Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

Earthquake+stun block=no more stun block?

AuthorMessage
Historian
May 01, 2010
ok this isnt towards me but it is bound to happen sometime in pvp so...

anyone reading this post plz plz plz dont get any ideas, cause then this message bored will be even more littered with threads like this one

i have never witnessed this type of chain stunning, in fact, i have NEVER witnessed any chain stunning, when i got my stun, it was already fixed

ok if there is a 4v4 with 3 myths and 1 ice, fire or someone who can stun everyone for 2 pips, they go first, the line up it going from sun to moon, or sword to spiral, myth, myth, myth, anyone that stuns. against any random people ok so firest turn everyone blades except for the one who stuns, he stuns, then the next turn, the first person earthquakes, getting the blocks off, then the others blade again, stunner stuns, everyone except for stunner and first one has 4 power pips and the stunner has 2 and first has one. ok so it keps going in taht order untill all of them are dead, and since they cannot make a turn, it should be fairly quick

now, a lot of things could go wrong, that is just the best cas senario

so ki, on the next update( maybe the 5/1/11 one, if that is an update) could you make earthquake so it DOESNT take away stun blocks?

Delver
Mar 15, 2009
slammer111 wrote:

anyone reading this post plz plz plz dont get any ideas, cause then this message bored will be even more littered with threads like this one

i have never witnessed this type of chain stunning, in fact, i have NEVER witnessed any chain stunning, when i got my stun, it was already fixed

ok if there is a 4v4 with 3 myths and 1 ice, fire or someone who can stun everyone for 2 pips, they go first, the line up it going from sun to moon, or sword to spiral, myth, myth, myth, anyone that stuns. against any random people ok so firest turn everyone blades except for the one who stuns, he stuns, then the next turn, the first person earthquakes, getting the blocks off, then the others blade again, stunner stuns, everyone except for stunner and first one has 4 power pips and the stunner has 2 and first has one. ok so it keps going in taht order untill all of them are dead, and since they cannot make a turn, it should be fairly quick

so ki, on the next update( maybe the 5/1/11 one, if that is an update) could you make earthquake so it DOESNT take away stun blocks?

yes make earthquake so it dont take off stun blocks,but do it only in PvP leave the rest of the game alone.
Enough of messing up spells for the non-PvPers why should the rest of us have to pay the price just because some PvPers don't like a spell.

Let the PvPers have the "fixed spells" and leave non-PvPers spells alone!!

Michael RedBlood lev. 60

Defender
Dec 04, 2010
The point of Earthquake is to remove ALL charms and wards. It already has too many cons! For example, it hardly does any damage, it isn't at a really good accuracy rate, and it even removes negative charms and wards. Now you want it to not take stun block away?

Your idea will weaken Myth Wizards extremely. I understand you have never been chain stunned, but this is a bad idea, even though I am a Balance wizard.

~Justin Hawkhammer, Level 51 Grandmaster Sorcerer

Adherent
May 20, 2010
If that happens as you say, it should probably be fixed. You might also send in a ticket to Support.

Defender
Sep 28, 2010
I was in pvp before and the storm stunned us with storm lord.Then a myth used earthquake then 2 fire wizards attacked us then the storm used storm lord then the myth used earthqauke.Then both the fire wizards used fire dragon.So um i agree chain stunning is bad.Something needs too be done.Hunter firebreath level 60 pyromancer.

Geographer
Aug 28, 2010
Isn't there a spell that puts up a block for the next two stuns, that can't be removed by Earthquake?
I can't remember right now, but I thought I remembered a spell in my deck, that would put a ring around me, to block the next two stund spells. I don't think that it cost any pips either. Maybe I'm wrong, and I need to look at my deck and test this spell out.

If I am right, maybe this is why they generated this spell, as a counter to Earthquake, Lord, etc.

Joseph LionHunter.

Defender
Aug 08, 2010
Lion359 wrote:
Isn't there a spell that puts up a block for the next two stuns, that can't be removed by Earthquake?
I can't remember right now, but I thought I remembered a spell in my deck, that would put a ring around me, to block the next two stund spells. I don't think that it cost any pips either. Maybe I'm wrong, and I need to look at my deck and test this spell out.

If I am right, maybe this is why they generated this spell, as a counter to Earthquake, Lord, etc.

Joseph LionHunter.

Yes, there is a spell that does that. You learn it from Diego. You must reach the PvP rank of sergeant (I think) first though. It lasts longer than two rounds and it has a 90% chance of blocking stuns and critical attacks.

Survivor
Mar 02, 2009
Easily countered. Diego offers a spell at veteran rank (I keep forgetting the name.) that gives a high percentage to block all stun spells that hit you. Chain Stunning has been rendered useless by this spell, I think it is Conviction? Any way, get it and use it and no chain stunning myths will ever cause you strife.

Survivor
Oct 26, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joseph LionHunter.

Its called conviction, it lasts 4 rounds not 2 stuns and blocks both stuns and critical.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joseph LionHunter.

Yes, I believe they did make a new stun block that Diego teaches. However, these cost training points. If you have used your training points before this update, you will have to spend real money to buy your training points back in order to learn this spell.

However, the spell will only work if you go first and it happens to come up in your deck, otherwise, you will not get a chance to even cast a spell.

Best suggestion I have heard, is instead of putting up stun shields after a stun, to give the target a conviction aura or stun block aura that earthquake can not remove!

Survivor
Aug 10, 2009
Lion359 wrote:

Joseph LionHunter.

This still gets taken away with earthquake so no it didnt fix it just like the 4 stun shields gets taken away I am sure they are working hard at trying to solve this but everytime they try its a fail.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joseph LionHunter.

Hey Joseph. There is a stun block ice spell that they recently moved over to Diego (I think it used to be taught by Sabrina Greenstar) and apparently changed just a bit. While it used to just throw up one stun block shield, it now throws up two. However, it is still a ward and should therefore be subject to earthquake, pierce, and steal ward. I'll go test it out with my son and let you know.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
Lion359 wrote:

Joseph LionHunter.

Hey Lion, just following up. Ok, I tested stun block with my old ice (who has had it for a very long time) and my daughter's new ice who didn't have it until she visited Diego today. First, its still working like the old one which only throws up one stun shield, so KI, if you're reading this... it doesn't do what you changed the card to say it does. Second, it is still a ward, so pierce, steal ward, and earthquake all still affect it and if they don't get it to put 2 stun shields up like it says it does now, pierce and steal ward will be able to will be able to take it away immediately. Therefore, the only real defense against earthquake followed by a stunning spell is still the star spell conviction, which covers you for 4 rounds, period. Of course, it only gives you a 90% chance to block stun, but those are pretty good odds.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
slammer111 wrote:

Hey slammer111. To my knowledge, fire and myth are the only two schools who can stun all for 2 pips. In theory, the scenario you describe could work (myth, myth, myth, fire or myth), but among the problems with sustaining it is that it would require near constant power pips, special purpose deck building (not out of the question), first round advantage, and absolutely no failure in terms of luck... ie, no fizzle from anyone ever, no strings of white pips, etc. If all of those requirements aren't met, then chances are any team who sees 3 or more myth will cast conviction immediately and then, as I see it, the team would be in real trouble because their decks wouldn't be rounded enough to deal with counter attacks.

Fire (if its involved) would never build up enough pips to do more than stun. Neither myth nor fire can do big damage & stun so that means you're going to have to do all your damage with earthquake. Its doable, especially with good critical chance, but it will take a lot longer than say, storm lord. That means the odds of keeping it up round after round aren't good and all that time the other team is building pips. If there is one break in the chain and the other team isn't dead yet, an ice or a storm could stun them and do serious damage to all likely 2 rounds in a row. Is it possible to pull off? Probably. Is it possible to pull off most of the time? Probably not. That's likely why you've never seen it in the arena.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
slammer111 wrote:

Hey slammer111. To my knowledge, fire and myth are the only two schools who can stun all for 2 pips. In theory, the scenario you describe could work (myth, myth, myth, fire or myth), but among the problems with sustaining it is that it would require near constant power pips, special purpose deck building (not out of the question), first round advantage, and absolutely no failure in terms of luck... ie, no fizzle from anyone ever, no strings of white pips, etc. If all of those requirements aren't met, then chances are any team who sees 3 or more myth will cast conviction immediately and then, as I see it, the team would be in real trouble because their decks wouldn't be rounded enough to deal with counter attacks.

Fire (if its involved) would never build up enough pips to do more than stun. Neither myth nor fire can do big damage & stun so that means you're going to have to do all your damage with earthquake. Its doable, especially with good critical chance, but it will take a lot longer than say, storm lord. That means the odds of keeping it up round after round aren't good and all that time the other team is building pips. If there is one break in the chain and the other team isn't dead yet, an ice or a storm could stun them and do serious damage to all likely 2 rounds in a row. Is it possible to pull off? Probably. Is it possible to pull off most of the time? Probably not. That's likely why you've never seen it in the arena.

Please check out my post of PvP Scenario 2, could you not find a way there? Oh, it is more possible than you realize, considering myth can have 99% accuracy without pet or 104 to 105% with pet, Fire can have 94% accuracy without pet and 99 to 100% with pet, storm can have 94 to 96% without pet and 99,100,101, to 102% accuracy with pet. Power pip percentages can be substancially increased at the cost of healing, but if you can't be hit, who needs to heal? This scenario can take place a lot more than people realize, it's just good that most people don't realize it!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Please check out my post of PvP Scenario 2, could you not find a way there? Oh, it is more possible than you realize, considering myth can have 99% accuracy without pet or 104 to 105% with pet, Fire can have 94% accuracy without pet and 99 to 100% with pet, storm can have 94 to 96% without pet and 99,100,101, to 102% accuracy with pet. Power pip percentages can be substancially increased at the cost of healing, but if you can't be hit, who needs to heal? This scenario can take place a lot more than people realize, it's just good that most people don't realize it!

I don't disagree with what you've said at all. Its definitely possible. It just seems to me that you have to make a lot of sacrifices (healing capability, deck compromises so you can always have the spells you need when you need them, etc) to make it work and then you always have that number one thing you cannot control, the need for a first round advantage. It just seems to me that you leave yourself wide open when you don't get first round advantage and without 100% chance of both power pips and accuracy you end up opening yourself to a window of opportunity for the other team which again seems to me to make it a very fragile strategy.

I could easily be missing something, but I don't see how you could construct a deck to give you exactly the spells you need when you need them for this to work while at the same time having enough depth in your deck to survive a real counterattack. If that is indeed the case, it would only take 4 or 5 first round advantage losses before many (most) players become demoralized with this strategy. Anyway... that's my opinion on it.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I don't disagree with what you've said at all. Its definitely possible. It just seems to me that you have to make a lot of sacrifices (healing capability, deck compromises so you can always have the spells you need when you need them, etc) to make it work and then you always have that number one thing you cannot control, the need for a first round advantage. It just seems to me that you leave yourself wide open when you don't get first round advantage and without 100% chance of both power pips and accuracy you end up opening yourself to a window of opportunity for the other team which again seems to me to make it a very fragile strategy.

I could easily be missing something, but I don't see how you could construct a deck to give you exactly the spells you need when you need them for this to work while at the same time having enough depth in your deck to survive a real counterattack. If that is indeed the case, it would only take 4 or 5 first round advantage losses before many (most) players become demoralized with this strategy. Anyway... that's my opinion on it.

Making sure you have the spells you need, is very easy, considering the use of treasure cards. Earthquake + Gargantuan, Storm Lord + Gargantuan, you can buy stun all for myth and fire at the bazaar, or probably make them easily with a keen eyes for better accuracy. Then you just need to stack your deck with shields and Blades.

With your concern on first turn superiority, yes it is never a gaurantee, however, how many people use conviction right off the bat? Although that is a great strategy to use it, it also leaves you open, which is why a lot of people shield, so a first round stun, followed by an earthquake and a second round stun is not all that far off.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Making sure you have the spells you need, is very easy, considering the use of treasure cards. Earthquake + Gargantuan, Storm Lord + Gargantuan, you can buy stun all for myth and fire at the bazaar, or probably make them easily with a keen eyes for better accuracy. Then you just need to stack your deck with shields and Blades.

With your concern on first turn superiority, yes it is never a gaurantee, however, how many people use conviction right off the bat? Although that is a great strategy to use it, it also leaves you open, which is why a lot of people shield, so a first round stun, followed by an earthquake and a second round stun is not all that far off.

I see what you're saying. I think at this point its important to mention that I differentiate chain stunning from multi stun offensives. I see chain stunning as never ever giving the other team a chance to play which is what people used to complain about. A multi stun offensive might keep them stunned 2, possibly 3 rounds in a row (which I'm sure is enough with first round advantage) but generally a window would open up for the other team (if they're still alive) at that point. I'm actually not a big fan of team PvP (I prefer solo and have only done a couple of 2v2 rounds) so I don't know... can you choose the order your team appears in? If so, then this would explain how one can guarantee these sorts of set ups, but it would also seem easy enough to fix by simply randomizing the order at join time. I suppose I should actually play a few 4v4 rounds before you take my opinion on this too seriously... but:

What you described for deck prep is what I had in mind and in my opinion, it does leave you vulnerable if there is a break for the other team to counter attack. You have to put either one kind of card in your side deck, or have a side deck so small as to not be able to make it through more than a few rounds. Your main deck is just blades and shields, so now you are a specialized cog in the 4v4 machine. A concentrated counter attack killing even one member of your team leaves your entire strategy in peril. If you start introducing other cards (healing, etc) to either your sidedeck or your main deck, you increase the chances of not having what you need when you need it.

You're right, most people don't use conviction right off the bat (or stun shields for that matter), at least not right now. If you started seeing a lot of chain stunning again, then I'm sure you would start seeing stun shields first round which would not only tell the first position what kind of team they are fighting, but prevent it from starting in the first place. I guess what I'm saying is that while its possible (and even plausible at the moment), it becomes a very fragile strategy as soon as people start seeing it a lot. Any strategy, even a good one, becomes fragile when its too predictable. In my opinion, if anticipated much at all, this one has a 50/50 chance... ie first round advantage.

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

I see what you're saying. I think at this point its important to mention that I differentiate chain stunning from multi stun offensives. I see chain stunning as never ever giving the other team a chance to play which is what people used to complain about. A multi stun offensive might keep them stunned 2, possibly 3 rounds in a row (which I'm sure is enough with first round advantage) but generally a window would open up for the other team (if they're still alive) at that point. I'm actually not a big fan of team PvP (I prefer solo and have only done a couple of 2v2 rounds) so I don't know... can you choose the order your team appears in? If so, then this would explain how one can guarantee these sorts of set ups, but it would also seem easy enough to fix by simply randomizing the order at join time. I suppose I should actually play a few 4v4 rounds before you take my opinion on this too seriously... but:

What you described for deck prep is what I had in mind and in my opinion, it does leave you vulnerable if there is a break for the other team to counter attack. You have to put either one kind of card in your side deck, or have a side deck so small as to not be able to make it through more than a few rounds. Your main deck is just blades and shields, so now you are a specialized cog in the 4v4 machine. A concentrated counter attack killing even one member of your team leaves your entire strategy in peril. If you start introducing other cards (healing, etc) to either your sidedeck or your main deck, you increase the chances of not having what you need when you need it.

You're right, most people don't use conviction right off the bat (or stun shields for that matter), at least not right now. If you started seeing a lot of chain stunning again, then I'm sure you would start seeing stun shields first round which would not only tell the first position what kind of team they are fighting, but prevent it from starting in the first place. I guess what I'm saying is that while its possible (and even plausible at the moment), it becomes a very fragile strategy as soon as people start seeing it a lot. Any strategy, even a good one, becomes fragile when its too predictable. In my opinion, if anticipated much at all, this one has a 50/50 chance... ie first round advantage.

I agree completely, with any strategy, there is typically a counter. With this scenario though, if the team is set on the chain stun and know what they are doing, it will work as long as they do get 1st turn. If not, it varies on what the other team does on their first turn, which does leave many changes possible in the scenario.

I am glad that this setup is not seen more often, it would seriously ruin multiplayer PvP.

Oh and to answer your question, no, you can't specifically choose the order of your team, it is all random, however, with 2 myth, 1 fire, and 1 storm, I am not sure what difference any order would make.

As far as living through any attacks once the chain stuns were in place, if the other team does not get any chance to shield or stun block, then there is no chance. Storm alone with 2 or 3 blades has enough power to completely wipe out any team with a gargantuan storm lord!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:

You know what might "fix" it... KI could make an amulet that gives you stun block just like bosses and elites... they could even make it just for the arena. At higher levels, that's quite a trade off because you can either block stun, or use one of those other special purpose amulets. Its just a random thought. :D

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

You know what might "fix" it... KI could make an amulet that gives you stun block just like bosses and elites... they could even make it just for the arena. At higher levels, that's quite a trade off because you can either block stun, or use one of those other special purpose amulets. Its just a random thought. :D

That is a great idea! That would be one to put in the ideas forum, but since it is your idea, I will let you do the honors. Excellent idea though!

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:
Oh and to answer your question, no, you can't specifically choose the order of your team, it is all random, however, with 2 myth, 1 fire, and 1 storm, I am not sure what difference any order would make.

Well, I guess my thought was, if you had the two myth on standby with quakes to keep stun shields off, wouldn't it mess you up if they were both last in the order? Fire stuns round one, round two no one can quake before another stun... Well, I guess you could compensate by having both of the myth also have blinding light in addition to quake and we've already established that they (the myth) would have had to make compromises to get 100% power pip chance... along with all accuracy enhanced treasure cards so that casting is always 100% accuracy. I apologize for all this thinking out loud... Like I say, I haven't done 4v4 so there's different dynamics to think about that I don't usually consider.

So finishing through this thought...

Round 1: Fire stuns
Round 2: First myth quakes, second myth stuns
Round 3: Fire still can't stun, first myth can't quake, second myth can...

ok, so, unless I'm missing something, should that order happen, unless the other team is wiped out on the first half of round 3, they will get one un-stunned round on the second half of round 3. That should be do-able unless they all have 50ish% storm resistance. Did I miss anything, or is that an accurate scenario?

Armiger
May 10, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

Well, I guess my thought was, if you had the two myth on standby with quakes to keep stun shields off, wouldn't it mess you up if they were both last in the order? Fire stuns round one, round two no one can quake before another stun... Well, I guess you could compensate by having both of the myth also have blinding light in addition to quake and we've already established that they (the myth) would have had to make compromises to get 100% power pip chance... along with all accuracy enhanced treasure cards so that casting is always 100% accuracy. I apologize for all this thinking out loud... Like I say, I haven't done 4v4 so there's different dynamics to think about that I don't usually consider.

So finishing through this thought...

Round 1: Fire stuns
Round 2: First myth quakes, second myth stuns
Round 3: Fire still can't stun, first myth can't quake, second myth can...

ok, so, unless I'm missing something, should that order happen, unless the other team is wiped out on the first half of round 3, they will get one un-stunned round on the second half of round 3. That should be do-able unless they all have 50ish% storm resistance. Did I miss anything, or is that an accurate scenario?

In that scenario,

Round 1: 2nd myth stuns
round 2: 1st myth quakes 2nd myth stuns
Round 3: All attacks, Fire Dragon, Storm Lord, Quake

Anyway you look at it, without the 2nd team having shields, if storm and fire use blades that do not require pips, Team is finished!

No Team can survive 2 Earthquakes, Meteor strike or Fire Dragon with 2 blades, Storm Lord with 2 blades, especially since you can use gargantuan on all these attacks.

Astrologist
Jun 04, 2010
darthjt wrote:

In that scenario,

Anyway you look at it, without the 2nd team having shields, if storm and fire use blades that do not require pips, Team is finished!

No Team can survive 2 Earthquakes, Meteor strike or Fire Dragon with 2 blades, Storm Lord with 2 blades, especially since you can use gargantuan on all these attacks.

No question this can work with first turn advantage and also no question that most of the time it can go off without a hitch. However, I do still have a couple questions if you can indulge me. With myth, I see you can get 100% accuracy with crafted gear and there are +21% power pip athame and ring... but that just gets you to 82% power pip chance. How do you configure them for 100% accuracy with 100% power pip chance? Initially, I was just wondering about the myth, but, the question really applies to all of them since the fire and storm will have to have at least 7 pips on round 3.

At this point, its all intellectual curiosity. I mostly ask just for the gargantuan issue. I'm not ruling out a specially hatched pet as the filler here, but I'm just not seeing how you can get 100% power pip, with 100% accuracy in order to use gargantuan on round 3 instead of sniper or some similar card. It just strikes me as a very tight window. With both myth at the end, you chain stunning gaps after round 2 which means that there can be absolutely no fizzle and no lack of pips on your way to the top of round three. Of course, fire would always have meteor which can be gargantuaned without needing full power pip chance, and storm could go with gargantuan tempest instead of storm lord since lord's stun would be useless at this point as well... so I guess really its just the two myth that must have 100% accuracy and 100% power pip. How would you do that with gear only?

Historian
May 01, 2010
gtarhannon wrote:
darthjt wrote:

In that scenario,

No question this can work with first turn advantage and also no question that most of the time it can go off without a hitch. However, I do still have a couple questions if you can indulge me. With myth, I see you can get 100% accuracy with crafted gear and there are +21% power pip athame and ring... but that just gets you to 82% power pip chance. How do you configure them for 100% accuracy with 100% power pip chance? Initially, I was just wondering about the myth, but, the question really applies to all of them since the fire and storm will have to have at least 7 pips on round 3.

At this point, its all intellectual curiosity. I mostly ask just for the gargantuan issue. I'm not ruling out a specially hatched pet as the filler here, but I'm just not seeing how you can get 100% power pip, with 100% accuracy in order to use gargantuan on round 3 instead of sniper or some similar card. It just strikes me as a very tight window. With both myth at the end, you chain stunning gaps after round 2 which means that there can be absolutely no fizzle and no lack of pips on your way to the top of round three. Of course, fire would always have meteor which can be gargantuaned without needing full power pip chance, and storm could go with gargantuan tempest instead of storm lord since lord's stun would be useless at this point as well... so I guess really its just the two myth that must have 100% accuracy and 100% power pip. How would you do that with gear only?

yea that would be the best case senario, lots of things can go wrong, but really, with the pp% and accuruacy, its most likely to happen that way, but yea, i bet they could adapt if anything goes wrong (i mean most people would have a backup, right?)