Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PvP suggestion

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jan 26, 2009
Instead of using a players pvp rank for assigning matches we should use a bracket system by lvl.
For example: 1-10 bracket,11-20 bracket, 21-30 bracket etc.
This would stop the "Im playing against a guy 20 lvls higher than me" incidents I believe. Plus you would have multiple winners at the end of a season...one per bracket.
Just my two cents.

Survivor
Dec 15, 2008
I say that if PvP is going to hurt another human player in any way then it should be scrapped and rethought.

Frankly, I just have a moral thing about hurting someone that is not a NPC.

Squire
Dec 02, 2008
Other games have tried that, and it doesn't balance things. If you're level 23, for example, you'd just end up fighting a level 30 twink with a bunch of crown gear, and have no more chance than against a random level 43.

The only way to balance pvp is to let everyone get to maximum power (level cap with perfect gear) quickly, and then fight after that. Anything less than that, in trying to say, well, the imbalance isn't that bad, still leaves the imbalance game-breakingly bad so that the game can't have any semblance of decent pvp.

Incidentally, Wizard101 does let get to maximum power a lot more quickly than most other MMORPGs.

Administrator
Players are not hurt in Wizard101. They are defeated just like you were playing a regular game of cards.

It doesn't hurt when someone wins a game of Hearts does it?

If you still don't like the idea of Player vs Player combat, it is definitely optional and you do not need to participate in it, in order to advance in Wizard101.

HeavyDutyToo wrote:
I say that if PvP is going to hurt another human player in any way then it should be scrapped and rethought.

community@wizard101.com
Defender
Sep 22, 2008
I think you should start tournaments in ranked PvP. You could send messages to players and the prizes could be a certain amount of tickets. Think about it.

Administrator
We tested wagering in the Player vs Player system and we have decided that any form of wagering will not be implemented.

community@wizard101.com
Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
The ranked system should eventually start to work out. If the seasons are long enough and everyone keeps at it, it SHOULD balance out, so that you're fighting people at your same relative ability level.

Going strictly by level does have the problem of twinks. As an adult gamer I have the extra funds IRL to be all twinked out with crown gear, and it honestly does make a difference. Wizard 8-9 levels above me are still a relatively even battle, though their access to higher level spells usually gives them an edge that can't simply be made up by a few more hit points and a few % more of resists. But I can at least feel like I am in the fight, until they one-two shot me. :)

For now I plan on continuing my leveling.

Since the ranking system is universal and all players are in the same pool it makes sense to have the ranked play go accross all levels.

Granted if you could break the rankings up by divisions that would be nice. So have seperate rankings for 1-25 then 25-50 or some other break down.

Survivor
Feb 16, 2009
Just a suggestion, I do not know how many others are running into this. But, some sort of fix needs to be added so that players who queue up for PvP, then go AFK and do not respond to a match alert need to be automatically bounced from PvP queues. I have been running into this more and more especially in the Ranked matches.

Explorer
Feb 09, 2009
PvP Fix for you all to chew on.

PvP Rank starts at 100 rather than 500 and goes up every tenth level you gain.

So Starting PvP Rank at
Level 1-9 = 100
Level 10-19 = 200
Level 20-29 = 300
Level 30-39 = 400
Level 40-49 = 500
Level 50 = 600

Every tenth level you go up you gain 100 points to your current PvP rank. Then have the auto matcher search for folks at +/- 90 points from you.

This makes a natural buffer between the levels. And keeps level 5's from being matched up against level 50's.

At the same time it let's people preserve the impact of their previous matches. If you were a dominate PvPer at level 5 and got to 170 then you'll maintain that positive rank when you get to level 10 and it bumps you to 270. But being at the bottom of the new pool of fish you'll be pushed into a more natural rank as you are now fighting people at a higher level than before.

This is much better than having everyone start at 500 regardless of level. Folks do not have the patience to wait months on end for the natural peking order to work its way out. They'll quit trying long before it works itself out.

Defender
Feb 18, 2009
ProfessorGreyrose wrote:
Players are not hurt in Wizard101. They are defeated just like you were playing a regular game of cards.

It doesn't hurt when someone wins a game of Hearts does it?

If you still don't like the idea of Player vs Player combat, it is definitely optional and you do not need to participate in it, in order to advance in Wizard101.

HeavyDutyToo wrote:

Well spoken Professor, I have to agree. For one, it's a game. Two if you don't like to play against "humans", don't play the PVP. Third, what about the helpless creatures being forced to fight when they don't want too (Ex: Manders in Kroktopia), I don't see you complaining about that!!

Hunter SilverHeart