Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Can your idea really be considered?

AuthorMessage
Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

I have perused the message boards and the forum over at central and I noticed that there are hundreds of posts suggesting an idea for something new in wizard101.

Some might suggest an idea for a new world, others might suggest an idea for new spells or gear or pets and the list goes on.

Some could be considered as good ideas and some... may cause you to raise the eye brows. These ideas don't really seem to go anywhere but still, they are posted in high volumes everyday.

Posters remain zealous and optimistic about catching the eye of Flamea or Greyrose, in the hopes that they might lend a listening ear to their idea. They often try to wrestle their way through the Chasm of futility, gasping at whatever vestiges of hope they can, in an effort to see that idea manifested in the game.

This question arose and seem quite plausible: Can your idea really be considered?
It seems like a rather simple question but is it? On the surface, the answer should be yes. And for its own expediency, KI would probably say, yes. So if the answer is yes, other questions may arise...

What is the criterion for getting an idea accepted or considered?
Is it:
a.) have to be widely accepted by the wiz101 community?
b.) depends on the number of views or comments?
c.) have to be creating a buzz over on central?
d.) something KI was already thinking about?
e.) very famous, and everyone is asking for this idea to be in game?

However, saying yes would put KI in a difficult position.

It could:

1. Ruin the element of surpise
2. Spark millions of players to start suggesting ideas
3. Create a possible conflict of interest
4. take away the mystery and anticipation that usually surrounds an update or expansion

If that is the case, then the answer would be no, since KI need to control information when a new world is being released. KI really can't put an information embargo on or bind the person submitting the idea to a confidentiality contract especially if the person resides outside of the jurisdiction where KI operates.

KI would have to rely on the person's integrity and trustworthyness which are qualities most people lack, in this present day and age. So this brings us back tothe question; Can your idea really be considered? I really don't think so unless it's posted in one of those feedback fridays disussions.

Maybe Ki could advise us or give us a guideline for submitting ideas that they may consider. Because if you are submitting an idea for, lets say, a new world. Just how much information should you provide? if you are too vague then people would not get what this world idea is about or have enough information to decide if they like it or not. On the other hand, if you tell all, then everyone knows what to expect and so the element of surprise in almost non-existent.

This does not mean that all hope is lost neither should it preclude you from submitting your idea. People should still continue to submit ideas and hold on to that vestige of hope, that maybe, just maybe, your idea will be in a future update or expansion.

While the arguments proffered in this thread, to a great extent, hinges on the dictates of conventional wisdom; please be guided by your own prevoyance when condsidering these matters.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NicoUzumaki wrote:

I have perused the message boards and the forum over at central and I noticed that there are hundreds of posts suggesting an idea for something new in wizard101.

Some might suggest an idea for a new world, others might suggest an idea for new spells or gear or pets and the list goes on.

Some could be considered as good ideas and some... may cause you to raise the eye brows. These ideas don't really seem to go anywhere but still, they are posted in high volumes everyday.

Posters remain zealous and optimistic about catching the eye of Flamea or Greyrose, in the hopes that they might lend a listening ear to their idea. They often try to wrestle their way through the Chasm of futility, gasping at whatever vestiges of hope they can, in an effort to see that idea manifested in the game.

This question arose and seem quite plausible: Can your idea really be considered?
It seems like a rather simple question but is it? On the surface, the answer should be yes. And for its own expediency, KI would probably say, yes. So if the answer is yes, other questions may arise...

What is the criterion for getting an idea accepted or considered?
Is it:
a.) have to be widely accepted by the wiz101 community?
b.) depends on the number of views or comments?
c.) have to be creating a buzz over on central?
d.) something KI was already thinking about?
e.) very famous, and everyone is asking for this idea to be in game?

However, saying yes would put KI in a difficult position.

It could:

1. Ruin the element of surpise
2. Spark millions of players to start suggesting ideas
3. Create a possible conflict of interest
4. take away the mystery and anticipation that usually surrounds an update or expansion

If that is the case, then the answer would be no, since KI need to control information when a new world is being released. KI really can't put an information embargo on or bind the person submitting the idea to a confidentiality contract especially if the person resides outside of the jurisdiction where KI operates.

KI would have to rely on the person's integrity and trustworthyness which are qualities most people lack, in this present day and age. So this brings us back tothe question; Can your idea really be considered? I really don't think so unless it's posted in one of those feedback fridays disussions.

Maybe Ki could advise us or give us a guideline for submitting ideas that they may consider. Because if you are submitting an idea for, lets say, a new world. Just how much information should you provide? if you are too vague then people would not get what this world idea is about or have enough information to decide if they like it or not. On the other hand, if you tell all, then everyone knows what to expect and so the element of surprise in almost non-existent.

This does not mean that all hope is lost neither should it preclude you from submitting your idea. People should still continue to submit ideas and hold on to that vestige of hope, that maybe, just maybe, your idea will be in a future update or expansion.

While the arguments proffered in this thread, to a great extent, hinges on the dictates of conventional wisdom; please be guided by your own prevoyance when condsidering these matters.

Nico, you have posed several good points in this posting.

You are right that it would be impossible for KI to come right out and say yes to any idea posted. And just for the reasons you have already stated.

If they come right out and say yes to an idea that has been posted then the element of surprise is gone. But that does not mean they can't or won't use someones idea as long as they can keep it underwraps until they are ready to release it.

Even if KI does use a new world idea such as the one you have posted or anyone elses, they won't even let that person know they are even considering it.

But here is another thought. Even if an idea does not make it for the current storyline regarding Morganthe, there is nothing saying that it can't be used for the next set of worlds to come. If there is a good solid base for a new world, then I don't think it would take too much for it to be slightly altered to fit the next one.

An idea that someone posts may show up several worlds away, and in that case, the element of surprise is going to be there.

The story of Morganthe has just started. Who knows besides KI where it is going to lead.

Remember, all of the ideas as well as posts go through moderators, so at least someone employeed by KI is reading them.

Fallon WinterLeaf

Delver
Dec 06, 2009
Hopefully they can. I have spent a lot of time on those spells, and you have spent a lot of time on your new world. Kingsisle Doesn't consider things as tenderly as one would think. If a ton of wizards on the game say they love the idea, then they will probably consider it. It's a difficult process for them to go through, and I praise them (sometimes) for their courtesy in the Forums.

But the overall point is to keep on posting until you get their attention :D

- Oran Titanrider, Grandmaster Thaumaturge

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

Well (this is a censored word you know lol), These are just my thoughts on the subject matter. I was looking at the many posts for ideas of this and that and I sought to be rational about the whole thing.

I know they read the posts, at least the ones on here, since they are moderated. So that's not the conflict or problem that I foresee.

it all boils down to can they really use these ideas. And when I say ideas, I'm not talking about something that should be fixed or trivial stuff like chain stunning and reagent in shared bank. I'm talking about new content that would be a major update or expansion.

I wasn't referring to any one idea or suggestion in particular, I was just trying to look at the big picture. KI working with a fan to launch a new world lol, don't see that happening.

I think the whole point is information. They have to control information.

Look at wintertusk for example, many of us are dying to know what wintertusk is like but we can't know until KI releases the information at their leisure.

What if it was say someone from Australia that proposed the idea of Wintertusk to them? How could they control that information? Could they have absolute confidence in the person to hold it confidential?

I mean they have power over their employees by virtue of a confidentiality clause but for someone outside of their reach of control, how do they monitor that person?

Can you see the conflict that may arise here?

So its not that I am saying KI doesn't listen. They do but can they make your idea a reality?

maybe they could but you won't get credit for it and so what would be the point anyways.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
I have seen some ideas actually adopted. There was the Friday Feedback when Falmea asked "What new pet would you like to have?" (not a direct quote but close enough for my purposes). MANY folks made suggestions, my self included. Some folks suggested "pet rocks". You know what happened with that. And I love my pet rock, by the way. There was the time when they asked what character we would love to morph into. We all made suggestions, and for Halloween, we got to be a Treant and/or Ninja Pig. We also got Ninja costumes from what's-his-name, the scary dude by the fountain.
There are other examples. I know there are. But those are the most obvious.

Survivor
Aug 12, 2010
I think infield should give us credit idk a badge or crowns or something special or you might get a exclusive house idk but if kingisle likes your idea and puts it in the game we should get sone proof we did it not just say you made those ideas and let people luagh

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NicoUzumaki wrote:

Well (this is a censored word you know lol), These are just my thoughts on the subject matter. I was looking at the many posts for ideas of this and that and I sought to be rational about the whole thing.

I know they read the posts, at least the ones on here, since they are moderated. So that's not the conflict or problem that I foresee.

it all boils down to can they really use these ideas. And when I say ideas, I'm not talking about something that should be fixed or trivial stuff like chain stunning and reagent in shared bank. I'm talking about new content that would be a major update or expansion.

I wasn't referring to any one idea or suggestion in particular, I was just trying to look at the big picture. KI working with a fan to launch a new world lol, don't see that happening.

I think the whole point is information. They have to control information.

Look at wintertusk for example, many of us are dying to know what wintertusk is like but we can't know until KI releases the information at their leisure.

What if it was say someone from Australia that proposed the idea of Wintertusk to them? How could they control that information? Could they have absolute confidence in the person to hold it confidential?

I mean they have power over their employees by virtue of a confidentiality clause but for someone outside of their reach of control, how do they monitor that person?

Can you see the conflict that may arise here?

So its not that I am saying KI doesn't listen. They do but can they make your idea a reality?

maybe they could but you won't get credit for it and so what would be the point anyways.

I understand your feelings Nico.

Even if KI does use a new world Idea, they are going to see where that world is going to come to and end before doing much of anything. Who knows, they may already be looking at one that has been posted here and possible working out the details.

But as for public recognition, that may never happen.

But the author will have one very big surprise and a few others too if they happen to read the storylines that players post. And that is this. """"""If your world idea makes it into the game, guess who is going to be the first to recognize it when it goes to test or live?"""""" Especially if they use the world name that was posted here.

Wouldn't that moment of seeing your idea actually in play be a moment that you would want to be able to savor all to yourself?

The only others that may recognize it, are going to be your close friends that have followed it all the way through. They will be congratulating you and happy for you that it was used.

Fallon WinterLeaf :D

Hero
Jul 27, 2009
there is the legal thing to think about.

to allow KI to use the idea as you present it you have to sign off of it.

giving KI full right to the idea.

then you might see it in the game as you presented it.

but you can not take credit for it

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
Wow! I almost forgot about this thread. Was too busy preparing for my exam. Anyways, I guess I should respond to the posts one here.

@IvoryJade, I have heard that the pet rock was suggested by a player(s) on the message boards and that’s awesome. It was a brilliant idea for an April Fool’s joke but if that person were to say oh I suggested the pet rock, we’d all laugh in his/her face. Of course we wouldn’t believe that they were the actual person who suggested. Granted the pet rock is not a major update or anything but it created quite a buzz around the spiral. I’m sure the person would love to say that was my idea or hear KI say one of our very own members came up with this idea. Just like how they have the biggest fan and 1 millionth player, etc. it’s not like we are hoping for monetary gain from these ideas, we just want the recognition.

And like Jibtherandom said, maybe a badge in game to say ok this person is the pet rock inventor or maybe a custom sticker on your message board profile lol.

Fallon, you know, Abraham Maslow, sought to understand human behavior and he came up with this behavioral theory that we call “Maslow Hierarchy of Needs,” and he looked at human behavior as influenced by their needs. These needs, he argues, falls into a hierarchy. Now, I say this to say that, we are motivated to do things because we expect a certain outcome.

While it would gladden the heart to know that something that you have thought of is brought into reality, it would be a terrible fate if no one knew that thing came about because of your ingenuity. Just imagine if J.K.R. had written Harry Potter and now its world famous but no one knew she was the one who did it. How you think it would have felt for her to know that she thought of it all but is not recognized for it?

You know everyday, we recycle peoples’ ideas and we have to give credit to the original inventor. For example, even today, Henry Fayal is regarded as the classical authority on management even though there have been several theories that have build on Fayol’s classification of management and its functions.

@Hobi signing over privilege is not big deal. People making suggestions don’t really expect to get pay for their idea lol. They just wanna know that they suggested a pet rock and KI put a pet rock in the game. That’s reward enough.

Delver
Feb 25, 2010
But see, that's why they do the polls and questions and opinion posts. If enough people want the same thing, no ONE person can take credit for it or come back later and say "hey that was MY idea". It's just an idea that enough players wanted.

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NicoUzumaki wrote:
Wow! I almost forgot about this thread. Was too busy preparing for my exam. Anyways, I guess I should respond to the posts one here.

@IvoryJade, I have heard that the pet rock was suggested by a player(s) on the message boards and that’s awesome. It was a brilliant idea for an April Fool’s joke but if that person were to say oh I suggested the pet rock, we’d all laugh in his/her face. Of course we wouldn’t believe that they were the actual person who suggested. Granted the pet rock is not a major update or anything but it created quite a buzz around the spiral. I’m sure the person would love to say that was my idea or hear KI say one of our very own members came up with this idea. Just like how they have the biggest fan and 1 millionth player, etc. it’s not like we are hoping for monetary gain from these ideas, we just want the recognition.

And like Jibtherandom said, maybe a badge in game to say ok this person is the pet rock inventor or maybe a custom sticker on your message board profile lol.

Fallon, you know, Abraham Maslow, sought to understand human behavior and he came up with this behavioral theory that we call “Maslow Hierarchy of Needs,” and he looked at human behavior as influenced by their needs. These needs, he argues, falls into a hierarchy. Now, I say this to say that, we are motivated to do things because we expect a certain outcome.

While it would gladden the heart to know that something that you have thought of is brought into reality, it would be a terrible fate if no one knew that thing came about because of your ingenuity. Just imagine if J.K.R. had written Harry Potter and now its world famous but no one knew she was the one who did it. How you think it would have felt for her to know that she thought of it all but is not recognized for it?

You know everyday, we recycle peoples’ ideas and we have to give credit to the original inventor. For example, even today, Henry Fayal is regarded as the classical authority on management even though there have been several theories that have build on Fayol’s classification of management and its functions.

@Hobi signing over privilege is not big deal. People making suggestions don’t really expect to get pay for their idea lol. They just wanna know that they suggested a pet rock and KI put a pet rock in the game. That’s reward enough.

I can understand your point of view very well Nico.

lol I am just one of those that just seeing something accomplished is enough reward. But I do understand where a person would like to be able to take credit for something they helped bring about especially when they have really laid the groundwork for it.

I wish you all the best in what you are trying to achieve.

Fallon

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Well, in my humble opinion, I don't think they will exactly use someones ideas, but they might use the gist or base of an idea and expand on it or enhance it, or change it.

I do not think KI will go as far as contact that person for elaborate details, but as far as spell ideas, pets, worlds, bosses, anything really, they will take in what is said and revamp it to fit their image and what is needed at the time.

Just my thoughts

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
darthjt wrote:
Well, in my humble opinion, I don't think they will exactly use someones ideas, but they might use the gist or base of an idea and expand on it or enhance it, or change it.

I do not think KI will go as far as contact that person for elaborate details, but as far as spell ideas, pets, worlds, bosses, anything really, they will take in what is said and revamp it to fit their image and what is needed at the time.

Just my thoughts

This is my 300th post! What am I now, a magus?

Anyways, gotta say I totally agree with you darthjt. Good to see ya on the message boards, haven't seen ya since that PvP bout with us and Mordikay. There is a little stint going on over on central about ice being over powered, ya might wanna check it out and lend ya two cents, whether you agree or disagree.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
NicoUzumaki wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Just my thoughts

This is my 300th post! What am I now, a magus?

Anyways, gotta say I totally agree with you darthjt. Good to see ya on the message boards, haven't seen ya since that PvP bout with us and Mordikay. There is a little stint going on over on central about ice being over powered, ya might wanna check it out and lend ya two cents, whether you agree or disagree.

I have not gone anywhere NicoUzumaki, been here posting in PvP and a few other places! I might have to check out the little stint, I love how people don't factor in everything when they talk about ice! Ice is exactly where ice should be, people are just jealous because Ice does not have to use arena gear! So, that is the real complain, that arena gear has not been updated! Because if you honestly can't find a way to beat ice, you honestly shouldn't be playing PvP anyway!

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

well since this is not the forum for it, I'll give ya da link to save you the trouble of sifting through the flotsam and jetsam

central: http://www.wizard101central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126872&goto=newpost

These people come up with all sorts of analysis and interpretation like they work for KI lol

I probably should created a new clan over on central called the complaint clan lol just a place to rant about anything ya think aint right in wizard101

OH am adept not magus, oh well (wait, "well" is still censored!)

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Personally, I didn't find any posts worth replying to! Most of the complaints are because Arena Gear is so outdated.

Most posts stated their opinion that Ice is overpowered or is not overpowered, but nobody really gave any good statistical evidence showing how Ice is overpowered! A couple people even went as far as to say, because a few have gotten a 30 win 0 loss record, that proves Ice is overpowered!

Some have stated the differences between Grand Gear and Legendary Gear and the changes in Resists from one to another, yet they failed to mention criticals, to which resistance will play a huge part against critical attacks!

People will always say and show things one sided, to show that their point of view is correct, however, when you look at the picture as a whole, it proves just how balanced the game and each school is! There is no way around facts, figures, and statistics. Are there slight differences? Of course, no school is alike and the only way to exactly balance each school is for them to all have the exact same stats, and exact same damage, sure, you can change the spell and say one is ice one is fire, but they will do the exact same damage, that is the only way to truly balance all schools, but to do this, would be to take all the fun out of the different schools!

Anyway, this is completely off topic.

Have you read my idea about New Advanced Criticals? I think that could help add balance and even make the game a lot more interesting with regards to criticals. It is in the dorm section!

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009

Tell that to the zealots over on central lol. I try to be rational but who listens.

Anyways haven't seen ya post yet i'll search for it

Oh, is the game back up? cause i don't see the warning.....