Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP Strategy I don't undrstand

AuthorMessage
Squire
Mar 07, 2011
I am a Level 15 fire wizard and I love PvP. I win more than I lose, but I have much to learn. Today I experienced something I haven't seen and don't understand.

Three times in a row I played a Level 34 wizard(19 levels higher than me) and each time he fled in the first round. His record is 19-266, with a rating of 60. Can someone explain why they would do this? I'm sure there is some esoteric reason, but it is beyond me.

On the opposite spectrum I've played multiple Level 5 wizards (ten levels lower than me) who had a firezilla pet (or other high level pet) and killed me with it in very quick fashion. His record was 91-6.

Is this really a fun activity for people? Hovering at Level 5 for a hundred matches just so you can wipe out higher level wizards with your pet that was gained by another higher level wizard?

As a low level wizard, I guess I might use a high level pet in PvP, but I don't think I would be a rank predator and win tons of games just because of my pet. If I used the pet, I would level up my wizard too, so my advantage would not be so great as I leveled up. Winning a game with such an unfair advantage is certainly legal, but in my opinion, not very fun or challenging.

Thanks for letting me rant. And any info on why that one wizard is rating 60 would be enlightening.

Finnegan FireFlame (<-------not an ice wizard :D )

Defender
Jul 18, 2009
He's down ranking to get fast tickets, since you even get tickets for losing.

He'll probably rank by up fast and easy, although King's Isle did nerf the utility of ranking back up to slow it down.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
malt22 wrote:
I am a Level 15 fire wizard and I love PvP. I win more than I lose, but I have much to learn. Today I experienced something I haven't seen and don't understand.

Three times in a row I played a Level 34 wizard(19 levels higher than me) and each time he fled in the first round. His record is 19-266, with a rating of 60. Can someone explain why they would do this? I'm sure there is some esoteric reason, but it is beyond me.
I think the reason for this might be a little darker than highway see's it. Could be ranking down to team with someone giving the other wizard on his team (probably himself) easy marks in a group match. Your rank affects who you fight for example my level 10 fire warlord is now fighting level 39 wizards. I can predict this guy and whoever is on his team will be fighting low privates for a long time. Is this to cynical? Haha

malt22 wrote:
On the opposite spectrum I've played multiple Level 5 wizards (ten levels lower than me) who had a firezilla pet (or other high level pet) and killed me with it in very quick fashion. His record was 91-6.
this paragraph kind of confused me. There are many pets around that have strong attack cards that can be bought for gold, one example is the jade oni in the pet pavilion. The flamezilla was more than likely a gift card from best buy that can be purchased by anyone at any level and used in all parts of the game. Younfail to realize that when your 15 fights a level 5 you have many advantages; more health, more spell slots in regular and treasure decks, better gear and pips. But you complain about a pet with an attack card that you yourself can get? Listen to get a rank like you described is VERY tough at low level I know because I have one. You think fighting someone 29 levels ahead of you is easy at level 5 go make one and tell me how it works out. Remember for the one flamezilla card the level five has he fights balance at level 34 with four judgements loaded. Takes much skill

malt22 wrote:
Is this really a fun activity for people? Hovering at Level 5 for a hundred matches just so you can wipe out higher level wizards with your pet that was gained by another higher level wizard?
more of a challenge actually.

malt22 wrote:
As a low level wizard, I guess I might use a high level pet in PvP, but I don't think I would be a rank predator and win tons of games just because of my pet. If I used the pet, I would level up my wizard too, so my advantage would not be so great as I leveled up. Winning a game with such an unfair advantage is certainly legal, but in my opinion, not very fun or challenging.
from the sound of this post you have encountered and been beat by a low level, I can assure you much thought and planning was involved in their strategy. What was yours? See the thing about ranked pvp is that you're going to lose sometimes, it's the people that analyze their disadvantages and learn from their mistakes that become good at it. You have all the same tools (and more) available to you as you low level opponent you just fail to use them. That's the difference between good strategy and good luck.

malt22 wrote:
Thanks for letting me rant. And any info on why that one wizard is rating 60 would be enlightening.
you're not the only one that can spit out a rant.. Have fun in the arena

Finnegan FireFlame (<-------not an ice wizard :D )

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
hiway1999 wrote:
He's down ranking to get fast tickets, since you even get tickets for losing.

He'll probably rank by up fast and easy, although King's Isle did nerf the utility of ranking back up to slow it down.

But you don't get any tickets for fleeing

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
With a record of 19 wins and 266 losses, it is likely that person has multiple accounts. That particular wizard you faced is trying to get matched up with the person's other wizards. The match ups are more random with the more people are online. However, if the wizards are close in level and rank it is more likely they will be matched up. You may have been a speed bump in that person's other wizard getting an easy victory.

If you played the same wizard three times in a row, in the same session, you were probably playing in an off peak time. Conditions that support my theory above.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
Put simply, some people will do anything to win and/or get a rating.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
There was one person, who I asked why she was down ranking,she told me she wanted to try to get her rank down to 0! That was interesting.

As far as strategy goes, there is one wizard who, I'm sure there might be more, would 1v1 using two wizards. The opponent would be silent, but his other wizard would be on the side line constantly degrading and harassing you for how you play, and any other excuse that he could come up with. Just disgusting...