Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Chance Problem

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 30, 2010
I love being able to do critical spells, and I love the Aura that increases your critical chance. When I have on all my critical gear and am using this spell, I have a 103% critical chance for all of my school spells (Balance). Yet, I actually critical on my school spells very rarely like this. Isn't that defying the laws of statistics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that if something has a 100% chance of happening, that means it will happen every time. Isn't that why companies advertise their products as being 99.99% effective--because they don't always work? I am fine with not being able to make it so that I critical every time, but if that's the case then it should be impossible for us to get critical chances that are 100% or above. Please fix this, KI!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
lyddie14 wrote:
I love being able to do critical spells, and I love the Aura that increases your critical chance. When I have on all my critical gear and am using this spell, I have a 103% critical chance for all of my school spells (Balance). Yet, I actually critical on my school spells very rarely like this. Isn't that defying the laws of statistics? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that if something has a 100% chance of happening, that means it will happen every time. Isn't that why companies advertise their products as being 99.99% effective--because they don't always work? I am fine with not being able to make it so that I critical every time, but if that's the case then it should be impossible for us to get critical chances that are 100% or above. Please fix this, KI!

Actually, you have 103 critical chance points, no percentage!

103 critical points out of 500 gives you roughly 21% chance!

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is how the criticals work! You can check your character information page, go to your critical points and it will show you the actual percentage you have!

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Question to darthj,

By what math or other evidence did you arrive at the maximum of 500 critical rating?

To the OP, I have 160'ish critical rating and hit critical about 30% of the time.

Thx,

qbbean

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
If you wand over your crit rating, it will give you your crit %, which is 1/5 of your crit rating. A 150 is therefore 30%.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
queenlybluebean wrote:
Question to darthj,

By what math or other evidence did you arrive at the maximum of 500 critical rating?

To the OP, I have 160'ish critical rating and hit critical about 30% of the time.

Thx,

qbbean

Actually, I read about it in a post from when criticals first started. I wish i could give credit to the person who informed me of it.

Anyway, I have tested each piece of equipment and when you round to the nearest figure, you get what is generally stated. When you take the whole number, such as 150 or 160, you will be off slightly percentage wise, because each piece is rounded up and then added together.

To find the percentage, take the number and divide it by the points possible and then round if necessary!

Hits = 500 possible
Blocks = 400 possible

I really wish i could give credit to the person that figured this out, but it does check out!

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Okay, after doing some research, CorbinW was the original founder of the critical hit points number!

My hat is off to you CorbinW, thank you for providing me with this information!

Survivor
Nov 30, 2010
Thank you for clarifying, I understand now! It makes sense the way you explained it, but I can honestly say that I wouldn't have ever figured it out on my own in-game. Most of the people I've met in-game have been just as confused as I was, which means there still is a problem! Maybe KI could change it so that instead of having to mouse over our "rating" to see our actual percentage, our actual percentage could be displayed the same way it is for our Resistance, Damage, and Accuracy percentages. Much less confusing, in my opinion!