Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical and how it has ruined pvp

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
So how the ranking system basically works is that based on your rank, they will find an opponent that would make it the most fair match for both. Right?
If this is true then can someone explain how i have been fighting legends that can critical in pvp since magus? I mean most of them arent very good ill admit, and i play very smart and treat every move like a chess move. But somehow they can still win even if i played perfectly. The reason, critical. I know a lot of people will say "just learn conviction", and i have. I am level 50 now and i keep 5 conviction in my deck. Usually i can manage to keep one on throughout the game. I thought conviction was put in the game so that us pvpers that cant critical would have defense against it. But sadly was only put there to trick us into wasting a training point. Most of the time, it will not block. Okay so i would like to know WHY? and HOW? WHY doesnt my only defense against critical work when i cant even critical, And HOW is that "the most fair match"? I wouldnt have posted this but when i lost to a legend storm who criticaled and stunned me with a storm lord when i had conviction up i had enough. What was my favorite part of the game has been ruined by sheer luck! Pvp has been turned into a game of chance now. No different then rolling some dice. I would like to see several changes made to the ranking system and pvp. And i know a lot of players that agree. I am just expressing my concern because i enjoy this game and dont want to see it go down the toilet. Thanks for reading :)

EDIT: If your a fellow pvper post how you feel about this. And if anyone has any suggestions as to how to better block critical would be very helpful aswell.

Adherent
May 20, 2010
You have a valid point, but so does the other side. The problem was that the best players and/or the ones who could buy/make the best equipment were winning a large share of their matches. While that's how it should be in a perfect world, it can discourage the other people from playing and thus from subscribing to the game. Critical gives the lesser players a better chance to win than they had before (although there are undoubtedly ways to deal with Critical), and that keeps them playing----and from KingsIsle's point of view, it keeps them as subscribers. It does add an element of chance into the game. The better players are still going to win more than their share of matches, but now the lesser players will win a bit more often, and more of them will stick around.

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
You are completely right. And i understand fully. Though i still wish to see something done to even out the disadvantages against us lower level players that have no desire for critical. Or maybe if it came down to it remove critical from pvp? idk

But as a former magus and master warlord it is a little frustrating being a captain grand now and not being able to rank any higher due to this. :(

Or maybe i am just not as good as i thought XD

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, while I agree, it is unfair of one person that can't critical or critical block to face a person of a higher level who can, I don't think removing criticals all together is the answer!

What KI could do, is one of 3 things!

1: Make it to where a level 49 can not face anyone higher than 50!
2: Make all gear have some sore of critical block score, even if it is low!
3: Make new Arena gear that gives critical chance and block! and even edit the exsisting gear to have it.

These are the main things that I can think of that could fix the problem, however, I don't know if anything will be done!

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
Pvp has been turned into a game of chance now. No different then rolling some dice.
Pvp has always been a game of chance, now they simply made the game more fair. If each school has needs an equal chance to win in pvp, and you find yourself losing more after an update, is it possible to assume criticals made the game more fair? Low levels should have trouble in pvp, if you dont like it level your character up. And although I completely agree that new pvp gear would be a nice addition to the game, I would not make is block more than 10% for all schools. As for your conviction troubles, that is really a serious case of bad luck, 90% block against a critical rate of maybe 15-25% has a 2.5% chance of occuring. I would say that conviction is a fair balance to the game.

This message is brought to you by Life magic, get a life!
5stepstoofar

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Well, while I agree, it is unfair of one person that can't critical or critical block to face a person of a higher level who can, I don't think removing criticals all together is the answer!

3: Make new Arena gear that gives critical chance and block! and even edit the exsisting gear to have it.

These are the main things that I can think of that could fix the problem, however, I don't know if anything will be done!

Great ideas!
And you made me think of another...
Maybe critical block talents for pets?

First thing i remembering reading about this game was "Deck construction becomes an art". What it should say is, "Deck construction becomes an art til you reach level 50, then turns into a wheel of fortune chance game!" lol.

Who knows if anything will ever be done, but i really hope KI reads this, and does something soon!

Survivor
Nov 24, 2010
5stepstoofar wrote:
Pvp has been turned into a game of chance now. No different then rolling some dice.
Pvp has always been a game of chance, now they simply made the game more fair. If each school has needs an equal chance to win in pvp, and you find yourself losing more after an update, is it possible to assume criticals made the game more fair? Low levels should have trouble in pvp, if you dont like it level your character up. And although I completely agree that new pvp gear would be a nice addition to the game, I would not make is block more than 10% for all schools. As for your conviction troubles, that is really a serious case of bad luck, 90% block against a critical rate of maybe 15-25% has a 2.5% chance of occuring. I would say that conviction is a fair balance to the game.

This message is brought to you by Life magic, get a life!
5stepstoofar

well you would be right about the math, but conviction isnt 90% critical block. It is just 90 critical block. And with all my non existent critical block gear it adds up 90 critical block in pvp as long as i have a conviction on! Yesterday i lost to legend storm that critical bolt through a conviction twice second time through a tower. That was her only two spells, and boom, the match was over. Now tell me if this is fair. I was first and played conviction, she used bolt and hit for a little over a thousand with my 50 resist to all. Second turn i tower and again she bolts and somehow kills me with it, THROUGH A TOWER AND CONVICTION! Idk if she enchanted it or what, but she did kill me in two turns. And as far as i can tell i did not make a single mistake. Still think conviction is a "fair balance to the game"? XD

You say low levels should have trouble in pvp. So your also saying legends should have it easy?
Idk bout you but i would say a lvl 36 vs a lvl 60 is pretty hard for that lvl 36, even without critical.

Survivor
Mar 14, 2009
unicornpanties wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Great ideas!
And you made me think of another...
Maybe critical block talents for pets?

First thing i remembering reading about this game was "Deck construction becomes an art". What it should say is, "Deck construction becomes an art til you reach level 50, then turns into a wheel of fortune chance game!" lol.

Who knows if anything will ever be done, but i really hope KI reads this, and does something soon!
" i'm sry but critical is simply AMAZING!, it doesnt ruin pvp as much as GARGANTUAN does because critical doesnt work ALL the time! but still, i'm going to have to disagree, critical should be allowed and it can still be sheilded from, and yea you can block a critical bu tnot a gargantuan, Sad right?" John RubySpear" lvl 60 Fire Pvp Captain" critical pwns now doubt"