Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Balance + ?

AuthorMessage
Delver
Feb 23, 2009
Hey!

I just created a new Balance Wizard, and she just got her first training point.

Personally, I have no idea what secondary school would be best for a balance wizard.

Give me some help here? xD

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Survivor
Feb 17, 2011
Since you can get the spirit blades and traps for Niles I might suggest death perhaps. It doesn't heal as much as life does but you can attack and heal yourself at the same time and the blades and traps will help you do enough damage to make the spells worth while.

Its just a thought... I don't claim to be an expert.

Explorer
Oct 28, 2010
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

Personally, I have no idea what secondary school would be best for a balance wizard.

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

I suggest Death up to feint.

While there is no balance shield, very few things can boost a balance spell. As such, feint is one of the few universal traps.

Plus, death gives you non elemental attacks which helps when fighting balance mobs.

A. Darkweave
Legendary Sorcerer

Delver
Jul 04, 2010
Life is you like to play a supportive role with sprite's and satyrs (eventually). I went death because ghoul and banshee are helpful towards the start and you have generic boosts. Plus when you get feint, it'll be helpful in the long run. Specially in mooshu and dragon spyre, though I don't use feints in celestia.

Oh and, don't forget your tower shields from ice.

Explorer
May 13, 2010
Well Fancymay, I have a legendary sorcerer and I took three secondary schools. I got the ice stuff up to wyvern, the fire spells up to sunbird, and all the death spells. I also bought the crown gear in DS giving me the colossus and the helephant. I had very little trouble working my way through all the worlds cause by the time you are like lvl 30 you will have shields for all magics and be able to deal out death in four diffrent flavors. The other things I found helpful were troll ear pendant(gives 2 40% ups to life spells and works with the helping hands) Any gear /pet that gives healing spells. You can fill the sideboard of your deck with guiding light(same as the troll ear pendant spell 40% up to next life healing spell) and life spells to bend a fifth school to your will. You will also have enough training points when you get to celestia to buy the amplify and fortify spells. This combination allows you to serve up death to your opponents in the thousands in four diffrent varieties. These are just the combination that worked for me and my style of play but, I hope this helps

Explorer
Oct 01, 2010
I actually didn't use a training point until I got to Celestia as a Balance wizard. I was able to obtain all of them (besides the mutations) and it worked out fine.

Mastermind
Jul 26, 2009
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Probably either Death, Myth or Life. I wouldn't recommend an elemental school.

Defender
May 27, 2010
A good idea is to just use secondary schools for support, for example ice: you can train up to Tower then still have plenty of points for other stuff like: Death up to Feint, Sun Spells to enchant your cards to make them extra powerful, unless you have one of the new Amulets, it's not a good idea to use a secondary school for attacking, plus you can make your own school powerful by using the right gear and Deck set up, so don't use a secondary school for attacking, unless you can afford to craft some gear with boosts for that school and your own school and the Amulet to use it, since your Balance I will not recommend Reshuffle since you can just go ahead and get it, plus you can just use Spectral Blast for those pesky Balance Enemies

Survivor
Mar 28, 2011
I Am Lvl 22 Balance, I Spend All my TP On Life, Healing is One of the Most! Important Spells, Sure its not that Powerful but they have a 90% Chance of not Fizzling! If I HAD To Change, I OWUld Pick Either:
Storm or Fire, But Both have High Chances of Fizzling, My Full Suggestion Is:
Life

Historian
May 01, 2010
my friend doesnt have a second school, but death up to feint, and ice up to tower shield. and it seems to word for her pretty well

Survivor
Jan 21, 2011
i am a granmaster balance ad i use myth it actually is very good because it turns out it boosts on most balance creatures that your attacks would be weak against

Delver
Aug 10, 2009
Delver
Feb 23, 2009
I'm still having a hard time choosing, but I think I'll go with death. And maybe Ice, but only until I get up to the tower shield.

Thanks guys. (:

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Go for whatever you like. There is not best combination, but I'd say for your situation, Ice. Worked for my Bal. char.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
For, my Balance wizard, I did Ice through Tower, then Death through Feint, and then the Star spells and the Gargantuan spells. Now that the amulets are here, I might just focus on one school, plus the Astral schools.

Survivor
Mar 26, 2011
For balance I suggest myth all the way life to satyr and sun you can also add polymorph treant. This worked best for me I am grandmaster and I just got ra. Hope this helps anyone.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Hey Fancymay. I tried a few different things with my balance (now legendary) some of which I regret, and others I'm happy with. My advice would be to first train ice to tower shield so that you can obtain the one shield you're missing (against balance damage) and also so you can stack it with your other shields and weakness. Then I would train death to feint so that you can really up your hitting power with single targets (ie. Bosses). After that, I would recommend saving enough to get gargantuan (unless you prefer treasure versions) and the rest is going to be pretty flexible.

As a general rule, any spirit school is a good compliment to balance because it boosts on balance enemies and balance enemies don't typically use spirit shields until later in the game when you have spectral blast and hydra anyway. While myth can give you good hitting power and earthquake with a myth amulet is a very strategic option for a balance, (dealing with shields can be a real bummer since your blades and trap are generic) I personally don't see using 9 training points to get 1 spell (earthquake) and 2 additional spells (ether shield and minotaur) that I may use with anything approaching the term "frequency".

Like balance, the really good strategic spells for myth require you to be a myth. However, its not difficult to obtain earthquake, pierce, and shatter in treasure card form. By that same token, while life can give you lots of good healing options, you will get two rather powerful balance healing spells. I don't see using training points on the lower damage life spells in light of this fact, particularly when training death gives you at least 2 spells (depending on whether or not you stop at feint) that allow you to bypass spirit armor and heal while attacking. After all, Balance is uniquely suited to benefit from a secondary school when you consider it gets balance blade, bladestorm, hex, elemental blade, and spirit blade without spending any training points.

I hope this helps.

Survivor
Feb 14, 2010
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

i have a balance and death girl she works great for soloing which is exactly what i wanted her for. with the death feint and all other balance blades and traps you can kill easily :D

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I strongly advise you not to go with the "train in this school till this, and that school till that" method (sorry gtarhannon) because I tried that and it just did not go well. If I were to pick a school, I'd pick Death. Due to the Elemental spells Balance gets and Balance monsters' weakness to Spiritual schools, I think it's a good, balanced choice for a secondary school. Myth and even Life, contrary to popular belief, aren't very good secondary schools (believe me), so I'd stay away from them. If you're not a fan of Death, you could do what I did. I didn't really use my secondary much while I was leveling, and that's when I realized Sorcerers can really hold their own just with Balance magic. When Celestia came out, I bought back my training points and spent them on the Astral spells. So far, that's worked very well for me and I recommend this methed to any Sorcerer.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I didn't really use my secondary much while I was leveling, and that's when I realized Sorcerers can really hold their own just with Balance magic.

That is precisely why I recommend training "this till this" kinds of options. It is specifically for low pip/no pip spells to augment my primary school. I don't use any of my secondary school attack spells once I start getting very power pippy (except on one character where I happened to get a mastery amulet, but even with him its occasional) except under very rare circumstances. This rule applies for all my wizards. To each their own though... if its working for you that's really all that matters. I do think, however, that tower shield and feint are great and very complimentary additions to a balance wizard's arsenal.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

I don't know why, but Ice always worked for me.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
gtarhannon wrote:
That is precisely why I recommend training "this till this" kinds of options. It is specifically for low pip/no pip spells to augment my primary school. I don't use any of my secondary school attack spells once I start getting very power pippy (except on one character where I happened to get a mastery amulet, but even with him its occasional) except under very rare circumstances. This rule applies for all my wizards. To each their own though... if its working for you that's really all that matters. I do think, however, that tower shield and feint are great and very complimentary additions to a balance wizard's arsenal.

I guess it's just me; I'm very OCD when it comes to stuff like this. Doing that just seems so disorganized to me. I get your point, it's just Balance is strong on its own and doesn't really need Feint in my opinion. As for Tower Shield, I do have the amulet that offers the spell and I usually look for equipment that boosts Balance resistance.

Explorer
Mar 24, 2011
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Maybe you should try the three schools that make balance. Most likely fire would be good. Ice is weak and storm fizzles a ton
:P :P :P :P :P

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
AkihiroHattori5 wrote:
I guess it's just me; I'm very OCD when it comes to stuff like this. Doing that just seems so disorganized to me. I get your point, it's just Balance is strong on its own and doesn't really need Feint in my opinion. As for Tower Shield, I do have the amulet that offers the spell and I usually look for equipment that boosts Balance resistance.

Like I say... to each their own. Clearly, it isn't necessary... In fact, I've never found it necessary to train any secondary school at all for any of my wizards in order to complete the storyline. However, it does make your balance more robust and gives you more options. It can also lead to extremely quick boss kills. ;)

Survivor
Oct 29, 2010
fancymay wrote:
Hey!

**Elizabeth MistLeaf
*Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Hey! I'm a balance wiz too! I think the best second school is death, beacause on many moves, you get heath in return.
Caitlin Silverblade ( Adept Sorcerer )