Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Why So Restricted?

AuthorMessage
Defender
May 21, 2009
Why is Text Chat so restricted now? I mean, I can't capitalize my sentences, I can't use commas or other puntuations, I can't even say words like "redocorate", or use quotation marks, etc. I know its not as open as Open Chat but I mean I can do this, "XD," but not this, " Can you give me a shield, please." (If you think I am talking about the setence itself I am not, I am just talking about the correst punctuation.) So please KingsIsle can you make Text Chat a little less restricted.

P.S: I wouldn't mind if we could use numbers to say what level we are.

Christopher JadeBlade
lvl.60 Theurigst
Technomancer

Nicole GiantFinder
lvl31. Conjurer
Hero of Krokotopia (I think)

Administrator
KingsIsle Entertainment has developed Wizard101 to be an exciting and fun online experience for people of all ages. We believe that an important part of delivering online entertainment is to provide a safe environment for all players, and that’s a responsibility we take seriously.

To that end, we’ve implemented features in the game that are specifically designed for player safety.

We have excluded numbers from the chat system to ensure that children who don't know better cannot easily exchange private information.

Between KingsIsle’s commitment to maintaining a family friendly game and the increasing amount of players using the caps to talk around chat filters, it was deemed to be an appropriate action to remove the capitalization ability in the filtered chat. As long as you’re chatting appropriately and within the filters, there should be no issue with communications.

community@wizard101.com
Historian
Jan 05, 2011
christopher62597 wrote:
Why is Text Chat so restricted now? I mean, I can't capitalize my sentences, I can't use commas or other puntuations, I can't even say words like "redocorate", or use quotation marks, etc. I know its not as open as Open Chat but I mean I can do this, "XD," but not this, " Can you give me a shield, please." (If you think I am talking about the setence itself I am not, I am just talking about the correst punctuation.) So please KingsIsle can you make Text Chat a little less restricted. P.S: I wouldn't mind if we could use numbers to say what level we are. Christopher JadeBlade lvl.60 Theurigst Technomancer Nicole GiantFinder lvl31. Conjurer Hero of Krokotopia (I think)
before i got open chat i found out that you can tell people your level by using menu chat bubbles. click on menu chat, go to friendly, then stats, then there is a bubble to show your level, your health, or your mana. as a semi useless side note, you can also type 7-11 if you type it exactly like i just did with the hyphen. i imagine that's in there for the convenience store, not for workday hours.

Defender
May 21, 2009
Professor Greyrose wrote:
KingsIsle Entertainment has developed Wizard101 to be an exciting and fun online experience for people of all ages. We believe that an important part of delivering online entertainment is to provide a safe environment for all players, and that’s a responsibility we take seriously.

To that end, we’ve implemented features in the game that are specifically designed for player safety.

We have excluded numbers from the chat system to ensure that children who don't know better cannot easily exchange private information.

Between KingsIsle’s commitment to maintaining a family friendly game and the increasing amount of players using the caps to talk around chat filters, it was deemed to be an appropriate action to remove the capitalization ability in the filtered chat. As long as you’re chatting appropriately and within the filters, there should be no issue with communications.

Thank you Professor Greyrose. But all I was asking for was to be able to use correct spelling and grammar. Also to use words that would better describe something, I'm not asking for us to say what ever we want. All I wanted was minor changes, thats all.

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
Delver
Feb 25, 2010
If it makes you feel any better, hardly anyone in the game ever uses correct spelling and punctuation. When you're trying to say something quickly, capitalization and punctuation are kind of hindrances, and most folks just let them fall by the wayside in an effort to type their conversations a little more quickly. I am guilty of it too. I use the word "yer" to mean "your" and "you're". I hardly ever capitalize anything anymore. I do find using "to", "too", and "two" interchangeably to be rather annoying, though. I don't even begin sentences with a capital letter.

Survivor
Jun 21, 2009
well apperently it's not enough because while playing celistia with my son i was very upset at the amount of swearing being done and when i approached them and asked them to stop it just got worst and what made me more upset was the fact that they were only level 18 and 20 and threatended me if i reported them and then followed us around jumping in on or fights and then fleeing leaving us to fight more than we should have. I agree that there should be level restrictions or at least restict them so that they can only fight if invited or on the persons friends list. I don't like reporting anyone and as an adult don't feel i should have to be disrespected and feel intimitadated into changing realms so that my sonn and i can enjoy the game. Even givin us an invite button that we could chose to either allow others to fight with us or limit people would be nice. I can't count how many times i have went to use my life minion and had someone jump in cancelling it out and then leave because the boss was to high a level or i had to spend time keeping them alive instead of fighting because they were to low a level but i will give them credit they stayed and fought and didn't leave me hanging.

Geographer
Feb 15, 2009

I agree. Although it is good to use correct grammar, the fact that people were using capital letters to request and explicit personal information, use foul, language, etc over rides that. One thing KingsIsle could do to allow proper grammar and do away with this terribleness, is to make it to where sentences will be automatically capitalized and punctuated.

Survivor
May 02, 2011

While I understand the need to protect children, I'm not sure I understand why certain things aren't allowed.

Why can we not use numbers? I don't see the problem with that. Why is this not allowed for over 13 or over 18 accounts? Why is it not even allowed between "true friends"? It's terribly annoying not being able to tell someone how much something cost, or how many creatures you still need to kill for a quest and so forth.

There are also many words not allowed that I simply don't understand why they aren't. Here's a few examples

well
baseball
ireland
swat (as in swat them like flies)

"well" is both an object in the game (the object of a couple of quests) and also a word common to various phrases. Seems silly for it not to be allowed. And baseball... a very popular game is banned as a word???

Please consider these changes. Some for everyone and some at least for us 18+ (I happen to be 43, and I enjoy this game more than WoW, if they'd had the castles and so forth I might still be playing. People have been asking Blizzard to add homes for toons for years, glad you guys did so.)

Defender
Jan 02, 2011

KI staff, you do realize that no matter how much you restrict text, the players find ways around it, correct?

Chat filters never work. Ever. Players just get creative with spelling. I talk to people every day that have restricted chat who have no problem coming up with ways to give out numbers, state where they live, and dodge all around the chat filters to cuss a blue streak, talk about religion and everything else you're trying to prevent.

The only thing you do with the chat filters is just annoy people. To paraphrase princess Leia, the more you tighten your grip, the more people will slip through the chat filters. And yet, by trying to police the game, you set yourself up for a lawsuit when your fences don't work. You'd be better advised to get rid of the filters and just put the responsibility of policing things squarely on the shoulders of the parents. Like public access TV does.

Administrator
We appreciate that our players want to make Wizard City the best it can be, and we've placed the tools in your hand to report players for inappropriate behavior.

We ask that you use the reporting feature to identify truly egregious behavior, such as creative profanity (swearing around the filters), solicitation of usernames/passwords, predatory threats, racist comments and other such actions as outlined in the Terms of Use.

community@wizard101.com