Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

DoTs

AuthorMessage
Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
A lot of villains cast DoT spells one after the other and it drives me nuts! I've had two, three (two from one villain and one from another villain), and even four (two from each villain) on me at once. DoT spells are hard enough as it is to recover from, but having multiple DoT spells on me at the same time is very frustrating and very difficult to come back from. This is usually prevalent in the lower level worlds (Wizard City and Krokotopia) where it's hard to survive this strategic attack, so what I'm asking is can you make this less prevalant in the lower level worlds and more prevalent in mid to higher level worlds?

Note: Let me clarify that I'm not looking for advice. The situation I've brought up is more of an annoyance to me than a full out roadblock in the progress of my wizards, and I just want to see if anyone else feels the same way. Not to sound rude, but I don't need help or advice; I'm not saying I'm a master strategist or anything, just saying I know what I'm doing. This has just been something on my mind for a couple of weeks that I wanted to ask in the Forum.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
Defender
Dec 04, 2010
Rather than trying to aim for healing spells, wizards at a young level should really focus on shields. If you are any school but Ice, focus on it. Try having only a few strong attacks, but be sure to have a few pixies or sprites in your hand. A few sprites can cancel out the effects of some DoT spells.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
Tom5194 wrote:
Rather than trying to aim for healing spells, wizards at a young level should really focus on shields. If you are any school but Ice, focus on it. Try having only a few strong attacks, but be sure to have a few pixies or sprites in your hand. A few sprites can cancel out the effects of some DoT spells.

I don't aim for healing spells. Also, how am I supposed to focus on shielding spells when some of my wizards can't shield themselves until a higher level? When I was playing on my Conjurer, I wasn't able to get Ether Shield until Lvl. 16 when a lot of the villains I had to fight were of a Spiritual school. Most of my wizards have secondary schools, none of that 'training in this school until that spell and training in that school until this spell', and I'm not gonna train in a different school just to get shields or waste money on treasure cards.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I usually match up a spirit school with an element school so I get at least get 5 different shields.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
tweetybird18428 wrote:
I usually match up a spirit school with an element school so I get at least get 5 different shields.

...so what are the people that don't supposed to do?

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
They can get shields as treasure cards or buy them with training points from Sabrina Greenstar. Also some of the pendants in Kroktopia have an ice, storm, or fire shield. Try the bazaar for different pendants also.

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
Also before going into a fight check your gear. Gear drops have residence to schools that you are fighting that you can wear. This means they don't hurt you as bad. It might not be your best possible gear but it might be the best for your situation. You might be constantly switching outfits but if it helps you win do what you must.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
Tom5194 wrote:

I don't aim for healing spells. Also, how am I supposed to focus on shielding spells when some of my wizards can't shield themselves until a higher level? When I was playing on my Conjurer, I wasn't able to get Ether Shield until Lvl. 16 when a lot of the villains I had to fight were of a Spiritual school. Most of my wizards have secondary schools, none of that 'training in this school until that spell and training in that school until this spell', and I'm not gonna train in a different school just to get shields or waste money on treasure cards.

For Conjurers, you get a golem minion at level 2. Particularly since it is 0 pips, use it like a shield. Cast it early (and often) while you build pips or heal and let it draw fire and take big hits for you while whittling down your enemies. By looking at it as an expendable distraction, I actually found it more effective than other school shields because it will draw the entire damage of a spell (often a big 2 or 3 pip spell) away from you vs. merely reducing it... all the while doing damage to the enemy. Sure, there may be a delay but its still quite effective. The key is to remember not to start hitting the enemies until you have built up enough pips because that will make them focus on you instead of your minion(s). At level 10, you can start training your minion toolkit from Tish'mah starting with the shield minion spell. I hope this helps.