Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Buying crowns with gold

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Feb 15, 2011
I thank we should be able to buy crowns with gold some where in Wizard city

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
Razzie2001 wrote:

Gold is too easy to obtain. If you think this is a good idea, I'm sorry it isn't. If they were to even think of making a place where you could buy Crowns (something bought with IRL money) for Gold (in game renewable currency), then expect it to be no LESS than 5,000 Gold for 1 Crown. Again, Gold is too easy to obtain, so this would make Crowns worthless.

Explorer
Sep 20, 2009
First of all, if it was in wc all the noobs would get to it. If it would be anywhere, it would be in cl.
Second, KI needs to make money. They need the money we use from our crowns to make the spiral a better place.

Champion
Apr 18, 2010
ambybob wrote:
First of all, if it was in wc all the noobs would get to it. If it would be anywhere, it would be in cl.

Who cares if "noobs" could get to it. Do you want to get special privileges just because your a high level? If this does exist then it should be in firecat ally or cyclops lane so only paying members can get to it.

amybob wrote:
Second, KI needs to make money. They need the money we use from our crowns to make the spiral a better place.

Agree with you on this part, though it would be kinda nice to get those easy crowns. Maybe after a pvp match everyone (even losers) would be rewarded 1-10 crowns. This would discourage fleeing in the middle of a match leaving your teammates stranded.

-Dylan NightShade, legendary sorcerer
-Myrna MoonRiver, level 33, ice
-Tanner LegendHammer, level 39, myth

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Johnist wrote:
Razzie2001 wrote:

Gold is too easy to obtain. If you think this is a good idea, I'm sorry it isn't. If they were to even think of making a place where you could buy Crowns (something bought with IRL money) for Gold (in game renewable currency), then expect it to be no LESS than 5,000 Gold for 1 Crown. Again, Gold is too easy to obtain, so this would make Crowns worthless.

I agree with Johnist on this. Gold is very easy to obtain, whether you are farming for the wooden chests or farming bosses and selling the loot.

And I can attest to that because I had one of my legendaries farming pearls and Shock-a-locks in stormriven. In about 2 hours time I had acquired over 3,000 in gold just from the silver and wooden chests. I have also been trying to complete badges on all of my wizards and in the process, I have to go to the Bazaar every couple of days at least depending on how long I run on any given day. So NO, crowns should not be buyable with gold.

Who cares if "noobs" could get to it. Do you want to get special privileges just because your a high level? If this does exist then it should be in firecat ally or cyclops lane so only paying members can get to it.

I am sorry to tell you that free players can get into those areas. I know. I have just set up a free account ( not sure I am going to keep) and my wizard is already in that area.

Mastermind
Sep 11, 2010
Crowns should not be obtainable with gold. There are already a very large portion of the items in the crown shop that can be bought with gold (the houses, for one, and many mounts), so there's no need to further increase what people can obtain with gold.

Also, as has been said... Gold is EASY to get. With a good party, knowledge of the place, and just a smidgen of luck, you can rake up 50,000 gold in an hour or less! Being able to convert gold to crowns would not only drastically lower Kingisle's income, but also be a laugh in the face to those of us who do buy crowns.

Delver
Jun 09, 2010
This would not work. Wizard101 depends on crowns to make money in real life. And like any business they have to make profit to stay open. To do what you suggest would be business suicide. They would lose a lot of revenue if they started letting people buy crowns for gold.

Delver
Jun 09, 2010

I am sorry to tell you that free players can get into those areas. I know. I have just set up a free account ( not sure I am going to keep) and my wizard is already in that area.

Actually you can't access fire cat alley and a few other places in wizard city unless you pay for them. If you can get in them and it is a free account you should report this to wizard101, because if they find out you are in an area and aren't supposed to be and you don't tell them, then you could be in trouble for taking advantage of a bug in the game.

Explorer
Nov 20, 2008
there was a time that you could of paid gold for crown items i myself have a lot of crown item which i never paid a single crown for. but as you can see they changed it.

Survivor
Jan 15, 2011
Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
Actually you can't access fire cat alley and a few other places in wizard city unless you pay for them. If you can get in them and it is a free account you should report this to wizard101, because if they find out you are in an area and aren't supposed to be and you don't tell them, then you could be in trouble for taking advantage of a bug in the game.

I have no intention of taking advantage of any bug. If and when I find my wizard where she should not be, I will be the first to report it.

thats a excellent idea

NO it is not an excellent idea. Some crowns items are already available in the crown shop for gold. But being able to buy Crowns with gold is not a good idea. And it would not be fair to the many wizards that have purchased crowns the way KI has it set up.

Survivor
Sep 26, 2009
Sorry, crowns are not something that should be handed out for gold at any exchange rate. Crowns represent real money, so them handing out crowns for gold is comparable to you handing out money for slot machine coins. Maybe it would be fair to ask for members who have played for a long period of time to recieve a minor amount of crowns is fair, but gold can reach max in less than a week easily in celestia. It wouldnt be fair to ask to exchange it.
This message is brought to you by my garden, WE PROUDLY RAISE NINJAS!

Survivor
May 21, 2010
I think this an awesome ide how ever its true that gold is an easy obtainable
so i think to make things fair 25,000 gold should equal 1 crown. that might seem worthless to do but if you really need a few its something doable and that way crown items remain valuable since getting over 2500 crowns would equal a lot of gold

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
Johnist wrote:
Razzie2001 wrote:

I was thinking that the exchange rate would be based off of the Gold price to Crowns Price of something in the Crowns shop, or based off of the Crowns to Gold exchange in the Crowns shop. Like, the Gold to Crowns ration of the houses in the Crowns shop is 10:1, Gold:Crowns, so if they based the Exchange rate off of that, it would be 10 gold for 1 crown, but if they did that, they would probably make it only payable in certain amounts like 5000 for 500 at least amount payable. Off topic, but I seem to have the tendency to type a lot when I do type.

Survivor
Feb 21, 2010
1BLUE1 wrote:
I think this an awesome ide how ever its true that gold is an easy obtainable
so i think to make things fair 25,000 gold should equal 1 crown. that might seem worthless to do but if you really need a few its something doable and that way crown items remain valuable since getting over 2500 crowns would equal a lot of gold
That is too overpriced. THe Most I would accept for one crown would be 2500.

Squire
Aug 12, 2009
hyper1337 wrote:
Johnist wrote:
Razzie2001 wrote:

I was thinking that the exchange rate would be based off of the Gold price to Crowns Price of something in the Crowns shop, or based off of the Crowns to Gold exchange in the Crowns shop. Like, the Gold to Crowns ration of the houses in the Crowns shop is 10:1, Gold:Crowns, so if they based the Exchange rate off of that, it would be 10 gold for 1 crown, but if they did that, they would probably make it only payable in certain amounts like 5000 for 500 at least amount payable. Off topic, but I seem to have the tendency to type a lot when I do type.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but they probably WON'T ever use the Crowns to Gold ratio from the Crowns shop for Gold to Crowns. Gold is far too easy to obtain in game. Plant a bunch of Prickly Cactus Bears, and sell off all the Non-Mega Snacks. You'll usually make more than your money back by the second harvest.

Remember people, KingsIsle needs to make money in order to remain in business. Giving out Crowns for in-game gold would NOT be a sane money-making ability, unless it was for Members Only.

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
Johnist wrote:
Razzie2001 wrote:

Johnist i totally agree as a wizard101 player who has purchased crowns i think that if you could buy crowns in an area in wizard city people would have wasted their money buying crowns online but one thing i disagree with is the price of crowns with gold i actually think 1 crown should equal 1,000 gold so if you want 20 you would spend 20,000 gold so what is the point?
Ryan Spellblade Magus Conjurer Level 34

Survivor
Dec 31, 2008
hyper1337 wrote:
Johnist wrote:
Razzie2001 wrote:

Huh!