Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Ice Wizard, Or Myth Wizard?

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Apr 01, 2011
:D Hello! I've been working on my Fire Wizard for a bit, and when I probably am ready to play as another Wizard, I've been trying to pick which school I like best. I like Myth and Ice, but its so very hard for me to decide!
Myth because it summons minions and very cool and powerful spells
Ice because it has the most health, good shielding, and fun spell
So what do you think? Don't be afraid to post your full opinion! Thats what I need! The school that gets the most votes I'll play as. (I' m new in Wizard City but its so much fun!) Don't forget to explain your full opinion.

Thanks! Taryn Sunstrider-Level 13 Pyromancer

Explorer
Mar 09, 2011
i am going to answer that question kind with an opinion,i am kind of new to the game much like yourself when i first started i created six wizards in six different schools running them all up as far as i could go without becoming a subscriber needless to say i loved the game so much i am now i am a subscriber what i will do is tell you my opinion and experience with each one of my wizards please take it with a grain of salt as i am fairly new to the spiral myself so i have not really progressed past level 12 with any of my wizards.

storm:one of the most powerfull schools with devestating attacks high fizzle rate and low health makes this wizard difficult to use when going solo.

fire:second most powerfull wizard similar to storm with dot spells again fairly high fizzle rate with slightly more health this wizard as you know can be fun but things could get dicey in firecat alley without proper shields and help.i like this wizard he is fun easier than storm to do solo but you still need some help.

ice:my third wizard and most durable wizard i describe him as a slow moving tank he has the highest health of any wizard but his spells are weaker than most of the other wizards so he hangs around battles for awhile but because of his high health he usually is still standing at the end,going solo with this tank is not a problem but battles do tend to last awhile.he is one of my more less exciting wizards to use.

life:this wizard is a true team player he is fun with a group with his ability to heal other players and yourself and if you hook up with the right group you can cause some serious damage his ability to heal is his asset but his spells are all around not terrible in my opinion his best asset is his group play which i found out a couple of times,i like using him he is fun.

balance:my fifth wizard hes kind of middle of the road he has some cool spells and is middle of the road with health just like the title says balance he can go either way solo as i found out on two occasions when someone bailed on me during a boss battle and a second time after another wizard was killed off pretty quickly i was able to hold my own pretty well,i like this wizard he is very well rounded and alot of fun to use either with a group or solo with his wide array of spells.

myth:finally my myth wizard him and my balance are my two favorites he has some really powerfull spells and his minions are adequate i dont know how he will fair in the upper levels but he does quite alright for himself right now.his health is decent so he can hold his own,he is relly fun to play with either solo or in a group in a group he dishes out damage quickly because you can wait that little extra time to throw out a trap then a fairly decent spell like a troll or cyclops if you are solo your minions help out a little with your puppet or troll minion and gives you some extra time and damage,i am still at quite a low level 11 with him so i dont know how he will be on the higher levels but he is really alot of fun.

well i summed it up the best i could with my little bit of experience i do have please take it with a grain of salt as i like you just started playing.

a couple of words of advice that learned from some people on this panel is learn to use your traps,shields,blades & prism they will help immensly in battle.also dont waste your training points in the beggining like i did save them until you know exactly what each school has to offer i used mine and luckily i was not too far in the game and i deleted my wizard and started fresh.save your points until you are really sure what secondary school you want to learn.the people on this forum are great they answer all my questions and then some.
my best advice to you is i'm repeating what someone told me on here when i first started is go with what style feels best for you.you have to make your own way and play your own style.you will know you have it when you hook up with a group and just cut through a realm like butter much like i did and i knew right then and there i've got the hang of this.
well i hope i helped you out a little i haven't been playing long but hopefully i gave you some info you could use.

have fun in the spiral,its a fun place to be!

Historian
Jan 05, 2011
PyromancerTaryn wrote:
:D Hello! I've been working on my Fire Wizard for a bit, and when I probably am ready to play as another Wizard, I've been trying to pick which school I like best. I like Myth and Ice, but its so very hard for me to decide! Myth because it summons minions and very cool and powerful spells Ice because it has the most health, good shielding, and fun spell So what do you think? Don't be afraid to post your full opinion! Thats what I need! The school that gets the most votes I'll play as. (I' m new in Wizard City but its so much fun!) Don't forget to explain your full opinion. Thanks! Taryn Sunstrider-Level 13 Pyromancer
i love both my ice mage and myth mage, but if you're only going for myth for the minion, you'll be disappointed by them as they become useless at higher levels. (the minions, that is, not the wizards). so with your starting statement as a reference to your reasoning for your choices, i'd suggest ice. highest health, resist all, and tower shield make you a walking tank. so my vote is ice for you. -elijah darkthorn, grandmaster conjurer (and crew)

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
I agree with etherchaos.

At later levels, Myth simply becomes a weak Myth wizard. Minions will become impractical to use, and at 58, Myth gets Medusa, which ends up being the weakest rank 8 spell of all wizards, even weaker than ice, life, or death.

Taking into consideration as to where things are NOW, I'd choose Ice over Myth. However, with the next level cap and rank 9 spell, Myth may come back in damage and gets proportionally back on track along with the other wizards.

I still love Myth, even though I don't play it. I am simply not happy with how Myth stands at this time.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I agree with etherchaos.
at 58, Myth gets Medusa, which ends up being the weakest rank 8 spell of all wizards, even weaker than ice, life, or death.

Taking into consideration as to where things are NOW, I'd choose Ice over Myth. However, with the next level cap and rank 9 spell, Myth may come back in damage and gets proportionally back on track along with the other wizards.

I still love Myth, even though I don't play it. I am simply not happy with how Myth stands at this time.

Medusa is 10 points stronger than Snow angel at 770 where snow angel is 760 Myth also gets a bigger attack boost through their 58 gear where ices 58 gear doesn't even get their attack boost past 30. Medusa is not the weakest of the rank 8 spells.

Defender
Oct 26, 2009
PyromancerTaryn wrote:
:D Hello! I've been working on my Fire Wizard for a bit, and when I probably am ready to play as another Wizard, I've been trying to pick which school I like best. I like Myth and Ice, but its so very hard for me to decide!
Myth because it summons minions and very cool and powerful spells
Ice because it has the most health, good shielding, and fun spell
So what do you think? Don't be afraid to post your full opinion! Thats what I need! The school that gets the most votes I'll play as. (I' m new in Wizard City but its so much fun!) Don't forget to explain your full opinion.

Thanks! Taryn Sunstrider-Level 13 Pyromancer

I recommend creating a myth wizard. Why?

Leveling my myth wizard was unbelievably difficult. Your minion becomes useless as around level 25 or 30 and then you WILL have an absurdly difficult time leveling. However, how many myth legendary wizards do you see wondering around? Not many, right? You will have access to unbelievable bragging rights.

Non Tongue In Cheek Version: Go Enny-Meenie-Miney-Moe. I'm deadly serious, that is THE best way to decide.

Squire
Apr 30, 2010
I actually think that myth is strong. I have a myth/ice wizard and I use the myth almost exclusivly.
I just started an ice wizard on my free account and it seems to be great! My favorite ice spell is steal ward!

Survivor
Dec 19, 2009
I've had both a myth and ice wizard I prefer myth. In the Ice school your like a meat sheild I don't mind being like that but then if you dish out damage then you become more and more like a shield for your teamates its still a great school though. In myth suppose you get life and ice as secondary schools then you can play almost any role. Tank, Damage Dealer, Shielder, Shield Remover the possibilities are endless so I think you should choose myth

Survivor
Feb 12, 2011
My vote is Myth, Myth is all about One-hit-kills (in my view) the damage is great, the fizzle is also fair, I gotta tell you what is more fun than combining: mythblade, spiritblade,two myth traps and time of legend, and then release a minotaur on your foe, if you do this on a storm enemy it could do over 2000 damage!
another thing is that there are not many myth enemies so you do not have to worry about resistance, and some balance and storm enemies are a peice of cake!

Survivor
Jul 23, 2010
CorbinW wrote:
Shiningfantasia wrote:
I agree with etherchaos.
at 58, Myth gets Medusa, which ends up being the weakest rank 8 spell of all wizards, even weaker than ice, life, or death.

Medusa is 10 points stronger than Snow angel at 770 where snow angel is 760 Myth also gets a bigger attack boost through their 58 gear where ices 58 gear doesn't even get their attack boost past 30. Medusa is not the weakest of the rank 8 spells.

Snow angel may be at 770 but it is a hit all spell so it can do 2880 overall.

Survivor
Apr 01, 2011
:D Thank you, for all you have done young Wizards.
Taryn is now Level 45! BUT, I didn't do all the extra quests in the Spirals...
Which is leading to low level...
I defeated Malistaire with a girl named Angela, Death level 55 and Alura
FireBlossom, level 35 Fire. Level 45 defeating Malistaire?
I think that is much too low.
I got the Warehouse quest and did it with a Fire Legendary and a Legendary Life.
I found out it was REALLY REALLY VERY VERY hard.
Especially the boss crying out 'Help!' all the time mostly killed me.
I killed the boss but we all ended up dieing, and that is what ticked me off.
So I decided to be Ice, Myth has worthless minions and low health.
I'll be a walking tank as Ice, but thank you for all of your opinions.
I will try again as Sierra MoonWalker, my Ice, and do all the extra quests.
I'll try to get to level 49 in time for Malistaire's quest, The Final Count down, which is the level you probably should have been.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
A simple 'fix' to spell damage or 'buff' to Myth's minions would solve this dilemma. Especially since Myth wizards are supposed to specialize in minions.

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
I had to make this decision as well. I made a Sorcerer, a Theurgist, a Diviner, a Necromancer, and finally a Pyromancer. It came down to Ice or Myth for the last wizard (I decided six wizards was enough for me as of now), and because I think Myth is such a boring school mainly because I'm not a fan of minions, I chose my last wizard to be a Conjurer. I say choose the school you have less of an interest in so you can learn more about it.

Mastermind
Dec 21, 2009
Give Myth a try, it's a lot of fun. If you wanted, Myth+ Ice makes a pretty good combo as well, even if it sounds a little obscure.
-Taryn Dragonsong ;)

Historian
May 01, 2010
etherchaos wrote:
PyromancerTaryn wrote:
:D Hello! I've been working on my Fire Wizard for a bit, and when I probably am ready to play as another Wizard, I've been trying to pick which school I like best. I like Myth and Ice, but its so very hard for me to decide! Myth because it summons minions and very cool and powerful spells Ice because it has the most health, good shielding, and fun spell So what do you think? Don't be afraid to post your full opinion! Thats what I need! The school that gets the most votes I'll play as. (I' m new in Wizard City but its so much fun!) Don't forget to explain your full opinion. Thanks! Taryn Sunstrider-Level 13 Pyromancer
i love both my ice mage and myth mage, but if you're only going for myth for the minion, you'll be disappointed by them as they become useless at higher levels. (the minions, that is, not the wizards). so with your starting statement as a reference to your reasoning for your choices, i'd suggest ice. highest health, resist all, and tower shield make you a walking tank. so my vote is ice for you. -elijah darkthorn, grandmaster conjurer (and crew)

i have seen someone loving the puppet minion (the rank 0 one), because perople in cl lack low rank spells, so, if they attack, they just wasted 6-7 pips on him and the conjurer never took a drop of damage.

Survivor
Sep 06, 2009
depends on your style if you solo myth has the advantage due to the minnions but if you go with a group you dont have the space so ice would be the best choich