Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Shields acting weird

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 13, 2010
This doesnt exactly bother me, but i find it really wierd. I might have a life shield on, and a towershield on, which equels 130% resist. And then someone does a centaur on me, and it still hurts me with 70 damage

It should do 0 damage, if not heal you for the 30%

Any comments?

Jonathan DreamMask

59 life

Explorer
Jan 04, 2011
BlueJay1020 wrote:
This doesnt exactly bother me, but i find it really wierd. I might have a life shield on, and a towershield on, which equels 130% resist. And then someone does a centaur on me, and it still hurts me with 70 damage

Any comments?

Jonathan DreamMask

59 life

The Shields work multiplicatively not additively; so two 50% shields (different shields) will result in 75% total reduction instead of 100%. Think about it as two separate shields triggering one after another. If you deal 1000 death damage to an opponent and he has two 50% shields (tower + spirit, for example), your 1000 will be reduced to 500 by the Tower Shield, and then the remaining 500 damage will be further reduced to 250 by the Spirit Shield, thus resulting in a total of 75% reduction (1000 to 250).

This is a basic game design used by many many games because additive resist/evade/hitrate design allows far too much room for abuse as people could be immune to a lot of things by stacking certain equipment/item/skills.

Delver
Feb 16, 2010
The shields don't add up and take the total damage from the attack because the attack hits the shields one at a time. If the Centaur attack hits with 595 (max damage) the tower shield will take away 50% of that damage or roughly 297 damage. Then the life shield will take away 70% of the remaining damage resulting in damage to you of 89. It applies the resistance based on which shield it hits first, not the sum of both shields together.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
BlueJay1020 wrote:

Any comments?

Jonathan DreamMask

59 life

They are working properly. They are not additive. Think of it this way:

If the damage being done is 1000, the life shield removes 70% of it which 700 and leaves 300 damage. The tower shield removed 50% of that which is 150, leaving you with 150 damage, unless you have gear resistance to that. The combined effect of those two shields will leave only (1-70%) x (1-50%) damage, or .3 x .5 which is .15. Therefore the effect is (1-.15) or -85% of life damage. This is kind of a nerdy explanation, but I hope it helps.

Survivor
Jan 30, 2011
My understanding of the shields is that they aren't additive in the way you state. The original attack is reduced by the first shield and the remainder is then reduced by the second shield which results in a remainder. In this way the attack approaches zero but never gets there.