Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Delver
Mar 10, 2009
seethe42 on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
I personally haven't either, and through all these pages I haven't seen a single posted "easter egg" either. All I've seen is comical referrences to tv, movies, myth and other media/history. Not a single easter egg. For those of you who don't know what an easter egg is(this thread is full of you), it's a HIDDEN feature or joke or message in a game or program. Everything posted here is just puns, jokes and cultural referrences that are meant to be obvious, NOT easter eggs.
Yea that's what I thought the meaning of that term was too but it looks like the masses have managed to change it. I guess it doesn't matter what history or the dictionary says if the majority just decides to change it. Or possibly this an alternate meaning of the term. Like a definition 2. You have seen them in dictionaries. Since the meaning is now being used for this it is now an alternate meaning for the term. You don't have to like it, it just is what it is, and not what it was, lol.

Archon
Sep 17, 2012
Pancake3112001 on Dec 29, 2013 wrote:
In Krokotopia, the three main bosses, krokotep, krokenkamen, and krokopatra (Pretty sure I misspelled) are based on Egyptian kings and queens, Tutankamen, Cleopatra.. And I don't know the other
Amenhotep is the other.

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
dangdude98 on Aug 24, 2011 wrote:
Heironymous Bunch in Wysteria is a reference to Pseudonymous Bosch, a writer who won't tell anyone his real name. He's also a self-confessed chocoholic.
Actually, Hieronymous Bunch seems more like a reference to Heironymous Bosch, a Dutch medieval painter famous for his depictions of the consequences of sin and vice, most notably, "The Garden of Earthly Delights."

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
So, after watching "A Chrismas Carol" again this year, it occurred to me that the name "Marleybone" is a reference to Jacob Marley, Scrooge's old partner turned ghost. And that certainly fits the mood of Marleybone in general!

Hero
Feb 26, 2012
Chrissy Th'Blesser on Dec 30, 2013 wrote:
Yea that's what I thought the meaning of that term was too but it looks like the masses have managed to change it. I guess it doesn't matter what history or the dictionary says if the majority just decides to change it. Or possibly this an alternate meaning of the term. Like a definition 2. You have seen them in dictionaries. Since the meaning is now being used for this it is now an alternate meaning for the term. You don't have to like it, it just is what it is, and not what it was, lol.
I think it depends, too, on just how "hidden" you think the reference has to be. Many of the references here are not obvious to everyone, especially not at first glance, and especially depending on the level of education & cultural background of game players. There are many little gems and jokes for people to find in the game. Easter eggs can be hidden more obviously, or less obviously, in games like this, as well as in real easter egg hunts such as those I have done for my children. The younger kids get easier egg hunts; the older kids get harder ones. So I think this thread does qualify. Besides, doesn't it seem a bit odd to be giving a "strict" definition to a term like "easter egg?"

Regardless of how strict a definition of "easter egg" you want to keep, though, this thread is a very fun one indeed! My thanks to the OP and to all the thread contributors.

Survivor
Jul 19, 2011
Outside Scotland yard is an npc called the professor standing next to a telephone booth, an obvious reference to "doctor who"

then in azteca there is a philosoraptor which is a reference to the meme philosoraptor.

suprised nobody got the "doctor who" one.

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
There is a guy called Gordon Sumner (aka. Sting) in Marleybone who is a Famous Singer / Song Writer. Maybe someone in the KI team likes that singer / song writer.

Delver
Jun 29, 2011
- In the Mirror Lake/Shining Mountain dungeon, Morganthe quotes "The Charm of Making", which was taken directly from the 1981 film "Excalibur".

- After you defeat him, one of the bosses in Khrysalis quotes the death soliloquy of the replicant Roy Batty (played by Rutger Hauer) from the 1984 film "Blade Runner".

- In Khrysalis, several of the NPC's have names taken from a series of fantasy novels called "The Elric Saga", which was written by Michael Moorcock and very popular in the 1970's and 80's.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2013
In mount olympus, the first boss, apollo bright one, his name is pronounced a-poyo, and that pronounciation attributes to the spanish word, "Pollo" wich means chicken.

Defender
Aug 12, 2012
PottingTea on May 4, 2011 wrote:
Let's face it - Wizard101 contains a LOAD of references to books, other games and whoknowswhat. And then there's just these little utterly brilliant gems that crop up here and there. So, let's collect those!

However, let's keep it to the little details that most people pass by without a second glance, and which you usually only pick up on the third or fourth run past. Dorothy wanting to visit Toto and Tin Man and gives out Red Slippers for a reward, for instance, is a very obvious reference and thus isn't exactly a hidden gem.

A gem would be Montgomery in the Science Center - who has a scottish accent if you listen to his voice file. His character design is based on an Aberdeen Terrier. The Aberdeen Terrier is generally known as the Scottish Terrier.

So, what gems have you located that you often had to explain to your friends before they understood your sudden amusement?
Some gems I found in Wizard101:

1) In Krokotopia, remember how all the Kroks would turn into sand and then wind would blow the sand away when they die? That's what would happen in the Percy Jackson series whenever monsters sent from Hades died.

2) (This is a big one) The Wysterian competition thingy is from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (one of my favorite books from the series) : The Tri-Wizard Tournament is a competition in Harry Potter where the best student who is at least 17 or older who has decided to put there name on a piece of parchment and the parchment into the goblet from Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, and Hogwarts get to compete. In Wizard101, the best students from 5 different schools get to compete. In Harry Potter, one of the three schools choose to have the competition there. Same thing in wizard101, only it's five schools. In Harry Potter, Harry it's supposed to compete but must by the Tri-Wizard Tournament rules (I won't spoil the reason why if you are currently reading it for your first time). In Wizard101, you aren't supposed to compete because Randalf stole your ring, but you must because of the rules. (etc.)

3) Dolly the painter in Wysteria! She's Salvador Dalí, only a girl :3

4) Krokopatra is Cleopatra

5) Cyrus Drake is kind of like Severus Snape from Harry Potter. Cyrus is often mean to you, much like Professor Snape is to Harry. But, after Voldemort (Malistaire Drake) dies, he becomes nice. Idk why Cyrus is mean, but I won't spoil why Severus is (I barely even know about it, I've just heard people talking about it at school. I'm only in the 6th book ).

6) Petrificus Totalus! Stupefy! These are two stunning spells from Harry Potter, much like Choke and Freeze. The first one is a bit stronger, and the second one isn't as strong. Choke would be Petrificus Totalus, and Freeze would be Stupefy. (I'm not sure if this is a gem, though :3) (Sorry for all the Harry Potter gems, too I'll only do one more )

7) "Harry, yer a wizard!" (This is what Hagrid said to Harry to tell him he had magical powers his aunt and uncle were hiding from him in the first book, the Sorcerer's Stone). In the beginning, your character didn't know at all that he/she was a wizard until he got accepted into Ravenwood. Seem a bit familiar?

What do you think? Have you noticed any of these?

-Nathaniel Redflame, level 47

Survivor
Apr 11, 2011
The Village Of Sorrow in Mooshu looks alot like Lavender town from old pokemon games because of its lavender coloured houses. I also thought this because of its name "Village Of Sorrow" Its just a sad name . I'm not sure if they intended it to look like that but whatever .

Christopher GoldenForge - Level 54
Grandmaster Pyromancer

Survivor
Sep 15, 2010
Errol Everhart on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
- In the Mirror Lake/Shining Mountain dungeon, Morganthe quotes "The Charm of Making", which was taken directly from the 1981 film "Excalibur".

- After you defeat him, one of the bosses in Khrysalis quotes the death soliloquy of the replicant Roy Batty (played by Rutger Hauer) from the 1984 film "Blade Runner".

- In Khrysalis, several of the NPC's have names taken from a series of fantasy novels called "The Elric Saga", which was written by Michael Moorcock and very popular in the 1970's and 80's.
you sure do do your research i see lol!!! :P

Survivor
Nov 08, 2013
what about Pixie crown project Mindy project

Survivor
Jul 09, 2011
The Prospector Zeke quests are actually 80's and 70's bands

"Find the Smith's" in WC: The Smiths
"Find the Beetles" in KT: The Beatles
"Stray Cat Strut" in MB: The Stray Cats and their song "Stray Cat Strut"
"Blue Oyster Cult" in Mooshu: Blue Oyster Cult
"Find the Wallflowers" in Wysteria: The Wallflowers

-Sean Rainbowhunter

Survivor
Jul 26, 2013
This isn't exactly an easter egg, but Sysiphan from Dragonspyre talks like Tinu Bhak' Mal from Krokotopia. I found it funny

Jeremy SkyWalker
Level 33 Pyromancer
Secondary Shcool life
Wizard City Savior
Sunken City Survivor
Honorary Detentive

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
Little Dragon Spar... on Dec 31, 2013 wrote:
Some gems I found in Wizard101:

1) In Krokotopia, remember how all the Kroks would turn into sand and then wind would blow the sand away when they die? That's what would happen in the Percy Jackson series whenever monsters sent from Hades died.

2) (This is a big one) The Wysterian competition thingy is from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (one of my favorite books from the series) : The Tri-Wizard Tournament is a competition in Harry Potter where the best student who is at least 17 or older who has decided to put there name on a piece of parchment and the parchment into the goblet from Beauxbatons, Durmstrang, and Hogwarts get to compete. In Wizard101, the best students from 5 different schools get to compete. In Harry Potter, one of the three schools choose to have the competition there. Same thing in wizard101, only it's five schools. In Harry Potter, Harry it's supposed to compete but must by the Tri-Wizard Tournament rules (I won't spoil the reason why if you are currently reading it for your first time). In Wizard101, you aren't supposed to compete because Randalf stole your ring, but you must because of the rules. (etc.)

3) Dolly the painter in Wysteria! She's Salvador Dalí, only a girl :3

4) Krokopatra is Cleopatra

5) Cyrus Drake is kind of like Severus Snape from Harry Potter. Cyrus is often mean to you, much like Professor Snape is to Harry. But, after Voldemort (Malistaire Drake) dies, he becomes nice. Idk why Cyrus is mean, but I won't spoil why Severus is (I barely even know about it, I've just heard people talking about it at school. I'm only in the 6th book ).

6) Petrificus Totalus! Stupefy! These are two stunning spells from Harry Potter, much like Choke and Freeze. The first one is a bit stronger, and the second one isn't as strong. Choke would be Petrificus Totalus, and Freeze would be Stupefy. (I'm not sure if this is a gem, though :3) (Sorry for all the Harry Potter gems, too I'll only do one more )

7) "Harry, yer a wizard!" (This is what Hagrid said to Harry to tell him he had magical powers his aunt and uncle were hiding from him in the first book, the Sorcerer's Stone). In the beginning, your character didn't know at all that he/she was a wizard until he got accepted into Ravenwood. Seem a bit familiar?

What do you think? Have you noticed any of these?

-Nathaniel Redflame, level 47
Nice list you made!

Defender
Dec 27, 2011
Antonio SandShade on Dec 28, 2013 wrote:
I know for a fact that grizzlehiem and wintertusk is based on greek mythology, some people think it's partially based on the 9 realms of asgard although this is not likely.

Antonio Sandshade, Level 50 Grandmater Pyromancer
Sorry not greek mythology, norse. I made a typo!

Survivor
Dec 25, 2012
I think this "Easter egg" is a dead giveaway. If you go to the Mangrove Marsh area, you should no doubt notice an NPC called "Philosoraptor". If you talk to this Philosoraptor later in the Azteca storyline, (not sure when, LOL) he will have a quest for you. Have you noticed before how he's scratching his chin, kind of assuming a thinker pose? If this wasn't enough, he says things like, "If the early bird gets the worm, then doesn't the early worm get eaten?" Well, if you've ever seen the Philosoraptor meme, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Survivor
Jan 01, 2014
The professor in Azteca is based of Doctor Who.

Survivor
Oct 23, 2011
There is a quest in Mooshu, that is called "A Tale of Two Brothers"
This is a reference to Charles Dickens' book "A Tale of Two Cities"

Additionally, has no one noticed that the TREANTS
are BLINDING references to the ENTS in Lord of the Rings???

Explorer
Jan 03, 2010
Ice Warrior on Jul 21, 2012 wrote:
I think there are some very indistinct refrences to the warriors seires.
1st, Tigerstar is like malistaire. seems frightning at first, but is easy to kill.
2nd, the way the game is set up is kind of like how the many (5 i think) series of warriors are set up. First, you meet the enemy. Then, you travel through the books/worlds, trying to find a way to defeat that enemy. Finally, the enemy is killed (but not always how you expect it). then repeat.
But, along the way, you have to make stops (wysteria, grizzlehiem, wintertusk/field guides, super editions)
3rd, theres alway someone along the way that betrays you, but it only makes you stronger. For example, after you do a quest line, you end up having to fight zarathax, who you thought you could trust. Kind of like in warriors, where bluestar is betrayed by tigerclaw when he tries to kill her.

PS- I hope i'm not the only person here whose read warriors. Or else i've totally embarassed myself......
Faces!
I read Warriors also! I never knew that. Tigerclaw/star and Bluestar have a great connection like the wizard and Zarathax.

Survivor
Nov 09, 2009
jadestaff108 on Jan 3, 2014 wrote:
The professor in Azteca is based of Doctor Who.
The Professor is in Marleybone also, sitting next to a telephone booth. Referring to Doctor Who and the TARDIS. I enjoyed this "easter egg" more than any of the others i have seen. I had to go to him for the 2nd life minion quest.

Survivor
Apr 06, 2011
I don't know if someone already said this but there is a sock monkey in zarfaria in zamunda outskirts behind some crates by the river with the out of comistion bridge right around the longdreamer shamans.

Survivor
Mar 03, 2012
This is a long thread, and I admit I didn't read all the posts in it, but how about the housing items you can pick up?
Example: The produce cart just inside Digmore station.
One per wizard, just walk up to it and press x key.

Explorer
Jan 08, 2011
There's a quest in Colossus Blvd, and its name is "Stop, Thief!" This is sometimes said by the guards in the game Skyrim if you steal something. I've seen more Skyrim references but I've forgotten them. Also, the entire "Call of Cablooey" side questline is a nod to Cthullhu Mythos. Oh r'lyeh?