Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Critical Rating in PvP

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
Tired of those PvP matches which are over in 5 turns? So am I. I find that critical rating has ruined the strategic side of PvP as most matches are won due to critical hits. The original PvP was much more fair as there was no over the top hits which rip through shields and leave you frantically healing.

Although I use Conviction (which adds 90 block rating and 90% stun resist) regularly and have a block rating from my clothing, those critical hits bypass my aura and leaves the match with a very boring end, usually after about 5 turns. I don't really see the point in going into matches and just losing my rank because of critical rating within the first few minutes of a battle, I much preferred the fair matches that lasted at least 10-15 minutes. But now in PvP it takes no thought to kill your enemy. Not only did the critical rating update ruin PvP, but it also wasted 2000 Arena tickets that many people spent on Commander PvP gear, which is now worthless as its' resist is overpowered by hits that would have normally been partially prevented.

So, I would like to ask for a new section of the Arena where we can have fair matches with no critical or block rating so then I can get back to having fun and fighting with other fellow wizards who also enjoy a tough but fair fight. ;)

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
Completely agree, sacrificing resist and a little health means nothing when with vengeance you can have a 50% chance to double your damage.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
I don't know about this, as I see plenty of fights between Warlords that go on for hours. They hit Critical heals, and when they are almost Doa, are now back in the game.

I agree, the Critical rating may make it harder to win with limited experience, but I think that as that is gained, Critical becomes a great weapon to have on your side. Especially if you are Myth, Fire, Life or Storm.
I am not sure on Death, but Balance and Ice seldom seem to build up their Critical ratings.

If you have the new Life Sword (crowns only I think), your Critical Block rating should be high enough where you block most of the Cirt's anyway. I think that KI added this sword, exactly for that reason.

Plus, a Tower Shield (-50), and Treasure Tower (-55), or a (-70) Shield really takes the damage out of a Critical.

Plus, the Critical are just like the cards that show up from your Deck, random. It keeps the game more complex, plus you can always set up your Wizard any way you want too. So, again, idk if I would want to see it removed.

Joseph LionHunter.

Survivor
Jun 27, 2009
Yes, I agree that the shields may help prevent the critical hit from damaging you badly, but shields are rarely hit by large critical hits as lots of people carry low pip shield breakers. The shields may help if going first turn, but if you're second you can't do much about it, which doesn't make it fair on the person going second. So yet again, the match is mostly based on luck. Whereas without critical rating there was less chance of dying straight after your shield is broken when going second.