Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

More options to train your pets

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Mar 29, 2011
Survivor
Jul 31, 2015
You should be able to stitch pets.
You should be able to will cast every pet.
There should be more pets with may cast.
You should be able to fight with only your pet. For example, train your pet spells etc.

GIVE BALANCE MORE GOOD HITTING SPELLS

Survivor
Apr 01, 2020
Why can't pets get experience along with his owner, if they take part in the battle? That would make them increase in level dramatically.

Survivor
May 07, 2020
For me I would say actually have the pet stats do something mainly the say they do something but I don't get anything except my pet jewel this should have like strength gave you +3% damage to its school or overall and agility could help your accuracy something to this effect because I feel stronger pets that are ancient and above need a thing to differ itself from baby pets with no stats and talents.

Survivor
Jul 31, 2015
I have a Zeus's Harpy pet and one of the spells it gives is spectral blast, but when I use it, my pet doesn't cast I do.

Survivor
Jul 15, 2013
DaBeetleAtom on May 29, 2020 wrote:
For me I would say actually have the pet stats do something mainly the say they do something but I don't get anything except my pet jewel this should have like strength gave you +3% damage to its school or overall and agility could help your accuracy something to this effect because I feel stronger pets that are ancient and above need a thing to differ itself from baby pets with no stats and talents.
Pet stats already do something: As your pet levels up, it gains talents. If you get a damage talent when you level up from Baby to Teen, your damage talent will probably give you only 1% damage. You might think you just got a low roll on the damage, but that's where stats come into play.

Damage is influenced by your pet's Strength stat, so if you play pet games and feed your pet snacks that increase Strength, the damage talent will scale up. If you max out your Strength stat, the damage talent is also maxed out. So that 1% damage buff could turn into 6%, or whatever.

The same logic applies for all other stats, and also talents from jewels.

Champion
Nov 22, 2008
Digby1962 on May 15, 2020 wrote:
Why can't pets get experience along with his owner, if they take part in the battle? That would make them increase in level dramatically.
There's a gem for that

Mastermind
Mar 19, 2011
Since you have already introduced pet/game mastery, how about if we could "autotrain" our pets until we ran out of snacks/energy.

We could check a box and have a pet consume snacks and energy and be instantly trained to adult, ancient, etc.

Defender
May 31, 2009
From what I can see it seems that out of the 957 posts over the last 11 1/2+ years since Greyrose asked this question, 1 request that was asked over and over was added to the game - having your pets help in fights. Took...a while...but I guess the Will Cast pet system was what a lot of folks wanted.

However...the subject of the post was "more options to train your pets", and while there were many great pet related suggestions, very few of the posts actually had anything to do with TRAINING your pets. In fact, aside from a few mini games added after initial 4 (Way of the Ninja Pig and Grumpy Gobblers), a few jewels that allow some pet XP, Grub Guardian, and the poorly thought out idea that Ranked Derby was a good place to get pet XP, we're pretty much stuck with the same options we had when pet training came out last decade.

So, in case K I is still looking for more suggestions...

1. Pet XP drops and Feeding pets after a fight. This is too obvious. Maybe you can do this only after bosses, and not mobs, or maybe mobs drop some as well and you can only feed after bosses, or maybe after some really tough bosses you can feed twice - who knows what is ideal, but the WORST thing about the mini games in the pavilion is that they take you out of THE GAME. They isolate you from friends, they are repetitious, and they are a complete disconnect to anything else. Allowing you to quest with a pet that needs to be trained encourages questing, and fighting, and working with others as a team.

2. New jewels / Update the jewels. The jewels (Quick Learner, Accelerated Learner, and Great Learner) are a good idea but give so little actual pet XP [+1, +1-2, and +2 respectively] that they are completely useless. To get a pet to just TEEN with even the Great Learner jewel would take 63 fights - with 5 minute cooldown in between! ACK! Instead, add pet XP drops [see above item 1] and change the affect of these jewels to Double, or Triple, or Quadruple the XP you would otherwise get.

Oh, and make these jewels unshatterable. As it is, you put it on to a pet, that pet makes it to Teen, fails, and then...the jewel is lost.

2. Add WhirlyBurly as a pet mini game. This game is actually fun! It doesn't show up until Empyrea, but for those that have progressed that far this game could be another way to get pet XP. Of course, a whirlyburly game takes WAY longer than a mini game, but XP could be adjusted accordingly - 100 pet XP for 1st place, 75 pet XP for 2nd place, and 50 pet XP for third.

3. Update Grub Guardian. Like WhirlyBurly, Grub Guardian is actually fun! Alas, like so many of K I's other mobile games, it's been sadly neglected. So much so that it's glitchy and almost impossible to play without errors. Even if GG doesn't get an update - new maps, new units, etc - at least sort out the glitches!

4. Skipping the Mini games. This was perhaps the single greatest update K I has made in the last...decade?...because the mini games are dreadful! However, without sounding ungrateful I do feel like they didn't go far enough on the benefits of completing these games. As it is now, if you win 25 games you get a bronze badge, and 50 wins will get you a silver badge, and at 100 wins you get gold - woohoo. However, as soon as you get your bronze badge, there is absolutely no incentive to go for silver and gold because you have already "unlocked" the ability to skip that mini game. Well, except the badges, but for most in the game the badges are no incentive at all. Instead, if you get the Silver badge for a minigame, you should get +1 (or +2) stat boost PLUS whatever you feed. And if you get Gold on that game, then +2 (or +3) plus whatever you feed. Or maybe you can feed double if you have the Gold badge? Maybe add a level above Gold (Platinum? Iridium?) and then you can feed it double?

5. Pet XP from PRACTICE Derby. Ever the advocate for Derby, allowing pets to be trained after a PRACTICE derby race would a> benefit Derby sooooooo much and b> be the most fun anyone could have at training their pet! Once option would be to feed double as they do now for RANKED. Another option would be to get pet XP based on how you finish a practice race. Since races take about 4 times as long as the fastest game, pet XP would be 20 points for a win 1v3 win, 15 points for 1v2 win, 12 points for 1v1 win, and 5 points for racing alone. 2nd place would be 15 for 1v3, 12 for 1v2, 10 for 1v1, 3rd would be 12 for 1v3, 10 for 1v2, and 4th would be 10 for 1v3.

HOWEVER, if they went with this it would be essential that they give an option before you join a match to either join TRAINING or FUN. If two players, or 3 or 4, want to race for fun, there has to be an option that doesn't automatically give pet XP or some of the greatest derby pets would never be available to race again!

So K I, if you are REALLY interested in giving us new options for training our pets, here ya go.
Casp

Survivor
Dec 12, 2017
There should be a membership benefit where their is double snacks for those who like to farm Mirror Lake for pixie stix.

Survivor
Jan 13, 2010
How bout a Houseing item that lets us train our pets in our homes?

Survivor
Aug 07, 2010
Mastermind
Jan 05, 2014
KI has added a small amount of pet experience after every quest for the pet equipped when the quest is completed. How about when this pet experience is awarded we get a chance to feed the pet a snack? Maybe it would cost some points of energy to do so. This would go a long way towards allowing pets to be trained without abandoning questing friends to go play pet games.

Survivor
Nov 27, 2010
DanTheTerrible on Dec 4, 2020 wrote:
KI has added a small amount of pet experience after every quest for the pet equipped when the quest is completed. How about when this pet experience is awarded we get a chance to feed the pet a snack? Maybe it would cost some points of energy to do so. This would go a long way towards allowing pets to be trained without abandoning questing friends to go play pet games.
I believe you are only rewarded pet experience after completing a main quest. I love your idea and would love to have more opportunities to feed my pet!

Survivor
Feb 29, 2012
Survivor
Aug 26, 2020
Pets can cast a fishing Reveal spell if have that talent. Would be nice and cute if sometimes the pet can catch a fish for you! Or if can train a pet to do fish catching.

Survivor
Sep 19, 2010
Explorer
Nov 23, 2008
I would love to see bonus stats for any 2.0 pet you create. This takes lots of time and crowns. I really wish that the only pet right now for the highest stat is a frill. It would be nice to be able to choose the pet of your liking then to have no choice in one to get your stats as high as you need to.

Survivor
Dec 26, 2013
I would love be be able to make your pet do animations/tricks. I think someone might of already said this but I do magic shows and I would like to have a pet that does cool tricks and animations!!!

Survivor
Jun 16, 2009
I'm an on again/off again player for the better part of a decade. While some improvements have been done to pets the problems are still very apparent.
1. Hatching pets is still too expensive. Needing on average 30k gold minimum and the highest it goes to is usually 90K+ is incredibly unreasonable.
2. Two after the update that happened last year where the kiosk was restricted with only two search talents was a incredible dumb move bring it back to 5 or at least 4 minimum. I just adds more work to the players.
3. Please add more sorting options to the kiosk because two talent searching is to restrictive.
Pets are a core part to wizard builds and making it more difficult than necessary to reach it is just borderline ignorant.

Survivor
May 05, 2013
Survivor
Mar 20, 2010
Survivor
Nov 14, 2010
I would like for there to be an event where w101 members can change or choose a new pet trait or talent, everybody has an ideal pet in there mind, but to actually get it requires lots and lots of hours gardening for snack or farming for mega snacks and waiting for energy all for it to fail in epic or mega, I think an event like this would really be useful for the present members and might even bring some people back to the game overtime, it's also a good way to help with diversity and competition in the game, since pet traits / talents can basically make you a stronger player in so many ways, ( ex: healing, damage, resistance, critical, pierce, life, maycasts, etc.) I've played this game for a while now, if this came out I think it would be a very good improvement for our community.

Peace out guys

Survivor
Jan 07, 2020
Professor Greyrose on Jan 28, 2009 wrote:
What kind of options are you interested in for training your pets?
This isn't about pets, but I just got a 1 day Auroch mount and I was wondering if it will be in the crown shop to buy anytime soon I absolutely love it.

Survivor
Aug 15, 2013
I would really LOVE it if pets could understand me when i tell it that I need it to cast a heal on me. Seems like a lot of the time, a may cast spell doesn't come when you really need it. I see the "Good boy" post. Does thanking the pet for it's actions really help? I see a lot of people in the game talking to their pets, so this is apparently a common desire. In real life we can talk to real pets and there is a certain level of understanding, so maybe a little Artificial Intelligence of some sort might be a really Great thing.