Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Storm underpowered

AuthorMessage
Survivor
Aug 13, 2010
I know this might sound insane but I am starting to get the feeling that storm is becoming a little underpowered. Yes there spells can do massive amount of damage but still. One thing I think is really under powering storm is how every other school besides life and balance has high powered DOT spells. Since I became a legendary diviner I have devoted my time to improving my pvp skills. But people will just spam themselves with storm shields the second they see a storm walk into the room. I dont really like being all those treasure cards for pvp so no matter what shield I have up because almost all schools now have DOT spells my shield is as good as use less, unless I have like 4 on me, which usually doesnt happen. But for me, after putting time to boost my leviathan for a one hit kill they will throw up one storm shield and all my work is gone. Even if it wasnt like the strongest DOT spell ever, having one would really help in many ways. Please explain if you disagree or agree with me.

Delver
Sep 26, 2009
Ok, well i am a storm too and i do think it is annoying how people spam storm shields but that is just their strategy. Anyway, storm does have 2 DoT's: Storm hound and storm elf thingy. Storm hound is a drop by malistaire and the elf is a pvp reward. Though i really wouldnt mind one that we could learn I:

Mastermind
Feb 16, 2009
amajuoyi12 wrote:
I know this might sound insane but I am starting to get the feeling that storm is becoming a little underpowered. Yes there spells can do massive amount of damage but still. One thing I think is really under powering storm is how every other school besides life and balance has high powered DOT spells. Since I became a legendary diviner I have devoted my time to improving my pvp skills. But people will just spam themselves with storm shields the second they see a storm walk into the room. I dont really like being all those treasure cards for pvp so no matter what shield I have up because almost all schools now have DOT spells my shield is as good as use less, unless I have like 4 on me, which usually doesnt happen. But for me, after putting time to boost my leviathan for a one hit kill they will throw up one storm shield and all my work is gone. Even if it wasnt like the strongest DOT spell ever, having one would really help in many ways. Please explain if you disagree or agree with me.

There are actually two petsthat can give a Storm DOT. One can be brought with crowns, the other, ironically, can be brought with Arena Tickets. Storm Elf and Storm Hound are their names. The Storm Hound Pet is also a drop from Malistaire.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
amajuoyi12 wrote:

Have you considered using a prism? Let them spam 3 or 4 storm shields, then cast a prism and hit them so that you bypass all those shields.

A+ Student
Jan 05, 2009
Ummm, why not surprise them and drop in a storm convert to myth prism at the last minute?

Historian
May 01, 2010
you can also use 2 of your training points to learn fire elf, then go to the bazaar, and buy some mutations for storm elf it is 30+275 over 3 turns i think

Illuminator
Feb 09, 2009
First, this belongs in PvP. Second, I don't get how you go from "Storm is underpowered" to "Storm needs a DoT". Storm doesn't need a DoT; technically no school besides Fire should have a DoT because that's Fire's specialty. Why don't you just use a Storm to Myth?

Squire
Apr 11, 2010
Storm has so many disadvantages yet KI keeps doing nothing but increasing their damage power instead of giving them a break with other things that could be a little more useful such as an official DoT spell that can be trained instead of something being limited by a pet or gear or by some mutation.

It is interesting how they have just as much accuracy as everybody else at legendary and grandmaster, given they have so much power. I say increase their base legendary health and decrease their accuracy a little bit. It almost as if when a wizard reaches grandmaster-legendary their weaknesses tend to disappear with gear. At least as far as accuracy and health goes.

Yet, I say be happy with your 68% attack boost. This pretty much halves the effect of storm shields and you can just blow right through tower shields as if they weren't even there. All you need is a storm bubble and when when you hit with a kraken or something, you'll still be doing about 600 damage or more. And at just 2 power pips that's a bargain. You're not underpowered. You just have more disadvantages compared to other schools with your sad health and spell set.

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
Lol underpowered you know dot effects belong too the fire school a lot of spells have stolen them.The storm school is already pretty powerful at a high level accuracy is not a problem.So um no more dot spells when you can use triton with a blade and trap and do over 2000 you dont need anymore power.

Astrologist
Aug 13, 2009
Storm, I believe, should be all ready fast enough at the kill by the time the opponent could slap down a shield. Now, really, is storm underpowered? Their spells are sickeningly powerful and if you have great strategy, you'd work your way around pesky shields. There's no need to think Storm underpowered, in my book.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Storm is underpowered? Do you have anything to actually back up your claim? The only thing storm lacks is health. A little more than 2200 at Legendary compared to ice at 3600 at legendary. Storms damage boost from gear is 64% with 26% accuracy increase. While Ice is at 28% damage boost and 9% accuracy increase. A 2 pip WildBolt with Gargantuan can do over 4000 damage! These are facts, not exaggerations like most people have used. Ice is given 37% resist all, yes, but storm does have 36% resist to fire and ice whom are both given a 70% shield to storm.

As far as this post belonging to PvP, what makes you think that? What about this has any bearing on PvP?

Mastermind
Jun 13, 2009
yes storm needs a DOT spell and its not elf. i think our next rank 9 spell should be a DOT !!!!!!!!

storm can hardly win in PVP anymore, omre often than not storm is taken out first in team duels and any legend can defeat you with a one hit critical!

Armiger
Feb 25, 2009
NicoUzumaki wrote:
yes storm needs a DOT spell and its not elf. i think our next rank 9 spell should be a DOT !!!!!!!!

storm can hardly win in PVP anymore, omre often than not storm is taken out first in team duels and any legend can defeat you with a one hit critical!

I agree Nico. Even though my storm wizard is only level 31 right now, it would be nice to have a DOT but I also think it would help if our storm wizards had a little more health. Although I don't PvP, storm's health is so low that it only takes one good hit with a critical to back it up. Our strongest spells work well if we have the time to build on them but that is not always the case. The only thing I can suggest is to make sure you have plenty of Tower Shields in TC's and use every time you can get one to show.

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
NicoUzumaki wrote:

Sorry no way storm already has some powerful spells anyways like i said earlier dot belongs too the fire school. I hope from know on all schools except the fire school dont get anymore dot spells fire has kinda been cheated.You dont need dot spells evan with a 80% storm shield at legendary a storm wizard with a blade can still do over a thousand with triton storm is really powerful.

Hero
Jan 24, 2010
Think about the magic schools for a moment, in the context of how they reflect the real world phenomena the schools are based on.

Storms hit hard and fast, and then the sky clears up, the storm blows away; storm spells do the same type of damage.

Fire works by stoking, feeding, and building up to a conflagration, thus fire spells are often DOT.

Ice is slow and certain, like an iceberg, and wears obstacles down.

Death drains health and draws life energy away.

Balance draws on all of the elements and dishes out judgement, like the law symbol that represents it.

Life is able to heal and do damage, just like real life.

Myth is the realm of dreams and fantasy, thus myth spells reflect those dreams from human existence.

I said all of that to say that I disagree that Storm needs or deserves another DOT spell.

Iridian/Scarlet/Rowan/Moira