Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

The brilliant "easter eggs" in Wizard101

AuthorMessage
Hero
Jun 11, 2010
I have another one. In the olden days, it was tradition to send an insulting note on valentine's day. These were called penny dreadfuls, as they only cost a penny. In the commons there is a girl called Penny Dreadful who happens to be dressed in black.

Defender
Feb 25, 2011
Almost everything in KT and Balance Magic is based off of Egyptian mythology (as stated above: Alhazred, Krokonomicon, Judgement). Krokopatra? KROKHOPTEP? (can't quite remember what that one is but I know it's some reference.) The creators of this game are geniuses.

Explorer
May 28, 2011
OMG no lore of the runes yet!! :-o

belgrim ogrebane lvl 30 myth

Survivor
Jun 18, 2009
a quest in takakei outpost to destroy crates of supplies is called "appetite for destruction." Same as title for a great album by Guns 'n Roses.

Survivor
Sep 20, 2009
Here's a couple that other people may have missed, and dealing with Indiana Jones.
In Indiana Jones and and the Raiders of the Lost Ark, they say that Indiana's archeology proffesor is named DR. RAVENWOOD. Obviously the map room quest in krokotopia is taken from the map room in this movie, but the well of souls is also taken from the same movie. The well of souls is where the ark is hidden.

Defender
Feb 25, 2011
Boris Tallstaff gives a quest called "History of Magic," which is a class at Hogwarts in the Harry Potter series.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
Cthulu is one of the elder gods, and is supposedly summoned with a spell from the Necronomicon!

I suspect at least one writer with KI is familiar with HP Lovecraft :)

I always wondered if Gretta Darkkettle is really the Wicked Witch of the West.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the Halloween Scavenger Hunt is rife with allusions to ancient Halloween stories. Jack is an ancient trickster from early Scottish, Irish, and Appalachian American folklore, a cycle of stories known as "the Jack Tales". Jack in the Beanstalk is the one most of us have heard, but there are a couple hundred other Jack stories.

@ozzyrocker, Nice analysis of the Greek epics. I must not be the only one well-read in the classics of western literature :) Wonder if the ancient Sumerian stories will wend their ways into the Great Spiral?

So many stories, and the immensity of cyber space in which to explore them.

qbb, Bookworm

haha maybe we can add a character named Gilgamesh in a new district of Krokotopia??

Who's Gilgamesh? never heard of him before i think lol

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
There is a hat called "Headwraps of Much Ado", and Shakespeare wrote a play called "Much Ado About Nothing".

Survivor
Jun 03, 2009
wizard city: america
krokotopia: egypt
marleybone: england
mooshu: china/japan
dragonspyre: rome
grizzlehiem/wintertusk: ????
celestia: atlantis

Defender
Aug 03, 2009
A few from Wysteria:
1. There is a rabbit guard named "Lt. Roger." Possibly Roger Rabbit (Who Framed Roger Rabbit?)
2. I guess this is just more of a reference to the game itself IN the game. In the Tournament Hall in Wysteria, you can see portraits of a young Alhazred, Emperor Yoshihito, Merle Ambrose, Diego, Sherlock Bones, and Malistaire!

Survivor
Jan 15, 2011
marlybone seems to have alot. just listen to the marlybone theme! it sounds almost exactly the same as hedwigs theme! (i only know hedwigs theme because it was a solo in my school band back in april!)

Hero
Jun 11, 2010
This is a bit obvious, but only if you complete it. There's a badge you get by defeating enough undead titled "Ghostbuster".

Defender
Feb 25, 2011
In Wysteria, there is a dog in the streets that is painting that has the name above her head "Dolly Salvadore", a reference to the surrealist Salvator Dali. There are also portraits of Ambrose, Malistaire, Diego, and Emperor Yoshihito in Pigswick.

Explorer
Jul 14, 2010
I've read a book by James Patterson called Witch & Wizard and of the two main characters (i could never decide which one the true main character was ) one was named Wisteria Allgood.
And all of wisteria is good. Almost :P And i suppose the name Chester Droors as well, meaning chest of drawers (it's commonly known as a dresser) the Earth Professor of Pigswick Academy.

Survivor
Jun 06, 2009
I've seen several references to classic band album and song titles, for example a quest in Celestia is named after the Pink Floyd album, "Dark Side of the Moon". And if I remember correctly, one quest is named after a Beatle's song, Here Comes the Sun. This just goes to show KI has great taste in music. I am truly loving all the references.

Survivor
Jul 14, 2010
kaleeraisen wrote:
ozzyrocker412 wrote:
queenlybluebean wrote:
Cthulu is one of the elder gods, and is supposedly summoned with a spell from the Necronomicon!

I suspect at least one writer with KI is familiar with HP Lovecraft :)

I always wondered if Gretta Darkkettle is really the Wicked Witch of the West.

Don't know if someone already mentioned this, but the Halloween Scavenger Hunt is rife with allusions to ancient Halloween stories. Jack is an ancient trickster from early Scottish, Irish, and Appalachian American folklore, a cycle of stories known as "the Jack Tales". Jack in the Beanstalk is the one most of us have heard, but there are a couple hundred other Jack stories.

@ozzyrocker, Nice analysis of the Greek epics. I must not be the only one well-read in the classics of western literature :) Wonder if the ancient Sumerian stories will wend their ways into the Great Spiral?

So many stories, and the immensity of cyber space in which to explore them.

qbb, Bookworm

haha maybe we can add a character named Gilgamesh in a new district of Krokotopia??

Who's Gilgamesh? never heard of him before i think lol

Who doesn't know Gelgamesh! Ever heard of the SMURFS! LOL

Anthony Ghostward
GO PYROMANCY!

Survivor
Dec 17, 2009
there is a quest in mooshu called Appetite For Destruction, which was the title of Gun's & Roses first album.

Jasmine Icecrafter lvl 60 pyro Dragonspyre master
Alyssa Swifthunter lvl 60 thergiest Emerald champion
Alia Drake lvl 35 sorceress Master of the Oasis

Defender
Sep 18, 2009

Who doesn't know Gelgamesh! Ever heard of the SMURFS! LOL

Anthony Ghostward
GO PYROMANCY!

Uhh, that was Gargamel in the Smurfs.

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
Oh, and malt22, if you love Blue Oyster Cult then see the Saturday Night Live cowbell skit. "I've got a fever, and the only perscription is more cowbell!"

Jasmine
"I've got a fever, and the only perscription is more cowbell!"

That skit cracks me up. I love anything Christopher Walken does. He did a great Top Chef skit for Saturday Night Live too. :P

Explorer
Mar 14, 2009
cookiejar42 wrote:
Almost everything in KT and Balance Magic is based off of Egyptian mythology (as stated above: Alhazred, Krokonomicon, Judgement). Krokopatra? KROKHOPTEP? (can't quite remember what that one is but I know it's some reference.) The creators of this game are geniuses.

Krokhoptep is possibly parodying the Egyptian polymath, Imhotep, who served Djoser, the king of the Third Dynasty. He was also a doctor, a builder, a carpenter, and many more things.

He was built a shrine after his death, which was extremely rare for a commoner, which is why he might be famous.

Also, try "The Mummy".

Tyler Summertail Level 54 Grandmaster Pyromancer

"Television is a medium because anything well done is rare."-Fred Allen

Archon
Feb 07, 2011
cookiejar42 wrote:
In Wysteria, there is a dog in the streets that is painting that has the name above her head "Dolly Salvadore", a reference to the surrealist Salvator Dali. There are also portraits of Ambrose, Malistaire, Diego, and Emperor Yoshihito in Pigswick.

Thanks for confirming that- I thought about it, but also figured I might be reading too much into it. :P

I also just found this one: There's a rabbit in Wysteria called Captain O'Hare- this is, I think, a reference to Bucky O'Hare, the character from the cartoon/comic book franchise that was big in the late 70s and early 80s. The kids probably won't notice, but I bet some of the older players will. :)

PS: The Krok place was my favourite- I loved all of the references, especially Krokopatra, Krokhotep, and the Krokonomicon. I may also be slightly biased, as I am a Balance wiz and that's where my school is, but don't mind me. :P

Update: Just discovered that the stablemaster in Wysteria is a rabbit called Lapin Wingtamer. If you're like me, you'll probably notice that "lapin" is the French word for rabbit- this is, to me, a true gem that most people won't catch onto. After all, how many people in the U.S., where the site is based, speak French? Keep 'em coming, KI!

Laura Shadowsong,
Master of Balance

Defender
Mar 06, 2010
brenman123 wrote:
wizard city: america
krokotopia: egypt
marleybone: england
mooshu: china/japan
dragonspyre: rome
grizzlehiem/wintertusk: ????
celestia: atlantis

grizzlehiem/wintertusk: norway-vikings: baldur goldpaws is an explorer, their god is a frost giant, which i believe is a reference to odin, the norse god. Lots of the people in gh / wt have norse names or are named after norse gods.

Survivor
Dec 28, 2008
idk how many other people have noticed this, but in the pet pavillion, the guys who run the pet shop are the pet shop boys, a band from the 80s, and the pet snack shopkeepers are the west ende girls, and the west end girls is a song by said pet shop boys

Squire
Mar 07, 2011
From Wysteria, here is a couple more rabbits that I can remember off the top of my head.

1. Private Eddie- Eddie Rabbit, the singer songwriter
2. Sergeant Harvey- Harvey is a movie about an imaginary giant rabbit that befriends Jimmy Stewart (going back to 1950 here)
3. Lt. Roger- Ode to Who Framed Roger Rabbit maybe

There must be an ode to Bugs Bunny in there, but I can't remember it.

Survivor
Jul 21, 2011
Noticed any members of the Police in the Square in Marleybone? And I'm not referring to the boys in blue...