Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

PVP Strategy

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 11, 2009
I don't mean to boast, but I believe I have created an effective guide to defeating players in PVP and getting those ranks up...

*Before starting to battle, you must prepare for it. Make sure you have a good arrangement of cards; try using a 3:2 ratio with 0-2 rank spells, since you will always have a good card to play instead of passing.

*Use any healing spell you have at maximum quantity. You will then always have one in each turn. You never know what move the opponents will do next.

*Know the spell Reshuffle? If you do, get it. You'll never know how long a battle will last. This ESPECIALLY goes for newer wizards.

*Wear an effective balance of gear. Make sure you cover each statistic, no matter how little you can. Without any glaring weaknesses, the enemy will hesistate in making their choice of attack.

*ALWAYS start the first turn with an incoming spell. If you attack, it will be a showing of indecisiveness, and they will target you first. I know this first-hand.

*Play minions if their is room. Since they are the weakest, you can use them as a decoy in order to prepare for an attack on either side. When every one else on your team doesn't have to worry about protection, they can unleash a high-rank attack.

*Try to NOT use low-rank spells, unless that's all you have. If you sheild and blade yourself, a better spell will cause devestation. While the enemy recovers, you can already start getting ready for another.

*Don't use the same spell every time. If they discover your certain tactics, you won't do much damage.

*If one player on your team is a lot weaker, give them the most protection. There is strength in numbers. If one opponent is a lot weaker than the rest, destroy them first. They will either have a disadvantage in numbers or waste time healing them.

*Shield yourself more than any other rank 0 spell. Defense is an offense in itself.

*This may not work out too well, but try to be on a team where no two players have the same school. Different elements can allow you to seperately target specific rivals, and take each one.

*Only have one person attack, then everyone else defend them. If you all attack at once or sheild all at once, the enemy can find a rhythm, and know what spell to use and when.

*Don't flee. You lose mana, just like in a regular battle.

I guess that is all I have to say. I hope you learn a thing or two from this, and succeed in the Arena. Good luck!

Connor Raveneyes
Master Thaurmatage

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Historian
May 01, 2010
Solstice64 wrote:
May I ask what rank you are for I disagree with many of the things you said...

same here

i dissagree mostly with tip#9, i know first hand that you need to take out the people who can kill you, how i know? try a 1v3 at the MFP, my partner fled before the battle started... you need to kill the strangest one first, because when your wasting your time on the lower lvl, he is building up to kill you, it is that simple. and then you dont need to worry about mana or boosts to other schools cause they are usless in pvp

btw a 3:2 ratio is kinda bad, passing isnt bad, and that is taking up valuable deck space that you will need for other, strategic spells.

also, you wont have a heal every turn if you have 4-5 in your deck.

in my xp in pvp (i have xp losing and winning) i have never seen someone attacks you more cause you attack on the first turn.

i have a question for the shielding tip, i am spamming fire elves shields dont work, what will you do! you equip your deck full of shields and you cant find attacks when you need them! and this is waht you do after you flee, you go to the fairgrounds and fill up your flask.

the only one i agree with is the reshuffle

and for petes sake you just make yourself look like an egomainiac by saying "i dont mean to boast, but i think i havecreated an effective guide to defeating players in PVP and getting those ranks up... "

this is the biggest tip to pvp,

creat your own unique strategy, dont steal others, if you have an unigue strategy, your oppoment will not know what to expect, if you win, reflect, see what you did wrong, if you lose do the same thing, untill you get a great pvp strategy that is unique.

and if you follow "pvp trends" like spamming towers, the oppoment will know what to expect.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
*This may not work out too well, but try to be on a team where no two players have the same school. Different elements can allow you to seperately target specific rivals, and take each one. "

You're overlooking some benefits of having two or more like school wizards on one team. Here are some examples in a two vs two situation.
1) wizards have the same blades and traps so if they both focus their boosts on one then can obtain a hard hit much quicker
2) setting a damage bubble increases the damage of both wizards on the team essentially making them stronger in a like situation with a mixed school team.
3) with one wizard fully bladed the other can cast a low level spell to eliminate the school specific shield opening a window for attack.
4) both wizards are experienced in the same school so they can compare strategies as well as give eachother tips and advice.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
" any healing spell you have at maximum quantity. You will then always have one in each turn. You never know what move the opponents will do next. "

I would not recommend this in a legendary deck. The amount of healing is relative to resistance and health and the amount of heals you load should reflect your fighting style, for example a death wizard with crafted split life gear has great damage and critical but has no resist so they depend on healing more than a wizard with better resist. Loading 10 heal cards in your legendary deck is overkill and can get you in trouble taking the place of other important cards. It's hard to run out of heals when everybody can reshuffle them back into the deck when needed. As far as getting one when you need it the side deck is the better choice, a few heals in there will do the trick.

Squire
Jan 05, 2010
chemistry5 wrote:
*Play minions if their is room. Since they are the weakest, you can use them as a decoy in order to prepare for an attack on either side. When every one else on your team doesn't have to worry about protection, they can unleash a high-rank attack.

never assume your opponent will follow any set pattern of attack. I agree that casting minions is a good idea but the whole point of pvp is to stay alive. Always stay shielded and prepared for an attack no matter what the circumstances are. 

chemistry5 wrote:
*Try to NOT use low-rank spells, unless that's all you have. If you sheild and  :? blade yourself, a better spell will cause devestation. While the enemy recovers, you can already start getting ready for another. 
here's an example of a low pip spell being strategically used in battle. Fire elves can be converted into storm or ice elves, a fire player can bust towers keep their blades by firing one off and setup for the attack. There are many low rank spells like link that are very useful in pvp. even a rank 1 spell is an effective school shield breaker when using an off school wand.

chemistry5 wrote:
*If one player on your team is a lot weaker, give them the most protection. There is strength in numbers. If one opponent is a lot weaker than the rest, destroy them first. They will either have a disadvantage in numbers or waste time healing them.
I am a solo player and don't team much but I imagine that the healer on the team should be targeted first, and the one that should be preserved in a match. 
chemistry5 wrote:
*Shield yourself more than any other rank 0 spell. Defense is an offense
depends what school you are fighting. ice can steal your shields and myth has double attacks, in these situations weakness can be more effective and equally important. Infection and accuracy reducing spells are great pvp tools as well.

chemistry5 wrote:

I guess that is all I have to say. I hope you learn a thing or two from this, and succeed in the Arena. Good luck!

Connor Raveneyes
Master Thaurmatage

Sry if it sounds like I'm picking your post apart. it is not my intention to be rude but to show you how some of your points could use a little polishing. These techniques may very well work for you but take what I said into consideration.