Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Stacking spells, how many are you allowed?

AuthorMessage
Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
The other day I got into a discussion with my younger brother, and he told me I could only stack two Amplifications at a time. I guess I had never thought about it, so I put it to the test. He was correct, you can only stack two, and the third or forth ones have no affect at all.

I know I could test fortification, but have no idea how to test Vengeance.

That leads me to my question, how many fortification or Vegeance can you stack, any know for sure?

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph LionHunter.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
Lion359 wrote:
The other day I got into a discussion with my younger brother, and he told me I could only stack two Amplifications at a time. I guess I had never thought about it, so I put it to the test. He was correct, you can only stack two, and the third or forth ones have no affect at all. I know I could test fortification, but have no idea how to test Vengeance. That leads me to my question, how many fortification or Vegeance can you stack, any know for sure? Thanks, Joe Joseph LionHunter.
your amplifications aren't stacking damage, you're just resetting the 4 turn counter. in the celestia section of the message boards, under 'new schools of magic - star magic', prospector zeke wrote, "auras are unique and different from other magic in that they can't be Stacked, broken, or dispelled." hope this info helps. -eli

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
The other day I got into a discussion with my younger brother, and he told me I could only stack two Amplifications at a time. I guess I had never thought about it, so I put it to the test. He was correct, you can only stack two, and the third or forth ones have no affect at all.

That leads me to my question, how many fortification or Vegeance can you stack, any know for sure?

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph LionHunter.

When you say amplifications, do you mean star spells?

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
Lion359 wrote:

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph LionHunter.

When you say amplifications, do you mean star spells?

gtarhannon,

Yes, the ring that you can put around you for 20% if you learn it or 25% if it's a treasure card. I did a test, and they appear to me to stack up to two, for a 40% hit increase. I did three and it made no difference. Give it a try, test with no amplify, then one ring and then two and then three. This is how I tested it, and it does seem to stack?

Thanks,
Joe,

Survivor
Feb 08, 2011
Wow. I happened across this post (while googling for info about stacking house items) and it caught my interest, since I recently learned Amplify, and I thought I might run some tests. I think it's slightly bugged.

I used my Drakerider Staff since it's got a nice 100 damage Scorch spell, and the Runewarden deck which can hold 5 copies of spells. Then I went to Cyclops Lane to beat up some Trolls and Cyclopes who wouldn't bring any fire resistances or anything to the experiments.

Amplify (which is a +15% to attack spells -- the fist icon -- for the learned spellbook version) will stack with itself, but only if you cast them in succession without interruption; once you end the chain, the total bonus will continue for the next 4 rounds.

I cast Amplify, Scorch (for 115 as expected), Amplify, and then Scorch (which got 115 again.) The next battle, I cast Amplify, Amplify again, and then a Scorch, and the Scorch hit for 132 damage!

100 * 1.15 * 1.15 = 132.25, so the two castings of Amplify did stack up multiplicatively (if it was additive -- the two +15% counted as +30% -- then the damage would have been 130.)

Breaking the series of Amplify castings with some other spell or a Pass ends the chain, and makes the next Amplify spell put you back to +15%. I cast Amplify, Amplify, Scorch (for 132), Amplify, and Scorch (for 115).

Finally, I cast Amplify, Amplify, Amplify, Amplify, Amplify (at this point, the first one would have worn out, if they were being kept track of individually), Passed for three more rounds so my Aura counter was down to 1, and cast the Scorch... for 201 damage: 100 * 1.15 * 1.15 * 1.15 * 1.15 * 1.15.

I am sending this in on a support ticket, as it seems like a bug. Though, spending 5 rounds doing essentially nothing (except building pips) for a +101% for the following 4 rounds seems like it might not be the most efficient use of your time. Until it is fixed, enjoy.

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
TerionKai wrote:
Wow. I happened across this post (while googling for info about stacking house items) and it caught my interest, since I recently learned Amplify, and I thought I might run some tests. I think it's slightly bugged. I used my Drakerider Staff since it's got a nice 100 damage Scorch spell, and the Runewarden deck which can hold 5 copies of spells. Then I went to Cyclops Lane to beat up some Trolls and Cyclopes who wouldn't bring any fire resistances or anything to the experiments. Amplify (which is a +15% to attack spells -- the fist icon -- for the learned spellbook version) will stack with itself, but only if you cast them in succession without interruption; once you end the chain, the total bonus will continue for the next 4 rounds. I cast Amplify, Scorch (for 115 as expected), Amplify, and then Scorch (which got 115 again.) The next battle, I cast Amplify, Amplify again, and then a Scorch, and the Scorch hit for 132 damage!
if it is bugged, then the bug fix may be to stop them from stacking at all, since they aren't supposed to stack (according to prospector zeke in the star school message board). maybe we're better off not mentioning it... -eli and crew