Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Fixing Myth In One Easy Step

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Nov 01, 2009
Greetings,

I see a lot of negative views and opinions being express about Myth both in-game and on the forums. I have been playing Myth exclusively for about a year. Group play is fairly decent and at times powerful. The frustrating aspects of the school arise when you're out in the Spiral playing alone.

Everyone should be familiar by now with how Myth is set up. You are required to set up a large number of buffs and traps and then unleash one big spell. The trick is setting up two of each trap per monster so that the lighter initial hit of spells like Minotaur and Orthrus proc heavy, but then the larger secondary hit gets a buff too. There are no secrets here.

The difficulty comes from staying alive long enough to fully buff and debuff a baddie while you're getting pelted.

So, with all of this in mind, I've thought about the area where Myth is lacking in solo-ability and suffering long-term survivability and come up with the following:

Myth needs a DoT/HoT spell.

Call it whatever you want: Cupid, Athena, Siren, etc. It doesn't matter. The bottom line is, Myth needs a spell that not only slowly and slightly wounds a monster every turn to soften them up a bit, but it needs to return about as much health as a Sprite.

If Myth had a 4 pip spell like this that lasted 3 turns, I wouldn't have to stand around begging friends to help me kill the same Rank 9 - 10 monster sets that everyone else can kill solo.

Hero
Sep 08, 2008
Hey Stormslinger!

I love the Myth class, exotic, somewhat powerful, and unique. I think the problem with Myth is that at later levels involving Celestia, minions become so impractical to use, that Myth ends up becoming a very weak wizard. Also, attacks like Medusa with stuns that may only work half the time (depending on mobs) becomes the weakest spell in the game.

Once I hit Celestia, I was forced to use a different strategy. I had to get rid of my minions, and reconfigure my entire deck. But my goal was to never one-hit kill any monsters.

For the solo play: One thing that will help, especially since your a Myth, is the lvl.0 Living Puppet. Costing 0 pips, the puppet will attack every single turn unless it fizzles. Over those turns, that can add up to be quite a lot of damage. I suggest you get rid of traps. Keep your deck efficient and smallish.

5 Living Puppet. (You definitely want this card to assist you every time)
2 Minotaur.
4 Orthrus.
4 Medusa. (If available)
4 Tower shield. (A MUST for every school, in my opinion)
Shield (for whatever mob you face)
4 Sprites
3 Satyrs
4 Blades

This was my basic deck configuration once I got settled into Celestia. You already realized because of the nature of Minotaur and Orthrus attacks, you cannot trap with a single trap. But blades cover the entire attack, regardless of how many hits.

I tried to get out my Living puppet as early as possible, then shielding myself while I charge pips. If my target did not go down with a single spell, I simply charged up my pips and attack again. Over those turns I spent shielding/healing/attacking, my living puppet usually ended up doing quite some damage to a monster over time. Either hurting another target, or finishing the monster I attacked.
(Try to attack same target your minion attacks, except for bosses, obviously.)

Your puppet also serves as a decoy to absorb a spell for at least one round.

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
stormslinger wrote:
Greetings,

I have been playing Myth exclusively for about a year. Group play is fairly decent and at times powerful. The frustrating aspects of the school arise when you're out in the Spiral playing alone.

Everyone should be familiar by now with how Myth is set up. You are required to set up a large number of buffs and traps and then unleash one big spell. The trick is setting up two of each trap per monster so that the lighter initial hit of spells like Minotaur and Orthrus proc heavy, but then the larger secondary hit gets a buff too. There are no secrets here.

The difficulty comes from staying alive long enough to fully buff and debuff a baddie while you're getting pelted.

So, with all of this in mind, I've thought about the area where Myth is lacking in solo-ability and suffering long-term survivability and come up with the following:

Myth needs a DoT/HoT spell.

Call it whatever you want: Cupid, Athena, Siren, etc. It doesn't matter. The bottom line is, Myth needs a spell that not only slowly and slightly wounds a monster every turn to soften them up a bit, but it needs to return about as much health as a Sprite.

If Myth had a 4 pip spell like this that lasted 3 turns, I wouldn't have to stand around begging friends to help me kill the same Rank 9 - 10 monster sets that everyone else can kill solo.

You have been playing myth just a little longer than I have, exclusively, much like myself yet you believe myth is set up for one hit kills? That's a pretty strange idea of myth.

I've soloed myth up to Mooshu right about now and with the way things are going, I'm gonna solo it way up past DragonSpyre. Only in Celestia will I end up teaming with groups here and there.

Do you even use your minions? Did you train tower shield? If you did not train tower shield, which all myth wizards should do, not doing so is asking for a hard time, then there lies your problem, as well as not using your minions if you are abandoning them.

I agree that the lack of a strong 4 pip spell can act as a dampener for myth given our health and accuracy set up at earlier levels, as well as the lack of global resist compared to ice, but the use of minions can counter that.

As far as DoT goes, our wooden puppet is pretty much a never ending DoT!!
It constantly fires off one pip spells every single turn until someone takes the time to actually strike it.

We have so many ways to bust through shields, we don't need a DoT spell.
And don't worry about traps. Just use your Time of Legend spell to increase the hits of your orthrus and minotaur. And use your troll and cyclops minions to trap and blade you.

The troll minion will trap your enemies face off. It traps a lot. It really really does. And your cyclops minion will support you with blades, occasionally.

Myth is about ambushing opponents with minions and counterattacking with spells like earthquake.

If you did not train tower, grab it and max out your deck with that.
And train weakness while you're at it! And sprite. This will increase your independence for sure.

You've been playing myth for a year!

Geographer
Jun 09, 2009
Survivor
Jun 10, 2009
What Myth is the second best school ever! It does not need to be fixed!

The best school is Balance

Mason Sandtamer level 36 Sorcerer in the Village of Sorrow

Survivor
Nov 01, 2009
Let's see...

As for minions, you are indeed correct. Celestian mobs can one-shot a minotaur minion through a tower shield. Having to change strategies became mandatory. However, I began to feel the pain in Dragonspyre as well.

Some of the Draconian kill quests and virtually every boss fight felt like I was scraping by to achieve success. In many cases, one fizzle on either my side or that of the mob's was a determining factor.

Celestia was far more brutal. I didn't mention it before, but I am Myth/Life and should therefore be able to survive drawn-out battles a little easier than some other people. The point I am trying to make here however is this, I have been playing games for a very long time and consider myself to be rather skilled. And it leads me to wonder, if someone like myself is suffering, Lord knows what most of these children are doing; banging their heads on their keyboards?

As for tower shield and weakness and zero-pip minions, I am using the full bag of tricks. I utilize heals and shields and auras and whatnot to mitigate damage, but allow me to give you an example. I was soloing Tempus Stormfist today to see how feasible my sea turtle farming might be and without a Sprite minion treasure card and some lucky casts, I would have been a puddle on the floor. Meanwhile, I saw Death, Life and Storm wizards zoning in and out for more than 3 hours today like it was nothing.

Here I was scraping by and not likely to try this feat again, and everyone else was breezing in and out like it was a 10 minute annoyance.

As for the guy that thinks Myth isn't a buff/debuff, big damage class, I'm not sure what to say. There really isn't arguing with someone if they don't understand class mechanics.

I agree that Myth is fun and one of the best schools. Nevertheless, I also find that Myth is fairly complicated, complex, prone to disaster if a fizzle occurs or if you're forced to go second.

The purpose of this post was to point out what is missing and where this class is lacking and how it can be fixed quite easily. Myth needs a spell to soften up mobs and return a little health while we're winding up the blade, blade, aura, trap, trap, trap, trap, global, (convert, convert), gargantuan whammy.