Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

How does anyone rank up in PvP?

AuthorMessage
Defender
Oct 31, 2009
I have battled in 150 and I'm still a private with a rating of 473. Most I've ever gained from winning a match is 14 but when I loose I've lost as much as 23. My record is 63 and 89.

I had a bout of good luck with a winning streak that got me faced up against lvl 30-50 and I was able to earn sgt. Normally I'm faced off against 60s in fact the last match where I lost 18 points was against a 60 fire.

We both trapped and bladded and shielded an then finally the death blows Fire had first turn and he hit me for 2871 leaving me with 78 health and a chance to return a deadly blow of my own.

I've seen my centaur deal nearly 6000 and I had it all on this guy. A curse 30% two feignt 70% and 75% the balance traps 25% to life and a life trap 25%. Then my life blade and the spirit blade. So my centaur unleashes his fury a deals a woopi g 783???

That fire spell had left a dirty little treat of 90% weakness seriously?
So how does anyone level?

Explorer
Feb 25, 2010
My best PvP wizard is a mid-high level commander up to low level warlord (850-950) with a pretty consistent 78% win percentage. You need to win way more often than you lose in order to gain and maintain rank, especially with the very limited number of points you gain from beating someone above your level, compared to the number of points you could lose from the same fight. Good luck!

Survivor
Dec 25, 2009
I assume you 1v1. I feel your pain. When I was magus, I would be against level 50 privates all the time (pre-celestia). I'd win and get 4-7 points, I'd lose and they'd get 20-29 points lol and I was level 33. Then I got to level 38 and got level 60 privates, same thing. So I leveled up to 58 and got the same thing (lots of privates). So I leveled up to 60 where I am now (a knight still) My record is 969-530 with 12,979 arena tickets i can't use for anything lol. Everyone tells me I should be super overlord or something like that with that record, but as I said many battles where I get a few points but they get many (been really close to commander several times but failed). It's all about rank not level unfortunately. The system needs help for lower levels I agree. I have suggested a 9 level cap option above and below your level regardless of rank so if you are level 40 for example all you'd fight would be between level 31-49. Of course you may wait around for a while and 2v2 or more wouldn't work under this principle but for 1v1 I think it would. Your best bet is to level to 60 or group pvp. I hope this helps some.

Morgan Lifebringer Legendary Life
Grandmaster Artisan
PVP Title (ask me at the end of the day)

Defender
Oct 31, 2009
littleblonde wrote:
PVP Title (ask me at the end of the day)

LOL so true! Yes the majority of my PvP is 1v1 as waiting for groups takes longer then the pet races!

My opinion is that win loss points should work like the tickets, you win you get a bunch, you loose you only loose a few.

The match should be ranked on the two key elements here, 1-Rank of opponents and 2-Level of opponents.

If a Level 60 Private faces off against a level 33 Captain there is no way it is a fair matchup. However, if the Level 33 wins he/she would gain points off of the matchup system. So because they are higher rank they would not gain a lot of points there but because of level they would get a bonus.

When more likely the 60 wins they would get a bonus in points for the rank but no extra for Level.

Something like a baseline of 15 points are challenged per match
Winner gains Bonus of +25% per level under opponent and a +25% per rank under opponent.
Looser Drops a Bonus of 25% per level over oppoent and 25% per rank however, the 15 points would be reduced by 25% per level under your opponent.

In matches of 2v2 to 4v4 it would be a team avarage.

This way if a 60 Warlord and a 60 Private faced off and the Private won the warlord would loose approximately 22 points and the Private would gain 22 but is a level 33 warlord went up against a 60 private and the private won the 60 would gain 22 points and the 33 would only loose 15 (15 base +7 rank -7 Level)

This way you understand the challenge and what is at stake. As a lower level expected to compete against higher level skills it is purposterous to loose so many points based on ranks. However, if you are that good of a PvPer and win the day your efforts should be equally rewarded.

This would make it possible to still climb in rank even with losses.

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
Tragamite wrote:
I have battled in 150 and I'm still a private with a rating of 473. Most I've ever gained from winning a match is 14 but when I loose I've lost as much as 23. My record is 63 and 89.

I had a bout of good luck with a winning streak that got me faced up against lvl 30-50 and I was able to earn sgt. Normally I'm faced off against 60s in fact the last match where I lost 18 points was against a 60 fire.

We both trapped and bladded and shielded an then finally the death blows Fire had first turn and he hit me for 2871 leaving me with 78 health and a chance to return a deadly blow of my own.

I've seen my centaur deal nearly 6000 and I had it all on this guy. A curse 30% two feignt 70% and 75% the balance traps 25% to life and a life trap 25%. Then my life blade and the spirit blade. So my centaur unleashes his fury a deals a woopi g 783???

That fire spell had left a dirty little treat of 90% weakness seriously?
So how does anyone level?
Lol yes efreet is indeed all mighty.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
One rule, find a new strategy, don't ever do a max damage hit for as you found out, it is easily countered. When you say the fire start using blades and traps, why didn't you use a 70% fire shield? I do not have a life wizard that I 1v1 with so I cant give you any advice but I do have a mid level commander ice. Also I must disagree with the fact that fighting high levels is unfair. I have a motto, brains are stronger then spells. I find it much harder to fight a magus commander then a private legendary. They are so predictable and will sometimes still use a efreet though a 70% shield and a weakness.

-Solstice64

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
Solstice64 wrote:
One rule, find a new strategy, don't ever do a max damage hit for as you found out, it is easily countered. When you say the fire start using blades and traps, why didn't you use a 70% fire shield? I do not have a life wizard that I 1v1 with so I cant give you any advice but I do have a mid level commander ice. Also I must disagree with the fact that fighting high levels is unfair. I have a motto, brains are stronger then spells. I find it much harder to fight a magus commander then a private warlord. They are so predictable and will sometimes still use a efreet though a 70% shield and a weakness.

-Solstice64

the private warlord part.... It got me confused did you mean legend warlord?? I would say your motto works but at a certain point even brains wont help you, say a lvl 20 myth against a lvl 60 storm. (i know its unlikely but still) Even minions wont help because the storm can just keep hitting them. The people who efreet through shields and weaknesses just think that they can wear the person down and eventually they will win. (sometimes works)

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Spiritshadow wrote:

the private warlord part.... It got me confused did you mean legend warlord?? I would say your motto works but at a certain point even brains wont help you, say a lvl 20 myth against a lvl 60 storm. (i know its unlikely but still) Even minions wont help because the storm can just keep hitting them. The people who efreet through shields and weaknesses just think that they can wear the person down and eventually they will win. (sometimes works)

Oops, I meant private legendary, will fix that. The point is at that level I beat a level 55 fire, going second. Why? becuase despite him hitting critical on me, he still just bladed up at attacked me through my shields. Your situation is a little far-fetched, but I have beat a level 52 storm at my level, once again becuase he never made any good choices, he shielded instead of attacking when he could of killed me ect. Your situations also with storm knocking down the minion are what a smart person would do. Remember when your magus fighting legendaries, their rank tends to be pretty low.

-Solstice64