Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

We're being stereotypical

AuthorMessage
Defender
Jun 21, 2009
Hi Wizard101 just so you know I am totally over this! Thank you for your opinions and I'm sorry about the blatant noobishness that was displayed there.

Cya in the Spiral,

Seth B.

Squire
Jan 21, 2010
This is the internet. Anybody can be anybody. You just can't tell by looking. One guy could be nice, then get on another wizard and be a total jerk.
There are worse things to be called.
What? should we make up other euphemisms? They would mean the same thing.
you could have people calling folks, "boards," or, "lakes."

Is the report valid it someone calls you a lake, or a tooth, or an annoying loop?

Historian
May 01, 2010
bome1 wrote:
after reading the posts about "noobs" i have realized we are just stereotyping low levels. some low levels are actually nice people just there are a few bad eggs. There is a difference between a "noob" and a low level. You can tell when the person is a noob when:
1. they say mean things to you to get you mad
2. they hop in your battle knowing that they will get cool stuff and you will protect them.
3. they just have you on their friends list so they can call on you for a dungeon.
4. they brag to their friends about stuff from merryweather
5. other cases of using
low levels (the nice people) should be let in as long as their polite (asking before porting, stuff like that.) Noobs should go.

and you are stereotyping the type of people you are talking about.
have you taken into account that there are nice people-legends- who are actually willing to help them.
1. you dont need to retort, you just need to walk away, ignore them, they will stop.
2. some people are willing to protect them, some people are willing to protect them, they may be trying to get the lower lvl some gold cause they cant gift them a mount, second best thing, right?
3.some people keep them on their list cause they know they will need help time and time again, helping cause thats who they are.
4.they get stuff from her, big whoop, does it really matter that they like the look? go on let them wear what they like, its not any of your concern. just leave it alone.
5. so you are just leaving that one alone?
letting some in and some out, i hate that, if one is allowed, all of them is allow, no exceptions. if one isnt allowed, i am not gonna make them sit and watch others go in freely.

also, are you saying if someone has most of these qualities, then they are a noob? if so, then your calling a bunch of people, a bunch of legends, noobs. why? i have some people on my lower lvl's character who i have solely to help me, if they are busy, i dont sweat it. i like to ask one of my friends to take me to cl cause i need the gold badly. i always wear stuff from merryweather, from ds and or cl. since i do those things does that make me a noob? hmmm? a legendary? if the answer is no, then does the circumstances really match up?
you cant group a cirtain type of people together and say they are something that most of them arent.

scot soulhammer legendary pyromancer
if used correctly, fire can consume any opponent

Adherent
Mar 18, 2009
bome1 wrote:
after reading the posts about "noobs" i have realized we are just stereotyping low levels. some low levels are actually nice people just there are a few bad eggs. There is a difference between a "noob" and a low level. You can tell when the person is a noob when:
2. they hop in your battle knowing that they will get cool stuff and you will protect them.
3. they just have you on their friends list so they can call on you for a dungeon.
5. other cases of using
low levels (the nice people) should be let in as long as their polite (asking before porting, stuff like that.) Noobs should go.

The term "noob" is a derogatory version of "newbie." It has nothing to do with low level mean players. It was coined, because when brand new characters operate in the same area as experienced players, the experienced players sometimes get frustrated at brand new player mistakes, especially if they affect their own gameplay (like kill stealing or other MMO social taboos). An experienced player that creates a brand new wizard is not a noob (or shouldn't be anyways), because they already know how to play the game. In Wizard 101 the term "noob" is frequently seen in the PvP arena, simply to aggravate their opponent. It has deteriorated into simple name calling. Since a lot of younger players play Wizard 101, real life school bullying tactics have found their way into this game. However, using the term incorrectly actually makes them look like the "noob."

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
i made a decision to leave a battle
if a lower level who wont help jumps in
and i let them die i wont protect them

Survivor
Jan 04, 2010
The word noob is used just because the people get into high lvl worlds doesnt seem right. they always have a reason weather to be with thier friend or to lvl up or to just explore. OK now every one stop having a low lvl non noob war vs high lvl people in DS and CL war and get a life. P.S. it gets to old be cause it was from the start fellow wizards should live high and low lvl in peace and if you want to keep fighting then walk away AND GET A LIFE.

Defender
Feb 28, 2010
Totally agree on this. What I am unsure of is why KI filters out all sorts of words from chat, but continues to allow this word to stay. The word "Noob" is now being used in an equivalent manner to that of a swear word. As you stated, it's used primarily to aggravate people now, so why allow it to stay. More people should contact KI to urge them to remove this word. I personally am sick of this word in the game.

KI, remove this word from chat!

kingurz wrote:

The term "noob" is a derogatory version of "newbie." It has nothing to do with low level mean players. It was coined, because when brand new characters operate in the same area as experienced players, the experienced players sometimes get frustrated at brand new player mistakes, especially if they affect their own gameplay (like kill stealing or other MMO social taboos). An experienced player that creates a brand new wizard is not a noob (or shouldn't be anyways), because they already know how to play the game. In Wizard 101 the term "noob" is frequently seen in the PvP arena, simply to aggravate their opponent. It has deteriorated into simple name calling. Since a lot of younger players play Wizard 101, real life school bullying tactics have found their way into this game. However, using the term incorrectly actually makes them look like the "noob."

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
Noob is NOT a derogatory term. It can be one, but it by itself is not. I call my lower level characters my noobs. I ask my friends if they need help on their noobs. I was a noob once. You were a noob once. NO ONE WASN'T A NOOB!

I don't understand why people get so upset over the use of the terms. Yes, lower level characters that jump into battles are annoying. However, not low level characters do that. When I was a noob, DS was the end world and much harder then it is now. I jumped into someones battle. I spent 10 minutes apologizing, and never did it again. Just tell them that they did wrong. Don't obsess about it. Don't complain, and complain and complain on the forums about people who do it. That just spawns people who tell people not to stereotype (cough, cough).

People are making a huge deal over nothing.

Delver
Feb 18, 2010
There is a difference between a "noob" and a low level. You can tell when the person is a noob when:
5. other cases of using

or if they purposely mess up your traps and stuff and report you for no reason.

Survivor
Jun 17, 2009
bome1 wrote:
5. other cases of using

Thank you so much for this post! See I'm level 33 Pyromancer even though I've been playing for 2 years now. (Is that a sad amount of Progress? ) Anyway I may be Lv. 33 but i still know how to take down a boss in DS I even get asked for help from my grandmaster/Legendary freinds. I hope I'm not bragging.

Alex ThunderFlame Magus Pyromancer

Survivor
Sep 20, 2008
Totally! Low levels aren't all bad. And anyways, weren't we all a low level at one point? We didn't call ourselves noobs then!

Explorer
Mar 19, 2009
kingurz wrote:
bome1 wrote:
5. other cases of using

This is true and it also upsets me! I'm often called "Noob" because I often have a new charectar. I for one, have been playing since 08. I am almost the farthest thing from a noob. With 5 legendaires and a level 17, I think "noob" is very rude and should be stopped!

Defender
Oct 05, 2010
bome1 wrote:
5. other cases of using

do you understand where the name noob is rooted? it is similar to NEWBie, meaning noob. noob is a rude name for anyone under marleybone, from what i see. you cant just change the definition. make a new word, call them annoying noob, call them battlejumpers, drop robbers, i dont know call them some made up word like bloobblahs, but you cant call them noobs.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
ibeamazing101 wrote:
bome1 wrote:
5. other cases of using

do you understand where the name noob is rooted? it is similar to NEWBie, meaning noob. noob is a rude name for anyone under marleybone, from what i see. you cant just change the definition. make a new word, call them annoying noob, call them battlejumpers, drop robbers, i dont know call them some made up word like bloobblahs, but you cant call them noobs.
Well that isn't how it's used, ibeamazing. If you're still trying to defend those malcontents that call them such and falsely report them, then you should stop because one day KI will help us put a stop to you.

Defender
Jun 21, 2009
slammer111 wrote:
bome1 wrote:
5. other cases of using

and you are stereotyping the type of people you are talking about.
have you taken into account that there are nice people-legends- who are actually willing to help them.
1. you dont need to retort, you just need to walk away, ignore them, they will stop.
2. some people are willing to protect them, some people are willing to protect them, they may be trying to get the lower lvl some gold cause they cant gift them a mount, second best thing, right?
3.some people keep them on their list cause they know they will need help time and time again, helping cause thats who they are.
4.they get stuff from her, big whoop, does it really matter that they like the look? go on let them wear what they like, its not any of your concern. just leave it alone.
5. so you are just leaving that one alone?
letting some in and some out, i hate that, if one is allowed, all of them is allow, no exceptions. if one isnt allowed, i am not gonna make them sit and watch others go in freely.

also, are you saying if someone has most of these qualities, then they are a noob? if so, then your calling a bunch of people, a bunch of legends, noobs. why? i have some people on my lower lvl's character who i have solely to help me, if they are busy, i dont sweat it. i like to ask one of my friends to take me to cl cause i need the gold badly. i always wear stuff from merryweather, from ds and or cl. since i do those things does that make me a noob? hmmm? a legendary? if the answer is no, then does the circumstances really match up?
you cant group a cirtain type of people together and say they are something that most of them arent.

scot soulhammer legendary pyromancer
if used correctly, fire can consume any opponent
Ok. First of all, there is a way you can check stats. Second of all, please don't be as rude nest time.

Survivor
Apr 30, 2011
I've actually seen most of this behavior in all levels of players, not just lower level ones. I've had legends jump in my battles without asking, just to get cool stuff. I've had legends add me, and then get mad when I don't immediately leave the battle I'm fighting to help them, and I've had legends say mean things to make me mad. It's true, you can't stereotype people just because of their level!
:P