Welcome to the Wizard101 Message Boards

Player Guide
Fansites
News
Game Updates
Help

Follow important game updates on Twitter @Wizard101 and @KI_Alerts, and Facebook!

For all account questions and concerns, contact Customer Support.

By posting on the Wizard101 Message Boards you agree to the Code of Conduct.

What is your secondary school and why?

AuthorMessage
Explorer
Dec 24, 2008
My secondary is fire, for some heavy damage potential. Effectively buffing a death spell sometimes takes so long that I might as well use a few buffs, shield myself extensivly, then use a Helephant for mass carnage.
Having learned all useful fire spells, I now am learning myth spells. With the current number of traning points in-game, I should be able to master that as well.

Survivor
Jul 10, 2009
I'm a level 17 Necromancer and I chose Life as my secondary school. Some people think that something like Storm would be better since Death wizards can already sort of heal, but being able to heal your teammates is essential in a long battle. Plus, certain creatures like Lord Nightshade are practically immune to Death spells (but yet vulnerable to Life) so having a good variety can mean the difference of whether you win or lose a duel in certain cases. : )

-Scarlet Angelbane

Survivor
Jul 30, 2009
Just started Main school is Ice, somewhat secondary is storm. although I have from life as well

Survivor
Dec 19, 2008
Life. I thought the tree was pretty.

Christo Rainbowpants, necromancer.

Survivor
Jun 13, 2009
My secondary school is myth. I made it my secondary class cause I love the earthquake spell.
~ Quinn Legenddreamer lv 26 Adept Pyromancer

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I am a level 25 theurgist. I chose balance for my secondary school, and it is really helpful. It doesn't have a bunch of powerful attacks, but it has spells like Weakness and Power Play, which can be really helpful during a hard battle when you need an extra bit of oomph to get you the win. Plus, the scorpion is cool! :D

Defender
Dec 14, 2008
I think the person who wrote this has NEVER EVER made or played a fire-myth or possible death
so tell me HOW MANY CONVERTS CAN YOU FIT IN YOUR DECK? maximum of 7 with a dragonspyre deck and let me tell you something it isnt easy to find a convert for all of your attacks especially when you are fire or myth with the double attack and DOT's.... and it also sounds like you never in youe life PVP'ed lol... as soon as they figure out what you are they shield for youe school and your opposite school..... secondary schools are quite important also fire has almost 0 heal spells just pixie and link.... so it would also be hard to this.....
lets see you make it through the entire game without a secondary school....
also if you are death any life enemy will shield like there is no tomorrow.....
SECONDARY SCHOOLS ARE GOOD!

Survivor
Apr 17, 2009
I'm a Balance Student and choose Myth as my secondary school. This is mainly because the Humongofrog was a good spell, and Earthquake. Once I reach Time of Legend, which is my next spell, I'm going to start my Life training, since even though my deck if filled with sheild, power ups, and my most powerful attack cards, I always seem to die. Even though Helping Hands helps, It's not enough to keep me alive. Satyr should help me alot. :)

Courtney StarHeart
Level 27 Balance/Myth/Soon to be Life wizard

Defender
Mar 08, 2009
Nobody in this whole topic EVER stated that secondary schools were bad. The only "wrong" secondary schools are the ones like fire and storm. Life for healing, myth for earthquake, Ice for tower shield, death for feint, The balance tree spells, and balance for weakness( mostly for pvp ) are PLENTY of examples of good things to put your training points in. Think think think. Assuming you gain power pips every round ( which you basically do in the later levels ) here is an example: You have 5 power pips. That stormzilla for 700 damage looks much more tasty than that 550 from centaur,BUT if you used centaur then next turn you would ALSO be able to use it again making a total of 1100 damage much more tasty then 700 :D Understand now?

Joseph Liferider Level 48 Life private
Joseph Sandrider Level 29 ( but in Mooshu) Balance Warlord

Survivor
Dec 16, 2008
Ansem789 wrote:
My school is storm, because I'm a fire and storm is very powerful so I decide that fire and storm is very powerful.
my school is fire but i do storm to

Defender
Mar 09, 2009
Survivor
Jul 02, 2009
I am fire so I chose balance. I did this because it has power play, which increases your power pip chance by 35%. This gets you more power pips. Since power pips count double for your primary, which is fire in my case, they allow you to instantly play your fire elves, thus piling them up for massive damage. He is a level 3, but I have reached level 31 before. Thanks to West Karana, I know how to build a efficient deck. Therefore, I know the only secondary balance card worth using is power play (besides reshuffle), as it is the only card that supports fire significantly.

Survivor
May 11, 2009
Depending on your main school, taking a secondary school primarily "for damage" isn't strictly the wrong choice.

First obvious example: Balance. With their generic buffs and Elemental/Spirit Blades and Traps, they can pretty much absorb any secondary school's spells and use them to such effect that their damage is not irrelevant. We still burn pips a little faster than if we'd stuck with own own school, sure, but here's the thing about Balance; you *can't* even guess what their secondary school is, so really the only defense you have against a Balance Wizard is a Tower Shield or Spirit/Ice Armor (or winning faster). Add to that the Balance Wizard that usually carries Spectral Blast and you have a Wizard that can viably be attacking you with 5 different schools; Balance (obv), Fire/Ice/Storm (via Spectral Blast) and the school of your choice.

Next: Death. Death has a handful of generic buffs in Feint and Curse. Compare to Balance's generics; Balanceblade + Hex is a 55% boost in attack whereas Feint and Curse add up to 90%. Death schoolers can reasonably find an alternate route to victory without completely ruining their synergy with their regular Death spells.

Also: Those handy Balance spells that Niles teaches allow a given wizard to make use of 'adjacent' schools without blowing their tempo entirely. It's entirely logical to make the most of the Elemental/Spirit Blades and/or Traps by playing a school that you were boosting anyway. Half the time you end up doing this accidentally as a smart wizard will carry the opposing wand to their primary school - save Myth/Storm, you will be boosting your wand spells already by casting the Blades.

Survivor
Jun 30, 2009
I am an Ice wizard and my secondary is Fire. I chose Fire because Ice an Fire are complete oposites. It helps when I'm in a battle when the the evil person is my type of wizard.

Survivor
May 23, 2009
death for two reasons:

1. I get a +70% to next spell

2. I can heal with wraith!

so

Explorer
May 22, 2009
Tigerlily5902 wrote:
Quizzical wrote:
wizdud1 wrote:
Why do you think im doing this all wrong.

What do you want from your secondary profession? If you say damage, that's almost invariably the wrong answer.

High damage spells use a lot of pips. As such, in order to use one, you'll have to wait until you have a lot of pips. As you get high level, you'll get increasing percentages of power pips that kind of need to be used in your own school to be efficient.

Suppose, for example, that you wish to use Helephant but are not fire. 615-705 damage at a cost of 6 pips probably looks pretty nice if you're not storm.

Except that in the first six pips you get, perhaps three of them are power pips. If you use those six pips to cast Helephant anyway, you've essentially spent 9 pips to get 615-705 damage. You could do far better than that by using spells from your own school. For example, if you're life, which is perhaps the lowest damage school, a combination of Centaur and Nature's Wrath add up to 755-895 damage--far exceeding Helephant for the same 9 pips.

And it's worse than that actually. Blades that increase your damage are restricted to your primary school. Add Lifeblade and Life Trap to Centaur alone and you have 937-1082 damage. To make it a fair comparison, you'd have to add Fire Trap to Helephant and you get 768-821 damage. So now you're using a lot more pips to do a lot less damage--as compared to a "low" damage school.

If you try to salvage pips by only using Helephant once you have six normal pips, so that you don't waste power pips, then you could perhaps have to wait until you're 11 turns into the battle to cast a 6 pip spell. Meanwhile, with power pips accelerating the casts of your own school, you'd get Centaur off in perhaps 4 turns.

And we're not done yet. It gets worse. What happens if you fizzle? If trying to cast a six pip spell outside your school, you could easily have a full seven pips stored up. If that fizzles, then the next round, you don't get a pip at all. By taking advantage of power pips, you could probably try to cast Centaur with only four or five pips on your bar. If that fizzles, oh well, you get another pip and can try again.

So what is a secondary school good for? Things that won't waste power pips. If a spell only costs 0 or 1 pips, then it doesn't matter whether that spell is in your school. Most one pip spells aren't terribly nice, as they prevent the accumulation of pips.

Having a lot of zero pip spells, on the other hand, is vital. Using zero pip spells lets you store up pips so that you can cast something more powerful. A zero pip spell might not be that great compared to a five pip spell, but it's surely a lot better than a pass.

And as you get higher level, this becomes more important. It takes a lot more zero pip spells to save your pips for a 6 pip spell than for a 2 pip spell.

The zero pip shields, in particular, become more important as mobs become more powerful. Using a shield for -70% damage to blunt an attack that would have only hit you for 80 damage might not seem terribly impressive. If that attack would have hit you for 400 damage, decreasing that by 70% makes a huge difference.

OMG who has the time to write that?! anyway i am fire and i chose storm as my secondary school because its helpful to have really powerful spells even if the fizzle. But if i could do it again i would do storrm/life because you fizzle quite a bit if your storm and healing would be helpful

I agree with you dude. Storm is cool. I'm fire too. If you want a secondary school I think you should pick storm then have a spell to heal you in battle and extra points you should spend on elemental blades and stuff like that from Niles. I use to be secondary life, then Death, then Balance and now Storm. (Yeah I get sick of my spells sometimes and want new ones) By the way you can do it over! Just go to Mr.Lincoln in golem court and with crowns you can buy back training points and spend them on whatever you want! This is how I switched secondary schools.

Christopher Battlehunter level 38 Prymancer

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
wizdud1 wrote:
Hi my name is Oran Mythweilder and I would like to know what is your second school and why.When you post on this please say your character name and your level.

I am in Life and Fire, but if i could go back and do it again i would be Life and Myth because it Myth is very powerful.

Grace UnicornHorn
lvl 19
life&fire

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
ifuseekamy wrote:
I'm a Balance Student and choose Myth as my secondary school. This is mainly because the Humongofrog was a good spell, and Earthquake. Once I reach Time of Legend, which is my next spell, I'm going to start my Life training, since even though my deck if filled with sheild, power ups, and my most powerful attack cards, I always seem to die. Even though Helping Hands helps, It's not enough to keep me alive. Satyr should help me alot. :)

Courtney StarHeart

Life is a good choice, but keep in mind that in 3 lvls you will be in MooShu.
Grace UnicornHorn
lvl 19
life&fire

Defender
Jul 15, 2009
Jman232 wrote:
My main school is myth and my second school is FIRE!

Jeffrey lifethorn lv:28myth

I studied in myth, didn't like the power. Then I started studying in fire, and THAT was something. I don't hope your offended Cyrus, but I really think fire is a GREAT school. It dosn't fizzil very much for me, and the power and shields that come with it are AWSOME! I REALLY recommend fire as a second study.

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
zorro11 wrote:
Jman232 wrote:
My main school is myth and my second school is FIRE!

Jeffrey lifethorn lv:28myth

I studied in myth, didn't like the power. Then I started studying in fire, and THAT was something. I don't hope your offended Cyrus, but I really think fire is a GREAT school. It dosn't fizzil very much for me, and the power and shields that come with it are AWSOME! I REALLY recommend fire as a second study.

My fire fizzles only occasionally, but what did you not like about Myth?

Grace UnicornHorn
lvl19
life&fire

Survivor
May 23, 2009
LitterbugPie wrote:
ifuseekamy wrote:

Courtney StarHeart

Grace UnicornHorn
lvl 19
life&fire

not true! i waz lv42 when i got to mooshu

Explorer
Dec 26, 2009
siobhan221 wrote:
LitterbugPie wrote:
ifuseekamy wrote:

Courtney StarHeart

Grace UnicornHorn
lvl 19
life&fire

not true! i waz lv42 when i got to mooshu

Sorry for the false information, but my brother got there when he was lvl 30

Grace UnicornHorn
lvl20
life&fire

Survivor
Jan 11, 2010
Dakota Mistwalker, lvl49 pyro. My 2nd is Ice pretty much because its Fire's opposite and its good to know your enemy. Ice is also good at taking down enemy pyros.

Just remember you can have more than one deck. Just switch between them as needed, and keep different sets of clothing as extra defence and offence for your schools.

Survivor
Mar 22, 2010
Survivor
Mar 29, 2009
Quizzical wrote:
wizdud1 wrote:
Why do you think im doing this all wrong.

What do you want from your secondary profession? If you say damage, that's almost invariably the wrong answer.

High damage spells use a lot of pips. As such, in order to use one, you'll have to wait until you have a lot of pips. As you get high level, you'll get increasing percentages of power pips that kind of need to be used in your own school to be efficient.

Suppose, for example, that you wish to use Helephant but are not fire. 615-705 damage at a cost of 6 pips probably looks pretty nice if you're not storm.

Except that in the first six pips you get, perhaps three of them are power pips. If you use those six pips to cast Helephant anyway, you've essentially spent 9 pips to get 615-705 damage. You could do far better than that by using spells from your own school. For example, if you're life, which is perhaps the lowest damage school, a combination of Centaur and Nature's Wrath add up to 755-895 damage--far exceeding Helephant for the same 9 pips.

And it's worse than that actually. Blades that increase your damage are restricted to your primary school. Add Lifeblade and Life Trap to Centaur alone and you have 937-1082 damage. To make it a fair comparison, you'd have to add Fire Trap to Helephant and you get 768-821 damage. So now you're using a lot more pips to do a lot less damage--as compared to a "low" damage school.

If you try to salvage pips by only using Helephant once you have six normal pips, so that you don't waste power pips, then you could perhaps have to wait until you're 11 turns into the battle to cast a 6 pip spell. Meanwhile, with power pips accelerating the casts of your own school, you'd get Centaur off in perhaps 4 turns.

And we're not done yet. It gets worse. What happens if you fizzle? If trying to cast a six pip spell outside your school, you could easily have a full seven pips stored up. If that fizzles, then the next round, you don't get a pip at all. By taking advantage of power pips, you could probably try to cast Centaur with only four or five pips on your bar. If that fizzles, oh well, you get another pip and can try again.

So what is a secondary school good for? Things that won't waste power pips. If a spell only costs 0 or 1 pips, then it doesn't matter whether that spell is in your school. Most one pip spells aren't terribly nice, as they prevent the accumulation of pips.

Having a lot of zero pip spells, on the other hand, is vital. Using zero pip spells lets you store up pips so that you can cast something more powerful. A zero pip spell might not be that great compared to a five pip spell, but it's surely a lot better than a pass.

And as you get higher level, this becomes more important. It takes a lot more zero pip spells to save your pips for a 6 pip spell than for a 2 pip spell.

The zero pip shields, in particular, become more important as mobs become more powerful. Using a shield for -70% damage to blunt an attack that would have only hit you for 80 damage might not seem terribly impressive. If that attack would have hit you for 400 damage, decreasing that by 70% makes a huge difference.

But if you dont have a sencondary school you will have a very difficult time fighting a enemy of your own main class because they resist your main spells and you cannot just wait for that spell that changes your main type spell to the boost one so is better to learn another shool so you can have easyer time to fight a enemy of your own main school