper.

P.S. Anyone willing to trade a orthrus treasure card for a storm lord, please tell me! Tell me what time, place, character, and realm. 8)

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Some small additions have been made to Talos in hopes of being more clear on its behavior and spell set.

Thanks very much to those explaining taunt in regards to the minotaur minion and for any other additional posts in regards to the minions.

Delver
Apr 20, 2011
Thank you for such an amazing guide!
I've purchased Talos as a treasure card at the Bazaar but can anyone tell me if he is available as a Myth School spell and where do you quest to get him?
Also I saw mention of Medusa now that sounds really exciting...even if she only stuns she must look awesome.
What level do you have to be to get her and in which world?
Thanks again
James Griffinrider Lvl 48 Master Conjurer